CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don’t have an issue with the single and I have no idea why this is even an issue. Then again I only exclusively watched CFL all my life and I’m so used to it.

Agree, nothing wrong with yesterday's ending IMO, games have been won this way since time immemorial. It only seems to happen like that once every few years anyway.

Reactions: bellagiobob

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I don’t have an issue with the single and I have no idea why this is even an issue. Then again I only exclusively watched CFL all my life and I’m so used to it.
Its rewarding failure, I have only played and coached with the Canadian rules and have always questioned this point. I watch allot of NFL and NCAA college, my brother played down there too they have some weird kicking rules but I'd say their scoring system is right.

I do like the idea @Captain Fantastic has that the ball has touch the field of play before it goes out to count as a point.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
When punting it through the endzone, a punter can usually outkick a fieldgoal by a fair margin. I too, am uncertain as to why the Argos didn't just hammer it through with their punter. I agree that it should have to be handled to count.

Unbelievable that we are now only one game behind a playoff spot (need to jump 2 teams though), and only 2 behind first place! Go Elkimos!

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
When punting it through the endzone, a punter can usually outkick a fieldgoal by a fair margin. I too, am uncertain as to why the Argos didn't just hammer it through with their punter. I agree that it should have to be handled to count.

Unbelievable that we are now only one game behind a playoff spot (need to jump 2 teams though), and only 2 behind first place! Go Elkimos!
The CFL has a coaching problem too, when Jason Maas and Danny Maciocia might be the best coach/GM after Oshea and Walters in WPG there is a problem.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Riders really need to work on their clock management issues. And Harris isn’t the answer, but I think everyone already knew that. Assuming they will be the leading contender for Adams next year.

Reactions: brentashton

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
1724447179485.png

I don't think this was meant as a slight but it comes off like one :laugh:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I suspect there's less variance on a place kick compared to a punt. A kicker hits the ball flush on most FG attempts and can be pretty certain of the distance he can send it, a punt usually isn't perfect. So if you're confident the place kick has the distance to clear the endzone, default to that option...at least that's what the theory appears to be.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Riders really need to work on their clock management issues. And Harris isn’t the answer, but I think everyone already knew that. Assuming they will be the leading contender for Adams next year.
Clock management, counting to 12 men on the field, it seems like it’s always something in Riderville

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

Historically it's been harder to intentionally punt for a single than just kick a field goal (to win a game). I have a theories but honestly I don't really know why it's the case. Could it be because a punt is usually a few yards farther behind the LOS than a kick attempt, or that punt distances are usually just more inconsistent, but I think attempting the kick is the smarter play based on historical examples.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Historically it's been harder to intentionally punt for a single than just kick a field goal (to win a game). I have a theories but honestly I don't really know why it's the case. Could it be because a punt is usually a few yards farther behind the LOS than a kick attempt, or that punt distances are usually just more inconsistent, but I think attempting the kick is the smarter play based on historical examples.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Field goal attempts are line-drive type kicks where as punts are high arcing kicks. It’s much more accurate to place a line-drive kick than a punt. It’s also easier to block a punt than it is to block a field goal attempt. IMO, there is nothing wrong with this rule as is because there is strategy involved to it.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
I think I can get behind a rule change where if the ball is kicked through the end zone with no chance of return it’s not a single, but if it’s touched by a player and not brought out it’s a single. I believe this is how it currently works for kickoffs

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think I can get behind a rule change where if the ball is kicked through the end zone with no chance of return it’s not a single, but if it’s touched by a player and not brought out it’s a single. I believe this is how it currently works for kickoffs
That is how it is now but it wasn’t always that way. That was a rule they unnecessarily changed too. If a kicker can kick a ball 100 yards through the end zone it should be worth a point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad