Line Combos: Lineup for 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Stylistically Dach Caufield and Roy would be much better for each other. You can plug anyone on Suz and Slafs wing and there's no one else I'd rather have than a guy as skilled as Laine. He also opens up space because he is powerful.

Caufield is a lot more active in his roaming than Laine is, that opens up space for Roy and Dach opens up space for both. I don't think it's close for the matchups.

It's also unsure if Laine-Suzu-Slaf are the 3 best offensive players.
Talented players find ways to make it work so I don't think there's any bad combos and so yeah you can plug pretty much anybody next to Suzuki and it will be good.

My preference is a Laine-Dach-Newhook because the speed of Dach and Newhook will not only push Laine to use his own speed more, but a lot of Laine's goals come from being the trailing man and getting a one timer from far out. Caufield doesn't have that same shot from distance and Suzuki doesn't have the speed of Dach or Newhook to really push the pace. So I'm sure they would find a way to work but in terms of preference I want to see Laine with the speedier players.

As for your arguments about space, I don't think I understand your point. If Caufield opens space for Roy and Dach because of his roaming then he also opens space for Suzuki and Slafkovsky because of his roaming. So it seems to be irrelevant (Or as I said I'm misunderstanding your point), on top of which you also say that Laine is opening up space so they are are both doing the same thing.

I do like Slaf and Laine together though, I could see that being something many teams will have difficulty handling and maybe not long term but I'd love to see Laine-Dach-Slafkovsky line since that combo of size and speed would be a nightmare to handle.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Laine has to be on the top or second line................you have Roy there?
He will not be in the top 6 unless there is an injury.
Top 9 yes for sure with Roy.
Slaf on the 3rd line???
I am taking about making a balance top 9

Put the #1 on with skill #2 and skill, #3

(the best in the 3 skills)
#1 : Suzuki (#1 playmaker), Laine (#1 sniper), Slaf (#1 PW)
#2 : Dach (#2 playmaker, CC (#2 sniper), Newhook (#2 PW
#3 : Dvorak (#3 playmaker, Roy (#3 sniper), Anderson (#3 PW)

TOP #9
1-2-3
1-2-3
1-2-3

(exemple : Suzuki #1, CC #2, Anderson #3

But the more i think about it, the more it dosen't make sense. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Put the #1 on with skill #2 and skill, #3 on skill

TOP #9
1-2-3
1-2-3
1-2-3

Overall, a good idea..............I saw Roy ahead of Slaf and Laine and went from there.
Too soon to have him in the top 6 for me..............a very good young player, but he has some flaws to his overall game.

Fantastic that we finally have some choices here. MSL will have to get the guys who gel....

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Put the #1 on with skill #2 and skill, #3 on skill

TOP #9
1-2-3
1-2-3
1-2-3

I'm not sure this captures the facets of the players involved. For instance:

-Laine isn't just a sniper (or a player whose defensive effort is... inconsistent). He's also a guy who carries the puck in transition and is most comfortable with the puck on his stick. He's a great sniper like Caufield, but while Cole like's to find empty space, Laine likes to create his space. I'd be concerned with Suzuki and Laine on the same line. Beyond Suzuki's defensive responsibilities, both need to have the puck to play their ideal game.
-Roy isn't a sniper. Pre-draft that was his reputation, but his game has fortunately evolved away from that to a jack of all trades guy who can wear a lot of different hats.
-Dvorak has never been a playmaker.
-Newhook definitely isn't a power forward.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield is a line that's complementary and proven effective, may as well stick with it. Dach and Laine make sense because Dach is good at getting rushes started, doesn't need the puck as much as a guy like Suzuki and has good vision. Round them out with either Newhook for a speed element, Roy as jack of all trades piece or even a guy like Armia or Gallagher to go to the net (my vote is on Newhook or Roy). I'm actually fine with Newhook at 3C, but if not then Armia-Evans-Gallagher was a relatively effective line and Roy could (should) be an upgrade on either winger.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
-Roy isn't a sniper. Pre-draft that was his reputation, but his game has fortunately evolved away from that to a jack of all trades guy who can wear a lot of different hats.
-Dvorak has never been a playmaker.
-Newhook definitely isn't a power forward
I had to take the best 9 and give them a position.
I agree with Newhook and Dvorak, But Roy is a sniper imo.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With the way he played to end last year, I think the 3rd line C spot is Evans right now. Hopefully with a lot of competition in our bottom six, it pushes guys like Armia, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher to up their game as we have lacked secondary scoring in our bottom six.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Evans - Armia
Gallagher - Dvorak - Anderson

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
With the way he played to end last year, I think the 3rd line C spot is Evans right now. Hopefully with a lot of competition in our bottom six, it pushes guys like Armia, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher to up their game as we have lacked secondary scoring in our bottom six.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Laine
Roy - Evans - Armia
Gallagher - Dvorak - Anderson

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Totally agree with your lineup. Just watching that 16.45M 4th line would be amazing.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Caufield dethroned himself with his season last year. We can't have a second line quality forward on the top line, it's been 30 years of that. If Laine is Laine, it's Laine.

And If Laine is dogshit, it's Caufield.

Just saying.

druski-meme-druski-hands-up-meme.jpg

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I would go:
CC-Suz-Slaf
Laine-Dach-Newhook
Roy-Dvo-Armia
Gally-Evans-Andy

I would like to see Roy and Armia together, they had good chemistry in Laval. That 4th line would be the most expensive one in the league!!

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I would go:
CC-Suz-Slaf
Laine-Dach-Newhook
Roy-Dvo-Armia
Gally-Evans-Andy

I would like to see Roy and Armia together, they had good chemistry in Laval. That 4th line would be the most expensive one in the league!!
I like those first two lines a lot, there's true potential there. The bottom 6 is a real mishmash of spare parts, but I don't know how to make it look any different. It's hard to fit guys like Anderson and Gally anywhere where it really makes sense.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Cole Suz Slaf/Laine
Roy/Newhook Dach Laine/Slaf
Anderson Newhook/Dvorak Armia/Roy
ABB Evans Gallagher

RHP Pezzetta

Beck

Dvorak becomes expendable and I hope they trade him away before training camp. Beck can take the spot.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Top line will be:
Caufield - Suzuki- Slaf

Familiarity with each other. No pressure for these guys in this role.

Laine and Dach can return to form together. A passer and a shooter.

Revisit when Demidov arrives. That’s when it gets interesting. Or exciting … or crazy.
Like… Laine and Caufield on the same line and opponent can’t even focus on them because Slaf/Demi/Suzuki on line 1??!

Reactions: Redux91 and Pomee

durojean

May 29, 2007
The way I see it. Best configuration to start with is probably

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Proven 1st line : nothing else to say

Laine Dach Armia
Big line with some familiarities to start the season for Laine. It also could help boost Armia’s value

Roy Newhook Gallagher
A line that worked good last year and it’s close to the Tatar Danault Gallagher of the past.

Anderson Dvorak Evans
Well… those are the players left.

Reactions: Pomee

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Caufield - Suzuki - Newhook
Laine - Dach - Slaf
Roy - Beck - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gallagher
Dvorak

Want to see how that 2nd line handles shutdown matchups and would also start playing Slaf + Dach on the PK.
Newhook gets bumped by Demidov in 2025.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Personally I like newhook on the third line down the stretch but for next year I think he could work with Dach and Laine

I think we'll see MSL experiment in preseason, to see who has chemistry.

Newhook on the 3rd line gives us a dangerous 3rd line. But we also want to make sure the 2nd line is dangerous. So it will be interesting to see who fits there. I think Dvorak should get a look. He has underrated offensive skills. Then Roy has to be a candidate. Barre-Bullet might have his say.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
All the talk is about our forwards, and of course the D.......................what about the two goalies?

Can Primeau play well enough to take the net from Monty? Will Monty play better and stay at #1?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad