Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He's very much a part of the Dahlin-Cozens crew that live by the harbor. Bryson is in that mix as well as Krebs from what the behind the scenes stuff seems to indicate so do they it's going to take a lot more to dislodge him from the room than people just wanting a fractional improvement IMO.
Very underrated part of the Sabres success is their obvious chemistry together. Love that Adams is letting them develop together. Mitts isn't going anywhere. Kulich and Savoie will eventually replace VO and KO. My other hope is one offseason UFA add of Mayfield or Dumba to replace Joker. I honestly believe this team has all it needs including goaltending next year with UPL and Comrie. Levi late next year after a development season with Rochester.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He's very much a part of the Dahlin-Cozens crew that live by the harbor. Bryson is in that mix as well as Krebs from what the behind the scenes stuff seems to indicate so do they it's going to take a lot more to dislodge him from the room than people just wanting a fractional improvement IMO.
That was a lot of my argument for why he wouldn't be traded last summer, and it now looks like it'll be the same this summer.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Very underrated part of the Sabres success is their obvious chemistry together. Love that Adams is letting them develop together. Mitts isn't going anywhere. Kulich and Savoie will eventually replace VO and KO. My other hope is one offseason UFA add of Mayfield or Dumba to replace Joker. I honestly believe this team has all it needs including goaltending next year with UPL and Comrie. Levi late next year after a development season with Rochester.
I think Levi joining the team next year is very optimistic. He needs to see alot more quality shots and deal with the grind of a longer season. It is a big jump physically from NCAA to even the AHL. Could be wrong, but they have been very conservative with his handling thus far. I would like an upgrade on UPL or Comrie heading into next season. Time to up the bar on expectations for the players and fanbase.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
But the chart says he sucks bro!
Captain charts has been quite kind in comments of late on him.

If he can stay on this level he should be fine until the next level is ready (Kulich, Ostlund, Savoie, futures, etc.). But if a opportunity is out there to upgrade in the summer or he is included in a deal I'm not against it either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bendium

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
The charts don't say Mitts sucks. In terms of xG and shot suppression, they say he's been ok defensively (the team is slightly worse without him.) And that his most common linemate (VO) has been bringing him down. (Look at where the shots come from on Mitts' chart)
Screenshot_20230305_102216_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230305_102241_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

20230305_102344.jpg

I think he had a rough stretch with VO in the middle of the season and that is coloring a lot of opinions.

I also think Mitts can still develop a little bit. All things considered, he hasn't played a ton at this level in a good development situation. His prime development years happened to be the Kreuger black hole. We should give him some time to round out his game.

He is not yet part of the long term core, but I think he gets at least another year and he could cement his spot with a strong performance next year.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The charts don't say Mitts sucks. In terms of xG and shot suppression, they say he's been ok defensively (the team is slightly worse without him.) And that his most common linemate (VO) has been bringing him down. (Look at where the shots come from on Mitts' chart)
View attachment 663659View attachment 663657

View attachment 663660
I think he had a rough stretch with VO in the middle of the season and that is coloring a lot of opinions.

I also think Mitts can still develop a little bit. All things considered, he hasn't played a ton at this level in a good development situation. His prime development years happened to be the Kreuger black hole. We should give him some time to round out his game.

He is not yet part of the long term core, but I think he gets at least another year and he could cement his spot with a strong performance next year.
everyone is talking about Krueger, he also had do endure Housley, he was just as bad
I am not sure why people want him replaced. he is perfectly fine were he is right now.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
everyone is talking about Krueger, he also had do endure Housley, he was just as bad
I am not sure why people want him replaced. he is perfectly fine were he is right now.
Casey's speed increase has been a noticeable and pleasant suprise this season. More than a few times this year I had to make a double take to confirm it was Mitts that I was seeing. LOL

Reactions: debaser66

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Casey's speed increase has been a noticeable and pleasant suprise this season. More than a few times this year I had to make a double take to confirm it was Mitts that I was seeing. LOL
at worst he is a Girg/KO replacement going forward; I see him as a scrappy 3C 40/50pts, who can plug up and down the line up.

Reactions: Team Cozens

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
View attachment 663659View attachment 663657

View attachment 663660

It seems to be the Olofsson effect... Cozens production went down when VO was playing with him and JJ. You're starting to see that with the Krebs line now.

When the Mitts-Jost-VO line was broken up, Mitts was playing with Krebs and Quinn and was productive. Now seems complement Cozens very well. You can really see his play improve once he moved away from Olofsson.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We’re in a great position with mitts. His value is now decent. We don’t have to move him. He’s well liked and playing hard. He’s getting better. We also have a well stocked war chest of forward prospects if we lose him.

As good of a situation as you can ask for.

And if he's putting up points and doing what we've seen him do defensively in a depth winger position, there are going to be teams who will sniff around thinking about what that would look like at center on their center deficient team.

Okay. Minnesota. I mean the Wild. That's who I mean. :laugh:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
We’re in a great position with mitts. His value is now decent. We don’t have to move him. He’s well liked and playing hard. He’s getting better. We also have a well stocked war chest of forward prospects if we lose him.

As good of a situation as you can ask for.
I am of the opinion that we need to move from development to winning as the reason for the season. Mitts is completely fine when deployed in the proper role. He is producing adequately based on usage. I would like to see someone take his spot versus gifting it to someone.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I am of the opinion that we need to move from development to winning as the reason for the season. Mitts is completely fine when deployed in the proper role. He is producing adequately based on usage. I would like to see someone take his spot versus gifting it to someone.
I think Savoie takes his spot, but it's 2-3 years away.

Kulich is taking Olofsson's next year (if they dont add a UFA to)

Reactions: The Blunder Years

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Do you watch the playoffs every year? Watch the playoffs this year and then lets revisit. I assure you, nearly half the Sabres roster will not make the cut, and there are not the type of players in our system to fill the holes we have. This roster will not be a cup team organiclly.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I think yesterday might have been the best I’ve seen him play against strong opposition. Was an absolute demon checking along the boards.
Yesterday was easily in the top 5 games I have seem Mitts play. Noone should ever try to move him back to center again. He needs the simplicity of the wing so he can just play and not think.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Something of note to me on Mitts this year, he's developed an ability to disrupt the puck along the wall and in short distances that reminds me of O'Reilly. He gets on someone and just causes them to not cleanly move the puck as the F1 - it's not quick, it's not violent, but it works like how ROR could get on people to cause that sort of disruption. He's become pretty good at it and then has been good at winning the 50-50 or supporting if he's F2 to make a play to an open teammate.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Do you watch the playoffs every year? Watch the playoffs this year and then lets revisit. I assure you, nearly half the Sabres roster will not make the cut, and there are not the type of players in our system to fill the holes we have. This roster will not be a cup team organiclly.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this team(ish) is going to win the Cup.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Mittelstadt - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - Savoie - Kulich
Jost - Krebs - Peterka

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - **Soucy
Johnson - Lybushkin

Levi

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
He is surprisingly one of our best forwards in board battles and has shown a good 2 way ability, I was one of his biggest haters at the beginning of the year but he has blossomed into a consistent forward for us, he has a place on this team without a doubt right now.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

Jost - Krebs - Peterka

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - **Soucy
Johnson - Lybushkin

Levi
Sorry. Don't see it. That is still a soft roster. The bottom half has some skill, but lacks the size and grit needed.

Can that roster make the playoffs, in a couple years when Savoie and Kulich are in the NHL? Sure, but they are not going anywhere in the playoffs.

Also, I have a strong problem with putting prospects on a roster and calling it a cup roster. We have no idea if Savoie or Levi will be effective NHL players, much less consistent reliable cup quality NHL players.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Jost - Krebs - Peterka

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - **Soucy
Johnson - Lybushkin

Levi
Definitely: Thompson tuch Cozens Quinn Dahlin Samuelsson Power

Likely: Levi Peterka Savoie Kulich Krebs Skinner

Possibly: Mittelstadt Greenway Johnson Lyubushkin

Ehhhh: Jost