CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not trying to pick a fight, just wanting to better understand…So why would Ford toss his gas on the fire after CJ is gone and double down about not playing?

Being frustrated by the org isn’t an excuse for a young athlete with his limited pro CV yet elevated potential. It’s just a weird situation.

And @ behind enemy lines, I still don’t want him in SK.

Ima all in on the THarris bus. Oh wait…:)
haha to the last part.

But I'd take a chance on Ford for sure. But with due diligence put in to understand both the person and circumstances around this controversy.

He's been poorly handled and a GM/Coach who prioritized his Jones for American QB's over a young player who delivered after stepping over the bodies of Corn, Doge, etc. Seems like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football. Publicly proclaim good will in October and pull the football away in January. A GM just needs to make a call to discuss football reality and vision of a coherent succession plan. But old school leather helmet guy Jones can't get past himself.

I can't speak for Ford. It's clearly an emotional time with the so called bandaid being ripped away. Maybe with a bit of distance and new/old blood at Coach and GM he will come around to trust. All through his career he's been told to change positions to play. Jones talked about believing in this kid's ability but every action suggested otherwise.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
My reference to something that happened 44 years ago is still very relevant to this day.
It's not a coherent comparison. The Eskimos of 44 years ago were a completely different winning organizations and one that had crazy depth that lent itself to ongoing succession planning with all positional players not just QB. Today's Chris Jones debacle is playing in front of friends and family because of his incompetence and a deep dysfunction within its Board. A one proud franchise is now on the verge of private ownership because of all of these factors.

Ford won football games when finally given a chance. That usually breeds hope and optimism around young, developing talent. Instead the GM and Coach same guy opted to alienate one flicker of optimism to chase an old, external solution which has not produced results.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Not trying to pick a fight, just wanting to better understand…So why would Ford toss his gas on the fire after CJ is gone and double down about not playing?

Being frustrated by the org isn’t an excuse for a young athlete with his limited pro CV yet elevated potential. It’s just a weird situation.

And @ behind enemy lines, I still don’t want him in SK.

Ima all in on the THarris bus. Oh wait…:)
Something is off with Ford. Again, consider the source, but Gregor spoke at length about Ford and his lazy habits. Chronically late for team meetings, indifference at practice and now the latest rumors that even Eddie Steele is confirming. Seems like a real cancer.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
haha to the last part.

But I'd take a chance on Ford for sure. But with due diligence put in to understand both the person and circumstances around this controversy.

He's been poorly handled and a GM/Coach who prioritized his Jones for American QB's over a young player who delivered after stepping over the bodies of Corn, Doge, etc. Seems like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football. Publicly proclaim good will in October and pull the football away in January. A GM just needs to make a call to discuss football reality and vision of a coherent succession plan. But old school leather helmet guy Jones can't get past himself.

I can't speak for Ford. It's clearly an emotional time with the so called bandaid being ripped away. Maybe with a bit of distance and new/old blood at Coach and GM he will come around to trust. All through his career he's been told to change positions to play. Jones talked about believing in this kid's ability but every action suggested otherwise.
All valid. Still don’t understand why he’d poo poo a new start under new mgt given his situation. Oftentimes when new heads are promoted in a org you find that they didn’t necessarily agree with the old thinking. Could be possible with Jarius and Geroy. Seems like a maturity thing for Ford, which can be an Achilles heel for a young QB. Unless he knows something we don’t.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's not a coherent comparison. The Eskimos of 44 years ago were a completely different winning organizations and one that had crazy depth that lent itself to ongoing succession planning with all positional players not just QB. Today's Chris Jones debacle is playing in front of friends and family because of his incompetence and a deep dysfunction within its Board. A one proud franchise is now on the verge of private ownership because of all of these factors.

Ford won football games when finally given a chance. That usually breeds hope and optimism around young, developing talent. Instead the GM and Coach same guy opted to alienate one flicker of optimism to chase an old, external solution which has not produced results.
So, the EE should not have signed another capable quarterback before camp and just handed it to Ford? I think that was actually a coherent plan. The competition for #1 spot was there from the start of camp.

I don't like Jones but I don't think he had any Americanization plans.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
All valid. Still don’t understand why he’d poo poo a new start under new mgt given his situation. Oftentimes when new heads are promoted in a org you find that they didn’t necessarily agree with the old thinking. Could be possible with Jarius and Geroy. Seems like a maturity thing for Ford, which can be an Achilles heel for a young QB. Unless he knows something we don’t.
I'll agree about prospective maturity concerns. He's likely needed a chip to make it this far and the bad side of that is prospectively showing itself. There's so much that's not known about the relationship of the proletariat and the dual positioned power guy controlling his fate.

Just willing to cut some slack to the one not in a power position without all facts available to me. Most definitely leans into my bias for more Canadians in the CFL and notably at skill positions.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sounds that way to me too but as I have cautioned maybe some of this stuff has been overblown.

Like you say--new coach-new philosophy--seize your chance.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So, the EE should not have signed another capable quarterback before camp and just handed it to Ford? I think that was actually a coherent plan. The competition for #1 spot was there from the start of camp.

Don't have your Coach publicly proclaim his game winner #1 for next year's training camp while your GM (same guy) is out looking to change direction in January. Handle the change like a mature organization would by having the GM call your young, emerging talent and explain the organization's plan with the future path. Jones GM poorly handled the situation while bluster Jones Coach alienated the guy who helped win games.

Ford was a last resort after big money bet Corn flamed out and Doge didn't cut it. Ford won games and Jones opted to chase shiny old object. Good organizations don't alienate young, developing blue chip talent. Jones always knew best until he failed at two critical leadership roles as GM and Coach.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Something is off with Ford. Again, consider the source, but Gregor spoke at length about Ford and his lazy habits. Chronically late for team meetings, indifference at practice and now the latest rumors that even Eddie Steele is confirming. Seems like a real cancer.
It seemed so obvious to play Ford. I think everyone thought it was a bit weird that the Elks went out and got a QB. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot more was going behind the scenes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Don't have your Coach publicly proclaim his game winner #1 for next year's training camp while your GM (same guy) is out looking to change direction in January. Handle the change like a mature organization would by having the GM call your young, emerging talent and explain the organization's plan with the future path. Jones GM poorly handled the situation while bluster Jones Coach alienated the guy who helped win games.

Ford was a last resort after big money bet Corn flamed out and Doge didn't cut it. Ford won games and Jones opted to chase shiny old object. Good organizations don't alienate young, developing blue chip talent. Jones always knew best until he failed at two critical leadership roles as GM and Coach.
Sure, Ford did win some games but he was not an established #1 QB in the league. Sounds like he should work on some other skills and keep competing.

Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Sure, Ford did win some games but he was not an established #1 QB in the league. Sounds like he should work on some other skills and keep competing.
Of course. He's a 27 year old, not 35 year old veteran like this league has become. Manage your blue chip asset better and respectfully. As said before I don't condone his decisions but I don't have context for the relationship. Clearly it was broken and Jones has done nothing in either position to build up a good organization.

EDIT: Just to add Ford has bet his career and finite earning potential on playing QB which is a very rare situation. It's a massive bet on himself and if there's not a clear roadmap, belief and trust placed in him that all derails.

Adding his results from last season
"The '21 Hec Crighton Trophy winner completed 153-of-227 passes (67.4 per cent) for 2,069 yards with 12 TDs and just six interceptions while rushing for 622 yards (9.4-yard average) and three touchdowns last season. He led the Elks to all of their regular-season wins after becoming the starter — including a 24-10 decision in Hamilton on Aug. 17 that halted the club-worst 0-9 start, which included two shutout losses."

Seemed like a good foundation to build upon. Especially with some elusive W's that came with having a productive pass/run duel threat QB.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I would completely agree with this, except it was never a competition coming into camp. MBT was declared the starting QB back in the spring. Ford wasn't even given the chance to retain his own job. If this were a case of MBT beating Ford out in pre-season it's a whole different situation, but that's not what happened.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I would completely agree with this, except it was never a competition coming into camp. MBT was declared the starting QB back in the spring. Ford wasn't even given the chance to retain his own job. If this were a case of MBT beating Ford out in pre-season it's a whole different situation, but that's not what happened.
Yup, Jones said there was no competition and that MBT was the starter. Typical Jones, always assuming that paying the most money ensures he will have the best player. If I was Ford I would be pissed as well, saved Jones job last year, and Jones rewarded that without giving him even an opportunity to keep his starters job. His last two big money QB's still haven't won a game in the last two seasons. Ford just biding his time till he can get the hell out of here, don't blame him one bit. Having said that, if he's pouting, he needs to get over it and prove them wrong in any opportunity hes given. And what a brutal first comment by JJ to make, keep that stuff in the locker room. Looks like a Jones disciple at first look.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yup, Jones said there was no competition and that MBT was the starter. Typical Jones, always assuming that paying the most money ensures he will have the best player. If I was Ford I would be pissed as well, saved Jones job last year, and Jones rewarded that without giving him even an opportunity to keep his job. His last two big money QB's still haven't won a game in the last two seasons. Ford just biding his time till he can get the hell out of here, don't blame him one bit. Having said that, if he's pouting, he needs to get over it and prove them wrong in any opportunity hes given. And what a brutal first comment by JJ to make, keep that stuff in the locker room. Looks like a Jones disciple at first look.
Well sure Jones hired all these guys. Very brutal comment to make. Whatever happened to his pal Mcadoo? Does he actually do anything around the club?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly these Ford rumors about not being fully there at practices were out last year. There is a reason Jones went out and got another QB as he could tell a young Ford potentially had some primadona issues.

Somebody needs to tell Ford he's in the CFL and not the NFL. Having these type of issues so young into a career is not good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gregor or most local media for that matter generally won't talk about something like this if there isn't some sort of truth to it.

Generally it's something that comes out after a player has moved on from the team.

The media in Edmonton are fully aware how fragile the franchise is and what impact negative media can bring to the club right now, so it's quite surprising that this has gotten attention.

The worst of it all is the QB position isn't even the issue with this club and the talks should really be what Jed Roberts was talking about the other day on Gregor's show. Worth the listen if you haven't heard. Guy really pin pointed a lot of issues with the club, but also had pointers on what needs to be done. Refreshing to hear, rather than the normal pick apart what is wrong with the club without and real idea what can or needs to be done to fix it.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well sure Jones hired all these guys. Very brutal comment to make. Whatever happened to his pal Mcadoo? Does he actually do anything around the club?
I get what you are saying but there has been mounting pressure from fans and media to play Ford. They chant his name every game. With no explanation to why he isn’t seeing the field it kind of looks like the elks are slapping the fans in the face. That’s the last thing this team needs.

If Ford isn’t playing because he’s refusing to play plus he’s a big issue in the locker room then it’s a different story. Fans at least have an explanation.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does that not make the future ownership of the club even more grey?

Like it was one thing having to deal with City Council on Commonwealth, but now if there is any sort of rumblings of a new owner or new operator of the Stadium it makes it that much more of a question mark going forward.

Not bad from the a tax payers/fan of entertainment standpoint as this signals that Katz probably sees opportunity to have more events at a stadium that pretty much sits empty all the time. However, not being the #1 tenant of the only viable stadium in the City isn't exactly good news for anyone interested in buying the team.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
How? Doesn't the City own Commonwealth and isn't there an attached City rec centre?
Katz is good at pouncing when he sees blood in the water. The City is hemorrhaging money and seems pretty vulnerable at this point, so who knows what he has up his sleeve. Will give him credit for being a good visionary, so will be interesting if this has legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad