Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
We’re in a great position with mitts. His value is now decent. We don’t have to move him. He’s well liked and playing hard. He’s getting better. We also have a well stocked war chest of forward prospects if we lose him.

As good of a situation as you can ask for.
I think Mittlestadt see himself as a long-time Sabre.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Could have been his big night to be become a champion for Buffalo.

Looked high strung all game and played well but that tension doesn't help you around the net.

I still think he has another level or two. A+ for effort lately.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Mitts is starting to break out. He plays with passion and may be one of our best playmakers. During the telecast Ray mentioned that Mitts is one of the hardest workers on the team.

What does he need to work on during the offseason? I’d like to see him work on his conditioning and shot. I feel like he could have had at least 10 more goals this season.

Also, work on your fighting skills. Don’t be a punching bag. At least learn to defend yourself. Perhaps some added strength may help in that department.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Mitts is starting to break out. He plays with passion and may be one of our best playmakers. During the telecast Ray mentioned that Mitts is one of the hardest workers on the team.

What does he need to work on during the offseason? I’d like to see him work on his conditioning and shot. I feel like he could have had at least 10 more goals this season.

Also, work on your fighting skills. Don’t be a punching bag. At least learn to defend yourself. Perhaps some added strength may help in that department.
100%... the guy could have 61 points easy right now... nuts to think about

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It sounds like the rink rat has also become a gym rat in how his teammates talk about him. He's shown perseverance and grown over the course of this season. He's almost doubled his career assist numbers this year, despite being third-wheeled so often from the more established scoring lines. There is utility there, acknowledged hard work, and his being one of the glue guys in an unusually tight room.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
It sounds like the rink rat has also become a gym rat in how his teammates talk about him. He's shown perseverance and grown over the course of this season. He's almost doubled his career assist numbers this year, despite being third-wheeled so often from the more established scoring lines. There is utility there, acknowledged hard work, and his being one of the glue guys in an unusually tight room.
That's probably the most underrated thing about Mittelstadt's game is that he can play up and down the lineup.

3rd line: Played most of the season and had ups and downs but had always believe VO was the anchor on that line which we can all say now is true. When he's away from VO he's great. Like how he looks with Greenway.

2nd line: Had a few games with Cozens. Not only were you finding his name in the box score more but he and Cozens looked great together.

1st line: Not the idea line you want him on but if one of Tuch, Tommer and Skinner go down, you can plug Mitts up there no problem. He's done a great job navigating the top line in Thompson absence.

Mitts prove he's a valuable piece to this team. Curious to see if Adams tries to extend him in the offseason as well

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Could Mitts be the best passer on the team? That pass to Greenway was as good as it gets. He is very accurate, he can put it right on the tape and can make the passes like that even when he is covered.

I feel like he is just starting to hit his stride. 50-60 point defensively responsible third line players are not easy to come by.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's probably the most underrated thing about Mittelstadt's game is that he can play up and down the lineup.

3rd line: Played most of the season and had ups and downs but had always believe VO was the anchor on that line which we can all say now is true. When he's away from VO he's great. Like how he looks with Greenway.

2nd line: Had a few games with Cozens. Not only were you finding his name in the box score more but he and Cozens looked great together.

1st line: Not the idea line you want him on but if one of Tuch, Tommer and Skinner go down, you can plug Mitts up there no problem. He's done a great job navigating the top line in Thompson absence.

Mitts prove he's a valuable piece to this team. Curious to see if Adams tries to extend him in the offseason as well

He's also moved back and forth from center to wing which gives them some flexibility, like letting Thompson have Cozens to handle center duties at the moment. I'm not saying give him a huge long contract, but I can see him being a Killorn or Palat fit as not "core" but still closer to core than not until he's either no longer able to provide utility or they find someone who does it better that forces him aside.

Mostly I'm just happy for him after the criticism and trials he's had over the last few years. He's become an interesting part of the team IMO.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Mitts is their Killorn.
Killorn makes $4.5, which I think may have some playoff success factored in, which we haven't seen from Mitts yet (no fault of his own). I think you can go ~$4M on a short term deal, or closer to $5M on a long term one.

Third line wingers don't get much more than that these days, do they?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Killorn makes $4.5, which I think may have some playoff success factored in, which we haven't seen from Mitts yet (no fault of his own). I think you can go ~$4M on a short term deal, or closer to $5M on a long term one.

Third line wingers don't get much more than that these days, do they?

More of the role, not the money.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Was it my imagination last night or were they rolling with skinny-tuch-cozens then Mitts-Thompson-Quinn? Interesting and effective combos. Maybe easing Thommer back in

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Could Mitts be the best passer on the team? That pass to Greenway was as good as it gets. He is very accurate, he can put it right on the tape and can make the passes like that even when he is covered.

I feel like he is just starting to hit his stride. 50-60 point defensively responsible third line players are not easy to come by.

On the team? No. Dahlin is by far and away the best passer on the team.

If you restrict it to just forwards, I think there's certainly a case to be made.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
On the team? No. Dahlin is by far and away the best passer on the team.

If you restrict it to just forwards, I think there's certainly a case to be made.
Dahlin is but restricting it to forwards I think so. One thing I notice with Casey is he is very good at putting the puck where only the sabres player can reach it, he is also good at putting it on the tape, very accurate most of the time. He still needs to clean up the giveaways but he has come a long way in that department.

If he can keep improving next year I think we might have a very good player.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
What do we do with him? Do we extend him? Do we trade him while his value is high? I think he is a good winger on either the 2nd or 3rd line but players like Savoie and Kulich are waiting for their chance, similar to Quinn and JJP last year. This will be a very interesting off season for Casey.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How does he compare in terms of being a core piece to say, someone like Krebs? Even Peterka?

Most of us assume Mitts is usually the expendable guy, but I actually have no idea how Adams views it. Mitts is only 24. He is getting better every year and just put up 50+ points from the 3C role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad