Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Carey Price besides Dominick Hasek is probably the most talented and IS the most technically sound goalie of all time. No weaknesses. Roy never did as much with such a poor team as the 2014-15 season. It wasn't just his numbers. It was the fact that he did it on such a sorry team that was the lowest scoring team to make the playoffs that year. I can't even imagine what price would've done with Patrick Roy's teams in front of him
Hasek was a top fame , one of the best goalkeeper ever. But he was not a technical goalie at all. Roy, Price or Brodeur were each in their own style.
I remember someone said one day, Roy is the butterfly technique, Brodeur the reflex and positioning style . Then he added that Hasek wasn’t even looking, he was just stopping the puck from the sounds. He was hot-dog, bananas split, looked like bacon 🥓 on the ice

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Hasek was a top fame , one of the best goalkeeper ever. But he was not a technical goalie at all. Roy, Price or Brodeur were each in their own style.
I remember someone said one day, Roy is the butterfly technique, Brodeur the reflex and positioning style . Then he added that Hasek wasn’t even looking, he was just stopping the puck from the sounds. He was hot-dog, bananas split, looked like bacon 🥓 on the ice
No I meant talent wise Hasek and price are the top and technical ability wise, Price IS the best (Hasek not included obviously). Price is much more technically sound than any goalie considered elite in the nhl

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
No I meant talent wise Hasek and price are the top and technical ability wise, Price IS the best (Hasek not included obviously). Price is much more technically sound than any goalie considered elite in the nhl
i agree , but i also put Brodeur on top.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not only did we make the playoffs that year but we finished 1 point shy of the president trophy? Only trailing the ducks if I remember correctly.

And that's with DAVID DESHARNAIS as our #1C (no disrespect)
Most common lines that year where:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau (We even saw Weise on that line)
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
De la Rose - Eller - Smith Pelly (or Sekac)
Prust - Mitchell - Weise

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry (Gilbert for most of the year)
Beaulieu - Gilbert/Gonchar

We finish 2nd overall in whole league with 110 pts and 50 wins with that lineup ! Even if we where 20th for Goal For. He was just unbeatable during that year

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Most common lines that year where:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau (We even saw Weise on that line)
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
De la Rose - Eller - Smith Pelly (or Sekac)
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry (Gilbert for most of the year)
Beaulieu - Gilbert/Gonchar

We finish 2nd overall in whole league with 110 pts and 50 wins with that lineup ! Even if we where 20th for Goal For. He was just unbeatable during that year
Toenails got Theodore in his prime, and Price in his prime.......hilarious.
We were awful in all categories, except goaltending, and Toenails, and Bergevin got extensions!! LOL at Mol$on. Price had horrible teams out in front of him....just horrible. We couldn't score goals.

Reactions: jrom

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Toenails got Theodore in his prime, and Price in his prime.......hilarious.
We were awful in all categories, except goaltending, and Toenails, and Bergevin got extensions!! LOL at Mol$on. Price had horrible teams out in front of him....just horrible. We couldn't score goals.
Defence was ok, only need thing he needed to do was to bring that high end #1 C and he never come even close. How can you try to win a cup with top 6 C of Plekanec and DD ?

He never traded a 1st round pick or top prospect during those year to make this team better

Reactions: BLONG7

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So.....is he retired? Done?

What's the official latest? Has Hughes talked/adressed Price in anyway recently? Is there even any more talk of "he's rehabbing, we'll see"? Or have they flat out stated he's done?

I'll be honest I was still holding out hope that with a full season off he could get better and return, but obviously this doesn't seem to be where things are heading.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price is the best goaltender in franchise history, any of the other goaltenders on this list would tell you that. He had the aboslute worst support.

This is lost............on a lot of people.

Maybe if you go by the idea that players, and goalies in particular, have evolved/improved significantly over decades, and so in the sense of "raw ability" Price is #1, sure.

But if you compare to how good they were in relation to the era they played in vs peers, than no. Dryden, Roy and Plante are definitely ahead.

Just look at their vezina records as a comparable.

Roy - 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10 (just montreal years)
Price - 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10

Roy has a much better playoff record too. Did he have a few bad games, or maybe series? Possibly - but he is also the greatest playoff goalie ever for a reason, his highs are insane, and many. Price had some very big playoff highs, but he also had some bad games/series too.

Dryden and Plante also were terrific.

Carey Price is incredible - and I think with better team/roster he would have done even better, but I don't think it does him any service to exagerate so much. Injuries in particular were a killer for him - both in the 2014 playoffs, in the 2016 season, and right after the cup run. 3 key injuries at the worst time possible unfortunately

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe if you go by the idea that players, and goalies in particular, have evolved/improved significantly over decades, and so in the sense of "raw ability" Price is #1, sure.

But if you compare to how good they were in relation to the era they played in vs peers, than no. Dryden, Roy and Plante are definitely ahead.

Roy has a much better playoff record too. Did he have a few bad games, or maybe series? Possibly - but he is also the greatest playoff goalie ever for a reason, his highs are insane, and many. Price had some very big playoff highs, but he also had some bad games/series too.

Carey Price is incredible - and I think with better team/roster he would have done even better, but I don't think it does him any service to exagerate so much. Injuries in particular were a killer for him - both in the 2014 playoffs, in the 2016 season, and right after the cup run. 3 key injuries at the worst time possible unfortunately
I would never deny those goalies their due...............my main point is, Price had nothing of a team in front of him, and those other goalies had hall of fame players to actually score goals, in order to win.
Price was a victim of a flawed GM, and the game plan, of just make da playoff, and who knows....

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would never deny those goalies their due...............my main point is, Price had nothing of a team in front of him, and those other goalies had hall of fame players to actually score goals, in order to win.
Price was a victim of a flawed GM, and the game plan, of just make da playoff, and who knows....
Bad management and bad drafting... Not being able to draft a 70 pts + player in 15 years is problematic.

The biggest mistakes we made in the 2000 was to pass on Ryan Getzlaf in 2003 or on Claude Giroux in 2006 when we needed C. That would have change everything in we would maybe have seen a Stanley Cup in the last decade.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022

Roy is arguably the best in the playoffs. Sawchuk gets no love

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Are you suggesting Sawchuk should be above Roy for playoffs?

When the history forum did a project ranking the top 40 playoff perfomers of all-time a few years ago, Roy ranked #2 (behind Gretzky, and it wasn't even unanimous, as some had him #1). Sawchuk didn't make the top 40.

Not saying this list is the end all be all nor that Sawchuk isn't also great in the playoffs - but to me there's absolutely no way to rank Sawchuk above Roy for playoffs. Very big difference. Maybe if you look at Roy in Montreal only, but that's only half his career.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022

When the history forum did a project ranking the top 40 playoff perfomers of all-time a few years ago, Roy ranked #2 (behind Gretzky, and it wasn't even unanimous, as some had him #1). Sawchuk didn't make the top 40.

Not saying this list is the end all be all nor that Sawchuk isn't also great in the playoffs - but to me there's absolutely no way to rank Sawchuk above Roy for playoffs. Very big difference. Maybe if you look at Roy in Montreal only, but that's only half his career.
Their stats are basically identical and with the same amount of cups. Roy played when the trap was killing the game where sawchuck played when 80 foot shots were common goals (being dramatic). Many consider him and Hasek better than Roy. I’m not saying he’s better than Roy but people just think he’s in a different dimension when he’s not. He’s had amazing teams but did carry the habs in 93

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Carey Price besides Dominick Hasek is probably the most talented and IS the most technically sound goalie of all time. No weaknesses. Roy never did as much with such a poor team as the 2014-15 season. It wasn't just his numbers. It was the fact that he did it on such a sorry team that was the lowest scoring team to make the playoffs that year. I can't even imagine what price would've done with Patrick Roy's teams in front of him
Price was amazing and a terrific puck handler as well. It’s a shame he got hurt in the 2016 season. He was well on his way to back to back Hart trophies.

As for him vs Roy - my thing with Roy is that he never beat a team that was definitively better. For all the talk of the two cups - we played teams who were as good or worse than us. Dryden and Price however were able to beat way better teams. Price did it several times. On Roy’s teams he’d have won multiple cups no doubt. I can’t even imagine him behind that squad of Chelios, Robinson, Carbo, Skrudland etc… a dream team for a goalie to play behind.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hated watching Hasek. His flopping style was terrible. But… it clearly worked for him. A good case for best goalie ever.

Reactions: ZUKI

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I strongly disagree with Roy being the best in the playoffs. To argue that you have to ignore the years where he was God awful. And there are more than a couple. He was very inconsistent.

Great, great goalie. But he’s also the most overrated in my opinion. And I understand why. Peoples look at the Smythes and the cups. Damn impressive. But when you drill in: very inconsistent, was bad enough to kill his team on multiple occasions, Never beat a definitively better team (you could argue The Wings in 96 but those teams were very even) and was beaten internationally on Team Canada.

Great goalie but others are better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I’m not a fan of the history forum. Gotta be honest with you.

And the hockey news ranked Sawchuk as the highest ranked goalie at 9th.

Most old timers I’ve spoken to swear he’s the best ever.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I’m not a fan of the history forum. Gotta be honest with you.

And the hockey news ranked Sawchuk as the highest ranked goalie at 9th.

Most old timers I’ve spoken to swear he’s the best ever.

I found a hockey news ranking with Sawchuk ranked 9th, as the highest goalie from 2008 or 2009 it seems. I'm going to assume that's the list you're refering to?

If so - that list also had Dominik Hasek ranked 95th...which invalidates the whole list in my opinion, and makes it a complete joke :laugh:

No issue if some are high on Sawchuk - but usually both Roy and Hasek are easily ahead by majority.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Price was amazing and a terrific puck handler as well. It’s a shame he got hurt in the 2016 season. He was well on his way to back to back Hart trophies.

As for him vs Roy - my thing with Roy is that he never beat a team that was definitively better. For all the talk of the two cups - we played teams who were as good or worse than us. Dryden and Price however were able to beat way better teams. Price did it several times. On Roy’s teams he’d have won multiple cups no doubt. I can’t even imagine him behind that squad of Chelios, Robinson, Carbo, Skrudland etc… a dream team for a goalie to play behind.
Yeah it is quite unfortunate that Price came in not at the worst time (that's mid 90s- 05 lockout) but at a time with incompetent team builders and didn't even have the caveat of having an older core of previous winners like Roy had partially in 86. Price could only dream that he played in front of a C like Bobby Smith. That's pretty sad when you think about it. To this day, I believe if price didn't get hurt in 2014 playoffs, Habs would've made the finals and competed for a cup. But that's what if thinking which I bash on leaf fans for

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Theodore is a real hard one to rank. I know he has the hardware, and he also had a strong 03-04, but he was never the same after that year long lockout.

The short but crazy peak makes him a controversial pick.

It's a combination of his peak and his overall stature in the Montreal market. He was a rockstar for a while.

So may as well go with him among "the rest".

Maybe Vachon but meh, I identify him as a Los Angeles King.

Our Top 8 is amazing though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Price was a money player for sure. From 2011 onwards his numbers were better in the playoffs than the regular season. They were insanely good actually. He was
consistent to the point where it was an auto win if the team scored three goals or more. Injuries kept him from back to back Harts and he’ll still be a HOFer. A shame he was in such crappy teams or he’d have won cups and rank higher.

In terms of Habs I’d put it:

Plante
Dryden
Roy
Price

Durnan has a great case but lost a lot in the playoffs despite being in insane teams. If you wanted to put him ahead, that’s fine too. Vezina was never really best in the league. I’d have Price ahead of him.

Regardless if you have all those goalies ahead of him or not - it’s an insanely good group. He was one of the best players of his time and he’ll be in the HOF. Worthy of jersey retirement. Won absolutely everything but the cup. What a huge break we got winning the draft lottery that year.

Vézina was often mentioned as the best goalie of his generation, so claiming he was never the best in the league*/world is a stretch.

That said, I'm fine if someone wants to put Price over him. But Vézina was definitely in the same caliber of goalie.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
They were all saying look at the bad technique of this goalie but that f goalie with his f bad technique was the best goalie of the planet tabarnak. Is is that what we call contradictary?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hasek had a great peak but he lacked a very important quality for a goalie: Toughness / durability. He was always injured at the worst of times or refused to play when he didn't feel 100%. Contrast this with Martin Brodeur, someone whose peak wasn't as high but who gave you very above-average goaltending for 70 games a year and always healthy in the playoffs.

I much rather an above average workhorse goalie than a high peak goalie made of glass.

Hasek played 70+ games exactly 1 season in his career. Brodeur did it for 12 seasons. I'd much rather pick Brodeur for my franchise than Hasek. Plus Brodeur was the greatest puckhandler among goalies, like a 3rd defenseman.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Hasek had a great peak but he lacked a very important quality for a goalie: Toughness / durability. He was always injured at the worst of times or refused to play when he didn't feel 100%. Contrast this with Martin Brodeur, someone whose peak wasn't as high but who gave you very above-average goaltending for 70 games a year and always healthy in the playoffs.

I much rather an above average workhorse goalie than a high peak goalie made of glass.

Hasek played 70+ games exactly 1 season in his career. Brodeur did it for 12 seasons. I'd much rather pick Brodeur for my franchise than Hasek.
I didn't watch them in there prime so I can't really rely but Brodeur was getting what ? 15-20 shoot by game ? Way harder for a guy like Price (I think Hasek was the same case) when you receive ton of really good scoring chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad