Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Whatever his off-season training was, it's paying off. Not only does he have more impressive quickness now, it seems to have built on what I thought was improved conditioning last off-season.
Conditioning was my biggest complaint of his when he first got ice time with the Sabres. He's definitely been putting in work at it is extremely noticable. Last year he showed flashes but it was just a fluke injury year. He completely changes the dynamics of this team if he can be consistent.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's not a surprise for me, I expected something like that, because he almost always looked decent under Granato, he was just unlucky with an injury last season. Casey has always had a skill.

The biggest thing with him, apart from just being healthy so far this season, is the speed. He definitely looks like he's gotten faster.

Reactions: Jacob582

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The biggest thing with him, apart from just being healthy so far this season, is the speed. He definitely looks like he's gotten faster.
To me it looks more like he puts effort in to get separation before doing the fancy stuff. It's more like he makes sure to generate speed before anything else.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Is it possible he can be a strong 3C with two-way skills and FO ability? Is that role already taken by Cozens? I think the dreams of Mitts being a good top-six center may be dead, but it doesn't mean all is lost.

I think they could build a good third line around Mitts and Asplund, but they need a better fit at RW. Again, if only they could clone Tuch. Maybe put Krebs and Olofsson on the block in search of a longer-term fit at RW. Perhaps that guy is already in the system (i.e. Kulich).

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Is it possible he can be a strong 3C with two-way skills and FO ability? Is that role already taken by Cozens? I think the dreams of Mitts being a good top-six center may be dead, but it doesn't mean all is lost.

I think they could build a good third line around Mitts and Asplund, but they need a better fit at RW. Again, if only they could clone Tuch. Maybe put Krebs and Olofsson on the block in search of a longer-term fit at RW. Perhaps that guy is already in the system (i.e. Kulich).
yeah I've been thnking of late what if he's 'only' a Mikael Backlund type? Theres value to that, pops for 45-55 pts in his prime while playing good D, not the 60-70 pt guy some are hoping for. I think Cozens will be more of a legit top6 C when all is said vs a two-way 3 C, so slotting Mitts behind him isnt an issue.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
yeah I've been thnking of late what if he's 'only' a Mikael Backlund type? Theres value to that, pops for 45-55 pts in his prime while playing good D, not the 60-70 pt guy some are hoping for. I think Cozens will be more of a legit top6 C when all is said vs a two-way 3 C, so slotting Mitts behind him isnt an issue.
Agree on this - except it kind of leaves Krebs in a weird spot. I really don’t see him at wing long-term.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
He has to show he can figure out how to be defensively responsible and not cause direct HDCA with his play in his own zone. If he can't do that, he's not displacing anyone at center.
I think with Tage locked up, Cozens showing he is at the very least a 3C if not a 2C, and Mitts looking like he could also be a solid 3C at the least, Krebs is going to have to show something sooner rather than later. Savoie, Ostlund and Kulich are young but at least one of them could be pushing for spots in the line-up as early as next season.

Perhaps packaging Krebs and Joker could net them an upgrade at RD. Not saying I'm giving up on the players, just that eventually they need to find ways to upgrade the right side while also easing the logjam of young forwards.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Casey is easily playing the best and most consistent hockey of his career (let's consider the Seattle gaffe an anomaly). He's displaying an all-around game that I didn't think he had in him.

7 points in 9 games. The goals will come.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
0167b7671c06f659897bc4f9903d5d7e76-16-jesse-pinkman-aaron-paul.rsquare.w330.jpg

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I was not a fan of the Mittelstadt pick. Thought he was a soft trick shot artist, and his first couple years seemed to play out that way. Then he seemed to get that he was in danger of failing, and spent a summer at Erik Rassmussen's training center to get stronger and faster. He came back with a purpose and my hope for him began to rise. Then injury....injury...injury.

Going into this year I was excited to see him get one more full opportunity to breakout at center. And it just never happened. The more I watched, the more it seemed to me he was playing hard, but seemed like a player thinking about everything and thus being a half second behind on making decisions, or, at times not thinking at all and just going barreling in. Makes it hard on wingers. So.....I have finally come around to the idea that after NHL 225 games, a breakout at center may not be in the cards. Makes me think a position change (like with Tage) may be more likely to have a bigger effect. On the wing he has less responsibility and can just play hard and think less.

I wonder if Casey and his agent were ahead of that this offseason, with multiple times him or his agent suggesting the wing as a possibility. Even Casey in training camp saying:

“Wherever he puts me, I’ll play, I’ll play hard and try to have some fun,” said Mittelstadt, who will likely make his preseason debut tonight. “I think I’ve played both before, so it’s no problem bouncing back and forth. … It honestly doesn’t feel much different playing wing and playing center, especially in our system, just because we’re trying to always be moving and then pressure the puck."

The last couple games as Skinners replacement he looks better and more comfortable. (Yes I realize he is playing with better players.) At this point I hope when Skinner comes back that they give Casey a long look as the third line LW next to Jost and see where we get.

Reactions: paulmm3

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was not a fan of the Mittelstadt pick. Thought he was a soft trick shot artist, and his first couple years seemed to play out that way. Then he seemed to get that he was in danger of failing, and spent a summer at Erik Rassmussen's training center to get stronger and faster. He came back with a purpose and my hope for him began to rise. Then injury....injury...injury.

Going into this year I was excited to see him get one more full opportunity to breakout at center. And it just never happened. The more I watched, the more it seemed to me he was playing hard, but seemed like a player thinking about everything and thus being a half second behind on making decisions, or, at times not thinking at all and just going barreling in. Makes it hard on wingers. So.....I have finally come around to the idea that after NHL 225 games, a breakout at center may not be in the cards. Makes me think a position change (like with Tage) may be more likely to have a bigger effect. On the wing he has less responsibility and can just play hard and think less.

I wonder if Casey and his agent were ahead of that this offseason, with multiple times him or his agent suggesting the wing as a possibility. Even Casey in training camp saying:

“Wherever he puts me, I’ll play, I’ll play hard and try to have some fun,” said Mittelstadt, who will likely make his preseason debut tonight. “I think I’ve played both before, so it’s no problem bouncing back and forth. … It honestly doesn’t feel much different playing wing and playing center, especially in our system, just because we’re trying to always be moving and then pressure the puck."

The last couple games as Skinners replacement he looks better and more comfortable. (Yes I realize he is playing with better players.) At this point I hope when Skinner comes back that they give Casey a long look as the third line LW next to Jost and see where we get.
IIRC the wing idea was from Granato. Which makes sense with us having four options for our top 3 center spots. Granato wanted at least one of Mitts/Krebs to figure out playing wing so he could have the option of both of them in the top 9.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad