Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What do we do with him? Do we extend him? Do we trade him while his value is high? I think he is a good winger on either the 2nd or 3rd line but players like Savoie and Kulich are waiting for their chance, similar to Quinn and JJP last year. This will be a very interesting off season for Casey.
You wait until those players actually make Casey expendable by proving it in the league. Until then, he has a spot on this roster.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
How does he compare in terms of being a core piece to say, someone like Krebs? Even Peterka?

Most of us assume Mitts is usually the expendable guy, but I actually have no idea how Adams views it. Mitts is only 24. He is getting better every year and just put up 50+ points from the 3C role.
I think most of us feel Olofsson is the expendable guy right now and there is no question.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
It sounds like the rink rat has also become a gym rat in how his teammates talk about him. He's shown perseverance and grown over the course of this season. He's almost doubled his career assist numbers this year, despite being third-wheeled so often from the more established scoring lines. There is utility there, acknowledged hard work, and his being one of the glue guys in an unusually tight room.
Think he can finally do a pull up?

Reactions: Bendium

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
How does he compare in terms of being a core piece to say, someone like Krebs? Even Peterka?

Most of us assume Mitts is usually the expendable guy, but I actually have no idea how Adams views it. Mitts is only 24. He is getting better every year and just put up 50+ points from the 3C role.
I'm thinking it comes down to how other players progress, and the cost to retain him. Krebs for example is a few years younger, but you can see he has similar vision, a willingness to battle for pucks, will forecheck and backcheck, and can play wing or center just like Casey. Casey probably has a better shot right now but Krebs could still improve there. He needs to get stronger to win more of those puck battles also.

If you end up where you need to pay Casey 5 million per, or Krebs 2.5 million per on a bridge then Krebs obviously provides you more cap flexibility being a lower cost to retain. That's if Krebs continues to improve in the trajectory we've seen from him this season.

Right now however, Casey is an important piece of the team, and should be next season also. After that who knows until the season is played.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He could very well return to C next season with Greenway and Savoie. That could really turn out well. The normal top six plus..

Greenway - Mittelstadt - Savoie
Girgensons - Krebs - Rousek/Jost

Sprinkle in injury call-ups with Kulich.

Reactions: Dingo44

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He could very well return to C next season with Greenway and Savoie. That could really turn out well. The normal top six plus..

Greenway - Mittelstadt - Savoie
Girgensons - Krebs - Rousek/Jost

Sprinkle in injury call-ups with Kulich.
Mittelstadt - Krebs - Savoie
Girgensons - Jost - Greenway

Bottom 6 needs some work.

Reactions: Bendium

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
KA to Mitts

1680980834619.png

Reactions: Dingo44

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He has 53 points. Reinhart surpassed that total one time in 6 years here while playing with Jack on the top line. One year was very shortened and he would have gotten there. One was a little shortened and he would have too. But availability is a thing that counts…ask Mittelstadt who struggled with injuries over and over

Keep Olofsson away forever

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
He has 53 points. Reinhart surpassed that total one time in 6 years here while playing with Jack on the top line.

Reinhart was always at or near the very top of the team with offensive zone starts, got prime PP opportunities and played with Jack Eichel. And Reinhart passed that point total one time. Easily the most overrated player by Sabres fans over the last decade.

/ducks

Reactions: Slangston

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He has 53 points. Reinhart surpassed that total one time in 6 years here while playing with Jack on the top line. One year was very shortened and he would have gotten there. One was a little shortened and he would have too. But availability is a thing that counts…ask Mittelstadt who struggled with injuries over and over

Mitts has spent one season dealing with injuries.

Why do you haters of him constantly parrot that he’s often injured? Kjell 2.0 is injured more often than Mitts.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Mitts has spent one season dealing with injuries.

Why do you haters of him constantly parrot that he’s often injured? Kjell 2.0 is injured more often than Mitts.
you have to think about it terms of his total development curve. rookie year there were high expectations with housley as the new coach, but the roster was still awful and housley was soon revealed as not the right guy.

botteril then brings in kruger who fails spectacularly, especially in developing the young players…. casey gets sent down, people begin to say he’s a bust, etc etc.

the following year is covid. kind of a wash/sea change year for the entire organization. adams comes in, kruger is rightfully canned, granato is now the coach but no one thinks he’s actually the guy.

21-22 is donny’s first full year as coach. our young players begin to really take off. this is casey’s injury problem year.

and now this season, he’s actually getting a real chance. no disgruntled players on the roster, a coach that is actually good, and a whole bunch more talent around.

it’s not a mystery why he has been leaps and bounds better this year in comparison to his earlier years. his entire development was botched by the organization. i honestly think he is going to be a great player for us. it was a winding path, but after this season i think the ship has been righted

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
you have to think about it terms of his total development curve. rookie year there were high expectations with housley as the new coach, but the roster was still awful and housley was soon revealed as not the right guy.

botteril then brings in kruger who fails spectacularly, especially in developing the young players…. casey gets sent down, people begin to say he’s a bust, etc etc.

the following year is covid. kind of a wash/sea change year for the entire organization. adams comes in, kruger is rightfully canned, granato is now the coach but no one thinks he’s actually the guy.

21-22 is donny’s first full year as coach. our young players begin to really take off. this is casey’s injury problem year.

and now this season, he’s actually getting a real chance. no disgruntled players on the roster, a coach that is actually good, and a whole bunch more talent around.

it’s not a mystery why he has been leaps and bounds better this year in comparison to his earlier years. his entire development was botched by the organization. i honestly think he is going to be a great player for us. it was a winding path, but after this season i think the ship has been righted
It's not how I would have mapped out his development but he is the player today that he is because of his path. Difficult times produce great people. Cheers to Mitts for making the decision to work his ass off and being honest with himself every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad