Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Better start giving him a serious look then, he can't sit for weeks on end.

He’s already been sitting for a month now. His last game was on September 29th, which is pretty crazy.

Won’t make any excuses for him before his first game, but goaltenders need confidence and it’s hard to build it up sitting in the stands.

Reactions: morhilane and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He’s already been sitting for a month now. His last game was on September 29th, which is pretty crazy.

Won’t make any excuses for him before his first game, but goaltenders need confidence and it’s hard to build it up sitting in the stands.
Imagine a cold goalie playing against Buffalo or Jersey next week?

Reactions: MadMslm

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
If not of Primeau in this game, Vegas would have scored 15 goals. Don't look at the stats, it's totally misleading. Habs needs to keep him. Vegas dominated the Habs in all aspects of the game, and only his performance made it a close game on the scoreboard.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If not of Primeau in this game, Vegas would have scored 15 goals. Don't look at the stats, it's totally misleading. Habs needs to keep him. Vegas dominated the Habs in all aspects of the game, and only his performance made it a close game on the scoreboard.
still he cant show he can be relied on to let fewer than 4 to 3 goals per game

• Haha
Reactions: Habs4Life

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
What are you talking about? MSL sent him against the Stanley Cup champions. Look at the number of high quality scoring chances Vegas got in this game. He stole William Karlsson alone of at least five goals.

still he cant show he can be relied on to let fewer than 4 to 3 goals per game

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Tough spot for primeau. It's not easy working on spot duty like this. Actually, it's not easy on any of the three goalies at this point, but especially Cayden.

I don't recall a 3 goalie carousel happening before, but the Habs are going have to pick their two guys sooner than later and live with the conequenses.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What are you talking about? MSL sent him against the Stanley Cup champions. Look at the number of high quality scoring chances Vegas got in this game. He stole William Karlsson alone of at least five goals.
I meant throughout his career

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Sure, the few games he had were behind a very weak team that was in disarray most of the time. Primeau got a lot of things against him up to now in his pro career, including covid. He played only in 123 regular season games in our years and 16 playoffs games, 14 of them in 2021-22 where he was very good with 2.17 GAA, and AV% of 0.936. Habs cannot trade him, there is nobody else in the pipeline that is close to the NHL, At best Dobes or any other goalie prospect is three years away from the NHL. habs invested too much in Primeau to lose him on waivers or get a 4th round pick at best for him.

I meant throughout his career

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Sure, the few games he had were behind a very weak team that was in disarray most of the time. Primeau got a lot of things against him up to now in his pro career, including covid. He played only in 123 regular season games in our years and 16 playoffs games, 14 of them in 2021-22 where he was very good with 2.17 GAA, and AV% of 0.936. Habs cannot trade him, there is nobody else in the pipeline that is close to the NHL, At best Dobes or any other goalie prospect is three years away from the NHL. habs invested too much in Primeau to lose him on waivers or get a 4th round pick at best for him.
I never advocated to get rid of him. Just I doubt he will be part of the long term future. We need an elite starter and a backup. I'd imagine Fowler to have better chances of being the backup than primeau

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Primeau was safe and sound during his games this year even tho many goals got in. Prime scoring chances are coming from everywhere but he always looks calm and technically on point. Time to trade Allen and stop this 3 goalie non sense, Primeau is growing on me and we can't loose him on waivers.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I hear some analysts say his good performances may make him more attractive for the trade market. I hope that is not what happens. This team is better for now and the future with a Montambeault/Primeau tandem than a Montambeault/Allen one.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Can someone explain to me how a young goalie like Primeau is going to develop playing about 16 games over an entire season. Practicing ain't playing. This 3 goalie thing has to end.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Can someone explain to me how a young goalie like Primeau is going to develop playing about 16 games over an entire season. Practicing ain't playing. This 3 goalie thing has to end.
He's seeing x2 the amount of pucks than normal in those 16 games thought... :sarcasm:

It's not super great, but I get the impression he's getting a lots of dev time with the coach to fix technical issues (glove hand, positioning, tracking, etc). He improved since the season started.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Allen is not part of the future. Chances should be 0.

Primeau may not be part of the future, but the chances of him being part of the future are greater than 0.

MSL is the coach and wants to win.

MSL trusts Allen over Primeau.

MSL is not playing Primeau much because he is playing Allen

Allen is not going to get much in a trade. Waiting to trade him might get you " not much" plus a can of beans.

Hughes should just freaking trade Allen. Enough already.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Primeau is where Montembeault was prior to being put on waivers by Florida, except that he is one year younger that Montembeault was at the time. Primeau showed enough in 8 games this year to convince the team to give him the backup job. And if he ends up playing around 20 games this year, it's enough to allow him to improve his game. He already showed what he could do in the AHL in 2021-22 when he was instrumental in their playoffs run.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Allen is not part of the future. Chances should be 0.

Primeau may not be part of the future, but the chances of him being part of the future are greater than 0.

MSL is the coach and wants to win.

MSL trusts Allen over Primeau.

MSL is not playing Primeau much because he is playing Allen

Allen is not going to get much in a trade. Waiting to trade him might get you " not much" plus a can of beans.

Hughes should just freaking trade Allen. Enough already.
What GM would say- "hey, Allen is 1-9 in his last 10 starts, he is the answer to our goaltending woes"....

Allen will have no GM wanting him. Hughes is in a spot with Jake Allen.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
What GM would say- "hey, Allen is 1-9 in his last 10 starts, he is the answer to our goaltending woes"....

Esp when you look at Toronto(I think) waiver their goalie and he can't make the AHL lineup.

Primeau should be about 35 for how long I have been hearing about him. He is OK. A relief guy, I would give him 35 games max a year unless he shows he is a lot better than we think. Only found out today Monty is 27....I thought he was 24 and primeau 23 or 22. But now by their ages we would be shipping them off to the veterans farm to break an ankle and get put down or sent out as glue. Like we should have done with gally and gave Bergie an actual reason to cry

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I wouldn't mind losing Allen to waivers, or having him play in Laval. I'd like to see Primeau get more starts. We know what Allen is. Let's get a better picture of Primeau.

Reactions: yianik

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wouldn't mind losing Allen to waivers, or having him play in Laval. I'd like to see Primeau get more starts. We know what Allen is. Let's get a better picture of Primeau.
Laval just signed a very good AHL goalie that is playing very well. We need to find a way to move Allen, not send him to Laval.

Reactions: 26Mats

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Just read an article with those ugly numbers you set out. Hadn't realized how bad he has been. Hughes may have outsmarted himself this time. Many were calling for Allen to be moved a long time ago. Looks like Hughes was holding out for a 7th to be added ?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad