Value of: Chiarot to Calgary for Pelletier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Chariot brings nothing that the Flames do not already have.

If you consider his asking price and the factor mentioned above this deal makes no sense.

If the Flames are considering an upgrade they need to look at acquiring a solid third line centre.

Pelletier will be playing in the NHL next year and Wolf is the best goalie in the A right now. Shake your head people and imagine if we were giving you a defender who might play on your bottom pairing for both of your top prospects. This makes no sense whatsoever.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Chiarots value is prob around kris russell from when we traded him, a 2nd and a recent 2nd round prospect. He doesnt sniff any of our top 4 prospects.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
What if Mtl plans to clear cap space through other deals, guys like Hoffman. Would Chiarot for Pelletier and Lucic make sense for either team. Lucic has 1 yr left after this one
Flames are pretty small upfront. Zadorov and Gudbranson on the back end, but unless Ritchie is drawing in you don't really have any size and grit up front without Lucic. And if Ritchie is drawing in, the deal sucks. Tkachuk is Tkachuk, Coleman can hold his own, but Lucic provides something that I think the Flames want going into the playoffs.

I think I'd rather they bite the bullet and stick with Lucic this post-season. Hope his cap hit doesn't get in the way next year (keep in mind that a team acquiring him after July 1st would be paying him league minimum 875k next year)

Of course if it's the difference between keeping Gaudreau or not do everything to move him.

Also he has a modified NTC, doubt he waives it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How so? How has Caufield been better than Pelletier? Both played in the AHL this year and both were roughly a point per game as rookies, just because Pelletier hasn't been called up to his contending NHL affiliate team and Caufield has to his tanking NHL affiliate doesn't make him better.

Chairot's rep is a big guy that is a 3rd pair guy that can hit really hard and move up the depth chart if he needs to, how is that different from Zadorov?

Caufield and Pelletier would be close in value as "prospects". But Caufield has proven to drive offense in the NHL and if not for Ducharme being obsessed "with mistakes within assignments/system" this season, his numbers would be much higher today. With MSL, Caufield has 17 pts with 8 goals in 14 games. Do you think this is a fluke or more like what we seen from Caufield last playoffs? Pelletier has a good development resume too but he not even played one NHL game yet. We have a better idea of who Caufield is vs who Pelletier will be (at the NHL level).

Chiarot has a proven track record of playing heavy D zone min's. 20-23 min a game vs Zadorov who is 16-18 min a game. It's close but Chiarot gets the edge IMO. In the last few games, the Habs have played Chiarot on the RD side and with PP time to showcase his game beyond his D zone coverage and he's been plugging away just fine in any role we play him in. Reality. The versatility beyond his physicality is overlooked by many fans.

But like I said in the last post... I don't see the Flames trading Pelletier for a rental. I support you on that one. It's just not what most Habs fans think we will get but the media keeps throwing this stuff out there.

Last edited:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
A swing and a miss. Again.
Are We talking about the ‘chiarot will get a first round pick +’ or the ‘he’s worth Pelletier’ or ‘he’s better than zadorov’? Add in that Chiarot hasn’t been great this year without Carey Price to bail him out and we’re really talking about a nice return! Swing and a miss indeed.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hahaha. Chiarot doesn’t carry even close to this value. Expect something similar to what Manson got. A low 2nd and B+ prospect.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Flames are pretty small upfront. Zadorov and Gudbranson on the back end, but unless Ritchie is drawing in you don't really have any size and grit up front without Lucic. And if Ritchie is drawing in, the deal sucks. Tkachuk is Tkachuk, Coleman can hold his own, but Lucic provides something that I think the Flames want going into the playoffs.

I think I'd rather they bite the bullet and stick with Lucic this post-season. Hope his cap hit doesn't get in the way next year (keep in mind that a team acquiring him after July 1st would be paying him league minimum 875k next year)

Of course if it's the difference between keeping Gaudreau or not do everything to move him.
That makes sense, I think Flames will need to move him next year but after bonus is paid makes sense. would be a perfect contract for Arizona on July 2nd. and I agree Lucic size will be useful come playoffs. I need a cdn team to cheer for in the playoffs and it looks like it will be the Flames.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Also he has a modified NTC, doubt he waives it.

I've been following the Flames all year and even more after the Toffoli trade. I hope the Flames do go on a run! They have a good mix of offense, skill, grit, team D, and goaltending which stands well for the playoffs. Very little holes to address.

Loosing Gaudreau would suck. Some Habs fans think we can try to sign him and that's comical to me. I do see your Lucic point as well but they can move him this summer if they are forced too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hahaha. Chiarot doesn’t carry even close to this value. Expect something similar to what Manson got. A low 2nd and B+ prospect.

The 1st and prospect was always a reach but that was a spin from the media. Chiarot's value to me was two 2nd rounders and over the last few weeks, I added the B/B+ prospect (as a high starting price). This is one piece away from what Manson got.

I did feel that both Chiarot and Manson were the two targets by many teams. Lower cap hit and physical guys you can lean on heavy for D zone starts and usage. I think Chiarot gets a little more to be honest cause he's the better skater, scores a bit more goals, and has played a bit more min's. However, it should be close

Ledge And Dairy

Caufield and Pelletier would be close in value as "prospects". But Caufield has proven to drive offense in the NHL and if not for Ducharme being obsessed "with mistakes within assignments/system" this season, his numbers would be much higher today. With MSL, Caufield has 17 pts with 8 goals in 14 games. Do you think this is a fluke or more like what we seen from Caufield last playoffs? Pelletier has a good development resume too but he not even played one NHL game yet. We have a better idea of who Caufield is vs who Pelletier will be (at the NHL level).

Chiarot has a proven track record of playing heavy D zone min's. 20-23 min a game vs Zadorov who is 16-18 min a game. It's close but Chiarot gets the edge IMO. In the last few games, the Habs have played Chiarot on the RD side and with PP time to showcase his game beyond his D zone coverage and he's been plugging away just fine in any role we play him in. Reality. The versatility beyond his physicality is overlooked by many fans.

But like I said in the last post... I don't see the Flames trading Pelletier for a rental. I support you on that one. It's just not what most Habs fans think we will get but the media keeps throwing this stuff out there.
Montreal also road a coaching change high, like every team does. He is likely not going to pace over a PPG for the rest of the season. You are right that we have a better idea on Caufield due to the experience but that is not a knock on what Pelletier has shown to be capable of at every level so far.

Zadorov averages over 19 minutes a night when he plays a top 4 role, like he did last year in Chicago and a few years in Colorado. In rep sure, Chiarot has the edge but being a vet also helps with that. In actual impact, skill and statistics Zadorov definitely has the edge.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Chariot is better than Zadorov and Caufield is better than Pelletier. That being said it still doesn't make the Pelletier/Chariot value anywhere near close. Two entirely different classes of assets.

Montreal can say they want to trade for Pelletier all they want. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. That's like me saying I'd like to date Zoe Kravitz.... Let's just ignore the fact I'm too old, poor, and funny looking.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We've seen what Manson brought back at 50% - a 2nd and a B+ prospect. How much more can the Habs expect for Chairot?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal also road a coaching change high, like every team does. He is likely not going to pace over a PPG for the rest of the season. You are right that we have a better idea on Caufield due to the experience but that is not a knock on what Pelletier has shown to be capable of at every level so far.

Zadorov averages over 19 minutes a night when he plays a top 4 role, like he did last year in Chicago and a few years in Colorado. In rep sure, Chiarot has the edge but being a vet also helps with that. In actual impact, skill and statistics Zadorov definitely has the edge.

I'm not knocking Pelletier. I'm saying he is on a good development track but you just can't compare NHL to AHL. Both would be Grade A prospect prior to the NHL but one is in the AHL and one is in the NHL doing very well recently where we don't have a coach obsessed with mistakes within the system where they are demoted.

Chiarot is the better skater and has a bit more proven ice time/usage over Zadorov. We are talking 18-20 min vs 20-23 min. There is a gap there. It's close but Chiarot is better value. Not by a mile but the edge goes to Chiarot IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We've seen what Manson brought back at 50% - a 2nd and a B+ prospect. How much more can the Habs expect for Chairot?

Something close to that. Chiarot gets the edge for these reasons IMO
* Latest Playoff trends
* D zone usage/min eater. Not many of his type can play 20-25 min a game.
* Goal scoring power is a bit better
* Chiarot's skating for his size is unreal and many are overlooking this
* As funny as this sounds, the Habs have played Chiarot on the PP showcasing his puck management and have also played him RD for a few weeks now. And he has continued to hold his own.

I had two 2nd rounders as the price tag for many months (well before the media talking the 1st narrative). I recently added the B/B+ prospect so yeah, I think two 2nd rounders and a B/B+ prospect probably gets it done. Or it might be even closer to the Manson return. Something around that

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Weird, you'd think Habs would have had a better chance packaging at Pelletier if they sent Toffoli + Chiarot together. Not saying it would have happened, but I imagine the Flames would be looking at a subtantial add to Chiarot for Pelletier.

Pelletier va Chiarot + Lehkonen + prospect or something?

If Pelletier is as good as advertised, and developing well, I'd love that as a Habs fan. Quality > quantity

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Valuewise, Pelletier =/= a first round pick. A PPG 21 yo in the AHL has a much better shot a becoming a top 6 forward one day than most of the players who are going to be drafted in the 20s this year

Reactions: Colezuki

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Valuewise, Pelletier =/= a first round pick. A PPG 21 yo in the AHL has a much better shot a becoming a top 6 forward one day than most of the players who are going to be drafted in the 20s this year
A PPG player in the AHL doesn't mean he can become a top 6 forward in the NHL. If my memory is correct, Habs' Corey Locke used to be PPG in the AHL and he never made it to the NHL.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Chiarots value is prob around kris russell from when we traded him, a 2nd and a recent 2nd round prospect. He doesnt sniff any of our top 4 prospects.
Chiarot is a LOT better than Russell lol, AINEC. Russell brings zero physicality to the table, CHiarot destroys people with his shoulder and sitck

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I dont really care who gets Chariot in the end. I only care about what the max return is for the habs. If you dont want to win the max offer of Chariot then stop posting and go look somewhere else for a good dman. I dont care. I dont care if you think Chariot is a BAD DMAN not worth ANYTHING, If you think he cant skate, cant shoot, cant play dman, or cant cook, cant add at math or he is a totally useless neanderthal, THATS you opinion and trying to downplay his worth in order to try to get the habs to trade him CHEAP. How about NO and go away.

Ledge And Dairy

A PPG player in the AHL doesn't mean he can become a top 6 forward in the NHL. If my memory is correct, Habs' Corey Locke used to be PPG in the AHL and he never made it to the NHL.
Not as a rookie at age 20, not comparable. A better example is Tomasino who was roughly a ppg last year, or Norris who was a bit over a PPG a 2 years ago, or Terry who was a PPG a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad