Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Something about being allowed to be 10% over the cap during the offseason, when Price's contract goes back on the books?
His deal never hurt our situation, and still doesn't now. As HuGo gets our cap situation straitened out, yes there are some deals that have to be handed out.
Unlike TO our best players should come in around 8M and not 11M so that is a good situation.
His contract will hurt our flexibility and his salary with signing bonuses will likely make him untradeable but hopefully it doesn’t matter much the next 2 seasons. The last year of the contract, we can pay the signing bonus on July 1st and and trade him as a cap transaction after.

Reactions: BLONG7

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Something about being allowed to be 10% over the cap during the offseason, when Price's contract goes back on the books?
His deal never hurt our situation, and still doesn't now. As HuGo gets our cap situation straitened out, yes there are some deals that have to be handed out.
Unlike TO our best players should come in around 8M and not 11M so that is a good situation.

It's not an issue with Price contract, since it will never go back on the books.

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?​

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

The only real issue with Price's contract is the potential cap recapture from performance bonuses, those need to be earned to become an issue tho.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's not an issue with Price contract, since it will never go back on the books.

The only real issue with Price's contract is the potential cap recapture from performance bonuses, those need to be earned to become an issue tho.
His contract is made up almost entirely of signing bonuses. There are no performance bonuses from my understanding.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
His contract is made up almost entirely of signing bonuses. There are no performance bonuses from my understanding.

Price's bonus don't come into play for that. It's the perf bonuses from all the other contracts the Habs have. Since the team don't accumulate cap space during the season, they could potentially get hit by cap recapture to pay off the bonuses that went over the cap.

It's still manageable because the calculation is lagging behind by one year, like the bonuses earned during the 2022-23 season would recapured on the 2023-24 cap space and so on.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Ultimately, what was the reason for his LTI retirement? He stepped away after the 21 run for non injury related issues and never returned.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Ultimately, what was the reason for his LTI retirement? He stepped away after the 21 run for non injury related issues and never returned.

He got a knee surgery after the 21 run and the knee never recovered. To come back he would need additional surgeries with low chance of success and possible adverse effects on his daily quality of life (cartilage repair).

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Thank you.
For more context the gist of the public information is that the 2021 surgery was successful in that it repaired the knee and if Price were an average joe it would be a 100% success. He's able to walk and bike and golf and stuff with no problem, and in terms of his hockey rehab everything off-ice is going well and he can train in the gym at 100% intensity. The problem is he gets on the ice and all the movements inherent to goaltending put tons of stress on the knee (modern goaltending is an extremely unnatural and stressful movement on your hips and knees much like shoulders and elbows for pitchers in baseball) so it swells up and he has to ice it for 3 days before he can get on the ice again.

That basically precludes him from ever getting into game shape again as you can't really build goaltending stamina or get in a groove only skating twice a week and having to rest for 3 days in between. He's perpetually in "first week of training camp" shape and can't go beyond that. He needs another surgery to have a chance of playing hockey again, but the risk there is that it might impact his QOL for a limited probability of getting back in the NHL. They did some stem cell treatment and I think Price was pretty much just hoping for a miracle because another knee surgery would carry a lot of risks for his QOL beyond hockey.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The fact the only PPG player Price had was a aging Kovalev during his rookie year is really hard to think about. Bergevin never gave him the support he needed.
It is really depressing to look back and see how poorly the Canadiens have done over the last 25 yrs. Unable to put a team together for more than a season.

Reactions: donghabs98

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I don’t think anyone should bash Price, but the unfortunate reality is that injuries cost him. From the Kreider incident to the cup final where he was clearly playing hurt at the end, those two events possibly cost him getting his name on the cup. There was also the year where we lost to Boston in game 7 in OT with Pacioretty injured. Had Pacioretty not gotten hurt that was probably our best chance.

But here we are. In terms of his contract, any chance he retires, or is he just gonna continue to milk us for every last red cent?
How is he milking? He signed an offer from the team, he is entitled to it.

Reactions: zeeto

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For more context the gist of the public information is that the 2021 surgery was successful in that it repaired the knee and if Price were an average joe it would be a 100% success. He's able to walk and bike and golf and stuff with no problem, and in terms of his hockey rehab everything off-ice is going well and he can train in the gym at 100% intensity. The problem is he gets on the ice and all the movements inherent to goaltending put tons of stress on the knee (modern goaltending is an extremely unnatural and stressful movement on your hips and knees much like shoulders and elbows for pitchers in baseball) so it swells up and he has to ice it for 3 days before he can get on the ice again.

That basically precludes him from ever getting into game shape again as you can't really build goaltending stamina or get in a groove only skating twice a week and having to rest for 3 days in between. He's perpetually in "first week of training camp" shape and can't go beyond that. He needs another surgery to have a chance of playing hockey again, but the risk there is that it might impact his QOL for a limited probability of getting back in the NHL. They did some stem cell treatment and I think Price was pretty much just hoping for a miracle because another knee surgery would carry a lot of risks for his QOL beyond hockey.
I wouldn’t risk it. He’s 34 years old. Lots of life left. Imagine being 50 and needing a Walker. :laugh:

Reactions: JoelWarlord

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If you were injured on the job, I’m sure you’d be the first guy to walk away from a contract payout. “Don’t worry, I made enough money…”
He’s basically done nothing the last two years and made over 20 million in that span. I’d be quite content myself. Especially since he’s at/near retirement age anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s basically done nothing the last two years and made over 20 million in that span. I’d be quite content myself. Especially since he’s at/near retirement age anyway.
And?

That’s what happens when you get hurt on the job. He’s not hurting us cap space wise and even if he was we’re rebuilding.

Yet you continue to complain…

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
And?

That’s what happens when you get hurt on the job. He’s not hurting us cap space wise and even if he was we’re rebuilding.

Yet you continue to complain…
Lol, Carey is that you? Don’t worry buddy, you were really great at stopping pucks in your prime.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
But here we are. In terms of his contract, any chance he retires, or is he just gonna continue to milk us for every last red cent?
He's not milking us, or anybody in a way that matters. The Habs print money and have no trouble spending to the cap. Price is getting paid by the terms of the contract the Montreal Canadiens signed him to. Why on earth should Price walk away from that money after he was run into the ground by the Habs playing him 70 games a year for a decade to cover for mediocre team building on a discount contract?
Well I mean guys retire with contract left all the time, clearly Price should retire… he’s made enough money
No, they don't actually. The vast majority of NHL players stay on LTIR until their contracts end. Luongo is one of the few that have ever done it because he decided to retire a year early and gave up like 1.5M in salary to start working in the Panthers front office right away. It is very rare that players walk away from millions of dollars arbitrarily.

It makes absolutely no difference to the product the Habs can put on the ice today, I don't see a reason why a fan should want him to walk away from over 20 million just because.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You get hurt on the job, the LTIR, Insurance however that works, pays you. Yes he has made a ton of money playing hockey, all deserved.
No one walks away from 25M that is owed over the last 4 years of that contract......no one.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Well I mean guys retire with contract left all the time, clearly Price should retire… he’s made enough money
He should milk the team for every last cent because they offered him that contract, the Habs print money, and just in terms of marketing value, they’ve already recouped their investment several times over. Plus, this is the last big contract he’s ever going to have in his life, so make the absolute most of it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You get hurt on the job, the LTIR, Insurance however that works, pays you. Yes he has made a ton of money playing hockey, all deserved.
No one walks away from 25M that is owed over the last 4 years of that contract......no one.

Some people have walked away from more than that, but i get what you mean.

One example is Dave Chappelle.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t think anyone should bash Price, but the unfortunate reality is that injuries cost him. From the Kreider incident to the cup final where he was clearly playing hurt at the end, those two events possibly cost him getting his name on the cup. There was also the year where we lost to Boston in game 7 in OT with Pacioretty injured. Had Pacioretty not gotten hurt that was probably our best chance.

Which member of the Molson family are you representing?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Has there been any recent official news on Price?

Is he still trying to re-hab/get healthy? I know it's a bit tricky with LITR where you can't always be fully transparent with injuries - but is there even a tiny chance he would come back? Or is it all but 100% confirmed he's fully done?

I realize it was at least ~95-99% unlikely he would return previously - so I'm not delusional - just wondering if I missed any news over the past few months that hints at it being 100%.

All through 21-22 seaosn he was trying to rehab, and eventually did play a few games, but radio silence ever since.

I'm trying to look up news online, but it's hard to find anything official.

I think Hughes before the start of last season declared Price wouldn't play all year right? Was that the last official news?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Has there been any recent official news on Price?

Is he still trying to re-hab/get healthy? I know it's a bit tricky with LITR where you can't always be fully transparent with injuries - but is there even a tiny chance he would come back? Or is it all but 100% confirmed he's fully done?

I realize it was at least ~95-99% unlikely he would return previously - so I'm not delusional - just wondering if I missed any news over the past few months that hints at it being 100%.

All through 21-22 seaosn he was trying to rehab, and eventually did play a few games, but radio silence ever since.

I'm trying to look up news online, but it's hard to find anything official.

I think Hughes before the start of last season declared Price wouldn't play all year right? Was that the last official news?
He sell his house in MTL and he moved to BC.

He's retired

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad