CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I thought the crowd sounded loud while watching the tv broadcast too.
Remember the hockey games from an empty Rogers Place during the COVID season? Smoke, mirrors and tech can make a broom closet sound like it has 10,000 people inside. Might be a bit of that happening on TSNs broadcasts.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Actually pretty typical that operations of an organization get “frozen” (kept status quo) when an ownership transfer is well on the way to reality.

Large decisions that could affect the longer term operations, reputation, value of the org would have to be vetted through the prospective owners.Failure to do so could cause a material breach in altering the asset for sale and the others could then potentially walk away from the purchase. Shareholders would be all over a BoD if that were to occur.

This involvement by new ownership before the transfer is fully passed happens in all business with regularity.
Good point--if there is a pending agreement in place then any "material" change must be approved. I guess I was overly skeptical that the EE were near an agreement.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Remember the hockey games from an empty Rogers Place during the COVID season? Smoke, mirrors and tech can make a broom closet sound like it has 10,000 people inside. Might be a bit of that happening on TSNs broadcasts.
First thing I thought of too when I saw all those empty seats. People at the game said it was a lively atmosphere though so I’ll take their word for it.

Reactions: brentashton

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is totally understandable.Lelacheur is leading the effort. ;)
I really hope he doesn't screw it up at the last minute with some demand for a new stadium. Nobody is going to spend $500M+ in this type of situation. Anyway, I hope it gets done in the next few weeks and then the club can fight back to respectability.

I can see a new stadium somewhere down the road but not for at least 5 years. I would say a decade or more given the City's finances. No private owner would fit the bill by themselves.

And with inflation running so high in terms of construction materials--plus labor shortages/inflation-- then who knows what the final tab might be.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really hope he doesn't screw it up at the last minute with some demand for a new stadium. Nobody is going to spend $500M+ in this type of situation. Anyway, I hope it gets done in the next few weeks and then the club can fight back to respectability.

I can see a new stadium somewhere down the road but not for at least 5 years. I would say a decade or more given the City's finances. No private owner would fit the bill by themselves.

And with inflation running so high in terms of construction materials--plus labor shortages/inflation-- then who knows what the final tab might be.
I honestly can't even see a new stadium being built for a very long time. There is no way to justify it.

Would need another major tenant.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

We'll not see a new building until there's some kind a global event of sorts that Edmonton or Alberta ends up hosting to justify the expense.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We'll not see a new building until there's some kind a global event of sorts that Edmonton or Alberta ends up hosting to justify the expense.
Most people would agree with that logic but again I hope that the EE board does too.

My bigger concern is that the new owner really doesn't have the deep pockets to cover what might be a 3M-4M loss for another few years (or more) because that's possible. That's why I was hoping that Katz bought the team. It would just be a small annual expense/deduction on his tax return.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Most people would agree with that logic but again I hope that the EE board does too.

My bigger concern is that the new owner really doesn't have the deep pockets to cover what might be a 3M-4M loss for another few years (or more) because that's possible. That's why I was hoping that Katz bought the team. It would just be a small annual expense/deduction on his tax return.
Consider the source, but Gregor was saying terms of the sale were that the incoming owners had to pony up approx 20 million into the stabilization fund to off set future losses.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Edmonton has a great stadium already. It would be beyond unthinkable to believe that you have to walk away from Commonwealth for something newer and shinier to make a pro team work there.

It’s had upgrades and renos and it will need more to keep it current and viable but it’s got great bones, is still an architectural beauty.

What it really needs is an owner and BoD that can put a product on the field that attracts asses. CFL, MSL, CPL, etc.. I had seasons at Taylor Field for too many years. Now that was a dump. When the liquid dripping from the concourse on you as you walked down the ramp after a game smelled suspiciously like…well, let’s just say it was gross. Odd that it never leaked on you before a game as you walked up to your seat.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Consider the source, but Gregor was saying terms of the sale were that the incoming owners had to pony up approx 20 million into the stabilization fund to off set future losses.
That sounds about right to me. The EE basically blew through most of a $13M stabilization fund in 3 years so a $20M security sounds about right.

So really, it's not about buying the team for $1 as some have suggested.

You are essentially posting a 20M bond with no assurances that you will ever retrieve the money.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That seems to be a mea culpa on the current BoD that they pissed the current fund away and don’t want to be blamed for future issues when the new owners possibly lament that the cupboard is bare, even if it’s not on their watch anymore.

It’s really a non issue either way. Either the new owners create a stability fund now or they pay up later.

It’s the same for any organization that doesn’t create emergency reserves. You pay now or you pay later . Just window dressing by the current board to want to appear that they were fiscally responsible.

These clowns can’t be ousted fast enough.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Edmonton has a great stadium already. It would be beyond unthinkable to believe that you have to walk away from Commonwealth for something newer and shinier to make a pro team work there.

It’s had upgrades and renos and it will need more to keep it current and viable but it’s got great bones, is still an architectural beauty.

What it really needs is an owner and BoD that can put a product on the field that attracts asses. CFL, MSL, CPL, etc.. I had seasons at Taylor Field for too many years. Now that was a dump. When the liquid dripping from the concourse on you as you walked down the ramp after a game smelled suspiciously like…well, let’s just say it was gross. Odd that it never leaked on you before a game as you walked up to your seat.
As posted many times before-- over 200M in upgrades since its inception and again as we posted before its beautiful compared to a number of NFL stadiums that look spartan and dumpy.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
That sounds about right to me. The EE basically blew through most of a $13M stabilization fund in 3 years so a $20M security sounds about right.

You are essentially posting a 20M bond with no assurances that you will ever retrieve the money.
Plus they put their integrity and reputation on the line in taking over this community franchise. That's worth a lot.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

Half of that was do to government actions.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I didn't like Jones as a coach but if this story is true then Ford should go as well.

There were games when Tom Wilkinson started ahead of Warren Moon (when Campbell decided he wanted a change) so if CFL and NFL Hall of Famer Moon can sit ---then so can Ford.

I wonder if this story is true though? The Elks are such a mess these days, you hardly know who or what to believe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad