Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
It's not going to affect the trade. It hasn't affected anything in the many years since it happened.

As we speak, he's representing the Eastern Conference as its Captain. It's a made-up hurdle at this point.
i
If past transgressions didn’t matter kadri would have been named captain or at least made the all star game with out having to be “last man in” let’s be honest here Mack hasn’t had an all star appearance year, hmm it’s like things do matter outside of points

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
i
If past transgressions didn’t matter kadri would have been named captain or at least made the all star game with out having to be “last man in” let’s be honest here Mack hasn’t had an all star appearance year, hmm it’s like things do matter outside of points

The All Star Game format is the reason that a lot of good players don't make the team. There are 11 total players, 7 forwards, 2 defensemen, 2 goalies. Every team has at least 1 representative.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I love what TBL did the last 2 years. And from a pick prospect perspective they overpaid for Savard and Goodrow and Coleman. And they won 2 cups and tbl fan don't care if they overpaid. Could TBL have won the cup without Savard? Good possibility. Was it worth pick 32, plus? Daniel Bryan would be chanting YES YES YES!

TBL COL, CAR and Vegas are the 4 teams that are so close they should not care a lick if they overpay (You can add Florida too. But Vegas Car TBL and Col for sure.) . I am not talking stupid overpays like Newhook. But 1 and a- propsect absolutely they should be interested.

Kadri has gone full Kadri for last 2 years. And needs a veteran backup plan if he goes full Kadri again. If Col fans wants to make the case Hertl is a better option than Giroux, I can make that case. But we don't need to make a move when Col is this close is just the wrong strategy.

Those players addressed tampa's needs. It's not like tampa went and got a goudreau. Avs are the same, we need help on D or bottom 6 grit more than top 6. And it's be nice if those guys are signed for two seasons at very low cost.

Giroux is probably a better target for Sakic in the offseason if the flyer's price is this high.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I love what TBL did the last 2 years. And from a pick prospect perspective they overpaid for Savard and Goodrow and Coleman. And they won 2 cups and tbl fan don't care if they overpaid. Could TBL have won the cup without Savard? Good possibility. Was it worth pick 32, plus? Daniel Bryan would be chanting YES YES YES!

TBL COL, CAR and Vegas are the 4 teams that are so close they should not care a lick if they overpay (You can add Florida too. But Vegas Car TBL and Col for sure.) . I am not talking stupid overpays like Newhook. But 1 and a- propsect absolutely they should be interested.

Kadri has gone full Kadri for last 2 years. And needs a veteran backup plan if he goes full Kadri again. If Col fans wants to make the case Hertl is a better option than Giroux, I can make that case. But we don't need to make a move when Col is this close is just the wrong strategy.

Which one of those Tampa trades also included a prospect like Barron in addition to the picks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Which one of those Tampa trades also included a prospect like Barron in addition to the picks?
Savard cost was a 1 3 and 4 for cap.
Anyone saying Giroux is less valuable than Savard we will agree to disagree. You want to keep Barron and say Col offer 2 1's top 15 protected picks instead. That is fine. The logic makes sense. Hopefully we agree if flyers want to choose a more ready prospect that makes sense too.

Coleman trade was Foote and VAN 1 NOT TBL 1. The pick would have been pick 11 if not for ARI moronic testing. Now we can go back and forth on Coleman salary and 1.5 years of control vs's Giroux's talent at 50% retention over Coleman. Coleman from a fit point of view fit tbl like a glove. But pick 11 and N Foote is an overpayment and worth every penny because it got TBL 2 cups.

Go back in the day when flyers traded for A Oates rental.
former 1st Maxime Ouellet who at the time was a legit goalie prospect.

Yes the picks/prospects all busted. It happens.
But the cost was former 1
future 1 2 3
for rental Oates.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Those players addressed tampa's needs. It's not like tampa went and got a goudreau. Avs are the same, we need help on D or bottom 6 grit more than top 6. And it's be nice if those guys are signed for two seasons at very low cost.

Giroux is probably a better target for Sakic in the offseason if the flyer's price is this high.
Number 1 priority is do avs trust Kuemper? Period. If not go after Fluery.

Now if you think defensive depth is more valuable that makes sense. In covid land you probably need 8 nhl defenseman and not 7 for playoffs. All legit arguments and if Colorado goes Fluery or D I get it. No harm no foul. If you rather acquire Giordano or Manson over Giroux I can see your point.

But I will ask. Do you trust Kadri will not go full Kadri again in the playoffs? If yes then ok then.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
If the Avs had more assets I’d agree, but Sakic already overpaid for Kuemper and the expendable asset cupboard is fairly empty. I think Giroux is the ideal target, but winning the cup is still insanely hard. If the Avs had a 10% chance to win the cup I’d say Giroux adds at best an extra 3-4%, as opposed to a player like Stastny who adds an extra ~1% chance and costs significantly less.

I could see Sakic maybe doing Barron + 1st if he was allowed to negotiate a contract extension with Giroux or get a general sense of what he was looking for, but if that doesn’t happen I think Sakic only offers Barron/1st + 2nd/3rd value.

I guess from the outside looking in they just seem so stacked as an organization lol.

I could see G re-signing in colorado if they let Kadri go. Ironically, the Flyers are probably the team that will overpay Kadri in free agency:help:

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Savard cost was a 1 3 and 4 for cap.
Anyone saying Giroux is less valuable than Savard we will agree to disagree. You want to keep Barron and say Col offer 2 1's top 15 protected picks instead. That is fine. The logic makes sense. Hopefully we agree if flyers want to choose a more ready prospect that makes sense too.

Coleman trade was Foote and VAN 1 NOT TBL 1. The pick would have been pick 11 if not for ARI moronic testing. Now we can go back and forth on Coleman salary and 1.5 years of control vs's Giroux's talent at 50% retention over Coleman. Coleman from a fit point of view fit tbl like a glove. But pick 11 and N Foote is an overpayment and worth every penny because it got TBL 2 cups.

Go back in the day when flyers traded for A Oates rental.
former 1st Maxime Ouellet who at the time was a legit goalie prospect.

Yes the picks/prospects all busted. It happens.
But the cost was former 1
future 1 2 3
for rental Oates.

And Savard ended up playing just 14 minutes per game in the playoffs on the third pairing, which makes it hard to justify even the 1st in hindsight. Or should we all pretend that he was key to the Bolts success in order to justify the massive overpayment for a 3rd pairing D?

On top of the great cap hit and extra control, Coleman didn't have a NMC, so NJ could shop him around to every team with playoff asperations to drive up the price. Giroux can name his destination, which makes that kind of bidding war much less likely. So, other than being added to a contender, there's not really many similarities to make the Coleman trade a great comparable. JT Miller would be a much better comparable for Coleman, and I'd pay more for him than I would for a pure rental like Giroux.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Number 1 priority is do avs trust Kuemper? Period. If not go after Fluery.

Now if you think defensive depth is more valuable that makes sense. In covid land you probably need 8 nhl defenseman and not 7 for playoffs. All legit arguments and if Colorado goes Fluery or D I get it. No harm no foul. If you rather acquire Giordano or Manson over Giroux I can see your point.

But I will ask. Do you trust Kadri will not go full Kadri again in the playoffs? If yes then ok then.

Yup, Kadri has played much more in control this season and he's having a fantastic year partially because of it. I also trust the Keumpher and Francouz (a career .923 SV). Winning a cup usually needs everything to go right so you just have to gamble on the guys who got you there. There's no way to plan for every contingency.

Avs have an big issue with defense right now with Byram out, so probably better to use resources there.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Jesus Christ, it was a stupid drunken prank like 8 f***ing years ago. Let it go.
CdMl.gif

looool idk why I thought of this

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Both JT Miller and Giroux would be great replacements for Kadri next year.

If the Avs can somehow try to land both at the deadline this year.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Faceoffs are completely irrelevant.

Not sure which comment is objectively more dumb. The one about G getting wasted and grabbing a cop’s ass in public, and that somehow being comparable to Kyle Beech and the Blackhawk situation and/or being a hurdle to a potential trade, or stating that face offs have zero relevance in the game of hockey.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Woah. That might cost us Compher AND Jost.

No such thing as having too much depth come playoff time. AVS need to win now.

Kadri is somehow going to find a way to get suspended this playoffs. So if the AVS want to add depth, they need 2 top 6 forwards for this playoffs.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
No such thing as having too much depth come playoff time. AVS need to win now.

Kadri is somehow going to find a way to get suspended this playoffs. So if the AVS want to add depth, they need 2 top 6 forwards for this playoffs.

I’m sure Kadri knows he can’t do that again especially with him wanting a pay day.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Augustwest

Feb 5, 2022
It’s not pettiness. The man sexually assaulted an officer. He is a career Flyers and doesn’t upgrade the LW or Centre position so overpaying him as a Centre not to use him as one is dumb.

Rangers have had a long outstanding relationship with NYPD and won’t jeopardize it bringing in a guy who thinks sexually assaulting people is a joke
As a retired 30 year NYPD vet i can honestly say that this is one of the dumbest things ive ever read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad