CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I seem to recall weather was particularly bad that year as well.
Wasn't 2019 really bad for smoke? That's what concerns me about any potential new stadium in this city. The cost of a dome is prohibitively expensive. However, we're dealing with smoke with regularity and may get worse in the future. Dome doesn't seem a luxury anymore but may become necessity . At least build one that is capable of being domed. I'm not a proponent of building a new one but if they're going that route.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Wasn't 2019 really bad for smoke? That's what concerns me about any potential new stadium in this city. The cost of a dome is prohibitively expensive. However, we're dealing with smoke with regularity and may get worse in the future. Dome doesn't seem a luxury anymore but may become necessity . At least build one that is capable of being domed. I'm not a proponent of building a new one but if they're going that route.
I don't really remember 2019 being particularly bad for smoke, especially compared to the last few years. There was a lot more rainy games than usual. By comparison, this year's been one of the best for game day weather in a long time.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Guy is like a cockroach.
Or as Tony Montana would say, "He's a cockaroacha.":D

Yeah 2019 was a terrible year as a fan. The team was terrible in the red zone and only won games if they were playing really terrbile Toronto, BC or Ottawa teams who I think didn't win 10 games combined between the 3 of them.

I seem to recall weather was particularly bad that year as well.
Compared to the last few years, 2019 would have seemed like a very successful year. Made the playoffs and actually won a playoff game. These Elks of the last few years don't even have a clue how to spell the word playoffs, let alone participate in one.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Has there been any talk of who Thompson is going to hire to run things? I know last week listening to the radio they were asking if it made sense to bring in an ex-eskimo as at the very least you can drive the passion from the top down.

Also there has been lots of talk about how it's not a community owned team anymore, but isn't having one local owner probably not a better situation?

I don't really get how a bunch of owners from the community is better. Reminds me of Kevin Lowe saying when he was trying to add people during the year that would've caused the club to go over budget that it would take weeks to get an answer. Just seems better off with less people to deal with if you are the president or GM.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Or as Tony Montana would say, "He's a cockaroacha.":D

Compared to the last few years, 2019 would have seemed like a very successful year. Made the playoffs and actually won a playoff game. These Elks of the last few years don't even have a clue how to spell the word playoffs, let alone participate in one.
I agree completely, but at the time it felt like rock bottom coming out a Grey Cup hosting season that they didn't even qualify for playoffs, then Reilly left and then the team just was completely average with Harris as the QB.

Ultimately it led to Maas being fired and everyone agreeing it was the right move. Hindsight sure provides a lot of clarity as I had no idea that what felt close to rock bottom then would be seen as great heights only one season later.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Has there been any talk of who Thompson is going to hire to run things? I know last week listening to the radio they were asking if it made sense to bring in an ex-eskimo as at the very least you can drive the passion from the top down.

Also there has been lots of talk about how it's not a community owned team anymore, but isn't having one local owner probably not a better situation?

I don't really get how a bunch of owners from the community is better. Reminds me of Kevin Lowe saying when he was trying to add people during the year that would've caused the club to go over budget that it would take weeks to get an answer. Just seems better off with less people to deal with if you are the president or GM.

I haven’t heard any negative comments about it not being community owned, only relief that the BOD is finally put out to pasture. Nothing can be as bad as what we endured. That is rock bottom.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I haven’t heard any negative comments about it not being community owned, only relief that the BOD is finally put out to pasture. Nothing can be as bad as what we endured. That is rock bottom.
Just more disappointment that there is one less community owned club across the country.

Having a passionate owner with money with deep roots in this city is going to be good in my opinion.

The other kicker for me is Larry seems to be well respected, so I am curious what this does for the club from advertising perspective.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't follow the CFL but I heard the Esks were on a 3 game winning streak so I checked the standing only to see they are at 3-7 how can this be possible with the top points scored stat in the league and a positive PF and PA record

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't follow the CFL but I heard the Esks were on a 3 game winning streak so I checked the standing only to see they are at 3-7 how can this be possible with the top points scored stat in the league and a positive PF and PA record
They loss 4 games by 3 points, one by 6 and one by 8.

They very literally in most games this year except the one they loss by 16 to Hamilton.

Like the dark days of the Oilers when morale is where it was bad teams find ways to lose games. Things seem to have changed for now.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In the first 5 games they never trailed by more than 8 points and even that was only for a couple minutes. Outside those few minutes, Edmonton was within a single score at all times and three times lost on walkoff field goals. Offense was pretty good in those first 5 games, but the defense never could get a stop when they needed to. Defense finally showed up in Game 6, but offense dried up, then Game 7 was just a full team debacle leading to them finally giving Ford a try.

Once they finally put Ford in and got a team wide boost from it, the team has kicked it into a high gear mostly dominating large stretches of the last three games.

Vs. Sask taking out the first and last plays of the game Edmonton outscored them 42-17 in the middle 59 minutes of the game.

Vs. BC after a mediocre first quarter, they outscored BC 32-6 from the 2nd quarter on

Vs. Hamilton they jumped out to a 32-3 lead in the first half and coasted home to a 47-22 win.

They are one of the best 3-7 I've seen. That's not to say they are an amazing team that is destined for a Cup appearance or even a playoff appearance, but even when the team was 0-5, it was obvious to those watching the games closely that this was the best Elks team since the name change, but they just had to figure out that last detail to turn close losses into wins.

Last edited:

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Our D is a lot better recently. We lost a good DT but finally replaced him a few weeks ago. Firing the HC probably helped as well

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Our D is a lot better recently. We lost a good DT but finally replaced him a few weeks ago. Firing the HC probably helped as well
I assume that you're referring to good DT Jake Ceresna and not disruptive bust Robert Nkemdiche, correct?

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah we lost Ceresna, but recently got Oakman.
Oakman is a definite upgrade over Ceresna. Jake had his moments against a few teams with shitty offensive lines and collected multiple sacks, but was basically invisible when we needed more against the good teams. Oakman seems very consistent and well rounded.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I will give Jones credit. Having the QB depth and RB depth to overcome injuries is quite something.
His main problem was mixing up his starting and backup QBs. As in pretending the true starter was actually a 3rd string chart carrier.

Unfortunate for Leake to not play. He was some lightning to Rankin's thunder, and so a really good compliment. Brown is similar to Rankin, so no change of pace there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad