Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sam Bennett
Teuvo Teravainen
Andrew Copp
Ivan Barbashev
JT Miller

A few I can think of. Though I think there are always variables that won't line up. Some guys just get better once they receive more ice time or better linemates, some through a change of scenery.

It's a loaded question hopefully not to prove anything.
Any late bloomers can be picked apart as not real comps - not the same stats, age, position, usage, talents, better/worse team...
Then if you can't find the perfect comp, which you won't, the narrative that nobody has ever been a late bloomer centerman top line skilled with 2.03 p/60... gets repeated. I'm hoping that's not the point.

No I'm genuinely curious because I think Mittelstadt becoming a regular contributor is a long shot. Typically late bloomers will fill another role (Copp/Couterier come to mind) successfully and offense comes later. So they are still contributing even if they aren't racking up points, so they continue to get ice time while that part of their game develops.

I think Mittelstadt will be a pretty rare case if he does work out. An undersized skill guy who isn't producing won't continue to get a roster spot after so long. The only real comp that seems like a real parallel is Josh Bailey. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
No I'm genuinely curious because I think Mittelstadt becoming a regular contributor is a long shot. Typically late bloomers will fill another role (Copp/Couterier come to mind) successfully and offense comes later. So they are still contributing even if they aren't racking up points, so they continue to get ice time while that part of their game develops.

I think Mittelstadt will be a pretty rare case if he does work out. An undersized skill guy who isn't producing won't continue to get a roster spot after so long. The only real comp that seems like a real parallel is Josh Bailey. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
In my mind this is definitely a make it or break it season ahead for Mittelstadt. He is going to have a ton of internal competition soon.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Recency bias has me in wait-n-see. He has put a few in from the same area as RJ's last, and his play in front of the crease with Dahlin feeding him is money. Kind of looking forward to seeing how it all goes this season.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

My apologies for being accusatory. It would be pretty rare and CM will get every opportunity to be successful. He's talked about as a completely different player and person so I'm hoping that's what drives his success.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
All three of our top centers (TT CM DC) are playing for contracts and/or long-term plan-selection. As it should be with all the young blue chip forwards that we have.

If we feel really good about 2 out of those 3 at seasons end that will be great. I hope it turns out that way.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My apologies for being accusatory. It would be pretty rare and CM will get every opportunity to be successful. He's talked about as a completely different player and person so I'm hoping that's what drives his success.
It wouldn’t be rare.

After Granato took over from Krueger, Mitts was given a shot as a top 6 center. He was on a roughly 30g 60pt pace in last 20 or so games of that season. He obviously isn’t that but it was something to build on coming into this past season.

After a strong camp that elevated expectations, his season was derailed by a game one injury. He ended up missing half the season and played at less than full health when he did play. It would hardly be shocking or “rare” if a fully healthy Mitts got back on track this season.

But even last season with the injury issues he was still a solid middle 6 center who made us better when he was in the lineup. He‘s already a contributor that made the team better. Its a matter of what level contributor can he be. Not if he belongs on the NHL.

As @SnuggaRUDE pointed out , even if this is what he ends up being its role that holds value on the roster

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

6'1" 195 ..

Josh bailey. Did mitts insult yr grandma.. no way is Mitts the admitted best player in camp before Injury and now.. a tweener ahl scrub... I'm sorry that's hilarious.. if you think it can you make it so .

Mitts is at least a year or two behind mentally Before Donny got ahold of him . Right when his confidence is restored and he it starting to be as he sees himself injury , injury. Surgery..

I'm not picking on you but did you want to trade or cut oloffson as well? Will you agree that once oloffson started to recover.. he was what we needed anith line and a shit on the power play .not easy to find .

I hear the frustration w mitts. But he's been rushed and now finally he's good. If the general opinion out there is reflective of yours then it's no wonder mitts dahlin and the older prospects are such head cases.. it's not your fault but giving away Mitts, at least in my mind is giving away Thompson (or better).

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It wouldn’t be rare.

After Granato took over from Krueger, Mitts was given a shot as a top 6 center. He was on a roughly 30g 60pt pace in last 20 or so games of that season. He obviously isn’t that but it was something to build on coming into this past season.

After a strong camp that elevated expectations, his season was derailed by a game one injury. He ended up missing half the season and played at less than full health when he did play. It would hardly be shocking or “rare” if a fully healthy Mitts got back on track this season.

But even last season with the injury issues he was still a solid middle 6 center who made us better when he was in the lineup. He‘s already a contributor that made the team better. Its a matter of what level contributor can he be. Not if he belongs on the NHL.

As @SnuggaRUDE pointed out , even if this is what he ends up being its role that holds value on the roster
I agree with you. I was just trying to not be harsh with Doak

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Josh bailey. Did mitts insult yr grandma.. no way is Mitts the admitted best player in camp before Injury and now.. a tweener ahl scrub... I'm sorry that's hilarious.. if you think it can you make it so .
I wouldn't consider a Josh Bailey comparison an insult, and he's definitely not an AHL tweener. Bailey is still a pretty solid middle 6 forward, he's just overpaid now. He had several solid years of production though.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I wouldn't consider a Josh Bailey comparison an insult, and he's definitely not an AHL tweener. Bailey is still a pretty solid middle 6 forward, he's just overpaid now. He had several solid years of production though.
Josh. ... My mistake.. I see Bailey. And the sabres.. rough project linebacker on ice..

I'll get off my soap box with Emily latella ..
Nevermind..

Looking at Josh I don't think he aligns w Mitts.. he didn't break 50 points til late twenties.. Mitts would have had near 50 last year if not derailed.. I don't think he's weak and injury prone he's arrogant or he was and didn't take Life seriously until sent to Rochester .. Then he's been derailed..

We have only seen glimpses of his true game.. it's a top six center. He has some real flash and great shot but he knows now .that won't be enough... signing for that is proof to me .. .. but it does show the will and perseverance that it takes if life does not break w you .. I see fight in him , enough to know he'll be steal for us. ..I can't imagine the league won't see it , if he's actually healthy and has a Good camp w this defensive group. Wow.. can't wait to see it .
The same is true for cozens . he has different issues..like Dahlin if he works on a good shot and chills out he'll break 50 this year as well.. the game was slowing down for him at the end .

I'm surprised the perception of mitts.. I thought it was planted in the media to motivate him . He will either hit all the way. Top three scorer on this team for years or I suppose life could continue to trample him. I don't see the latter at all actually.. He does have to take it though.. it won't come to him , if he coasts or takes a day off so will his career.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Tonight against Calgary was the best game I can recall Casey playing. All his talents were on display, and he played with a passion we haven't often seen.

Too early to be certain, but he might finally be rounding into the player we expected him to be.

He turns 24 next month.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Tonight against Calgary was the best game I can recall Casey playing. All his talents were on display, and he played with a passion we haven't often seen.

Too early to be certain, but he might finally be rounding into the player we expected him to be.

He turns 24 next month.
So was last night's game a rare good game for him?.. I rarely am able to see Sabres games but I watched last night and I thought he was unreal. I'll admit that I just have assumed he has been somewhat a bust(just by stat watching and reading comments about him) but I was extremely impressed with him VS Calgary

Reactions: Team Cozens

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I remember thinking at points last season that Casey looked like he was skating in quicksand half the time. Not that he was slow but there were times it seemed like he should have been faster. Last night he was just flying though, it was great to see. Maybe it's just optics, but he legitimately looks faster to me this season.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
So was last night's game a rare good game for him?.. I rarely am able to see Sabres games but I watched last night and I thought he was unreal. I'll admit that I just have assumed he has been somewhat a bust(just by stat watching and reading comments about him) but I was extremely impressed with him VS Calgary
There's always been a question about his training and conditioning but between Sabres' development issues and Casey's injuries last year, I don't think anyone on this board really knows what he's capable of.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I remember thinking at points last season that Casey looked like he was skating in quicksand half the time. Not that he was slow but there were times it seemed like he should have been faster. Last night he was just flying though, it was great to see. Maybe it's just optics, but he legitimately looks faster to me this season.
Oh he is absolutely faster this season. Completely agree with your post.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Liked his game a lot last night, hope he stays healthy noticed his face has less fat.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I have a more stringent definition of "bust" than most. Let's just say that Casey was trending to have a very disappointing career.

In fairness, he's been injured plenty, and when he turned pro Sabres player development wasn't winning any prizes. He had been quite indifferent to off-season training as well, which is on him. All golf, and no squat rack, make Casey a very pudgy boy.

We've got 2 talented rookie forwards on the roster, a still developing Krebs, and a slew of forward prospects. Nearing 24, Casey is in a produce-now situation, or risk being trade bait.

Last night's performance was a rarity, his best NHL game to many of us on HF Sabres. That's the player we hope to see on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad