Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Colorado has a deep defensive corps, they can afford to lose a Justin Barron or a Drew Helleson and those guys should be right in Philly's wheelhouse for prospects, both are developing nicely

Reactions: Flyer lurker

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah and that is fine. They are very good prospects. But doesn't mean Flyers should trade G for low value. I actually think they should resign him if there is no good offer there.

They totally should resign him if a 34 year old is willing to end his career on a rebuild..

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Right...so the Flyers should just take your crap for free. It's how making a trade works in the NHL. If you don't like the price, go trade JTC and a pick to the Coyotes. If you'd like to trade him to the Flyers, make it worth our while.

The Flyers are free to do whatever they want, I don't really care. If you don't like the offer, go trade Giroux to another contender with the cap space to make it work who is willing to pay more. If you'd like to give him a great chance to win the Cup on a team that's earned 83% of their points since November 1, make it worth our while.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
The Flyers are free to do whatever they want, I don't really care. If you don't like the offer, go trade Giroux to another contender with the cap space to make it work who is willing to pay more. If you'd like to give him a great chance to win the Cup on a team that's earned 83% of their points since November 1, make it worth our while.

"worth your while"? Giroux is an all star, what more can you ask for??

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Why do I care what's worth your while or not lol. We're trading away Giroux. It's up to you to make it worth our while in order to acquire a piece to make it more likely to help you win the SC. We aren't just handing him away for busts (kaut) and cap dumps (jtc).

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Why do I care what's worth your while or not lol. We're trading away Giroux. It's up to you to make it worth our while in order to acquire a piece to make it more likely to help you win the SC. We aren't just handing him away for busts (kaut) and cap dumps (jtc).

I'd ask you the same question. Why is it our problem that you can't get an offer you like for your pending UFA rental? It's up to you to find a return you like in order to recoup some value before you lose him for nothing. We aren't just handing away our best prospects because you really want them.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I'd ask you the same question. Why is it our problem that you can't get an offer you like for your pending UFA rental? It's up to you to find a return you like in order to recoup some value before you lose him for nothing. We aren't just handing away our best prospects because you really want them.

Kaut, JTC, and a 1st is the equivalent of me offering you a 1st, Scott Laughton, and Jay O'Brien next trade deadline for Nathan MacKinnon.

It's nice to want something, but not give up anything in return.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Kaut, JTC, and a 1st is the equivalent of me offering you a 1st, Scott Laughton, and Jay O'Brien next trade deadline for Nathan MacKinnon.

Come on now Mack is in his prime and will be 27 after his contract is up while Giroux will be 34. There's a huge difference there.

IMO the best the Avs will offer will probably a 1st + Helleson/Barron + JTC which I still doubt considering Sakic's history in the deadline. He will probably get a Nemeth and Bellemare in the deadline :laugh:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you are flyers fans
a) you want legit prospects. Not 2's. Not 3rd liners making 3.5m who are ufa's in a year.
b) So if it between Avs and Flyers G at 50% retained. Barron has to be in the trade a lick of sense. Byram and Newhook are going nowhere. Flyers don't need the goalie prospect with Hart. Avs don't have a 1 or 2 or 4 this year. So if you flyers fan u are asking Barron and 2023 1. If avs fan maybe you offer Barron Jost and 2023 2. At least I am not laughing my backside off. Not excited about pick 60 or Jost but at least I get the logic.
c) But can we agree when fans offer Compher and a 2 or Boston fans offering busted 1's and a 2 there is no shot in hades flyers fans will say I accept and rightly so.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Come on now Mack is in his prime and will be 27 after his contract is up while Giroux will be 34. There's a huge difference there.

IMO the best the Avs will offer will probably a 1st + Helleson/Barron + JTC which I still doubt considering Sakic's history in the deadline. He will probably get a Nemeth and Bellemare in the deadline :laugh:

Yeah that's what I've been saying the whole time lol. I was just exaggerating lol.

Reactions: Spilot23

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

If its Barron and 2023 1 Flyers probably have to accept and start the rebuild.
Flyers need salary cap space bad and youth bad. ufa's in 2023 makes zero sense for flyers unless they trade jtc asap for a 2 3 to a contender.

Reactions: Spilot23

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

It's even nicer to already have the best team in the NHL, so we don't need to overpay for things that don't address any pressing needs. Like I keep saying, go find someone else to pay your price if you don't like it. I'm not going to lose sleep about it.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If you are flyers fans
a) you want legit prospects. Not 2's. Not 3rd liners making 3.5m who are ufa's in a year.
b) So if it between Avs and Flyers G at 50% retained. Barron has to be in the trade a lick of sense. Byram and Newhook are going nowhere. Flyers don't need the goalie prospect with Hart. Avs don't have a 1 or 2 or 4 this year. So if you flyers fan u are asking Barron and 2023 1. If avs fan maybe you offer Barron Jost and 2023 2. At least I am not laughing my backside off. Not excited about pick 60 or Jost but at least I get the logic.
c) But can we agree when fans offer Compher and a 2 or Boston fans offering busted 1's and a 2 there is no shot in hades flyers fans will say I accept and rightly so.

No interest in Helleson? The Avs fanbase is fairly divided in its preference of Barron or Helleson.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why does a rebuilding team want a 3.5m player who is ufa in 23? Compher makes zero sense for Flyers.

Flyers still need players to play and they need to reach the cap floor.

JTC is decently productive on a 3rd line role for Colorado this year. If he were to go to Philly and play at a ~40 point pace next season you wouldn't have much trouble selling him at the deadline for like a 3rd + Prospect IMO. Same thing with Jost.

Either guy would be a decent throw in from Colorados side to make the Cao work and give Philly an NHL caliber player back in return.

Reactions: Richard88

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If you are flyers fans

a) then go find another team offering legit prospects. If there is no other team offering more that 1st + Kaut + JTC, and your only other option is to keep him and risk watching him sign with a contender in UFA, then what you want doesn't really matter that much.

b) See a. If no one else is offering more, Barron's not included.

c) then keep him and we'll make him an offer in UFA.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No interest in Helleson? The Avs fanbase is fairly divided in its preference of Barron or Helleson.
I just have more knowledge of Barron being a former 1st. And any ranking I read in August 2021 writings always had Barron well ahead of Helleson. I am not qualified on Helleson analysis as far as being better prospect than Barron. I would say if you trading the face of your franchise and you choose the non first round pick, you better be right else you will be tarred and feathered.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Flyers still need players to play and they need to reach the cap floor.

JTC is decently productive on a 3rd line role for Colorado this year. If he were to go to Philly and play at a ~40 point pace next season you wouldn't have much trouble selling him at the deadline for like a 3rd + Prospect IMO. Same thing with Jost.

Either guy would be a decent throw in from Colorados side to make the Cao work and give Philly an NHL caliber player back in return.

We have such sweet deals in Hayes and JVR lingering around. Cap floor is not an issue. And you would think if you traded G then the Johnny Hockey fa to philly rumors start up again. This is not about dislike of JTC. This is about a long term plan. And 3rd line players who are ufa's in 2023 is the furthest thing from the right plan the Flyers can do.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
a) then go find another team offering legit prospects. If there is no other team offering more that 1st + Kaut + JTC, and your only other option is to keep him and risk watching him sign with a contender in UFA, then what you want doesn't really matter that much.

b) See a. If no one else is offering more, Barron's not included.

c) then keep him and we'll make him an offer in UFA.
d) and if Eichel plays in the playoffs you may lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad