Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The gods of hockey have turned against us for decades, but the god of goalies has never abandoned us.

Primeau is a great prospect, arguably our most important due to his position.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Of all our prospects, Primeau is the one we need to succeed the most......If he becomes an elite goalie this is huge for the rebuild.....problem is, he is atleast 2 or 3 years away. Ive got the patience....hopefully Hugo and Gorton do as well!

Reactions: BenchBrawl

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The gods of hockey have turned against us for decades, but the god of goalies has never abandoned us.

Primeau is a great prospect, arguably our most important due to his position.

I don't think he's the most important, I think if Primeau could turn into a decent NHL starter, as long as we had the right forwards and hit on several of these D prospects where at least one surprises and turns into a Markov level type and another that is say around a Petry level or a Weber level, then the position doesn't become so important like it's been for us for so many years with Price.

I have Dobes right there with Primeau though in terms of ranking our goalie prospects. I haven't seen enough of Dichow to really say what we have in him but I've seen a ton of Dobes and I am very excited to see what he can do in time.

Of all our prospects, Primeau is the one we need to succeed the most......If he becomes an elite goalie this is huge for the rebuild.....problem is, he is atleast 2 or 3 years away. Ive got the patience....hopefully Hugo and Gorton do as well!

Goalies are so hard to predict, it could be a year, 2, 5 or never. For now we just need to see him build off this and see what that means next season and go from there.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think he's the most important, I think if Primeau could turn into a decent NHL starter, as long as we had the right forwards and hit on several of these D prospects where at least one surprises and turns into a Markov level type and another that is say around a Petry level or a Weber level, then the position doesn't become so important like it's been for us for so many years with Price.

I have Dobes right there with Primeau though in terms of ranking our goalie prospects. I haven't seen enough of Dichow to really say what we have in him but I've seen a ton of Dobes and I am very excited to see what he can do in time.

Goalies are so hard to predict, it could be a year, 2, 5 or never. For now we just need to see him build off this and see what that means next season and go from there.

Oh yeah I agree that we don't need Primeau to become a Price-level goalie, just that we need him (or Dobes, who I don't know as much) to become a decent starter who can step up in the playoffs. What Primeau is doing in the AHL playoffs is reassuring about his psychological abilities to do so.

Reactions: montreal

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Who plays with him in Laval this year? we have Price/Allen/Montembault on NHL contracts and Primeau who will be in Laval. If price good to go then I assume plan is to get Monty through waivers- his 2 year guaranteed contract should help that happen. But if he doesn't clear or if Price can't go who is no 2 in Laval? does the fact that we only have 4 NHL/AHL goalies including Price tell us that HUGO expects Price to be able to play? If we acquire/sign a AHL goalie between now and Camp is that an indication that price can't go

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who plays with him in Laval this year? we have Price/Allen/Montembault on NHL contracts and Primeau who will be in Laval. If price good to go then I assume plan is to get Monty through waivers- his 2 year guaranteed contract should help that happen. But if he doesn't clear or if Price can't go who is no 2 in Laval? does the fact that we only have 4 NHL/AHL goalies including Price tell us that HUGO expects Price to be able to play? If we acquire/sign a AHL goalie between now and Camp is that an indication that price can't go

Kevin Poulin.

Reactions: CDN24

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Price
Allen
Montembeault

Primeau
Poulin

Desrosiers
Vrbetic

We don't need more goalies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1 more year of AHL waiver free egilibity for Primeau.

A big advantage of US college hockey vs Canadian jr. For exemple the Canucks can't send DiPietro down and are looking to trade him. Both drafted the same year, played for us/canada at the wjc.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If he's 2-3 years away at 23, he's not that. Primeau needs to show some stuff this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks decent right now, another year in the AHL and he should be ready

I think he needs to face more NHL shots. You can clearly see him doing very well in the AHL but in NHL games with a weak team D, he's exposed big time.

So yeah, I do agree one more AHL season but until he faces more NHL quality shots, he might need a year or two in the NHL as well (in a sheltered back-up role).

How much more can he learn from the AHL? I'm not sure about that one cause from what I see, he needs to face more NHL quality shots and get use to that level of the game. A better team D in the NHL would help though. For now, there is no point of rushing him to face those shots so lets see how he develops in that area over the next year or two.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he's 2-3 years away at 23, he's not that. Primeau needs to show some stuff this year.

Lets face it, the chances he is a legit starter or top 15 quality in the NHL is very slim. At the age of 23, it's par for the course so 2-3 more years away is not a big reach cause so many follow that path.

Personally, I see him struggling in the higher quality NHL shots area when he plays with the Habs. Of course he is getting more exposed cause our team D is not great but that's the next area of development he needs to improve on IMO. One more year in the AHL is more about confidence and momentum. But one way or another, he has to get more experience facing NHL quality shots. That will come

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Especially after the playoffs he had in Laval last year. If he can carry that over to this season and do it consistently, then Primeau will show he can take the next step to the NHL and we go from there.

Reactions: viceroy and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad