CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Perfect

I mean it's a bad look from Ford, but good thing we signed a 36 year old QB to start over him and sour the relationship.

Now both of them will be gone within the next few years, and the Elks are back looking for a QB once again.

If this is the kind of guy Ford is, it's not really a loss. He might win a few games. He might be interesting to watch when playing, but anybody with this kind of attitude will never be a leader on a successful team, so cut the losses.

Maybe someone might get tricked into taking him, but he needs to realize there are only 9 starting QB jobs available. Expecting to be gifted one without any competition isn't happening anywhere.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Perfect

I mean it's a bad look from Ford, but good thing we signed a 36 year old QB to start over him and sour the relationship.

Now both of them will be gone within the next few years, and the Elks are back looking for a QB once again.
I think there's likely a lot of missing context. That said their team has been a sustained disaster that only peeked at turning the corner late last season when Ford was finally given a chance. He actually gave them some upwardly momentum. His GM/Coach rewards him with signing another old American QB to push him back to the sidelines. Team failure continued.

As a Canadian trained QB Ford has for a very long time been told his future was to be converted into a positional player elsewhere on lineups. He's rebuffed doubters for a long time. He might feel performance and results haven't counted.

I'd love for the Riders to take Ford off of their hands. :nod:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think there's likely a lot of missing context. That said their team has been a sustained disaster that only peeked at turning the corner late last season when Ford was finally given a chance. He actually gave them some upwardly momentum. His GM/Coach rewards him with signing another old American QB to push him back to the sidelines. Team failure continued.

As a Canadian trained QB Ford has for a very long time been told his future was to be converted into a positional player elsewhere on lineups. He's rebuffed doubters for a long time. He might feel performance and results haven't counted.

Context is everything, agreed.

Seems like an odd stance to take when you haven’t really established a foundation in the league to pull that kind of power move. For the promising kid’s sake, I hope there is more to the comment than what was asserted.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Do I get why he’s upset? Yes. Still you aren’t owed the starter spot after half a season of decent football. Should he be the starter? Probably but do your reps to the best of your ability and erase any doubt that you should be the starter. If not for yourself at least for the players around you. Request out like a normal player and play when you can instead of boohooing on the sidelines. The Elks can’t even think about starting him now. Good work Tre.

Roughriders can have him if this is true. We’re a dumpster fire but a player with that type of mentality isn’t going to be the one to lead us out of the flames.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Do I get why he’s upset? Yes. Still you aren’t owed the starter spot after half a season of decent football. Should he be the starter? Probably but do your reps to the best of your ability and erase any doubt that you should be the starter. If not for yourself at least for the players around you. Request out like a normal player and play when you can instead of boohooing on the sidelines. The Elks can’t even think about starting him now. Good work Tre.

Roughriders can have him if this is true. We’re a dumpster fire but a player with that type of mentality isn’t going to be the one to lead us out of the flames.
And @brentashton

I wonder if trust and respect were broken in the off season after the kid showed promise when actually finally given the reigns to play (and win). Off season comes and your GM/Head Coach makes a major move at your position and declares this (without speaking to 'the future.')

The Edmonton Elks didn’t reach out to Tre Ford prior to signing McLeod Bethel-Thompson on a deal that will almost surely make him the team’s starting quarterback.

“I don’t coddle these guys. Some people in this new-school era, they coddle these players. We signed a three-technique, I didn’t call Sam Acheampong to see what his opinion was. We make the decisions based off what we feel like makes our football team better,” head coach and general manager Chris Jones told the media via videoconference on Monday.

“We certainly respect everybody that we have that’s in our uniform. [Ford’s] a big part of what we have moving forward, he’ll be a big part of what we’re doing. He’s a tremendous talent and he’s certainly intriguing for our league but to say that we involved him in the process, that wouldn’t be accurate.”

So the decision was made. Same team results transpired. GM/Head Coach finally gonged after seemingly alienating a player he calls a part of their future but neither he with his GM cap on or an offensive coordinator can't make a call to inform him of the signing, assert the rationale, the future path they see for the young cornerstone position player and move on. Muddled with an old schooler entrenched as both GM and Head Coach. Seems a pretty short sided way of running a brutal team and organization.

EDIT: We have no idea how Ford practices which it's also easy to assume that's where he is putting his energy to stay sharp and refine his skills.

EDIT 2: Looking back further Jones in October publicly declares Ford the #1 starter going into next season. Calls an audible in January and can't be bothered to call Ford instead letting this news reach him when announced to the general public. Bush league. https://3downnation.com/2023/10/24/...n-elks-starter-but-everythings-a-competition/

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
If this is the kind of guy Ford is, it's not really a loss. He might win a few games. He might be interesting to watch when playing, but anybody with this kind of attitude will never be a leader on a successful team, so cut the losses.

Maybe someone might get tricked into taking him, but he needs to realize there are only 9 starting QB jobs available. Expecting to be gifted one without any competition isn't happening anywhere.
Agreed. So we should trade him now while he has any value left.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
And @brentashton

I wonder if trust and respect were broken in the off season after the kid showed promise when actually finally given the reigns to play (and win). Off season comes and your GM/Head Coach makes a major move at your position and declares this (without speaking to 'the future.')

The Edmonton Elks didn’t reach out to Tre Ford prior to signing McLeod Bethel-Thompson on a deal that will almost surely make him the team’s starting quarterback.

“I don’t coddle these guys. Some people in this new-school era, they coddle these players. We signed a three-technique, I didn’t call Sam Acheampong to see what his opinion was. We make the decisions based off what we feel like makes our football team better,” head coach and general manager Chris Jones told the media via videoconference on Monday.

“We certainly respect everybody that we have that’s in our uniform. [Ford’s] a big part of what we have moving forward, he’ll be a big part of what we’re doing. He’s a tremendous talent and he’s certainly intriguing for our league but to say that we involved him in the process, that wouldn’t be accurate.”

So the decision was made. Same team results transpired. GM/Head Coach finally gonged after seemingly alienating a player he calls a part of their future but neither he with his GM cap on or an offensive coordinator can't make a call to inform him of the signing, assert the rationale, the future path they see for the young cornerstone position player and move on. Muddled with an old schooler entrenched as both GM and Head Coach. Seems a pretty short sided way of running a brutal team and organization.

EDIT: We have no idea how Ford practices which it's also easy to assume that's where he is putting his energy to stay sharp and refine his skills.
It could very well be the case. I agree it was just another douche move by CJ played out that way. Not surprised.

But now that he’s gone why be still dug in? New GM and Coach in place, albeit interim, why not work with them and show some willingness to accommodate, for the sake of your own career? Maybe his agent has determined it’s in his best interest at any cost to get out of the organization, full stop. If so, demand a trade but in the meantime show other teams what your potential is by playing whatever downs and package sets your given.

I dunno. I guess first off, my generation usually minded our Ps and Qs until it was our time to climb the corporate ladder. Today it’s different (and probably rightly so). They go out and demand the opportunity whenever they feel like it. That’s ok too. But either way, own your actions and the results they bring you.

Reactions: bellagiobob

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
And @brentashton

Ford has half a season in the league. This isn’t Lamar Jackson. The Elks are supposed to reach out to him before getting a QB? In what world? and secondly would that really change anything?

Jones is a dink no doubt but sure looks like Fords isn’t all sun shine and rainbows either. Sorry but outright refusing to play with only a cup of coffee in the league is a massive red flag. We’re there other incidents?

If Ford is outright refusing reps in games I’ll go out on a limb and say he’s probably not practising very hard either. That’s just a guess though.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It could very well be the case. I agree it was just another douche move by CJ played out that way. Not surprised.

But now that he’s gone why be still dug in? New GM and Coach in place, albeit interim, why not work with them and show some willingness to accommodate, for the sake of your own career? Maybe his agent has determined it’s in his best interest at any cost to get out of the organization, full stop. If so, demand a trade but in the meantime show other teams what your potential is by playing whatever downs and package sets your given.

I dunno. I guess first off, my generation usually minded our Ps and Qs until it was our time to climb the corporate ladder. Today it’s different (and probably rightly so). They go out and demand the opportunity whenever they feel like it. That’s ok too. But either way, own your actions and the results they bring you.
I suspect trust and integrity were likely broken with change in direction and no common sense involved in failing to speak with the player. Simon was part of the coaching staff and likely decision making. Might be part of the baggage.

I'm sure Ford is likely a prideful athlete with his non-conventional path to get this far. Hard to know what the schemes and usage details might be but if its 3rd and 1, we need you to get the yard. Or just run option plays, he might feel its narrowing his ability to demonstrate his ability and gain meaningful experience to become QB1. I don't absolve him of poor judgement. But Jones has been an unmitigated disaster alienating a guy that won him football games and declared him an important part of the future. Should have been handled much differently.

Many talent evaluators agreed with how Ford's potential is viewed https://3downnation.com/2024/01/06/...-ford-is-the-next-great-canadian-quarterback/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ford has half a season in the league. This isn’t Lamar Jackson. The Elks are supposed to reach out to him before getting a QB? In what world? and secondly would that really change anything?

Jones is a dink no doubt but sure looks like Fords isn’t all sun shine and rainbows either. Sorry but outright refusing to play with only a cup of coffee in the league is a massive red flag. We’re there other incidents?

If Ford is outright refusing reps in games I’ll go out on a limb and say he’s probably not practising very hard either. That’s just a guess though.
Jones speaks out of both sides of his mouth in the article I linked. It's a tough call to make but a necessary one that any GM with integrity and common sense would make to inform an important player that the October plan has changed and that a new veteran QB1 has been signed (quite possibly for multiple years).

Jones old school practices have reaped what they sowed. Fired and leaving a shambles team with no wins. Probably a blessing for Ford to get out of there and into a new, professional environment. He has to own his part in this. Without context it seems very poor judgement to decline playing time. But if there's no future in sight with a shambles organization it might be the exit strategy to a new environment. We're missing a lot of context here and I just choose to not bury a promising young player who's been told one thing; not informed of a change in plan; and doesn't see a future where he's at.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Jones speaks out of both sides of his mouth in the article I linked. It's a tough call to make but a necessary one that any GM with integrity and common sense would make to inform an important player that the October plan has changed and that a new veteran QB1 has been signed (quite possibly for multiple years).

Jones old school practices have reaped what they sowed. Fired and leaving a shambles team with no wins. Probably a blessing for Ford to get out of there and into a new, professional environment. He has to own his part in this. Without context it seems very poor judgement to decline playing time. But if there's no future in sight with a shambles organization it might be the exit strategy to a new environment. We're missing a lot of context here and I just choose to not bury a promising young player who's been told one thing; not informed of a change in plan; and doesn't see a future where he's at.
Meh in my opinion If you feel like you don’t have a future on a team you still go do your reps to the best of your abilities. You will get a new home eventually. He’s not the first disgruntled athlete but now he joins a short list of disgruntled athletes that outright refused to play. I bring it up all the time but watch Tom Brady talk about playing time.

Anyways the relationship is probably way beyond repair even with Jones gone. Doubt he’s very popular in the locker room. Probably best for both parties to move on. Which sucks because he reminded me of less strong Jalen Hurts.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Meh in my opinion If you feel like you don’t have a future on a team you still go do your reps to the best of your abilities. You will get a new home eventually. He’s not the first disgruntled athlete but now he joins a short list of disgruntled athletes that outright refused to play. I bring it up all the time but watch Tom Brady talk about playing time.

Anyways the relationship is probably way beyond repair even with Jones gone. Doubt he’s very popular in the locker room. Probably best for both parties to move on. Which sucks because he reminded me of less strong Jalen Hurts.
Lot of supposition that neither of us know. We don't know his practise habits and we don't know how he is perceived by his teammates. Jones buried him behind a series of American QB's; finally had to play him and the team won games; anointed him #1 in October and flopped directions in January. I don't agree with the player refusing the play but this relationship was not good with the team's GM and Coach ... weirdly the same guy just fired for not winning football games.

Ford is a unicorn. Takes a lot of self belief to get to this level. Surely worth a little more respect in the scheme of things.

EDIT: Tom Brady a long shot late draft pick had a coach that believed in him even through early adversity and stuck with him through early struggles. Despite public outcry for the blue chip guy he replaced. That's not the Tre Ford story in Edmonton.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lot of supposition that neither of us know. We don't know his practise habits and we don't know how he is perceived by his teammates. Jones buried him behind a series of American QB's; finally had to play him and the team won games; anointed him #1 in October and flopped directions in January. I don't agree with the player refusing the play but this relationship was not good with the team's GM and Coach ... weirdly the same guy just fired for not winning football games.

Ford is a unicorn. Takes a lot of self belief to get to this level. Surely worth a little more respect in the scheme of things.

EDIT: Tom Brady a long shot late draft pick had a coach that believed in him even through early adversity and stuck with him through early struggles. Despite public outcry for the blue chip guy he replaced. That's not the Tre Ford story in Edmonton.
Who knows what path Brady takes if Drew Bledsoe never gets injured.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ford sounds like a snowflake. Suck it up because this is pro sports and all kinds of stuff happens. Its a game where you have to be mentally tough.

He had a good half season running the ball and passing on the play-action stuff but when defenses started to adjust (after watching game film) he slowed down a bit and his passing skills were alright but not extraordinary.

On the subject of "respect" he was owed nothing by the football team. Since when do you need one player's consent to recruit another? Again, suck it up and simply grab the number one spot.

All that said, maybe Ford didn't really say things or it was taken out of context.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing that would be nice, and logical, would be to throw Ford in for a series here and there to throw off defences and change the look.

The Chris Jones philosophy of "this guy is our starter and is going to play every single snap no matter what" is frankly stupid, especially with the diverse skill sets available at QB. Wasted opportunity for no reason other than he's a stubborn idiot. Hopefully that changes.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’m a bit confused by the tweet in this subject but it’s not a great look ror Jones or Ford. But I also have no idea why our new interim head coach would even come close to confirming this. Not a great choice by him in my opinion.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
One thing that would be nice, and logical, would be to throw Ford in for a series here and there to throw off defences and change the look.

The Chris Jones philosophy of "this guy is our starter and is going to play every single snap no matter what" is frankly stupid, especially with the diverse skill sets available at QB. Wasted opportunity for no reason other than he's a stubborn idiot. Hopefully that changes.
Like I keep saying, Moon and Wilkie managed to sort it out so these guys can too. You can always use both QBs in a game plan. Jone's plans seemed so inflexible and lacked innovation.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I’m a bit confused by the tweet in this subject but it’s not a great look I’m Jones on Ford. But I also have no idea why our new interim head coach would even come close to confirming this. Not a great choice by him in my opinion.
Shaky stuff to be sure. If there was an issue it should have been handled and discussed behind closed doors.

For a team that is struggling to survive what do you need more controversies for? Shut up and play.

Win the crowd and they shall love you for it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Like I keep saying, Moon and Wilkie managed to sort it out so these guys can too. You can always use both QBs in a game plan. Jone's plans seemed so inflexible and lacked innovation.
You've cited this example twice. It was 44 years ago when Jimmy Carter was in the White House (and today in hospice care like Chris Jones's football future). And it was on a well oiled winning machine with great coaching and a clear in-house succession plan.

Chris Jones did not create a winning or stable organization and pulled back on his plan last October and couldn't be bothered to call a top young player who won him games. Fast forward and their team hasn't won and shambolic GM and Coach is out the door. His football philosophy was stuck in the deep past even older than your example.

Good organizations nurture and grow their blue chip talent. GM Jones had opportunity to better manage this situation after Coach Jones last October publicly proclaimed Ford his QB1 going into training camp.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'll side with Ford here, while acknowledging that refusing to play at all isn't a great look on his part.

He was the lone beacon of hope for this franchise and fanbase, secured 5 of the 10 wins the team has ever recorded in four years, and his reward for that was being replaced by a miled-out journeyman who has never won squat. After spending half of last year buried behind winless Corn. There's an old saying that if the coach listens to the fans, he'll soon be sitting with them. In this rare case, the coach would probably still be employed if he listened to them.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You've cited this example twice. It was 44 years ago when Jimmy Carter was in the White House (and today in hospice care like Chris Jones's football future). And it was on a well oiled winning machine with great coaching and a clear in-house succession plan.

Chris Jones did not create a winning or stable organization and pulled back on his plan last October and couldn't be bothered to call a top young player who won him games. Fast forward and their team hasn't won and shambolic GM and Coach is out the door. His football philosophy was stuck in the deep past even older than your example.

Good organizations nurture and grow their blue chip talent. GM Jones had opportunity to better manage this situation after Coach Jones last October publicly proclaimed Ford his QB1 going into training camp.
Not trying to pick a fight, just wanting to better understand…So why would Ford toss his gas on the fire after CJ is gone and double down about not playing?

Being frustrated by the org isn’t an excuse for a young athlete with his limited pro CV yet elevated potential. It’s just a weird situation.

And @ behind enemy lines, I still don’t want him in SK.

Ima all in on the THarris bus. Oh wait…:)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

My reference to something that happened 44 years ago is still very relevant to this day.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad