Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He's the Sabres most skilled forward. It's amazing what happened when the kid actually got healthy and got most of his conditioning back.
My biggest problem with him has always been the work off ice. I think he's starting to put some doubts in. Excellent.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
My biggest problem with him has always been the work off ice. I think he's starting to put some doubts in. Excellent.
The light clicked for him a few years ago when he got better off-season training. Last year Kreuger scuttled him, but we saw the glimpses at the end of the season. This year injuries took it's toll but he's been fantastic the last few games as his conditioning improved. People saying there's no room and want to toss him are foolish as it would suck seeing him breakout somewhere else's

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The light clicked for him a few years ago when he got better off-season training. Last year Kreuger scuttled him, but we saw the glimpses at the end of the season. This year injuries took it's toll but he's been fantastic the last few games as his conditioning improved. People saying there's no room and want to toss him are foolish as it would suck seeing him breakout somewhere else's

I've been impressed with seeing him bring back the back pressure on guys. He's hunting pucks and lifting sticks to regain possession, then hitting people with a quality pass to get them moving in transition. There have been hints of that with him at the top of his game before, but right now, it's just a thing he's doing seemingly all the time.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I've been impressed with seeing him bring back the back pressure on guys. He's hunting pucks and lifting sticks to regain possession, then hitting people with a quality pass to get them moving in transition. There have been hints of that with him at the top of his game before, but right now, it's just a thing he's doing seemingly all the time.
He could of had 2 apples from just doing that last night but Asplund and Tuch couldn't cash in those beauties. That doesn't even count the pass where Tuch ran out of real estate next to the net

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we had to struggle through Tage's progress, including his string of injuries, we can be a bit patient with Mittelstadt too. It's not like Thompson didn't mess up his shoulder and lose an entire year after having put in a ton of off-ice work in the summer (and a ton of on-ice work after going down at long last to Rochester).

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
There was one battle along the boards where Mitts got knocked down, but still was stick handling with one hand. It legitimately looked like the puck was glued to his stick.
Seriously. That play reminded me of the Max 360 goal in that what my eyes saw didn’t seem physically possible. I still don’t understand how he did that.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Him and Krebs have that type of dogged back check and turn up ice that will benefit this team for years.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
This season is likely a make it or break it year for Mitts. He needs to continue to get stronger and more productive. I agree with most that he'll be motivated for a break out season and if he can stay healthy I'm looking for 20 plus goals and 50 points total from him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This season is likely a make it or break it year for Mitts. He needs to continue to get stronger and more productive. I agree with most that he'll be motivated for a break out season and if he can stay healthy I'm looking for 20 plus goals and 50 points total from him.
I usually lean towards the cautious pessimism side of the spectrum, but it just seems like he's primed to breakout. I'd almost be more surprised if he didn't hit that

The past 2 seasons the eye test and stats have not aligned, injury probably contributing. I think he surprises many

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Guys like him and Krebs make plays just based off of intuition. It's an uncanny ability and not many players have it but if Mitts is healthy this year and can make those plays for 70+ games, I don't see why 65 points is more than realistic.

I think some of the guys who showed up more than expected last year could regree but a full season with Mitts and Krebs would more than make up for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad