Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Primeau wouldn't be on the NHL roster. His cap hit wouldn't count on the cap even in the off-season.
True. It's probably term for that contract.
I've been his biggest critic but he did look like a different goalie in the playoffs. I'll give him that. I hope it means that he's turned the corner. Give him a 3 year deal maybe and if he doesn't work out, he'll just keep playing in the ahl. Hopefully Monty works out and they should know by then what they have in Dobes and Dichow. Or just play the free agent market for a veteran starter. Bottom line is, they don't need another Price situation where they have a high paid goalie with no team in front of him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
True. It's probably term for that contract.
I've been his biggest critic but he did look like a different goalie in the playoffs. I'll give him that. I hope it means that he's turned the corner. Give him a 3 year deal maybe and if he doesn't work out, he'll just keep playing in the ahl. Hopefully Monty works out and they should know by then what they have in Dobes and Dichow. Or just play the free agent market for a veteran starter. Bottom line is, they don't need another Price situation where they have a high paid goalie with no team in front of him.
Having a high paid goalie is no big deal..................having the wrong GM is.
There are good teams with high paid goalies.....FLA and TB are just two examples.
The new guys will build a balanced team on a go forward, no matter how much money the goalie makes.
Price's deal was never ever in the way........they even left money on the table under the cap for a few years.....Bergevin had zero intellect on how to use, or in some cases, how not to use the cap.

Reactions: Runner77

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Having a high paid goalie is no big deal..................having the wrong GM is.
There are good teams with high paid goalies.....FLA and TB are just two examples.
The new guys will build a balanced team on a go forward, no matter how much money the goalie makes.
Price's deal was never ever in the way........they even left money on the table under the cap for a few years.....Bergevin had zero intellect on how to use, or in some cases, how not to use the cap.
You're right, but having the high paid goalie peaking with the right team in front of him was the problem. Fla and TB didn't have that issue. I'm not even sure it was money, it was drafting and development. Let's face it, Montreal isn't usually going to get big name free agents. They have to be drafted and developed, and as much as some folks dislike the tank, you're just not getting superstars if you consistently draft middle of the pack, OR if you draft high in a weak draft.

Reactions: BLONG7

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
"There is no no1 goalie in the pipeline" comment
No contract on Sept 6th..

I see HuGo have taken the tough love approach with our boy Prime.

Bold strategy, let's see if that pays off.

duance-dance.gif

Reactions: zeeto and Runner77

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
We should release him to free up a contract spot. He has no future in the NHL..

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
You sound very sure..........did you see him last season in the playoffs?
I did. Watched most games. I know he played solid overall, but many goals just seem to squeak by him, his rebound control is terrible, and he seems to allow the "easy" goals. I just don't think he has the "IT" factor.

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
I did. Watched most games. I know he played solid overall, but many goals just seem to squeak by him, his rebound control is terrible, and he seems to allow the "easy" goals. I just don't think he has the "IT" factor.
You might be right. That said, it will be tough for us Habs fans to appreciate a goalie after watching a Carey Price for more than a decade.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The heir apparent, is not that eh.................moving on from Price is not going to be easy folks.
Trust in HuGo.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What's his trade value?

Philly could probably use another backup goalie option, and there's the family connection.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Won’t it be a 2 way contract?

That only means he will be paid one salary in the NHL and another in the AHL. But his cap hit won't count on the Habs' cap because he will be in Laval. So you don't have to worry about not having cap space to sign Primeau.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think you realize how bad the 2nd and 3rd string goalies are in the NHL.

Primeau is trending to at least be a back-up goalie.
Even the starter are worse than they were a decade ago. There is no Price, there is no Hank and Im not even sure theres a Rinne or a Quick.

The talent level of the NHL is crazy dilluted right now but the top level is also down from the 00s and 10s. The forward position is healthy though, were going to have high scoring years like the 80s 2.0.

Jul 6, 2016
That only means he will be paid one salary in the NHL and another in the AHL. But his cap hit won't count on the Habs' cap because he will be in Laval. So you don't have to worry about not having cap space to sign Primeau.
Primeau will have to go thru waivers.... And habs would lost him for sure. The guy had tremendous AHL Playoffs, and I hope we gonna see him for 10 to 15 games at NHL level this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Primeau will have to go thru waivers.... And habs would lost him for sure. The guy had tremendous AHL Playoffs, and I hope we gonna see him for 10 to 15 games at NHL level this year.

He is still waiver exempt.

He has 1 year or 56 NHL games before having to go through waivers.

So if it's a 2-year deal, expect Year 1 to be 2-way and year 2 to be 1-way.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Even the starter are worse than they were a decade ago. There is no Price, there is no Hank and Im not even sure theres a Rinne or a Quick.

The talent level of the NHL is crazy dilluted right now but the top level is also down from the 00s and 10s. The forward position is healthy though, were going to have high scoring years like the 80s 2.0.

You are REALLY underselling Shesterkin and Vasilevsky.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
"There is no no1 goalie in the pipeline" comment
No contract on Sept 6th..

I see HuGo have taken the tough love approach with our boy Prime.

Bold strategy, let's see if that pays off.

duance-dance.gif

Kent obviously saw my post and signed Primeau pronto:sarcasm:

1 way deal, noice.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad