Value of: Chiarot to Calgary for Pelletier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond

May 10, 2012
1) Why late first-rounders ? Draft rank means nothing once you're drafted.
2) Go have fun on hockeydb on your own. We all know it happens. Pastrnak, Zegras, Newhook, Suzuki, Caufield are 5 off the top of my head who made the NHL faster.
Cause late first rounders where Pelletier was taken tend to take longer to make the NHL and he is progressing better than most. Easy concept.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah I'll take Chiarot on Calgary, you want a 4th for him, retain 50% and I'll up it to a 3rd. I would trade something like that for him, I'm guessing my GM is probably in a similar boat as he would be a decent guy to fill in for an injury.
If you want Kulak back, he can fill that role for you. But Chiarot is in 1st rounder/2 2nds/2nd and prospect type territory.

Ledge And Dairy

If you want Kulak back, he can fill that role for you. But Chiarot is in 1st rounder/2 2nds/2nd and prospect type territory.
That's fine, I would be ok with Kulak. Not ideal but serviceable. Again all LeBrun's article says is Calgary is still kicking tires, that is not a surprise at all considering he is still on the market. They aren't going to overpay for him when he doesn't crack their current top 6 though

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Name 5 late first rounders to do so lol

Cause late first rounders where Pelletier was taken tend to take longer to make the NHL and he is progressing better than most. Easy concept.
Yet the late firsts who were big successes that I found quickly were both in the NHL sooner - Pacioretty and Pastrnak.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yet the late firsts who were big successes that I found quickly were both in the NHL sooner - Pacioretty and Pastrnak.
Name three more lol. The fact you had to reach to Pacioretty is telling. There is a reason the Flames didn't trade Pelletier for Toffoli. They value him more than a late first

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
This is a blog, it carries zero substance and is entirely a Habs biased opinion. Not to mention the blog itself states that Pelletier is around the same value/potential as Caufield

By that logic Zadorov (who is better than Chiarot) should be able to fetch Caufield

And his article doesn't relate either of the players to a potential trade

All it says is that Habs want one of the best prospects in the NHL (no shit). It also says that Calgary has kicked tires on Chiarot before and may still be. Not that Chiarot has anywhere remotely close to Pelletier's value (because he doesn't)

Listen being condescending and criticizing a blog for being biased then saying Zadorov is better than Chiarot is really ironic

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Not so much undermine as frame properly.... guys who develop properly can have great careers, but they usually aren't the very high-end guys. That high-end potential (of, say, a Pastrnak, or a Pacioretty) likely isn't there when a team trades for a player in his D+3 season.
Yeah you're right, Pelletier so clearly has so little potential of being a difference maker in the NHL. So why do the Habs so desperately want him again?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ledge And Dairy

Pasta played half the year in the AHL, he is also one of the best players in the league, don't think anyone is expecting Pelletier to be Pasta level player 5 years from now. When brought up he played primarily with Lucic and Spooner/Krejci on the 3rd line. That team was also quite young with a large portion of their team with less than 200 NHL games played
Patches bounced between the AHL and NHL for 3 seasons

Ledge And Dairy

Mhm - I’m enjoying some of those stats
Im glad you are, here's some more
b2HMnHj.png

FFpTg_vXMAYl06q

E7ZANohXIAoqkMx

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Go have fun on hockeydb on your own. We all know it happens. Pastrnak, Zegras, Newhook, Suzuki, Caufield are 5 off the top of my head who made the NHL faster.
Pastrnak is the only late first in that list....

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Pastrnak is the only late first in that list....
And you didn't bother to see my opinion on the question just a tad higher up. Please try to keep up.

"Draft rank means nothing once you're drafted."

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I suspect Calgary won't be getting Chiarot, if the lack of enthusiasm here reflects anything about the confidence fans have in their team.
I'm not a Flames fan. But if Treliving trades Pelletier for Chiarot, plus whatever other fillers, he might as well fire himself. Thats a Forsberg for Erat trade. And this is coming from a Panthers fan who wants Chiarot. That would be like a proposal of Chiarot for Knight. I'd laugh my head off, no offense. You're not getting value like that for a rental like Chiarot.

Reactions: blankall

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could you link the clip please?
Hockey 360 : Le CH voudrait Jakob Pelletier en retour de Ben Chiarot (LNH)

I believe this is the segment that the other poster was referring to. It’s in French. The Pelletier discussion begins around the 4 minute mark.

Essentially says that the Flames wanted Chiarot included in the Toffoli deal but LeBrun believes it didn’t happen on account of the Habs asking for Pelletier.

There are several teams calling about Chiarot and among them are the Flames and the Habs are continuing to ask for Pelletier in a trade for Chiarot but the Flames are not prepared to trade him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
And you didn't bother to see my opinion on the question just a tad higher up. Please try to keep up.

"Draft rank means nothing once you're drafted."
But we're talking about Pelletier's value compared to a late first. You're bringing up top ten picks like Trevor Zegras. No duh he isn't worth Zegras.

But neither is a late first. Most late firsts don't end up as Pastrnak. They end up like Nikita Scherbak.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not really, they have 4 #2's and 3 of them are all still 25 and under, any of which could blossom into a #1 as they enter their prime. Neither of Slavin or Pesce were considered elite when they were 24/25
Slavin is only 27 today and was considered a 1d for at least the past 5 seasons. He as a top pairing D on the team that went to the ECF at 24. Maybe he wasn’t getting national recognition, but Canes fans knew he was a stud before turning 24.

That said, I agree with your point about Calgarys defenders.

Ledge And Dairy

Slavin is only 27 today and was considered a 1d for at least the past 5 seasons. He as a top pairing D on the team that went to the ECF at 24. Maybe he wasn’t getting national recognition, but Canes fans knew he was a stud before turning 24.

That said, I agree with your point about Calgarys defenders.
He is 27 turning 28 this year, Both Hanifin and Andersson turned 25 in the last couple months so it's their age 24/25 year

I should have clarified about the national recognition. Last 2 years he was considered the #2 to Dougie though even if he could count as a #1 on some teams. Before that there was Faulk as the #1

Calgary fans have known Hanifin and Andersson would be good since age ~22/23 but they are only now starting to get recognition around the league. Kylington's success was a delightful surprise

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

There was speculation at the time of the Toffoli trade that Chiarot had been considered as part of the deal, but that it had been scaled back.

Now there's speculation Calgary might still be interested, and the asking price is Jakob Pelletier, which fits pretty well with the idea the cost is a 1st rounder, since Pelletier is a 1st round pick who's been developing well.

So, could this deal be 1 for 1 ? If Habs retain 50%, is there any need for any cap hit to be going the other way ?

The article speculates Dustin Wolf might be a throw-in, but that would essentially mean the Habs are giving up on Cayden Primeau, since it's hard to have 2 goalies developping in the AHL at the same time, so I'm not seeing that happening.

(I have to admit I suspect it might become the two 2nd rounders Calgary owns this year rather than Pelletier, for Chiarot)
I hope we don't acquire Pelletier. Nice player but small winger. How much trade value does he have when can waiver claim a Pitlick or sign a Toffoli as UFA? Pelletier is better player but they good also without giving anything up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad