CFL 2024

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Lewis is the best of the bunch back there--they don't throw his way as often but yes, you can't win many games in the CFL when you are constantly allowing big plays in critical situations. Can it be that tough to find DB's??? Other teams seem to do it.

Hard to even separate the individual abilities of the players from the scheming at this point. All year we've watched opponents reel in 20 yard passes with three or four defenders standing around 4 yards away from them. It looked like prevent defense on second and long all day yesterday.

Purifoy, the one veteran back there, was awful yesterday. Horrible read when Pimpleton took an 8 yard crosser for 60 yards and then made a futile attempt to strip the ball on Ottawa's final TD rather than tackling the guy around the 10 and giving the D one last chance to prevent a major.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wasn't expecting it, but praise the lord. I have no idea what happened to Jones' coaching abilities between 2018 and 2022, but they absolutely deserted him. He was never a strong offensive mind, but could at least manage a clock and make good tactical calls and that side of the ball and then have the defense win the game. Never saw that once in his second tenure. Never say never in the CFL, but I'll be shocked if he is ever more than a co-ordinator in pro football again.

I hope to hell we see Ford on Friday. McBum hasn't been THE problem in my eyes, but his accuracy was not good yesterday. Couple missed open targets, and other plays that were completed but forced adjustments from receivers that prevented any YAC yards. Despite 34 points it was an average-at-best performance IMO, and some home town calls from the zebras helped out too. Ford would probably be comparable as a passer and is infinitely more mobile, it really shouldn't be a hard decision.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Wasn't expecting it, but praise the lord. I have no idea what happened to Jones' coaching abilities between 2018 and 2022, but they absolutely deserted him. He was never a strong offensive mind, but could at least manage a clock and make good tactical calls and that side of the ball and then have the defense win the game. Never saw that once in his second tenure. Never say never in the CFL, but I'll be shocked if he is ever more than a co-ordinator in pro football again.

My view is that he was a good and maybe even really good coach, but a f***ing horrendous, and I mean horrendous General Manager. When the two got blended he quickly went off the deep end.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hard to even separate the individual abilities of the players from the scheming at this point. All year we've watched opponents reel in 20 yard passes with three or four defenders standing around 4 yards away from them. It looked like prevent defense on second and long all day yesterday.

Purifoy, the one veteran back there, was awful yesterday. Horrible read when Pimpleton took an 8 yard crosser for 60 yards and then made a futile attempt to strip the ball on Ottawa's final TD rather than tackling the guy around the 10 and giving the D one last chance to prevent a major.
Yes, Purifoy was just awful yesterday.

Ottawa went after the rookie Kordell Jackson (at the half back position) last night before the national anthem was over. He actually did alright for most of the night trying to cover Rhymes but with no pressure up front it was inevitable that he couldn't keep it up for the entire game.

Maybe someone can help me out on this but I never saw more than a 4 man rush the entire game from the EE defense yesterday? No blitzes either?

We kept waiting for the Jones "magic" to come up with the great front 7 on defense but it never came close to happening. It reminded me of that old Hollies classic "riding along on a carousel, hope I catch up to you."

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I hope to hell we see Ford on Friday. McBum hasn't been THE problem in my eyes, but his accuracy was not good yesterday. Couple missed open targets, and other plays that were completed but forced adjustments from receivers that prevented any YAC yards. Despite 34 points it was an average-at-best performance IMO, and some home town calls from the zebras helped out too. Ford would probably be comparable as a passer and is infinitely more mobile, it really shouldn't be a hard decision.
MBT's accuracy is sometimes a problem but he is another Kerwin Bell when it comes to mobility (Bell had a better arm). He just can't escape the rush or hit any holes.

That was another mystery call last night when MBT pulled a QB sneak in the 4th quarter? Say what?

His late minute clock and special team decisions that kept costing this team wins proved he wasn't a good football coach.
For whatever reason he digressed.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Truth told this is a good thing for the Elks and the CFL.

Gregor started his show today saying zero chance Jones gets fired 😂😂🤡🤡
Gregor and hot takes go together like Seravelli and dunking on bald radio hosts. Oh wait , that’s the same thing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t know what the official attendance was last night but those crowds look smaller every game. Firing Jones was probably the only thing left to try to change that.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
well I hope the door didn't hit him on the ass on the way out.
Really? It wouldn't bother me if it did.

His treatment of Ford is abysmal. I blame him and his crappy defence for the last three losses. How does he not make sure the third and goal is not the last play of the game? Why be a chickenshit and not try to win it with a two point convert yesterday?

McBum cost them the first game against Regina.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m guessing the league gave them the go ahead that Jones won’t count against the management cap.

It’s possible the sale is contingent on Jones getting fired too, so maybe we’ll see some movement there.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
So far, the firing is the only good news for a team that’s 0-5.
Jackson and Simon filling in to the end of season means cap shouldn’t be a problem - also, some latitude granted to the team by the CFL.
In the end, Jones achieved his goal…take out the franchise that said “no” to his desire to be HC and GM after the 2015 season. Took a while to catch on but now it’s done.
Hope this team is privatized soon. This board is beyond useless.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad