Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Carey’s legacy is only going to improve over time, especially once this team experiences real success if for no other reason than the fact that he was able to put together this kind of career given 15 years of pretty weak teammates is short of miraculous. I mean, this is a Hart winning, cup finals reaching goalie who was considered the best player in the league at his peak whose beat teammates were guys like 34 year old Kovalev, end of career Shea Weber, Mike Cammalleri, Max Domi, Nick Suzuki… it’s one of the great tragedies of the sport that we were never privileged with a truly stacked Price team. He’s a guy who deserves some rings.

Reactions: Redux91

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
I hate to be the vulture swooping in to pick at the carcass, but, I was wondering the same thing - if MTL would be looking to move Price's contract. As you're probably aware - the Hawks are in a rebuild having stripped the roster down to the studs resulting in tons of available salary cap room with which to weaponize if possible. Price's $10.5M for 3 more years shouldn't be a problem for the Hawks to handle. If MTL would be amenable to this deal - what would they be willing to give up to clear that $10.5M off their salary cap?

Would this deal work?

To CHI: Carry Price and 2023 1st rounder (5th overall)
To MTL: 2023 1st rounder (19th overall)

Basically swap #5 for #19 and unload Price's $10.5Mx3

Buddy, congrats on Bedard, but you can't be serious.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
To provide slightly more detail, it just doesn't do anything for Montreal at all, there's no meaningful problem solved or value added for us to do it.

The Habs print money and Price being on LTIR is not a pressing issue. It's a slight inconvenience in the offseason so they might be willing to pay something like a 3rd to dump the contract and save the actual cash, but moving from 5th to 19th just to dump an LTIR contract that amounts to a rounding error for Montreal financially makes no sense.

OK - thanks for the detail. Looking from outside I don't have that level of detail. As a Hawks fan I have experienced the LTIR hurdle to transition from offseason 10% cushion to cap compliancy on Day#1. - we went through that with Hossa and Seabrook. Wasn't sure how you guys would view that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hate to be the vulture swooping in to pick at the carcass, but, I was wondering the same thing - if MTL would be looking to move Price's contract. As you're probably aware - the Hawks are in a rebuild having stripped the roster down to the studs resulting in tons of available salary cap room with which to weaponize if possible. Price's $10.5M for 3 more years shouldn't be a problem for the Hawks to handle. If MTL would be amenable to this deal - what would they be willing to give up to clear that $10.5M off their salary cap?

Would this deal work?

To CHI: Carry Price and 2023 1st rounder (5th overall)
To MTL: 2023 1st rounder (19th overall)

Basically swap #5 for #19 and unload Price's $10.5Mx3
So we give up a 5th overall to deal a guy who we can just put on LTIR? I'm sorry but no.

Congrats on Bedard though. We'll trade Price for him if you want? :laugh:

OK - thanks for the detail. Looking from outside I don't have that level of detail. As a Hawks fan I have experienced the LTIR hurdle to transition from offseason 10% cushion to cap compliancy on Day#1. - we went through that with Hossa and Seabrook. Wasn't sure how you guys would view that.
No team would give up a 5th for cap space stuff. Maybe later picks or players etc... but a top five would be out of the question for any team.

Reactions: Wats

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
So we give up a 5th overall to deal a guy who we can just put on LTIR? I'm sorry but no.

Congrats on Bedard though. We'll trade Price for him if you want? :laugh:

No team would give up a 5th for cap space stuff. Maybe later picks or players etc... but a top five would be out of the question for any team.

Yes, I already went to penalty box and felt shame.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Carey’s legacy is only going to improve over time, especially once this team experiences real success if for no other reason than the fact that he was able to put together this kind of career given 15 years of pretty weak teammates is short of miraculous. I mean, this is a Hart winning, cup finals reaching goalie who was considered the best player in the league at his peak whose beat teammates were guys like 34 year old Kovalev, end of career Shea Weber, Mike Cammalleri, Max Domi, Nick Suzuki… it’s one of the great tragedies of the sport that we were never privileged with a truly stacked Price team. He’s a guy who deserves some rings.
What will get lost in the sands of time is how bad things got in 2018. Price numbers tanked once we lost our blueline. f***ing horrible how we basically broke the guy. Best goalie in the league and suddenly his numbers nosedive.

So many trolls coming out saying he sucked… it was a clownshow. Those teams were just God awful.

We had one of the best players in the league. A guy who always showed up in the playoffs. And we squandered it. f***ing heartbreaking. What a waste of talent.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder if he’ll have a role like that; he’s a super technical goalie... Hasek would be like “I don’t know, just do a cartwheel”.

I think arpon basu mentioned at some point that carey loves playing the game as a competitive guy but not so sure if he would love the game in another way.

I've never got the vibe that he wants to be a coach or anything. Maybe he feels an obligation to do something while he's under contract at the moment, but he seems like a guy to me who would be happy enough in a slow paced life outside of big cities.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think arpon basu mentioned at some point that carey loves playing the game as a competitive guy but not so sure if he would love the game in another way.

I've never got the vibe that he wants to be a coach or anything. Maybe he feels an obligation to do something while he's under contract at the moment, but he seems like a guy to me who would be happy enough in a slow paced life outside of big cities.
I think the same, maybe as Advisor from back home but not a full time coach

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The fact the only PPG player Price had was a aging Kovalev during his rookie year is really hard to think about. Bergevin never gave him the support he needed.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
What will get lost in the sands of time is how bad things got in 2018. Price numbers tanked once we lost our blueline. f***ing horrible how we basically broke the guy. Best goalie in the league and suddenly his numbers nosedive.

So many trolls coming out saying he sucked… it was a clownshow. Those teams were just God awful.

We had one of the best players in the league. A guy who always showed up in the playoffs. And we squandered it. f***ing heartbreaking. What a waste of talent.
To me, it's so depressing to think back to Price's relationship with the fans and media as a young player, and how his career ended up. I vividly remember how hard the city was on him for those first several years. The message was always that Price needs to learn how to handle the Montreal pressure cooker because all of the crap you deal with is worth it for the good times; he holds up his side of the bargain and becomes a great goalie, and we hold our side and make him a statue-worthy legend. He went above and beyond expectations, and in return we give him 18 months of Mike Cammalleri, the shell of John Drouin and Tie Domi's kid.

One of the moments I remember most from his early days was the game where he was letting everything in, the crowd was really giving it to him, and after an easy save, he waves his arms sarcastically. You wonder if that kid knew what his career would end up like, whether he'd sign that extension- we all know he wouldn't and would've been a Canes legend by now but now that he's riding off into the sunset, it's so sad how so much of the crap he put up with turned out to be all for nothing.

I hope he stays part of the org, but like people have said, I don't see it. Maybe they can give him a west coast scouting job where he can fly around in his biplane and scout out WHL goalies or something. I think he's a guy who's going to go retreat to his estate and we won't hear from him outside of future career achievement awards.

It's not even ppg, how many times did he have a 70+ point player? There was Domi once, Plekanec once and the aforementioned Kovalev once.
Man, even as a fan, Plek was my favourite player for years because he was the best player on a lot of bad teams, but we always knew he was really a second line center who was warming the seat of our first line center who we only sorta acquired like... two years ago with Suzuki. I thought we'd have a better C than Plek at some point during his playing career, I just didn't think it would happen when he was playing in Czechia...

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
To me, it's so depressing to think back to Price's relationship with the fans and media as a young player, and how his career ended up. I vividly remember how hard the city was on him for those first several years. The message was always that Price needs to learn how to handle the Montreal pressure cooker because all of the crap you deal with is worth it for the good times; he holds up his side of the bargain and becomes a great goalie, and we hold our side and make him a statue-worthy legend. He went above and beyond expectations, and in return we give him 18 months of Mike Cammalleri, the shell of John Drouin and Tie Domi's kid.

One of the moments I remember most from his early days was the game where he was letting everything in, the crowd was really giving it to him, and after an easy save, he waves his arms sarcastically. You wonder if that kid knew what his career would end up like, whether he'd sign that extension- we all know he wouldn't and would've been a Canes legend by now but now that he's riding off into the sunset, it's so sad how so much of the crap he put up with turned out to be all for nothing.

I hope he stays part of the org, but like people have said, I don't see it. Maybe they can give him a west coast scouting job where he can fly around in his biplane and scout out WHL goalies or something. I think he's a guy who's going to go retreat to his estate and we won't hear from him outside of future career achievement awards.

Man, even as a fan, Plek was my favourite player for years because he was the best player on a lot of bad teams, but we always knew he was really a second line center who was warming the seat of our first line center who we only sorta acquired like... two years ago with Suzuki. I thought we'd have a better C than Plek at some point during his playing career, I just didn't think it would happen when he was playing in Czechia...

Maybe they could have given him better teammates if he wasn't (and still is) the most expensive goaltender in the league. During the 2020-21 season we were paying nearly 15M in goalies because Prices' health (and performance) meant he needed a pretty good backup.

Most teams don't pay even half that for their starters, some even less. I'm sure they could have gotten quite a good D-man if they had 7M in savings from their goalies...

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe they could have given him better teammates if he wasn't (and still is) the most expensive goaltender in the league. During the 2020-21 season we were paying nearly 15M in goalies because Prices' health (and performance) meant he needed a pretty good backup.

Most teams don't pay even half that for their starters, some even less. I'm sure they could have gotten quite a good D-man if they had 7M in savings from their goalies...
Price's contract, has never been an issue to get anything done.............never.
We had a donkey GM, who blew it.............

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario

Florida seems to be able to put a good team together despite Bobrovsky making 10 Million a year (and this is despite him not being a 60+ game goalie that can properly carry the load).

This was never on Price. It was on a management team that proved time and time again that despite being able to make decent smaller moves, never was able to put a good enough team around an elite goaltender.

People also forget his final run in the league (and it's fitting it was his last) saw him will a mediocre team to the Stanley Cup Finals. I'll never forget how he turned back the clock and stone walled right up until the finals despite facing three teams that were clearly better in pretty much every other area.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Price's contract, has never been an issue to get anything done.............never.
We had a donkey GM, who blew it.............

That's a laughable take. Following his signing that contract he managed one good season statistically and two bad injury-riddled season (and a fantastic playoff run) before being LTRed. That's a disastrous return for that contract.

Florida seems to be able to put a good team together despite Bobrovsky making 10 Million a year (and this is despite him not being a 60+ game goalie that can properly carry the load).

This was never on Price. It was on a management team that proved time and time again that despite being able to make decent smaller moves, never was able to put a good enough team around an elite goaltender.

People also forget his final run in the league (and it's fitting it was his last) saw him will a mediocre team to the Stanley Cup Finals. I'll never forget how he turned back the clock and stone walled right up until the finals despite facing three teams that were clearly better in pretty much every other area.
Are you going to try to pretend Bobrovsky's contract is anything else than a disaster despite the Panthers' current run? People will really say anything to pump up Price.

The fact is that they were carrying 15M in salary to get mediocre goaltending because Price was so flaky and fragile by then. That would be a huge anchor for any team.

Reactions: Pat Riot

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's a laughable take. Following his signing that contract he managed one good season statistically and two bad injury-riddled season (and a fantastic playoff run) before being LTRed. That's a disastrous return for that contract.

Are you going to try to pretend Bobrovsky's contract is anything else than a disaster despite the Panthers' current run? People will really say anything to pump up Price.

The fact is that they were carrying 15M in salary to get mediocre goaltending because Price was so flaky and fragile by then. That would be a huge anchor for any team.
Troll.............LOL

We left cap unused for years, after Price signed his deal. Clown GM work there.....
Your take, is the laughable one...........
Haters gonna hate!! LOL

Next thing you will try to tell us, is Drouin is a good player!! LOLOLOLOL

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Assuming he doesn't want the day to day grind of scout/coach then I could see a case for being a goalie consultant that comes in for things like development camp to work with the young goalies.

Reactions: Vachon23

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

Well, I know you're not saying that Price should've taken a $7M pay cut because that would be silly, and I definitely know you're not saying that if we got rid of Price's contract we would've been able to get both good free agents and a cup contender level goalie because that would be even sillier.

Don't buy into the "we have no money" argument- this is a franchise that prints its own money. During Price's first year under his new deal, we had $8M in cap space. Currently, there are 4 teams left in the playoffs. They have a cumulative $189k in cap space to spare amongst them, and it all belongs to Dallas. Florida somehow managed to sign Bob for $10, retain their star former #1 OA in Ekblad for 7.5 and still have room to give Barkov 10, Tkachuk 9.5, Reinhardt 6.5, Holmqvist 5.5, etc. At any point in Price's tenure here, signing one, let alone multiple of those guys would've been transformational. They weren't even planning to be a cup contender this year!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

My God this post is so bad.

We went TWO years with 8 or 9 mil in open cap space. So... no, his salary didn't stop us from anything.

Stop making excuses for a mgmt group who drove this franchise into the ground. The only reason we made the finals at all was because of Price.

Not only that but up until he retired he was the only player making ten mil to have passed the first round on mutliple occassions. To this date he's the only ten million dollar player to have made the finals. And he was easily our best player in that run as well. For years we put a bunch of clowns in front of him and he still dominated in the postseason. We wasted a decade of having the best goalie in the league. A guy who was an automatic win if we scored three goals or more in the playoffs and you want to bitch about his salary? Brutal post.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Troll.............LOL

We left cap unused for years, after Price signed his deal. Clown GM work there.....
Your take, is the laughable one...........
Haters gonna hate!! LOL

Next thing you will try to tell us, is Drouin is a good player!! LOLOLOLOL
Paying a star player 10 mil is no biggie. Esp if he's your best player in the playoffs - which Price consistently was for us. And he also consistently beat better teams over the course of his career here as well. That's worth its weight in gold.

What kills you is the expensive contracts to bums who don't do anything for you at all. Drouin is a good example there. Or look at what Marner's doing to Toronto - 11 million is fine for a guy who's close to 100 points. But it's not fine if he doesn't show up in the postseason.

Not to mention the 8 or 9 mil in OPEN caps space we had for two f***ing years! :laugh: But yeah, Price's salary was why we couldn't get players. Had nothing to do with a GM who thought dumpster diving was the way to build a team.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Playing a star player 10 mil is no biggie. Esp if he's your best player in the playoffs - which Price consistently was for us. And he also consistently beat better teams over the course of his career here as well. That's worth its weight in gold.

What kills you is the expensive contracts to bums who don't do anything for you at all. Drouin is a good example there. Or look at what Marner's doing to Toronto - 11 million is fine for a guy who's close to 100 points. But it's not fine if he doesn't show up in the postseason.

Not to mention the 8 or 9 mil in OPEN caps space we had for two f***ing years! :laugh: But yeah, Price's salary was why we couldn't get players. Had nothing to do with a GM who thought dumpster diving was the way to build a team.
Well said.

My God this post is so bad.

We went TWO years with 8 or 9 mil in open cap space. So... no, his salary didn't stop us from anything.

Stop making excuses for a mgmt group who drove this franchise into the ground. The only reason we made the finals at all was because of Price.

Not only that but up until he retired he was the only player making ten mil to have passed the first round on mutliple occassions. We put a bunch of clowns in front of him and he still dominated in the postseason. We wasted a decade of having the best goalie in the league. A guy who was an automatic win if we scored three goals or more in the playoffs and you want to bitch about his salary? Brutal post.
Haters gonna hate eh....

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad