Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Jacques Plante took a 3 year long break around the same age, then came back and posted a ,926 sv% in 6 seasons (183 games) in the NHL, with two finals appearances with the Blues, during which he was part of the greatest goalie duo of all-time : Glenn Hall and himself. We never know!

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Jacques Plante took a 3 year long break around the same age, then came back and posted a ,926 sv% in 6 seasons (183 games) in the NHL, with two finals appearances with the Blues, during which he was part of the greatest goalie duo of all-time : Glenn Hall and himself. We never know!
We can still have hope. This is an unlikely scenario but who knows.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Damn, MB really wasted the entire prime of a franchise goaltender. We could have won a Cup with this guy with competent management, maybe more than one. Came pretty close a couple years even with the clown show. This is MB’s legacy.

I wish Carey all the best. I was always critical of him; I won’t pretend I wasn’t, but he won me over in the end, and I always respected him as a person. He was always nothing but class in this league and as the face of this franchise. I hope he stays involved with the team in some capacity, even if he’s not around much.
14-15 and 16-17 were two great performances by Price that Bergevin completely wasted. Goal scoring was an issue both seasons and the deadline brought no reinforcements to help that. The fact Price dragged the 2021 team to 3 wins shy of the finals while playing hurt is a glimpse of what he could have done with a stronger roster.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Not surprising at all if you understand how the human body works.
Actually, I'm commenting because I kind of do understand how the body works.
And from personal experiences , it is mandatory from your insurer that you seek and follow medical treatment for your injuries if you intend to stay on the payroll ´ for the length of your work contract.
While I was not a professional athlete, I did have a major accident 8 years before my expected retirement date. I suffered life threatening injuries that required 3 surgeries , and then about 6 years of rehab in order to regain an acceptable ´quality of life' . After that period, and without any possibility of more improvements because of permanent damage to my spinal cord, and having a bunch of disk fusions , a team of Dr consisting of neurologists and neurosurgeons came to the conclusion that no further treatment was going to make things any better, and because my line of work involved making quick life saving decisions and hard physical work, Only after that , the insurer accepted that I stopped physical rehab until the end of my contract.
So, while I do understand Price's decision not taking the risk to suffer from his knee later on in life, I don't understand the insurer's perspective of just going along with this decision and respecting the contract.
Robidas island, in my mind was a place where athletes went to recover from career ending brain injuries due to concussions, not knee or foot injuries that can surely be corrected.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
14-15 and 16-17 were two great performances by Price that Bergevin completely wasted. Goal scoring was an issue both seasons and the deadline brought no reinforcements to help that. The fact Price dragged the 2021 team to 3 wins shy of the finals while playing hurt is a glimpse of what he could have done with a stronger roster.

2021 is so unfortunate too because I still say he was 1 great game away from arguably winning it for us. Game 3 of the finals is where it took a final turn. We lost first 2 games fair and square, but I fully expected him to bounce back and be lights out in game 3...only he wasn't, if anything it was his worst game those playoffs.

Game 4 - back to lights out, we win.
Game 5 - also lights out, but the margin of error is inexistent and we lose 1-0

I think if Price had somehow found it in him to steal game 3, we would have won game 4 too and made a series out of it. Not saying we win for sure, but it's 50/50 and I'd like our odds.

I'm certainly not blaming him, just lamenting what could have been. Tampa to me is the strongest playoff team of the cap era, so it's a hell of an opponent we were up against.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Meh...was obvious last year too, you just clinged on.
It's like Weber, it wasn't official until it became that but it was obvious he was doneso.

I mean....it wasn't like Weber? Price was training all last year to return, and then he did return and play some games. Weber it was clear he was done and retiring since start of last year, never trained to come back/hasn't come back.

Unless you're implying Price since the start of this season is like Weber last year - at least that's closer.

Price had a press conference earlier this year. So it hasn't been radio silence. He said he'd like to work his way to return. However, he said he's aware it will never happen. His injury was far from him being able to do the smallest thing to work on any possible return.

But if they're looking to sell their Montreal home to return to BC, then it pretty much confirms he's officially done.

He never said anything with so much finality did he? Maybe he said "it might not happen" - but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have said it will not happen. In his press conference at start of season he literally said he had no plan to retire yet.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
2021 is so unfortunate too because I still say he was 1 great game away from arguably winning it for us. Game 3 of the finals is where it took a final turn. We lost first 2 games fair and square, but I fully expected him to bounce back and be lights out in game 3...only he wasn't, if anything it was his worst game those playoffs.

I think if Price had somehow found it in him to steal game 3, we would have won game 4 too and made a series out of it. Not saying we win for sure, but it's 50/50 and I'd like our odds.

I'm certainly not blaming him, just lamenting what could have been. Tampa to me is the strongest playoff team of the cap era, so it's a hell of an opponent we were up against.
The story once again was we couldn't score......................rinse and repeat, sadly.
remember, it was told to us, Price played his entire career, with ONE 80 pt player (Kovalev ) and it was in his rookie year. Laying it all on the goalie was such a flawed philosophy. He deserved better, and it never came.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
This is kind of ridiculous at this point.
Guy is so scared to get injured some more with the injury curse here that he's moving the farthest possible from Montreal.

All seriousness though, maybe now he can wait until he gets paid his signing bonus and then can announce his retirement and we can move on from this foolishness.

I mean why is the insurance company not forcing the issue? We all know he ain't ever playing again, they don't?

Come on now!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Guy is so scared to get injured some more with the injury curse here that he's moving the farthest possible from Montreal.

All seriousness though, maybe now he can wait until he gets paid his signing bonus and then can announce his retirement and we can move on from this foolishness.

I mean why is the insurance company not forcing the issue? We all know he ain't ever playing again, they don't?

Come on now!
They can't force the issue, because he can no longer do his job at the highest level, simply put.
We all have to admit, that pro sports, is somewhat a little different than our jobs....

If a regular Joe gets seriously hurt at work, and WCB approves the claim until retirement age, it doesn't matter where he lives, in NS or BC, or Quebec...............not that this is a regular Joe scenario....but just pointing out it doesn't matter.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The story once again was we couldn't score......................rinse and repeat, sadly.
remember, it was told to us, Price played his entire career, with ONE 80 pt player (Kovalev ) and it was in his rookie year. Laying it all on the goalie was such a flawed philosophy. He deserved better, and it never came.
Im happy that Hughes doesnt seem to be following that logic. Bergevin fell right into that trap. Yes you have a franchise goalie who can steal games but that doesnt mean you should rely on that. Tampa has a franchise goalie too but he has a stellar supporting cast. Imagine if we had a guy like Point to the 2015 team or 2017 team. Guarantee you we'd have more success in those years.

Its just such a shame that the prime years of Price were wasted by poor team building and injuries. At least he made it to the finals once.

Reactions: zeeto and BLONG7

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Just like in 2010 and 2014, I cant help to think what if we faced a different opponent. 2010, we would have fared better against Boston. 2014, we wouldnt have had the Kreider hit and Fleury doesnt play well against the Habs and in 2021, our odds would have been so much better against the Islanders who themselves had scoring question marks but also played a tight defensive game.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It’s unfortunate on a lot of levels, because we could also argue that Bergevin’s shelf life was extended way longer than necessary because Price was propping up his shoddy teams. Most of us knew it and called it here from as early as 2013.

I guess you never know and I appreciate the memories created by Price, but never going “all in” and wasting all those draft picks on bad picks is also sickening to look back on.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It’s unfortunate on a lot of levels, because we could also argue that Bergevin’s shelf life was extended way longer than necessary because Price was propping up his shoddy teams. Most of us knew it and called it here from as early as 2013.

I guess you never know and I appreciate the memories created by Price, but never going “all in” and wasting all those draft picks on bad picks is also sickening to look back on.
Bergevin's conservative nature did us in. He should have fully committed in 2015 and 2017 and went all in. But he always kept an foot out the door whicb never paid off as we couldnt develop players. Ultimately I do think Price bought Bergevin a lot of time and masked a lot of issues with the team.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Wonder if we could move his contract like we did Weber?
The big difference is how much money is still due to be paid. Weber's contract was heavily front loaded, what was the difference between what was left and Dadonov's contract? Don't think there was alot. Another team would need a heavy incentive to assume the rest of Price's contract, like moving an equally onerous contract.

edit: Weber had a total of $6 million left on his contract (4yrs: 3+1+1+1). Dadonov is being paid $6.5 million this season.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I lost so much faith in Bergevin at the 2015 deadline. Even if he acquired Petry. Then getting Ben Scrivens when Price goes down and letting the season go to waste pretty much sealed my opinion of him. I was already out on him before Subban.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Come on now!

If Price LTIRetires then the insurance company is on the hook for a certain percentage. (Probably ~80%).

Not sure how much is covered before he's "retired" thougb

The big difference is how much money is still due to be paid. Weber's contract was heavily front loaded, what was the difference between what was left and Dadonov's contract? Don't think there was alot. Another team would need a heavy incentive to assume the rest of Price's contract, like moving an equally onerous contract.

edit: Weber had a total of $6 million left on his contract (4yrs: 3+1+1+1). Dadonov is being paid $6.5 million this season.

Not necessarily, it also depends how much of Prices contract is insured

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I mean that would be amazing, if they somehow won the draft lottery and get Bedard and suddenly next year or the year after Price can come back and put up those kinds of numbers...but alas I am not holding my breath.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The bulk of what is left on Price's contract is signing bonus. Is that insured?
Not sure, they theoretically could be. Anything can be insured one way or another.

Large Farming companies essentially insure yield by purchasing financial products that pay them if the weather is bad for their crops during the growing season.

If thats possible I'm sure the Habs could have atleast partially insured signing bonuses.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Not sure, they theoretically could be. Anything can be insured one way or another.

Large Farming companies essentially insure yield by purchasing financial products that pay them if the weather is bad for their crops during the growing season.

If thats possible I'm sure the Habs could have atleast partially insured signing bonuses.
From experience, even small farms have that type of insurance.

The question here though, is what incentive is there for another team to take on whatever financial responsibility is left on that deal, which is quite possibly significant.

I'd be curious if anyone has any info on the insuring of signing bonuses.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It's strange how radio silent it's been on Price's health this year.

All of last season it was "he's rehabbing, setback but still rehabbing, hoping to return soon, rehabbing, etc".

This year - nothing.

Is he still rehabbing?
Is he considering/undergoing surgery? (I remember there were risks, not saying he should, just curious if it's still being looked at/considered)
Is he working towards an actual return?

I understand people here are all assuming he's done. How about Price himself though? Last year I fully got the feeling he was 100% working towards a return. Is he still doing that this year, or has he given up?
He wasn't working towards a return, he was proving to the insurance company that he tried. Now the insurance accepted the claim.

Reactions: ReHabs

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
From experience, even small farms have that type of insurance.

The question here though, is what incentive is there for another team to take on whatever financial responsibility is left on that deal, which is quite possibly significant.

I'd be curious if anyone has any info on the insuring of signing bonuses.

The incentive definitely depends on how much stuff is insured.

Hoepfully we can get away with something similar to Webs. Take on a short term bad deal to send it out.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It is surprising how Weber, Price and Byron ( and anybody else on Robidas island )can just completely check out without having insurers insisting they go through rehab and at least try to get back on their skates.
Hmm no. Price spent a whole year pretending he might come back, doing rehab for the insurance company. Weber apparently played for like 3 years with pretty bad injuries... MRIs and scans exist, and insurance company doctors look at them.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

Jul 6, 2016
That spells "retirement" for me.... But not for his paychecks !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad