Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I have autism sometimes I miss things mo reason to be mean
you welhere propably going off the couch scout at puck preps, who probably had him at a late first like belchez, not your fault but lesson learned

That’s what I hope NYR think with Roobroeck. Another season playing big minutes and in all situations. He likely won’t get that in the AHL/ECHL. There’s no downside to getting another year with alot of puck touches.
smith is not signed. Roobroeck is. It’s rare a signed kid comes back,

Reactions: Section5Petes

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
you welhere propably going off the couch scout at puck preps, who probably had him at a late first like belchez, not your fault but lesson learned

smith is not signed. Roobroeck is. It’s rare a signed kid comes back,
Makes zero sense for NYR to burn a year of his contract.
Have to assume Oshawa will be in the market for a top C.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Makes zero sense for NYR to burn a year of his contract.
Have to assume Oshawa will be in the market for a top C.
Talking to Gens staffers this week @ camp, they think it's 60/40 that Roobroeck is back. But of course that also means 40% he's gone. So in other words, will depend how he does @ Hartford AHL camp. But if he doesn't shine, Gens expect him back based on their convos with NYR, which Petes fans know well after it happened with Zach Gallant

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Fitzgerald is going to be good right away. Gowan can probably play day one as well. 7th round pick Raiden Doxtator really jumps out with his skating as well.

Gens signed him out of camp because hes big and hoped his skating would improve (as is the knock on most big younger players).
I could see the Petes doing the same. You probably don't want him in your top 12 forwards right now, even on this rebuilding team, but he does look like type of raw skills guy you sign and try to develop.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Fitzgerald is going to be good right away. Gowan can probably play day one as well. 7th round pick Raiden Doxtator really jumps out with his skating as well.

I could see the Petes doing the same. You probably don't want him in your top 12 forwards right now, even on this rebuilding team, but he does look like type of raw skills guy you sign and try to develop.
Doxtator was good at rookie camp as well. Wouldn’t mind him being signed and then sent to play a year in GOJHL.

Nice to hear about Fitzgerald and Gowan.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Way way way too early, only saw a bit of each team before work this AM, take this with a massive grain of salt, if you're a parent/player reading this, it's super early, tons of time left guess at what this team looks like:

Forwards - starting 12:
Melee - captain, top returning scorer etc
McIntyre - could put up a bunch of points as OA
Lefebvre - going on what others have said re: OA choices. I think there's a case for Sztuska
McCallum - of course
Taylor - looked a bit more engaged physically
Addy - looked to be moving a little quicker
Young - had a couple nice shots.
Page - vet at this point
Fitzgerald - looks really really good
Cadorin - growing into a pain in the ass/pest as expected
Faulkner - he's unquestionably one of the 12 best forwards here, can play up and down the lineup.
Partridge - could see someone taking this spot though to be honest

Sign for depth/development :
Raiden Doxtator (08) - like I say, the skating will play
Brody Leet (07) - don't know much about him, other guys on the U18 team had more points last year but he made some really nice plays, decent skater, had a really good morning imo
Dylan Turcotte (07) - there's something there I think
Vasily Serov (07) - good size, made some nice plays

Defense
Cameron - of course
Matejicek - was the best dman, maybe best player out there today
Jenken - didn't play but got him for a reason
Strohack - he's good.
Ladds - looked a lot better to me, more confident, see what happens against tougher competition
Gowan - as I said, looks capable of playing immediately
Woulds - he looks like an OHL defenseman, hasn't done anything to lose the job imo
(Velliaris is probably unfortunately in the same spot as last year)

Sign for depth/development
Genc Ula (08) - probably better playing a regular shift somewhere this year because he would be #7 here
Calum Hartnell (07) - I don't know about this one to be honest - he was all over the ice, playing rover almost at times, making some plays happen and not afraid physically despite the size. I don't know if it plays in the regular season at this point but it's a style I personally love watching and know it also drives a lot of other fans crazy.

Goalies:
They all played pretty well. I wouldn't want to be the one making this call. I do think Sztuska is the best of the bunch but if they're all playing well, I get why they may go another way. I still think if that's the route they go, it makes sense to get a gap in age between the two goalies which probably means Bowen and Johnston but Rye was good today and hasn't done anything to lose his spot.

------

Overall, it's always exciting to be back in the rink. Feels like a really good mix of speed, size, skill and physical play. I don't think this will be the worst team in the league like many expect. The obvious issue is that the top end talent is still really young but the team should get better as the year goes on. Of course the regular season will be a different story in terms of level of competition.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Way way way too early, only saw a bit of each team before work this AM, take this with a massive grain of salt, if you're a parent/player reading this, it's super early, tons of time left guess at what this team looks like:

Forwards - starting 12:
Melee - captain, top returning scorer etc
McIntyre - could put up a bunch of points as OA
Lefebvre - going on what others have said re: OA choices. I think there's a case for Sztuska
McCallum - of course
Taylor - looked a bit more engaged physically
Addy - looked to be moving a little quicker
Young - had a couple nice shots.
Page - vet at this point
Fitzgerald - looks really really good
Cadorin - growing into a pain in the ass/pest as expected
Faulkner - he's unquestionably one of the 12 best forwards here, can play up and down the lineup.
Partridge - could see someone taking this spot though to be honest

Sign for depth/development :
Raiden Doxtator (08) - like I say, the skating will play
Brody Leet (07) - don't know much about him, other guys on the U18 team had more points last year but he made some really nice plays, decent skater, had a really good morning imo
Dylan Turcotte (07) - there's something there I think
Vasily Serov (07) - good size, made some nice plays

Defense
Cameron - of course
Matejicek - was the best dman, maybe best player out there today
Jenken - didn't play but got him for a reason
Strohack - he's good.
Ladds - looked a lot better to me, more confident, see what happens against tougher competition
Gowan - as I said, looks capable of playing immediately
Woulds - he looks like an OHL defenseman, hasn't done anything to lose the job imo
(Velliaris is probably unfortunately in the same spot as last year)

Sign for depth/development
Genc Ula (08) - probably better playing a regular shift somewhere this year because he would be #7 here
Calum Hartnell (07) - I don't know about this one to be honest - he was all over the ice, playing rover almost at times, making some plays happen and not afraid physically despite the size. I don't know if it plays in the regular season at this point but it's a style I personally love watching and know it also drives a lot of other fans crazy.

Goalies:
They all played pretty well. I wouldn't want to be the one making this call. I do think Sztuska is the best of the bunch but if they're all playing well, I get why they may go another way. I still think if that's the route they go, it makes sense to get a gap in age between the two goalies which probably means Bowen and Johnston but Rye was good today and hasn't done anything to lose his spot.

------

Overall, it's always exciting to be back in the rink. Feels like a really good mix of speed, size, skill and physical play. I don't think this will be the worst team in the league like many expect. The obvious issue is that the top end talent is still really young but the team should get better as the year goes on. Of course the regular season will be a different story in terms of level of competition.
I think Leet is one to watch because he’s plays centre and plays with an edge. If I remember correctly he fought Addy at rookie camp and got the better of him

sidomi28

Dec 24, 2023
I've heard rumblings they're going with Bowen and Rye and that Stuz is off to London following Simpson's footsteps. Taylor had an odd reaction to a penalty he caused today for pulling a player's jersey. Went off and threw his helmet down the tunnel. Coaches and trainers shaking their heads. Seems like those attitude issues haven't quite cleared. Did anyone else see the outburst and laxidazey play? Players love him though.

On a positive note, Fitzgerald looks like the real deal. Reminds me of a McTavish 2.0 almost.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I've heard rumblings they're going with Bowen and Rye and that Stuz is off to London following Simpson's footsteps. Taylor had an odd reaction to a penalty he caused today for pulling a player's jersey. Went off and threw his helmet down the tunnel. Coaches and trainers shaking their heads. Seems like those attitude issues haven't quite cleared. Did anyone else see the outburst and laxidazey play? Players love him though.

On a positive note, Fitzgerald looks like the real deal. Reminds me of a McTavish 2.0 almost.
Not really surprised but not a huge fan of going with Rye. I know you could make an argument that he’s earned it because he’s grinded it out in the Petes system but I already think that Johnston and even this Dylan Lee-Stack guy are better…

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Not really surprised but not a huge fan of going with Rye. I know you could make an argument that he’s earned it because he’s grinded it out in the Petes system but I already think that Johnston and even this Dylan Lee-Stack guy are better…
I agree but today's examiner article sure makes it sound like Bowen/Rye.

They shouldn't have their minds made up yet and they should carry at least one of the 07s, I don't care that Rye rode around with Verner all summer, it feels Mickey Mouse.

Verner worked all summer with Rye and Johnston.
“Easton had to go anywhere and everywhere to get ice-time and whether they loved it or not I certainly appreciate the fact he did whatever he could to get games in and be around us as much as possible. There’s a certain amount of loyalty that comes with that,” said Verner. “We’ll give Easton every chance to prove himself here in Peterborough.”

Edit - this could also be Verner being loyal and lobbying for his guys but ultimately it won't/shouldn't be his final call

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I agree that I think one of the 07’s should be given a shot to see if they’re ready for the OHL… we need a goalie that aligns with the core of this team.

If they do end up going with Bowen/Rye I suspect they use one of there second rounders on a goalie at the next draft.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I don't think this would ever happen but I'd kind of love to see them roll with all three of Rye, Johnston and Lee-Stack and letting their play this year determine who the long term answer is.

That way if Rye is the guy, at least he has a lot more time playing, he's not wasting as a back up this year and potentially next behind Bowen. And then they have a goalie with experience who lines up with the time frame, whichever of the three it ends up being.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don't think this would ever happen but I'd kind of love to see them roll with all three of Rye, Johnston and Lee-Stack and letting their play this year determine who the long term answer is.

That way if Rye is the guy, at least he has a lot more time playing, he's not wasting as a back up this year and potentially next behind Bowen. And then they have a goalie with experience who lines up with the time frame, whichever of the three it ends up being.
I’d be 100% on board with this. But I wonder if Johnston and Lee-Stack would be reluctant to sign with this set up

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
From what I saw this AM, I'd add Easton Lynds and Aiden Al-Joundi to the list of forwards who should get some decent consideration for signing and developing.

Gowan makes some great passes out of the D zone.

Rye and Lee-Stack both looked good in net.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I've heard rumblings they're going with Bowen and Rye and that Stuz is off to London following Simpson's footsteps.
Called this months ago along with other moves being made. I’m just a fan but maybe I’m psychic LOL
Taylor had an odd reaction to a penalty he caused today for pulling a player's jersey. Went off and threw his helmet down the tunnel. Coaches and trainers shaking their heads. Seems like those attitude issues haven't quite cleared. Did anyone else see the outburst and laxidazey play? Players love him though.
That has to be fixed. NHL scouts if they find out about that will be asking him I’m sure. Good competitive nature though so that’s always a good thing to see especially in training camp.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Goaltending decisions will be telling because if it's performance/competition based, there's no chance they let Lee-Stack leave without signing, even with two incumbents and two Peterborough kids who are supposed to be next in line.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Goaltending decisions will be telling because if it's performance/competition based, there's no chance they let Lee-Stack leave without signing, even with two incumbents and two Peterborough kids who are supposed to be next in line.
This is the right take and it seems to be the consensus amongst most people I’ve talked to and seen. If you want to win and make the best hockey decisions you have to put emotions aside and truly pick who is best. It’s great to be loyal to your players but we simply cannot be loyal to a fault. Banners hang forever

Reactions: Petes and User13452

cleodog

Aug 12, 2022
This goalie situation is feeling like 21/22 when they gave Austin the net only to have Simpson take over

Austin was not the future should have been Simpson all season Sorry to Rye but he’s not the future. Bowen- johnson/lee stack combo to find our goalie for this 07 core

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad