Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Was the price on Jenken a slight overpay? Throwing in a 3rd for U18 draft guy that was a -21 last year seems a tad steep to me.
The third is in 2028 and the 5th is conditional (I'd assume on him being an OA). Might be a bit high but those two factors mitigate it a bit.

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
Are you referencing the rumour that Petes Updates has posted on X (Twitter)? Does anyone have any insight on what they are referencing to?
It's petes updates. Then he says in another tweet that the rumour he has heard has nothing to do with the current roster and that he hopes that it doesn't actually happen

Reactions: LDN

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
He put out... " I am hearing rumors I do not like... #Petes #OldFriend." Not sure if he considers oshawa an old friend 😆

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'm surprised the expectation is Smith is going to be back in the OHL. He'd be a great addition for Oshawa or another contending team but he's going to be way too big and strong for the league and seemed to acquit himself fairly well in his AHL ATO.

From a development perspective, you'd think he should be playing against men, not taking endless "2 minutes for being too strong" penalties from useless OHL referees...

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm surprised the expectation is Smith is going to be back in the OHL. He'd be a great addition for Oshawa or another contending team but he's going to be way too big and strong for the league and seemed to acquit himself fairly well in his AHL ATO.

From a development perspective, you'd think he should be playing against men, not taking endless "2 minutes for being too strong" penalties from useless OHL referees...
anahiem takes their time with players. he has things to work on, another year to be a top end ohl d would be better then in and out of the lineup in the ahl/echl.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Nice article on newly acquired Pete Matthew Jenken! Good to hear Peterborough was one of his top choices and he was finally able to get shoulder surgery which should hopefully allow him to elevate his game across many different ways. Excited to see him in maroon and white. Here is the article:

‘Peterborough was my No. 1 option the whole time’: Petes pick up player from Flint Firebirds

The Peterborough Petes newest player is coming off shoulder surgery he hopes will allow him to play to his full potential this season.

Matthew Jenken said his first two seasons with the OHL’s Flint Firebirds were hampered by a shoulder injury sustained as a rookie, which kept reoccurring as he played through it. He underwent surgery June 3 to repair a torn labrum and expects to be cleared to participate when training camp opens on Tuesday.

“This past year, I played every game but my shoulder almost every other game was popping out,” he said.

There may be some drills he’s unable to do for fitness testing.

“I’m just getting into weights now in my physio, but I’ll be ready for the first pre-season game and definitely ready for the regular season,” said Jenken.

“I’ve been feeling good and haven’t had pain in months,” he added, “It’s better than ever now. Last year I had worries about it and didn’t like going into games hoping my shoulder wouldn’t pop out. Now that it’s all good it just gives me a little bit more confidence that my shoulder is going to be back to 100 per cent.”

The Petes acquired the six-foot-four, 200-pound, right shot defenceman, who has 118 games of OHL regular season and playoff experience, from Flint in exchange for a 2026 sixth round pick, a 2028 third round pick, and a conditional 2027 fifth round pick (Windsor).

With Flint recently acquiring two defencemen selected in the NHL draft, Jenken didn’t see an opportunity to increase his role there and requested a trade early in the summer. He and his agent identified Peterborough as one of their top choices, believing his experience would be an asset to the Petes’ young defence.

“I wanted a change of scenery and something new and Peterborough was my No. 1 option the whole time,” he said. “This isn’t my last year of hockey but it’s an important one and I want to have a season where I can get a fresh start and build my confidence back.

“Peterborough has a really bright future and this year we’re going to be a good team,” he said. “Next year, my plan is to finish as a Pete and get an overage spot next year. I know there is a bunch of young guys and I thought it was a good opportunity to develop my leadership skills and be a good role model.”

He realized he would get his wish when he was contacted by Petes GM Mike Oke prior to the deal, as the Petes did their due diligence to ensure he’d be healthy.

“You don’t want to trade for a guy if he’s going to be out for longer than expected,” said Jenken. “It’s been a long couple of months and a little bit stressful because I wanted to get something done. I’m thrilled now and can’t wait to get started.”

Reactions: Petes1987 and Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Rosters are out now

Serov, Aljoundi and Hartnell are interesting.

IMG_7560.png
IMG_7561.png
IMG_7562.png

Reactions: Section5Petes

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Have to admit I am quite intrigued by Vasily Serov. He's a 2007 born centre and it could be a small price to potentially find another piece of this core. Obviously we have to see him in camp and potentially preseason but there may be something here...
Gens signed him out of camp because hes big and hoped his skating would improve (as is the knock on most big younger players). Then watched him all season at 18U and decided it’d be a good idea to give him a release to tryout for their rival..

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
anahiem takes their time with players. he has things to work on, another year to be a top end ohl d would be better then in and out of the lineup in the ahl/echl.
That’s what I hope NYR think with Roobroeck. Another season playing big minutes and in all situations. He likely won’t get that in the AHL/ECHL. There’s no downside to getting another year with alot of puck touches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad