Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
oh okay, cause he was suppose to be the next Patrick Roy according to some lol

There was ground to be optimistic, especially since he was a 7th round pick and had some early success, but I honestly didn't read anybody comparing him to Roy, maybe I missed that.

Whole 2017 draft I was optimistic, but I also was about the 2012 one, so yeah.

And well, while I don't expect anything anymore from Primeau, who knows, he may still figure it out...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ya with all the goalies drafted it's safe to assume they are moving on from him.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but the goalies they drafted are years away from being a "threat" to Primeau at this moment. Primeau's closer to a "make-it-or-break-it" spot, but he's not a lost clause yet.

But I wouldn't categorize them drafting 3 goalies as them moving on from him. They didn't sign him to a 3-year deal last year if they were ready to move on from him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Plenty of goalies put it together at 26-28 years old. He could very well get claimed on waivers and fill a backup role somewhere else and develop into a starter in two or three years. That's basically what we did with Monty.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Plenty of goalies put it together at 26-28 years old. He could very well get claimed on waivers and fill a backup role somewhere else and develop into a starter in two or three years. That's basically what we did with Monty.
And they often do it in another team, like you said, where expectations are lower.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Primeau can very well carve out an NHL career but highly doubtful he will ever be able to handle playing in a pressure packed city like Montreal. Waive him and move on.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Even if Primeau, as a G, were to carve a niche in the NHL and perform well elsewhere, we shouldn't hold it against Montreal to have waived him. Right now, things aren't convincing enough that Primeau can carve out a role in Montreal and there are other Gs with as much upside in the system..

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I would prefer if Primeau wasn't waived. My preference was to keep 3 goalies in the NHL, including Primeau. Now with De Smith also it is crowded. I would probably prefer to waive De Smith, who imo wouldn't be picked up because of his salary) than Primeau (who would get picked up imo).

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I would prefer if Primeau wasn't waived. My preference was to keep 3 goalies in the NHL, including Primeau. Now with De Smith also it is crowded. I would probably prefer to waive De Smith, who imo wouldn't be picked up because of his salary) than Primeau (who would get picked up imo).

My Preference is to trade Allen, waive DeSmith and go with Monty and Primeau.

Reactions: Slafkofield

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I can't see them keeping 3 goalies, that's almost never done. I think DeSmith could get picked off waivers, but I assume he's traded at some point.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I don't see much potential in Primeau being a future # 1 goalie I think signing him to a 3 year contract was a mistake albeit a small one.That being said if they had any confidence in him now being their future goalie i don't think they would be drafting so many goalies this year.And yes i know the potential drafted goalies are probably years away.I would keep Monty and DeSmith and get rid of the rest

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see much potential in Primeau being a future # 1 goalie I think signing him to a 3 year contract was a mistake albeit a small one.That being said if they had any confidence in him now being their future goalie i don't think they would be drafting so many goalies this year.And yes i know the potential drafted goalies are probably years away.I would keep Monty and DeSmith and get rid of the rest

what could be the mistake in signing Primeau?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Writing off Primeau after just turning 24 just does not make sense. He is still very young for a goaltender and has the talent to succeed.

Maybe he blossoms and maybe he doesn't but this is the reason that you don't spend high picks on goaltenders (I know he was a 7th rounder). By the time that the vast majority of goaltenders are ready to play a significant role in the NHL they are past 25 years of age and often closer to 27. Making grand declarations about a goaltender's demise after their 23 year old season after being a consensus top goalie prospect is to have no comprehension of how development typically plays out at this position.

Hughes should try and do his best to keep him around which means dealing/waiving Allen and DeSmith as neither is a part of the future here.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Writing off Primeau after just turning 24 just does not make sense. He is still very young for a goaltender and has the talent to succeed.

Maybe he blossoms and maybe he doesn't but this is the reason that you don't spend high picks on goaltenders (I know he was a 7th rounder). By the time that the vast majority of goaltenders are ready to play a significant role in the NHL they are past 25 years of age and often closer to 27. Making grand declarations about a goaltender's demise after their 23 year old season after being a consensus top goalie prospect is to have no comprehension of how development typically plays out at this position.

Hughes should try and do his best to keep him around which means dealing/waiving Allen and DeSmith as neither is a part of the future here.
Allen is not starter material. I'd waive Allen and have him mentor Dobes. But if Monty plays 45-50 games, Allen should be decent for 32-37 so if there is a return on the table for deSmith, they can take it. Keep Primeau on the roster if he is at least as good as Allen in camp.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Allen is not starter material. I'd waive Allen and have him mentor Dobes. But if Monty plays 45-50 games, Allen should be decent for 32-37 so if there is a return on the table for deSmith, they can take it. Keep Primeau on the roster if he is at least as good as Allen in camp.

I don't see a scenario where Allen is waived and ends up in Laval. DeSmith is waived before Allen imo.

I could see Hughes trading Allen for a position player with a similar cap hit that he might bury in Laval though. Perhaps a player who is more deserving of a demotion so that Hughes doesn't look bad.

Hughes has demonstrated plenty of ingenuity thus far so my guesses are likely just blind dart tosses lol.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There was ground to be optimistic, especially since he was a 7th round pick and had some early success, but I honestly didn't read anybody comparing him to Roy, maybe I missed that.

Whole 2017 draft I was optimistic, but I also was about the 2012 one, so yeah.

And well, while I don't expect anything anymore from Primeau, who knows, he may still figure it out...
He's been pretty solid in Laval the past two years. There has been improvement. How old was Montembeault when he started to make saves in the NHL?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not even a small one. His contract is totally buriable, and even a buyout after this season would cost only $150k or so on the cap for two years, though I would not do that personally.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why have a training camp if a younger player like Primeau is not allowed to beat out a vet?

Camp is meaningless for the most part and Hughes won't base any decisions on exhibition games. There is just no way for a goaltender to prove anything in camp as all goalies are streaky and a miniscule stretch of strong play against weak competition shouldn't change anyone's mind. I do know what you are getting at though and I don't entirely disagree.

I am all for a Monty/Primeau tandem in the NHL and a DeSmith/Dobes tandem in Laval. It will just be really difficult to unload Allen given his recent numbers and the fact that he has another year on his contract while being an older, declining player. If I have learned anything though, it is to never say never with Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad