Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Nick Robertson re-signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You don't see any downside in a talented young RFA goalscoring winger wanting to not be on a team cap strapped like the Leafs are anymore?

Gotta admire the optimism.
....he is signed? If he is as good as he thinks he is then he will show up and perform for the Leafs lol that is a good thing for the organization. If he doesn't, then none of it really matters. I am failing to see this downside.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What a terrible deal for Robertson. Making less than an ELC. No wonder he wants to be traded. Kid should have signed an offer-sheet like Holloway if one was extended. He's got a nice middle six skill package, but the size may be something that makes him a career tweener.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Cant wait for a steady diet of Nick Robinson being shoved out of the way for odd-man rush the other way. The dude sucks.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What a terrible deal for Robertson. Making less than an ELC. No wonder he wants to be traded. Kid should have signed an offer-sheet like Holloway if one was extended. He's got a nice middle six skill package, but the size may be something that makes him a career tweener.
Nobody offer-sheeted him because he turns 23 tomorrow and has 17 career goals while doing nothing besides offense. If he scores 20 goals next season then someone may offersheet him. Holloway got a light offersheet because he played in a whole Playoffs that went to a G7 SCF and did an admirable enough job to justify 3rd round pick compensation.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nobody offer-sheeted him because he turns 23 tomorrow and has 17 career goals while doing nothing besides offense. If he scores 20 goals next season then someone may offersheet him. Holloway got a light offersheet because he played in a whole Playoffs that went to a G7 SCF and did an admirable enough job to justify 3rd round pick compensation.
3rd round picks have such modest value in the NHL. Teams barely care about them at all.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean you just had to watch Holloway in the playoffs to see why teams would value adding that over a player like Robertson. Robertson has a lot of skill but he couldn't play that role if his life depended on it

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Agree with you in general, but the league has had a bunch of guys who were skilled enough to score in limited roles (Brendan Pirri for example) whose overall game didn't justify a bigger opportunity. IMO, you show you are ready for more responsibility in your overall play, not in the press during the offseason. It'll be interesting to see how NR does with Berube.
I think the majority of Leaf fans would say while he didn't really do anything stellar they needed depth scoring and he should have been given a bigger opportunity. Keefe just seemed to have zero rope for him

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Limited ice time and role, you said it. If he wants to make more, he needs to go out there and earn it. If you play well, the coach will trust you. Coaches don’t bench players for no reason. They want to win. And they play whoever gives them the best chance of that.
Based on the year he had, he is worth more than $875k was the point.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Do we know for sure that playing time was the reason for the trade request? I don't see the problem with a 22 yr old shrimp getting 10-11 minutes at ES and about a minute of PP time. These little guys usually need some time to gain enough strength to be competitive along the boards and such.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

He outproduced Knies and McMann last year while playing with terrible linemates and 11 minutes a night...

He is their best offensive LW, it'd be nice to get a better look at what he can do.

The above two players mentioned are better than him obviously, but Robertson gives the Leafs some secondary scoring which they desperately need, and he is 23 as of today, they should see what they have.

Do we know for sure that playing time was the reason for the trade request? I don't see the problem with a 22 yr old shrimp getting 10-11 minutes at ES and about a minute of PP time. These little guys usually need some time to gain enough strength to be competitive along the boards and such.

I've seen multiple things, but it must suck to always be sent down because you are waiver exempt and watch the worst player in the NHL (Reaves) play every night.

I think (don't quote me on this) that I saw at one point he was unhappy with the development staff in Toronto.

Reactions: byrath

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
takes two to tango

Shocking given all the leverage he had …. Oh wait ... Apparently could still be traded but we’ll see
he holds zero value and is injury prone.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Best hope is he puts up good numbers on a top 6 line to up his value and is packaged at the deadline for more of what the team needs come playoff time.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
This is literally his biggest problem other than injuries . Guy falls down twice per shift it seems . I’m not sure if it’s balance or strength but it’s very noticeable imo . His shot is by far his best tool but gotta be upright and on the ice to implement it .
His ankles are B level beer league. He just has zero strength.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I don't understand this move. A player wants to be traded - clearly he does not want to be there. Why bother signing him? In any other industry if an employee expresses disinterest in their job, I don't see the company putting further investment in him/her. Wouldn't the Leafs be better to just bury him in the minors? If no other team wants him, doesn't that say something as well?

The Leafs seem to cave in to these players' demands. I remember Nylander asking for 8 million years ago...and I thought it was nuts he did this before he proved his worth. The Leafs (Dubas) capitulated and paid him that. I thought out of principle alone, I would have never given him that based on his demands, whether he deserved it or not.

Seems like in recent times in various sports now there is an increasing trend of players under contract who express to their team they want to be traded. If it is a free agent year or a contract yet, I get that, but I don't understand why teams would sign a player who doesn't want to be there. The only thing I can think of is that maybe giving them a different role, etc. may change their mind, but I don't like the player's mentality to begin with and most employers would not look on favour on employees who express an interest to be elsewhere. What am I missing here?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I don't understand this move. A player wants to be traded - clearly he does not want to be there. Why bother signing him? In any other industry if an employee expresses disinterest in their job, I don't see the company putting further investment in him/her. Wouldn't the Leafs be better to just bury him in the minors? If no other team wants him, doesn't that say something as well?

The Leafs seem to cave in to these players' demands. I remember Nylander asking for 8 million years ago...and I thought it was nuts he did this before he proved his worth. The Leafs (Dubas) capitulated and paid him that. I thought out of principle alone, I would have never given him that based on his demands, whether he deserved it or not.

Seems like in recent times in various sports now there is an increasing trend of players under contract who express to their team they want to be traded. If it is a free agent year or a contract yet, I get that, but I don't understand why teams would sign a player who doesn't want to be there. The only thing I can think of is that maybe giving them a different role, etc. may change their mind, but I don't like the player's mentality to begin with and most employers would not look on favour on employees who express an interest to be elsewhere. What am I missing here?
Maybe plan is he plays most season then they trade him at deadline. Who knows what the logic in any of this!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad