Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This goalie situation is feeling like 21/22 when they gave Austin the net only to have Simpson take over

Austin was not the future should have been Simpson all season Sorry to Rye but he’s not the future. Bowen- johnson/lee stack combo to find our goalie for this 07 core
I know he ended up getting hurt but Rye outplayed Bowen the last couple days imo and Bowen certainly isn't the future either. Taking him back in Simpson trade kind of messed everything up, it should have been Sztuska/Rye last year.

(And I have no loyalty to any of them, I just want to see the best goalie in place for 26-27 - Rye at least could be a stud OA that year if he develops, Bowen is out of the league then no matter what).

Reactions: User13452

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I know he ended up getting hurt but Rye outplayed Bowen the last couple days imo and Bowen certainly isn't the future either. Taking him back in Simpson trade kind of messed everything up, it should have been Sztuska/Rye last year.

(And I have no loyalty to any of them, I just want to see the best goalie in place for 26-27 - Rye at least could be a stud OA that year if he develops, Bowen is out of the league then no matter what).
Bowen hasn’t proven anything yet. IMO you give him 15-20 games see how he is then decide what to do with him. I doubt he comes back as a OA they’ll want to give the majority of the starts to Rye and one of the 07’s next year

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Got Matejicek on the back end and waiting for the big swing Novotný
I know there has been some negative comments about the Petes scouting trip and drafting in the import draft, but let's not be too hasty to judge this situation yet. Here is what we know at this point.......

Novotný is an 07 late birthday who won't be eligible for the NHL draft until 2026.
He has been impressive internationally playing for Czechia.
The Petes goal this year is to make the playoffs........Novotný not being here this year means that another young player with get more ice-time to develop.
IMO this season is all about the young guys learning good habits, buying into the team culture and becoming better players. Making the playoffs is not a must for these goals to be reached (but any playoff experience for these guys would be great).

Novotný may not even show up in Peterborough next season.
Yes that would be very disappointing because it would be a great opportunity for him to get experience in the OHL, bond with teammates and coaches and show NHL scouts how his game translates on North American ice prior to the draft.

IMO it will be a "swing-and-a-miss" for the Petes if Novotný is not wearing the maroon and white in 2026-2027.
This will be after he is drafted by an NHL team. IMO the NHL GM that selects him should be excited directing Novotný to play with the Petes in 2026-2027.
Joining a team with the group of other 2007 players - Carson Cameron, Nicolas Addy, Aiden Young and Caden Taylor (all drafted in the top 16 players of the OHL draft) seems like no-brainer.

Sorry for rambling......I needed to distract myself from this goaltending situation!

Interesting update on Novotný from Petes Updates on X......

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The goalies are obviously where the intrigue is but the #1 takeaway from the last two days should probably be how good Fitzgerald is already.

The way he uses his size to finish hits, to win battles, to drive to the net - maybe his most unique trait for someone that young is how quickly and effectively he can get to the net with the puck on his stick. And his size/strength is just the top of it, he has great puck skills and a huge shot as well.

He's not going to need much time to adapt to the league, he should be able to play and be relatively successful right away.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I know there has been some negative comments about the Petes scouting trip and drafting in the import draft, but let's not be too hasty to judge this situation yet. Here is what we know at this point.......

Novotný is an 07 late birthday who won't be eligible for the NHL draft until 2026.
He has been impressive internationally playing for Czechia.
The Petes goal this year is to make the playoffs........Novotný not being here this year means that another young player with get more ice-time to develop.
IMO this season is all about the young guys learning good habits, buying into the team culture and becoming better players. Making the playoffs is not a must for these goals to be reached (but any playoff experience for these guys would be great).

Novotný may not even show up in Peterborough next season.
Yes that would be very disappointing because it would be a great opportunity for him to get experience in the OHL, bond with teammates and coaches and show NHL scouts how his game translates on North American ice prior to the draft.

IMO it will be a "swing-and-a-miss" for the Petes if Novotný is not wearing the maroon and white in 2026-2027.
This will be after he is drafted by an NHL team. IMO the NHL GM that selects him should be excited directing Novotný to play with the Petes in 2026-2027.
Joining a team with the group of other 2007 players - Carson Cameron, Nicolas Addy, Aiden Young and Caden Taylor (all drafted in the top 16 players of the OHL draft) seems like no-brainer.

Sorry for rambling......I needed to distract myself from this goaltending situation!

Interesting update on Novotný from Petes Updates on X......

That was a very well thought out message and I do agree with your arguments. I apologize if my "swing" comment came off as a negative because I didn't mean it in a bad way, as I actually meant it in a good way in that we have a superstar essentially in our prospect pool . I just used that word to describe how impactful of a player he will be when he comes, sort of in a similar way to how Dvorsky was considered a 'swing'.

I was and still am a big fan of this new Petes import strategy/investment and there are teams around the league that I'm sure wish they were able to also implement something similar. This investment is a long term strategy that intends to build and grow European relationships and utilize the import draft as a pipeline for high end talent, as opposed to just a stopgap basic roster filler with players who do not move the needle at all. I am glad the Petes are now seeing the Import draft this way, with the import draft now becoming a strategic opportuntity to add high end talent.

That being said, I am looking forward to the Maroon and White game tonight. Still lots of questions to answer, but none bigger than this goalie one...

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
That was a very well thought out message and I do agree with your arguments. I apologize if my "swing" comment came off as a negative because I didn't mean it in a bad way, as I actually meant it in a good way in that we have a superstar essentially in our prospect pool . I just used that word to describe how impactful of a player he will be when he comes, sort of in a similar way to how Dvorsky was considered a 'swing'.

I was and still am a big fan of this new Petes import strategy/investment and there are teams around the league that I'm sure wish they were able to also implement something similar. This investment is a long term strategy that intends to build and grow European relationships and utilize the import draft as a pipeline for high end talent, as opposed to just a stopgap basic roster filler with players who do not move the needle at all. I am glad the Petes are now seeing the Import draft this way, with the import draft now becoming a strategic opportuntity to add high end talent.

That being said, I am looking forward to the Maroon and White game tonight. Still lots of questions to answer, but none bigger than this goalie one...
Sorry @Section5Petes my post was not a shot at you at all. I just replied to your post because you were discussing the import situation.
I can't make it to the game today but I will follow online. Will be interesting to see who signs before the exhibition games begin.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
IMG_7589.png

Remaining 16yo in camp - Fitzgerald, Gowan, Levac, Ula and Gelinas.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
From the chatter I’ve heard on here- Fitzgerald, Gowan, ula locks? Last spot between Levac and gelinas?
They would seem to have six D spots locked up with:

Cameron
Matejicek
Strohack
Jenken
Ladds
Gowan

Then:
Woulds and Velliaris from last year

I would still try to sign Ula but I don't think he cracks the top 6 and I think Woulds has played well and may be an ideal 7 in that he's probably fine in and out of the lineup where with Ula, you may want him to play more often.

Velliaris probably isn't a factor but he's been fine too and Wilson probably loves him...

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
The goalies are obviously where the intrigue is but the #1 takeaway from the last two days should probably be how good Fitzgerald is already.

The way he uses his size to finish hits, to win battles, to drive to the net - maybe his most unique trait for someone that young is how quickly and effectively he can get to the net with the puck on his stick. And his size/strength is just the top of it, he has great puck skills and a huge shot as well.

He's not going to need much time to adapt to the league, he should be able to play and be relatively successful right away.
Think he'll maybe start on the 3rd line, or even the 2nd?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

late first rounder by puck preps, what a joke

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Imo Serov could easily take Partridge’s spot. Bigger more skill and he’s a year younger.
Yeah Partridge is the returning forward who could very easily be on the bubble imo.

Coming into camp, I may have put Faulkner or Cadorin in that group but they both stand out as clearly better than the rookies and invites but Partridge really didn't to me.

The 06 born group is already so weak, to drop one more from that age probably isn't ideal but I'm not sure he's one of the 12 best forwards in camp.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Think he'll maybe start on the 3rd line, or even the 2nd?
I don't think there are six forwards on this team better than Fitzgerald... Probably the 3 OAs on age/experience, then McCallum and Taylor... Fitzgerald to me is the next guy. It will depend on position, lines, what they want to do but he's not out of place on the 2nd line on this roster.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Have they signed DLS yet?

"Following the game, Petes General Manager and Vice President of Operations Michael Oke announced that the following players have been reassigned:

• Brody Leet
  • Chase Del Colombo
  • Cameron Martin
  • Spencer Thompson
  • Dylan Turcotte
  • Isaac Larmand
  • Aiden Al-Joundi
  • Gavin Haslam
  • Dylan Lee-Stack
  • Kyle Secko"

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
"Following the game, Petes General Manager and Vice President of Operations Michael Oke announced that the following players have been reassigned:

• Brody Leet
  • Chase Del Colombo
  • Cameron Martin
  • Spencer Thompson
  • Dylan Turcotte
  • Isaac Larmand
  • Aiden Al-Joundi
  • Gavin Haslam
  • Dylan Lee-Stack
  • Kyle Secko"
Mistake imo cutting DLS but not surprised they’d keep 2 Peterborough goalies ahead of him. Would have liked to see him in an exhibition game at least. Verner staying loyal to his ptbo guys not a shock.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
This team just can’t help themselves. They cut two of the players who performed the best in camp this week in Dylan Turcotte and Dylan Lee-Stack.

They preach all the time about coming in and earning your spot and that your draft position doesn’t matter… blah, blah, blah.

Well clearly that isn't true because with these moves they’ve all but admitted they’ve hand picked 98% of the team before camp even starts.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Stack outperformed every tender in camp smells like a blind loyalty thing by verner.
Absolutely stunningly stupid but again...

Verner worked all summer with Rye and Johnston.
“Easton had to go anywhere and everywhere to get ice-time and whether they loved it or not I certainly appreciate the fact he did whatever he could to get games in and be around us as much as possible. There’s a certain amount of loyalty that comes with that,” said Verner. “We’ll give Easton every chance to prove himself here in Peterborough.”

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
You just knew after that article where Verner talked about Rye doing whatever it took to get ice time in the summer that he wasn’t getting cut. Not sure why you’d keep a 06 goalie who’s got 9 career games and a gaa over 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad