Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I could see the Avs parting with Byram as part of a package, as his health issues are a concern. If the ask is Byram and a 2023 1st (or something along those lines)? Make that deal pronto.

So much wrong with this proposal.

First off they aren’t trading Byram when he’s taking a break from hockey for mental health. That sheds a terrible light on the franchise.

Secondly, even if they were, that’s a massive overpayment for a rental. Giroux is a top tier player, but you’re paying for a couple dozen regular season games and hopefully a deep playoff run. You don’t give up your top prospect (who could have gotten Calder votes if he stayed healthy) and a 1st round pick for that.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
It does not matter what people think Giroux is worth. The Flyers are NOT trading him. With regard to the playoffs, the Flyers will always take the Jim Carrey approach from Dumb & Dumber..."so you are saying there is a chance".... Dumb & Dumber = Fletcher & Holmgren

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Fletcher has to win this trade, even if its contract year, one of the franchise best players ever and captain. You should get 1 asset that is very good. G has likely 2-3 very good years left, and team who gets him have chance to get him for more than one run.

Thats why if i'm Flyers I demand Byram, Newhook or from Rangers Schneider, Kakko etc. A really good prospect.

Different story if there is only one team where he wants to go, but if there is 2 you can make it a battle.
You can demand prospects like Byram or Newhook all you like, but no sane contending GM is going to trade ELC roster players contributing in key positions (i.e. 2LD and 3C) for a rental no matter how good that rental is.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I could see the Avs parting with Byram as part of a package, as his health issues are a concern. If the ask is Byram and a 2023 1st (or something along those lines)? Make that deal pronto.

1. The Avs aren't trading Byram.
2. Even if my some miracle of dumbassery the Avs do decide to trade Byram, it certainly won't be for a 34 year old rental who will be a UFA in 5 months.
3. You actually asked for a 1st along with Byram? Drugs are bad my man...

Repeat after me: My 34 year old, soon to be UFA, is not returning a top blue chip prospect.

So much wrong with this proposal.

First off they aren’t trading Byram when he’s taking a break from hockey for mental health. That sheds a terrible light on the franchise.

Holy speculation, Batman. Last we officially heard, Byram is suffering from lingering concussion symptoms. If you want to call that mental health issues, go for it. But that's not what it is.

Reactions: sethro109

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
1. The Avs aren't trading Byram.
2. Even if my some miracle of dumbassery the Avs do decide to trade Byram, it certainly won't be for a 34 year old rental who will be a UFA in 5 months.
3. You actually asked for a 1st along with Byram? Drugs are bad my man...

Repeat after me: My 34 year old, soon to be UFA, is not returning a top blue chip prospect.

Holy speculation, Batman. Last we officially heard, Byram is suffering from lingering concussion symptoms. If you want to call that mental health issues, go for it. But that's not what it is.
Byrams play this season teased a remarkable NHL player. A true number 1 alpha type. Easily a top pair player but Byram was the Avs best player in October, he was 20. That’s a guy that could develop into a true number 1 type. It may even be likely based on what we saw.

that guy isn’t getting traded. And hopefully, the Avs go out of their way to destroy someone on the next opponent that makes a run at his head like Kolesar, the Wild and Horvat did. Vengeance is called for.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I wouldn't trade Byram for Giroux and Philly's first

He's that good. Avs have the option to be very patient with his recovery, and he has all the makings of a sensational player. Non starter in any trade convo

pooch

May 30, 2017
I dont think any serious Flyers fans think Byram or Newhook is an option.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't trade Byram for Giroux and Philly's first

He's that good. Avs have the option to be very patient with his recovery, and he has all the makings of a sensational player. Non starter in any trade convo

As much as I like Byram, the last thing the Flyers should do is trade their best player for another young player with concussion issues. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again...

They will push hard for Newhook but I think would settle for a Barron level prospect + 2023 1st. Other teams will be interested and driving up the price.

Reactions: Spilot23

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I don't see Fletcher having the balls to go to Sakic and ask for newhook or Byram.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
But by the same token if it's a 1st and any other Avs prospect then I'd expect an additional pick in the return.

People are getting too caught up on details involving very specific assumptions, But no one knows how it will go in terms of what Giroux wants. Yes it’s a discussion board but this situation is completely wait and see.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As much as I like Byram, the last thing the Flyers should do is trade their best player for another young player with concussion issues. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again...

They will push hard for Newhook but I think would settle for a Barron level prospect + 2023 1st. Other teams will be interested and driving up the price.

If other teams are interested and driving up the price to the level where Newhook is even part of the ask, I think he's unlikely to end up in Colorado, because I don't see Sakic getting involved in a bidding war for a luxury rental when his team is already this strong. If you want that kind of return, you need a desperate GM, and I don't see why Sakic would be desperate.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
If other teams are interested and driving up the price to the level where Newhook is even part of the ask, I think he's unlikely to end up in Colorado, because I don't see Sakic getting involved in a bidding war for a luxury rental when his team is already this strong. If you want that kind of return, you need a desperate GM, and I don't see why Sakic would be desperate.

Chuck Fletcher should be fired for not asking at the very least. I am among the Flyers fans who doesn't expect Newhook or Byram to be part of the deal. But me beating the dead horse, I think one of Barron, Olausson, or Helleson should be.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Chuck Fletcher should be fired for not asking at the very least. I am among the Flyers fans who doesn't expect Newhook or Byram to be part of the deal. But me beating the dead horse, I think one of Barron, Olausson, or Helleson should be.

The only way any of those guys are involved is if you get a comparable offer from another contender on Giroux's list and Sakic is desperate enough to let his hand be forced like that, and I'm not seeing either of those as being likely.

Reactions: Richard88

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The only way any of those guys are involved is if you get a comparable offer from another contender on Giroux's list and Sakic is desperate enough to let his hand be forced like that, and I'm not seeing either of those as being likely.

Usually... when GMs have a situation like this where a player has all the respect in the world from both teams (as well as all the control); the 2 GMs find a way to get it done using "fairness" as the barometer rather than competing offers.

If Colorado had their 1st, that would be the easy way out. I suspect the deal would probably be something like one of Barron/Hellesson/Olausson, plus a 2023 pick -- first if the Avs win 2 rounds, 2nd if they don't.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Usually... when GMs have a situation like this where a player has all the respect in the world from both teams (as well as all the control); the 2 GMs find a way to get it done using "fairness" as the barometer rather than competing offers.

If Colorado had their 1st, that would be the easy way out. I suspect the deal would probably be something like one of Barron/Hellesson/Olausson, plus a 2023 pick -- first if the Avs win 2 rounds, 2nd if they don't.

If "fairness" matters more than competing offers, then all the claims of other teams being interested and driving the price up to force the inclusion of those guys shouldn't be relevant, and the 2023rd 1st + Compher + lesser prospect should get it done.

Reactions: McJedi

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
If "fairness" matters more than competing offers, then all the claims of other teams being interested and driving the price up to force the inclusion of those guys shouldn't be relevant, and the 2023rd 1st + Compher + lesser prospect should get it done.

Adding a cap dump and retention means it shouldn't. The prospects that I mentioned are in no way deal breakers or world moving prospects. In fact they are....just that.....prospects.....magic beans. If any stock is put into the hockey writers midseason rankings, Olausson is like 65th, Barron like 80th, and Helleson doesn't crack the top 100. Not a single one should be off the table for Giroux.

Reactions: Groo

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Adding a cap dump and retention means it shouldn't. The prospects that I mentioned are in no way deal breakers or world moving prospects. In fact they are....just that.....prospects.....magic beans. If any stock is put into the hockey writers midseason rankings, Olausson is like 65th, Barron like 80th, and Helleson doesn't crack the top 100. Not a single one should be off the table for Giroux.

You're welcome to find a team that can trade for him without retention or sending salary back if you can, but I'm not paying extra for any of the pre-requisites for any trade to a contender to realistically work.

And if those guys aren't deal breakers or world moving prospects, why are you so set on getting one of them? Why not accept someone like Kaut or Ranta or Bowers instead? I mean, they are just magic beans, why does it matter?

Reactions: John Mandalorian

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Helleson is very likely the only one within reach. Giroux has a full NMC and Is one of many rental options. Avs should have defense as high on their priority list as forward. Many of us think PK defender is their biggest need.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
2023 1st, Kaut and JTC.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
You're welcome to find a team that can trade for him without retention or sending salary back if you can, but I'm not paying extra for any of the pre-requisites for any trade to a contender to realistically work.

And if those guys aren't deal breakers or world moving prospects, why are you so set on getting one of them? Why not accept someone like Kaut or Ranta or Bowers instead? I mean, they are just magic beans, why does it matter?

Right...so the Flyers should just take your crap for free. It's how making a trade works in the NHL. If you don't like the price, go trade JTC and a pick to the Coyotes. If you'd like to trade him to the Flyers, make it worth our while.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Right...so the Flyers should just take your crap for free. It's how making a trade works in the NHL. If you don't like the price, go trade JTC and a pick to the Coyotes. If you'd like to trade him to the Flyers, make it worth our while.

I've heard that the Avs would merely need to waive one of their bottom tier roster players to make room at the deadline. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad