CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So what is Dusty saying exactly? Katz has some rights to the land that Commonwealth is built on?
I will admit I’m not a fan of DNielsen. A lot of what he says should be eaten with Lawry’s seasoning salt.

This memes for you @Mr Kot

1721353493457.jpeg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not trying to pick a fight, just wanting to better understand…So why would Ford toss his gas on the fire after CJ is gone and double down about not playing?

Being frustrated by the org isn’t an excuse for a young athlete with his limited pro CV yet elevated potential. It’s just a weird situation.

And @ behind enemy lines, I still don’t want him in SK.

Ima all in on the THarris bus. Oh wait…:)
Perhaps he was told privately by the new regime that not much was going to change with the deployment of the quarterbacks even with CJ gone, and his hopes are dashed. Not sure, but I think this story will play out more and have some more twists and turns. To be honest, it's about the most I've been interested in the team for some time, but it's too bad it has to be negative type of stuff that draws me in.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
I'm all for private taking over a lot of things when it comes to this City. Seems like every city council gets dumber

They just find ways to lose money or waste money on too many things.

And at the end of the day it's not like the City is doing anything with the damn place anyway. Having someone private run it is going to bring more events, festivals, sports teams to the city.

Give it to Katz and hope the deal is that he covers all the overhead costs associated with the Stadium and call it a day. Although something tells me he'll probably convince them to keep covering the overhead costs.
Has Katz brought more events and teams to Roger's Place than Rexall had?

Reactions: MoontoScott

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Has Katz brought more events and teams to Roger's Place than Rexall had?
Guessing not, as Rexall was a very busy arena. It was just unfortunately getting old. I have my issues with Katz, but at the end of the day his overall vision for the Ice District was very good, and has really become a great gathering place for hockey fans, and was really given rave reviews by pretty much all visiting media during our playoff run. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I think having the area lessened the looting and other crap that goes on other games, as we seemed to have very little of it this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
It’s definitely crazy but with a billionaire owner and some serious funding from the city / province it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.

There is big time money to be made here with sports if done properly.

I also expect Alberta to be booming again in 2 years. If all goes how it should. :naughty:
Alberta is already booming. Busier than ever in the housing industry.

Reactions: bellagiobob

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Katz is good at pouncing when he sees blood in the water. The City is hemorrhaging money and seems pretty vulnerable at this point, so who knows what he has up his sleeve. Will give him credit for being a good visionary, so will be interesting if this has legs.
I can’t see Katz being interested in any other scenario than he takes over operations of the stadium but the city still pays for everything. Wasn’t there a report after the arena deal that he was interested in turning Remax field (may have still been Telus field at the time) into an outdoor skating rink in winter? He’d operate it but the city had to build it first. “Devil is in the details” with Katz and they’re never favourable to the city.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I can’t see Katz being interested in any other scenario than he takes over operations of the stadium but the city still pays for everything. Wasn’t there a report after the arena deal that he was interested in turning Remax field (may have still been Telus field at the time) into an outdoor skating rink in winter? He’d operate it but the city had to build it first. “Devil is in the details” with Katz and they’re never favourable to the city.
How is anything about the ice district unfavorable to the city?

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yikes, not a good start. Didn’t help that they missed an offensive pass interference but the defence still looked noticeably confused on that drive.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Let the City keep the white elephant and run it then.
If we’re still going to be paying for its upkeep then they may as well. If Katz actually wants to buy it and incur all the costs that go with it then by all means he should do it. He wasn’t willing to do that for a brand new arena so I doubt that’s what he’s aiming for here either. I don’t think we should be paying for him to make money off another building.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad