Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Nick Robertson re-signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $875k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It doesn’t make sense though . He is fairly muscular / is a gym rat . I think it’s balance . But either way you’re right it happens continually and is an actual issue
Maybe he focuses too much on upper body and not enough on lower body and core? A guy like Crosby isn't "jacked" up top (relatively speaking compared to other pro athletes), but he's got incredibly thick/powerful legs.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Maybe he focuses too much on upper body and not enough on lower body and core? A guy like Crosby isn't "jacked" up top (relatively speaking compared to other pro athletes), but he's got incredibly thick/powerful legs.
He seems decently proportioned but obviously not Crosby esque lower body wise . Basically make it or break it year .

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't understand this move. A player wants to be traded - clearly he does not want to be there. Why bother signing him? In any other industry if an employee expresses disinterest in their job, I don't see the company putting further investment in him/her. Wouldn't the Leafs be better to just bury him in the minors? If no other team wants him, doesn't that say something as well?

The Leafs seem to cave in to these players' demands. I remember Nylander asking for 8 million years ago...and I thought it was nuts he did this before he proved his worth. The Leafs (Dubas) capitulated and paid him that. I thought out of principle alone, I would have never given him that based on his demands, whether he deserved it or not.

Seems like in recent times in various sports now there is an increasing trend of players under contract who express to their team they want to be traded. If it is a free agent year or a contract yet, I get that, but I don't understand why teams would sign a player who doesn't want to be there. The only thing I can think of is that maybe giving them a different role, etc. may change their mind, but I don't like the player's mentality to begin with and most employers would not look on favour on employees who express an interest to be elsewhere. What am I missing here?

Because likely the Leafs see 1) see something in his current skillet that can help the team now and 2) with a bit more development/opportunity they can showcase him around the league and increase his trade value.

Burying him in the minors just writes off the asset and doesn't help the team at all in the present or in the future. We also don't know if no other team wants him - we only know the Leafs didn't receive their asking price.

Reactions: Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad