Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Is he going into bust territory? 23 years old and his numbers in the AHL aren’t what I would expecting.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
7th round pick. Can he even be called a bust?
No but, back in the day, I had and maybe other posters had higher expections in his case. He played well at wjc and for northeastern . Is it the time to lower our expections?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Cayden Primeau to be called up. No official announcement yet but it would have to do with the Habs wanting to evaluate him. Anthony Marcotte mentions that Hughes had promised Primeau an audition with the Habs this season.

Primeau in Philly while the Rocket is headed to Manitoba. Kevin Poulin is healthy, so he’d take Primeau’s place.

Hence, a pending announcement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Cayden Primeau to be called up. No official announcement yet but it would have to do with the Habs wanting to evaluate him. Anthony Marcotte mentions that Hughes had promised Primeau an audition with the Habs this season.

Primeau in Philly while the Rocket is headed to Manitoba. Kevin Poulin is healthy, so he’d take Primeau’s place.

Hence, a pending announcement.

Happy for him, let's see where he's at
But also..
I hate to say it but
Sigh, good for the tank. Lol

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Good call before moving one of ourb goalies so Not a bad idea to find out what we have in him. His last stints have been far from impressive thus far. At least the circumstances of this call up should help things a bit compared to previous call ups where it always feels like the Habs are on a losing streak. Just blows for Laval and their PO chances.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good call before moving one of ourb goalies so Not a bad idea to find out what we have in him. His last stints have been far from impressive thus far. At least the circumstances of this call up should help things a bit compared to previous call ups where it always feels like the Habs are on a losing streak. Just blows for Laval and their PO chances.
It needed to happen since he no longer will be waiver exempt next season.

However, how much of an audition will they give him?

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He wilts under the smallest amount of pressure. Expect that to happen tomorrow. He is not an NHL goalie.
He’s had some good games and did great in last season’s AHL playoffs.

This one’s being played at his home city. Maybe he’ll show something.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He’s had some good games and did great in last season’s AHL playoffs.

This one’s being played at his home city. Maybe he’ll show something.
Yeah he looked like he had turned the corner during the playoffs for sure. Then he went back to being Cayden Primeau.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Primeau at 18 was in the NCAA.
Dobes didn't start in the NCAA until he was 19.

But here's their numbers,

Primeau - 44-18-6 2.00 .930 8 SO's
Dobes - 42-28-5 2.29 .926 6 SO's

Reactions: tnq

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Okay so I was looking at team's organizational chart since it is likely at this point that Primeau gets waived with Allen still around. Let's see if this is a smart gamble or if it blows up on the management's face since they are hell bent on asset management. Disclaimer: I'm not a goalie expert or know every single prospect out there so I might be overlooking some names in X team's pipeline.

ANA: Dostal + Gibson (Clang in pipeline)
ARI: Ingram + Vejmelka
BOS: Swayman + Ullmark (Bussi in pipeline)
BUF: Levi, UPL + Comrie
CGY: Vladar + Markstorm + Wolf
CAR: Andersen + Raanta + Kochetkov
CHI: Mrazek + Soderblom (Commesso in pipeline)
CBJ: Merzlikins + Tarasov (no real goalie for depth in case of injuries)
DAL: Oettinger + Wedgewood (Murray in pipeline)
DET: Husso + Reimer (Cossa in pipeline + Lyon)
EDM: Skinner + Campbell (Rodrigue in pipeline + Pickard as depth)
FLA: Bobrovsky + Stolarz (Knight in player program)
LA: Talbot + Copley + Rittich (Portillo in pipeline)
MIN: Fleury + Gustavsson (Wallstedt in pipeline)
NSH: Saros + Lankinen (Askarov in pipeline)
NJD: Vanecek + Schmid (Daws in pipeline)
NYI: Varlamov + Sorokin (Lennox? in pipeline)
NYR: Shesterkin + Quick (Garand in pipeline, Domingue as depth)
OTT: Korpisalo + Forsberg (who's hurt; Sogard in pipeline)
PHI: Petersen + Hart (Sandstrom/Ersson in pipeline)
PIT: Jarry + Nedelkovic + DeSmith (Hellberg as depth too)
SJ: Blackwood + Kahkonen (Makiniemi in pipeline)
SEA: Grubauer + Daccord + Driedger
STL: Binnington + Hofer (might want to send Hofer down; unsure if needs to be waived)
TB: Vasilevkiy + Johansson (Ainefelt in pipeline)
TOR: Murray + Samsonov + Woll
VAN: Demko + Martin
VGK: Thompson + Hill (Plus Lehner?)
WSH: Lindgren + Kuemper
WPG: Brossoit + Hellebuyck (Dellia as depth)

Okay so in total it would come down to 9 teams who may be interested. Out of those teams, the only ones where I could somewhat see them claim Primeau based on recent moves (doesn't make sense to give up on a player you just signed like SJ with Blackwood), expectations for the team and whether they have guys in pipeline who could benefit from experience. The teams that make the most sense are Vancouver and Chicago. I imagine TB will grab somebody on waivers who is more proven than Primeau. I imagine teams like OTT and CBJ are too in love with their guys to give a shot to Primeau.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Okay so in total it would come down to 9 teams who may be interested. Out of those teams, the only ones where I could somewhat see them claim Primeau based on recent moves (doesn't make sense to give up on a player you just signed like SJ with Blackwood), expectations for the team and whether they have guys in pipeline who could benefit from experience. The teams that make the most sense are Vancouver and Chicago. I imagine TB will grab somebody on waivers who is more proven than Primeau. I imagine teams like OTT and CBJ are too in love with their guys to give a shot to Primeau.

I think the main reason I see a team claim Primeau is because one of their goalies gets hurt at camp or during the off-season. Similar to the Canadiens claiming Montembeault off waivers last year, they knew Price was injured and was not going to play. And all they had was Allen. And at camp, the Canadiens probably evaluated that Primeau needed to play games in Laval.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think the main reason I see a team claim Primeau is because one of their goalies gets hurt at camp or during the off-season. Similar to the Canadiens claiming Montembeault off waivers last year, they knew Price was injured and was not going to play. And all they had was Allen. And at camp, the Canadiens probably evaluated that Primeau needed to play games in Laval.
I was looking at how we could maximize development for the young goalies while using Allen to support them, while not exposing Primeau to waivers right out of camp, if he does ok there.

Assume Allen is waived and gets through. He becomes Dobes' mentor. Dobes plays 3 games out of 5 and Allen 2 games.

In Montreal, Monty plays 3 games out of 5, Primeau two games out of 5, and if Primeau is shaky two games in a row, Allen comes up for 1 game and is sent back down, just to keep Monty from being overworked. However, if Primeau does well in the majority of his games, he gets that second game in each 5-game group, and we keep Allen in Laval and maybe he and Dobes go 2.5 each.

If Monty can't handle the starter job, and Primeau can't handle half the games, then Allen is brought back up and Primeau waived, and we take a chance on losing Primeau only after we tried keeping him first.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I was looking at how we could maximize development for the young goalies while using Allen to support them, while not exposing Primeau to waivers right out of camp, if he does ok there.

Assume Allen is waived and gets through. He becomes Dobes' mentor. Dobes plays 3 games out of 5 and Allen 2 games.

In Montreal, Monty plays 3 games out of 5, Primeau two games out of 5, and if Primeau is shaky two games in a row, Allen comes up for 1 game and is sent back down, just to keep Monty from being overworked. However, if Primeau does well in the majority of his games, he gets that second game in each 5-game group, and we keep Allen in Laval and maybe he and Dobes go 2.5 each.

If Monty can't handle the starter job, and Primeau can't handle half the games, then Allen is brought back up and Primeau waived, and we take a chance on losing Primeau only after we tried keeping him first.
Allen is too respected to ever be waived. Primeau hasn't proven he has NHL pedigree. Maybe he is a late bloomer....I have serious doubts.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Allen is to respected to ever be waived. Primeau hasn't proven he has NHL pedigree. Maybe he is a late bloomer....I have serious doubts.
I remember when we protected an aging Gump Worsley over an inconsistent Tony Esposito. Worsley played 6 more games for us.

Of course, Allen is much younger than the Gumper was then. Seriously, though, IMO Allen does not provide anything better than NHL backup goaltending. If Primeau has a good camp and forces Hughes' hand, I guess we could go 13-7-3 for a while and give Primeau some NHL games, while waiting for a trade opportunity for either Allen or Primeau.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I don't see Primeau being a waiver pick, and he will be waived at the end of the camp with a bunch of other goalies of his stature being waived at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad