Value of: Chiarot to Calgary for Pelletier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What has Kylington done exactly? Just to be sure we're talking about the same 2nd pairing d-man I'm thinking of.

Curious to know your opinion on someone like Romanov; just a run-of-the-mill below average second pairing D, right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Curious to know your opinion on someone like Romanov; just a run-of-the-mill below average second pairing D, right?

Hard to say with Romanov. I do think there is more offensive there but he's focused on learning how to play D in the NHL first. Hard to nit pick a flaw in his game at this stage but I don't know where he tops out at. 2nd pairing is not a bad guess but it's still early yet. He's only 22 and has 110 NHL games. Very difficult to project his base and ceiling levels

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hard to say with Romanov. I do think there is more offensive there but he's focused on learning how to play D in the NHL first. Hard to nit pick a flaw in his game at this stage but I don't know where he tops out at. 2nd pairing is not a bad guess but it's still early yet. He's only 22 and has 110 NHL games. Very difficult to project his base and ceiling levels
I see him as a strong shut-down guy who can be ok with the puck, without being a PP QB. Adam Foote would be my comparison, for those old enough to remember him.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Not going to get into the value of Chiarot, but the Flames needs are a 7th dman (maybe). Giving up our most pro ready prospect for a rental 7 is bad asset management. It makes zero sense for Calgary.

Jul 6, 2016
What about Chiarot + the 1st pick Habs received in the Toffoli deal (2022)
for
Pelletier and the Flames 1st and 2nd picks (2023)

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I know the rumors are Calgary is interested. I just can’t see them being that interested.

Chiarot is really more of a luxury trade. If they’re going to do another deal it should be for a 2/3 centre and not another defenceman.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
for
I loled way to hard at this, how tf does one think we would trade or even add to Pelletier to get ben freaking chiarot

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
for

That's much worse. WTF? The Flames are finishing near the top of the standings this year, who knows where they will be next year. And a 2nd? And Pelletier?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
for

The only fricken way I'd want to take Chiarot and send Pelletier to the Habs is if somehow we include Kylington (Chiarot would replace Kylington in the top 4) to unlock Suzuki to be included in the deal. But a move like that would cost a metric ton of add from the Flames to make it work, so there's no real deal to be had between the two clubs.

Flames get the top 6C they need (and a defensively responsible one that would be perfect in a Sutter system), and plug the hole left by Kylington via Chiarot. Downgrade top 4, but upgrade top 6. Flames would have Valimaki as reserve D (LD or RD).

Habs get a damn good dman in Kylington who currently is playing top 4, but still has top pairing upside; Pelletier who is doing really damn good (and in his interview offered a Stanley cup guarantee) and speaks French; probably Monahan for the cap balancing requirement; other pieces for their rebuild...

But the other pieces (how many/calibre) part of the trade is likely another major part of where both clubs and fans will not be able to agree upon. This on top of the fact there's too many names floating around that likely both clubs are not interested in moving already. Plus, you've proposed a deal that is horrifically tilted towards the Habs than OP.

Therefore, I do not believe there is any remaining realistic trade to be had between the two clubs. Flames are better off looking to shore up their roster elsewhere, Habs better to try and trade Chiarot to someone other than the Flames.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The only fricken way I'd want to take Chiarot and send Pelletier to the Habs is if somehow we include Kylington (Chiarot would replace Kylington in the top 4) to unlock Suzuki to be included in the deal. But a move like that would cost a metric ton of add from the Flames to make it work, so there's no real deal to be had between the two clubs.

Flames get the top 6C they need (and a defensively responsible one that would be perfect in a Sutter system), and plug the hole left by Kylington via Chiarot. Downgrade top 4, but upgrade top 6. Flames would have Valimaki as reserve D (LD or RD).

Habs get a damn good dman in Kylington who currently is playing top 4, but still has top pairing upside; Pelletier who is doing really damn good (and in his interview offered a Stanley cup guarantee) and speaks French; probably Monahan for the cap balancing requirement; other pieces for their rebuild...

But the other pieces (how many/calibre) part of the trade is likely another major part of where both clubs and fans will not be able to agree upon. This on top of the fact there's too many names floating around that likely both clubs are not interested in moving already. Plus, you've proposed a deal that is horrifically tilted towards the Habs than OP.

Therefore, I do not believe there is any remaining realistic trade to be had between the two clubs. Flames are better off looking to shore up their roster elsewhere, Habs better to try and trade Chiarot to someone other than the Flames.
Habs have a lot more prospects on D than upfront, so there's no interest in giving up a #1 center signed for 8 years to be able to get a young D.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Habs have a lot more prospects on D than upfront, so there's no interest in giving up a #1 center signed for 8 years to be able to get a young D.

Agreed.

Honestly speaking we Flames fans discussed it and cannot figure out where Chiarot would even slot on the Flames. That's why I shook Kylington free to slot him in on the second pairing and to keep Z and Gubranson together.

But if moving Kylington, then Flames should want to address the final roster weakness which is a second top 6 C. Dvorak doesn't really seem like the piece we should be targeting, so it's Suzuki.

Obviously you guys would have an issue with us targeting him, so like I said, it doesn't seem to make sense to consummate another deal between the two teams.

No offense, but Flames should not want Chiarot. He just doesn't have a reasonable spot on our d corps if acquired without completely messing with the make up. I don't get why we're linked in rumors about him.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Agreed.

Honestly speaking we Flames fans discussed it and cannot figure out where Chiarot would even slot on the Flames. That's why I shook Kylington free to slot him in on the second pairing and to keep Z and Gubranson together.

But if moving Kylington, then Flames should want to address the final roster weakness which is a second top 6 C. Dvorak doesn't really seem like the piece we should be targeting, so it's Suzuki.

Obviously you guys would have an issue with us targeting him, so like I said, it doesn't seem to make sense to consummate another deal between the two teams.

No offense, but Flames should not want Chiarot. He just doesn't have a reasonable spot on our d corps if acquired without completely messing with the make up. I don't get why we're linked in rumors about him.
I can tell you Suzuki is just about as close to untouchable as you can get in this league right now.
I get that fans don't see where Chiarot could slot in, and I find that phrasing far more honest than people just bashing him. Sometimes our GMs just don't see things the way fans do, though. (See Subban getting traded from Montreal, for example). We have to assume something on your D-corps isn't to Calgary management's liking.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I know the rumors are Calgary is interested. I just can’t see them being that interested.

Chiarot is really more of a luxury trade. If they’re going to do another deal it should be for a 2/3 centre and not another defenceman.
Maybe when they say Chiarot was talked about in the Toffoli trade what was really agreed was for Calgary to be a stalking horse for Montreal as part of the deal to help increase his value to other teams

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
What am I missing with this Chiarot fellow? His advanced stats were team worst in some categories during the playoff run last year.

Bottom in CF%, most giveaways, 2nd worst in FF%, -6 on a team that went to the Cup Finals.

Reactions: rumrokh

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
What am I missing with this Chiarot fellow? His advanced stats were team worst in some categories during the playoff run last year.

Bottom in CF%, most giveaways, 2nd worst in FF%, -6 on a team that went to the Cup Finals.
Have you looked at cross-check in d-zone slot per minute? He's top 3 in playoffs and opponent forwards have broken bones for > 50% of series!

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I like Chiarot but no way hes worth Pelletier
He is worth a 1st and Pelletier is a late 1st. I like Pelletier alot, I was pretty high on him in his draft year, but I would gadly take a 1st in this draft. A kid like Kulich should be available late first and Im pretty high on him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad