Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Mitts works his bag off every night and I think he’s served better on the wing. I don’t hate him as a third line winger although I think he needs to work on his foot speed if he’s gonna be an energy guy.

When Don was giving him a fair shake as the 2C on the half wall on the powerplay? No thanks

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The problem I have with Mitts is when he takes possession of the puck he goes more east-west than North-South

He really likes to stick handle the puck when he gets it and it costs a precious second or two.

I have been watching him and if he would go hard to the net when he gets the puck we would have a much better player. I don't understand why this is not being explained to him.

Before Tage Thompson broke out he did the same thing. He would try to stick handle in one spot or try to dipsy doodle without trying to get the puck to the net. I can see parallels before Tage broke out.

Watch him next game, he will dance around in the neutral zone with the puck instead of taking a high speed zone entry and driving to the net.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The problem I have with Mitts is when he takes possession of the puck he goes more east-west than North-South

He really likes to stick handle the puck when he gets it and it costs a precious second or two.

I have been watching him and if he would go hard to the net when he gets the puck we would have a much better player. I don't understand why this is not being explained to him.

Before Tage Thompson broke out he did the same thing. He would try to stick handle in one spot or try to dipsy doodle without trying to get the puck to the net. I can see parallels before Tage broke out.

Watch him next game, he will dance around in the neutral zone with the puck instead of taking a high speed zone entry and driving to the net.
Yeah, I explained Mitts ineffectiveness once as stickhandling into the boards.

Seems like they may be telling that line to dump it in. I see that more often now. With Jost's forecheck speed that line is more effective than Mitts trying to skate east-west.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a trio, they are all supporting one another now and they are all trying to put two men on the puck carrier. First one pins out, second retrieves and moves it to the third or back to the point. Rinse, repeat. It's how they worked with Asplund instead of Jost to end last year. Mitts is looking to pass a bit less and Jost is looking to drive the net front more which has added a dimension they didn't have prior.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
As a trio, they are all supporting one another now and they are all trying to put two men on the puck carrier. First one pins out, second retrieves and moves it to the third or back to the point. Rinse, repeat. It's how they worked with Asplund instead of Jost to end last year. Mitts is looking to pass a bit less and Jost is looking to drive the net front more which has added a dimension they didn't have prior.

Well said, but I would add that maybe an even bigger change recently is that Vic is moving his feet and not just finding open ice and waiting for linemates to distribute the puck.

Last year after his wrist healed, he was buzzing around the zone, moving the puck quickly and circling into different shooting areas, making the D's job really hard to track him. He is starting to do that again.

Most of this year he has been stationary, waiting for a pass, forcing his line to basically play a man down for all intents and purposes.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yeah, I explained Mitts ineffectiveness once as stickhandling into the boards.

Seems like they may be telling that line to dump it in. I see that more often now. With Jost's forecheck speed that line is more effective than Mitts trying to skate east-west.
He really likes to stick handle along the boards too. If he can figure out when to stick handle and when to drive to the net I think we will see two completely different players.

Reactions: Jacob582

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He really likes to stick handle along the boards too. If he can figure out when to stick handle and when to drive to the net I think we will see two completely different players.
Mitts doesn't really having the skating aptitude to drive the net against D that are in position.

He's always going to be more effective carrying the puck to open space and spreading the ice for his teammates, where he is deceptively good and dishing pucks while stickhandling and catching everyone off guard.

Personally I think Casey could be a great complimentary player if he was paying with better-skating, strong offensive player. Mitts and Olofsson have shown flashes of chemistry, but I don't think they are the best linemates.

Olofsson would benefit by a more dynamic skating puck distributor, and Mittelstadt would benefit by playing with a more dynamic, multi-threat winger.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
I've actually never been so impressed with Mittelstadt. But equally Olofsson and Jost. They seem to be forming an identity together.

I think others have said it, it seems that all the linemates are supporting one another better, are hard on the puck and generally using their speed to their advantage.

They need to, because they are never going to beat their opponent down with their size.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I've actually never been so impressed with Mittelstadt. But equally Olofsson and Jost. They seem to be forming an identity together.

I think others have said it, it seems that all the linemates are supporting one another better, are hard on the puck and generally using their speed to their advantage.

They need to, because they are never going to beat their opponent down with their size.
Mitts was touted as the best offensive player in the draft that year.

I guess my expectations are higher. Maybe time to lower them.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I bet you already have. Mitts isn't the offensive dynamo he was touted as coming the draft but he's certainly a more mature player now more than ever.

I personally think he still leaves a lot on the ice and it's not effort. He is a dynamic passer with very good vision but his preference for passing keeps him from getting to those ideal shooting spots on the ice, with or without the puck. Once he is more comfortable with his shot, he will want to use it more in some situations and create opportunities to use it.

Maybe that never happens but if it does, he will add another dimension and increase not only goals but apples as well as the ice will open up differently for him and he'll be the NHL dynamo we hoped for.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I bet you already have. Mitts isn't the offensive dynamo he was touted as coming the draft but he's certainly a more mature player now more than ever.

I personally think he still leaves a lot on the ice and it's not effort. He is a dynamic passer with very good vision but his preference for passing keeps him from getting to those ideal shooting spots on the ice, with or without the puck. Once he is more comfortable with his shot, he will want to use it more in some situations and create opportunities to use it.

Maybe that never happens but if it does, he will add another dimension and increase not only goals but apples as well as the ice will open up differently for him and he'll be the NHL dynamo we hoped for.
I have not given up on him becoming a serviceable middle six winger, but I am done with him at center, and if the right trade comes, I will not be afraid to trade him in the least bit for something I need more.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022

I certainly wasn't making a comment about him fulfilling his expectations.

I was saying that a guy who hasn't looked like much is starting to look like somebody.

That's something

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I certainly wasn't making a comment about him fulfilling his expectations.

I was saying that a guy who hasn't looked like much is starting to look like somebody.

That's something
Sorry, the comment was about my expectations. I still dont like the way Mitts is playing but maybe its time for me to lower my expectations.

I haven't really lowered them yet. For me 25-26 is the cut off before I decide if a player is done growing IF they have ability. Of course a 7th round pick who is trash isn't going to become a superstar unless his name is Zetterberg 🙄

Joker is 23
Mitts is 24
Jost is 24
Krebs is 21

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He is only 24, and he seems to be developing really well. The points are coming this season (pacing for over 50 points), he is showing some grit, pretty good energy…and all with not the best line mates.

Looks like he can be an ideal bottom 6 forward.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He is only 24, and he seems to be developing really well. The points are coming this season (pacing for over 50 points), he is showing some grit, pretty good energy…and all with not the best line mates.

I think that if Skinner's contract wasn't an issue, he'd be best with Thompson and Tuch.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

I think we all (including the Sabres) hoped he would take the next step at center like Tage did, but after 5 years of trying to succeed at center, it was time to simplify things and make him a winger. Fortunately, it looks like he could thrive there. At this point I think they should focus on him being a middle six 2 way winger.

Our top line is not a two way line, as Skinner and Tage both are poor defensively. They are genuine #1 scoring line though. Unfortunately, they need Tuch to drive that line. I would love to see them get another top 6 RW to replace Tuch.

I think Mitts - Cozens - Tuch could be a very solid 2-way second line.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's gratifying to see him starting to figure it out and maybe that line is just having short-term success, but for the folks talking about flipping him now that his value is higher (not necessarily in this space), do they seem like that's how this is going to play out? That the guy who is a central figure to so many of their young players group is going to be shipped out as he starts to provide consistent secondary scoring? That seems highly unlikely.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
It's gratifying to see him starting to figure it out and maybe that line is just having short-term success, but for the folks talking about flipping him now that his value is higher (not necessarily in this space), do they seem like that's how this is going to play out? That the guy who is a central figure to so many of their young players group is going to be shipped out as he starts to provide consistent secondary scoring? That seems highly unlikely.

I think Olofsson becoming competent at 5v5 is a big part of it. I don’t know how much I believe that’s the real deal. But I do think Mitts is the real deal with good linemates

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Olofsson becoming competent at 5v5 is a big part of it. I don’t know how much I believe that’s the real deal. But I do think Mitts is the real deal with good linemates

Vic's level of engagement has gone up in the last few weeks. We see him involved on the boards to the extent he's winning some battles. He's coming back on plays to attempt to provide defense, though the results aren't always what we want since he is still held back by his lack of footspeed. That line likely works offensively as long as he is doing that and as long as Jost has the fire lit under him to win puck battles. Mitts has been able to provide the support, often as F2 who can come in and make a play in traffic to maintain possession when Jost gets in on the forecheck. Sometimes he's F1 and Jost is is F2, with a similar idea. They have been playing more akin to the Gus/KO line in that they are looking to keep the puck below the goal line and work a cycle game. Strangely, it worked for Asplund-Mittelstadt-Olofsson last year when by rights that line doesn't have the size or speed one would think it would need to make that work... but it did as the season ended.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He seems well-liked in the room as well. Not the typical trade bait characteristic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He seems well-liked in the room as well. Not the typical trade bait characteristic

He's very much a part of the Dahlin-Cozens crew that live by the harbor. Bryson is in that mix as well as Krebs from what the behind the scenes stuff seems to indicate so do they it's going to take a lot more to dislodge him from the room than people just wanting a fractional improvement IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad