Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He sell his house in MTL and he moved to BC.

He's retired

I know of him selling his house. But that's nothing official in regards to his status.

He's from BC, it makes sense he'd go back there eventually. Retired or not, it will be 2 full years he's not actively playing, he's rich enough to afford to move back home, and should circumstances change, buy a house again in Montreal.

More curious about team announcements/news/updates. Has there been anything at all since the start of last season?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I know of him selling his house. But that's nothing official in regards to his status.

He's from BC, it makes sense he'd go back there eventually. Retired or not, it will be 2 full years he's not actively playing, he's rich enough to afford to move back home, and should circumstances change, buy a house again in Montreal.

More curious about team announcements/news/updates. Has there been anything at all since the start of last season?
Team can't announce anything same with Price.

He would't move to BC and sell his house in MTL if he planned to return

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Has there been any recent official news on Price?

Is he still trying to re-hab/get healthy? I know it's a bit tricky with LITR where you can't always be fully transparent with injuries - but is there even a tiny chance he would come back? Or is it all but 100% confirmed he's fully done?

I realize it was at least ~95-99% unlikely he would return previously - so I'm not delusional - just wondering if I missed any news over the past few months that hints at it being 100%.

All through 21-22 seaosn he was trying to rehab, and eventually did play a few games, but radio silence ever since.

I'm trying to look up news online, but it's hard to find anything official.

I think Hughes before the start of last season declared Price wouldn't play all year right? Was that the last official news?
they cant announce anything because hes on LTIR but hes retired and not coming back hes been living in BC where they built a big house for the family

Sucks he had to retire early but hes knees were done and he needs to think about hes future with hes family same thing with Weber he never retired but everyone knows hes not coming back

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
I appreciate his loyalty to Montreal, but I am still surprised he signed that long term deal.

He must have known his chances of winning a cup here were slim, especially with MB in charge,

I thought he would go elsewhere for better chances of winning a cup,

Kind of a waste of a career, but maybe his money makes him happy?

1615291334289.png

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I appreciate his loyalty to Montreal, but I am still surprised he signed that long term deal.

He must have known his chances of winning a cup here were slim, especially with MB in charge,

View attachment 721062
He would have got that money anywhere else

He just wanted to play here

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

View attachment 721062
It’s called loyalty… Price always said Habs are only team he’d play for. He was going to get paid on the open market just as Vasilevsky & Bobrovsky did

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’s called loyalty… Price always said Habs are only team he’d play for. He was going to get paid on the open market just as Vasilevsky & Bobrovsky did
The team the previous 5 seasons to him signing that extension had finished at the top of the standings every year and looked to only be a few pieces away from really competing for a cup. I don’t think anyone forecasted the team being burnt to the ground in the summer of 2017 and never really recovering from it.

Reactions: zeeto and BLONG7

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017

View attachment 721062
He went to the finals which is something few guys do these days in a 32 league. I know, I know, we had no real chance against Tampa, it doesn’t count, COVID season, blah blah blah. None of that stuff is real in the minds of these guys at all.

The team the previous 5 seasons to him signing that extension had finished at the top of the standings every year and looked to only be a few pieces away from really competing for a cup. I don’t think anyone forecasted the team being burnt to the ground in the summer of 2017 and never really recovering from it.
Bergevins ego and stubbornness ended up destroying the team that summer unfortunately

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
He went to the finals which is something few guys do these days in a 32 league. I know, I know, we had no real chance against Tampa, it doesn’t count, COVID season, blah blah blah. None of that stuff is real in the minds of these guys at all.

Close doesn't mean anything in hockey, hitting the goal post doesn't count for anything,

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
the one thing that keeps coming up as I read about this kid is his. unwavering composure. that was one of Price’s many talents.

I would argue that Price's composure was a myth, there is and always has been some weird disconnect with him that people mistake for composure. He was terrible for his final 5 seasons with glimpses of his talent. He was huge in the Cup Finals run but was largely to blame for almost missing the playoffs. He rescued his 2018-19 season with an incredible finish after being the primary cause for sinking the season with an atrocious first half.

I will always have a soft spot for him as he was a legend at his peak but he mentally caved in too many times in his career including in the playoffs. What we saw on draft day was a glimpse of what has always been there. When things are going well he is able to disconnect from the pressure but the opposite happens when he is off and it has always been an ugly site.

Hopefully Carey finds peace and can enjoy life without the pressure that was/is too much for him to handle. He seems like a very kind introverted person who was appallingly shoved into the spotlight and the coping mechanism that most of us mistook for composure was breaking down for the world to see. My heart went out to him in Nashville and hopefully the organization will just allow him to fade into obscurity with his family where he is more comfortable and at ease with the world.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I would argue that Price's composure was a myth, there is and always has been some weird disconnect with him that people mistake for composure. He was terrible for his final 5 seasons with glimpses of his talent. He was huge in the Cup Finals run but was largely to blame for almost missing the playoffs. He rescued his 2018-19 season with an incredible finish after being the primary cause for sinking the season with an atrocious first half.

I will always have a soft spot for him as he was a legend at his peak but he mentally caved in too many times in his career including in the playoffs. What we saw on draft day was a glimpse of what has always been there. When things are going well he is able to disconnect from the pressure but the opposite happens when he is off and it has always been an ugly site.

Hopefully Carey finds peace and can enjoy life without the pressure that was/is too much for him to handle. He seems like a very kind introverted person who was appallingly shoved into the spotlight and the coping mechanism that most of us mistook for composure was breaking down for the world to see. My heart went out to him in Nashville and hopefully the organization will just allow him to fade into obscurity with his family where he is more comfortable and at ease with the world.
It’s tough to look at Price and not recognize the “PTSD” he must’ve carried for all those years as our best player surrounded by the dysfunctional losers who called themselves coach’s & management…..he should have pulled a Patrick Roy and punched out Therrien, Bergy & co.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It’s tough to look at Price and not recognize the “PTSD” he must’ve carried for all those years as our best player surrounded by the dysfunctional losers who called themselves coach’s & management…..he should have pulled a Patrick Roy and punched out Therrien, Bergy & co.

The notion he was anything less than stellar in the play-offs after he established himself is pretty weird, too. He had one bad play-off series after where he was playing very hurt against Sens, so bad that I think Budaj finished the series.

1689041366737.png

Goes .934 and loses in 7 round 1 lmfao
Goes .933 and loses in 6 in round 1 lmfao
Goes .936 and sub 2.00 GAA and is out in round 2 lmfao

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Been talk on 690 on retiring his number. To me he never won a Cup. I think that is perquisite to having your number in the rafters
Yes and no.

Winning the cup usually means you're good, but it's a good team that wins.

If you're a dominant player to the point where you're best at your position and one of the best in the league, I think that qualifies.

Though, honestly I'd honour his number and then let people use it again after like 3, or 5 years.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Been talk on 690 on retiring his number. To me he never won a Cup. I think that is perquisite to having your number in the rafters

The goalies up there right now are a very high bar. It's too bad his career got shortened but you can't hold the cups against him.

If Mario never won with the crap Pittsburgh teams in the 80s, and Wayne never won after leaving the stacked oiler team, how on earth can we expect anyone else to do it on their own?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs during a 10-12 year period without Price were a minor league team, getting minor league results......he carried them for years, when they were god awful hockey teams.
He is the winningest goalie in the Habs history. Crazy..........

Bad timing for him we had a GM who used DD as a #1 centre, and other years sat on 8-9 M in cap space without even trying to get a #1 C................
Our Cup run doesn't happen without Price knocking out the Leafs. His run support in his career was awful.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He did everything but win the cup. For a brief period he was arguably the most valuable player in the league. Injuries came at the worst time and hampered his legacy. 2014, nobody will convince me that we don’t at least make the finals if he’s not run. 2016 he was on his way to back to back Hart trophies before getting hurt. Great goalie and he was even better in the playoffs. At least four huge playoff upset victories…

The sad thing is that in a 32 team league, more and more superstars will retire without cups. I don’t think he should be penalized for this, especially when his number one center was Desharnais.

I understand where people are coming from saying that a cup is mandatory but I don’t agree. I do agree however that a HOF career is mandatory and there’s no doubt Price will be there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He did everything but win the cup. For a brief period he was arguably the most valuable player in the league. Injuries came at the worst time and hampered his legacy. 2014, nobody will convince me that we don’t at least make the finals if he’s not run. 2016 he was on his way to back to back Hart trophies before getting hurt. Great goalie and he was even better in the playoffs. At least four huge playoff upset victories…

The sad thing is that in a 32 team league, more and more superstars will retire without cups. I don’t think he should be penalized for this, especially when his number one center was Desharnais.

I understand where people are coming from saying that a cup is mandatory but I don’t agree. I do agree however that a HOF career is mandatory and there’s no doubt Price will be there.
He'd be only number up there without a Cup.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He'd be only number up there without a Cup.

Better get used it. The times, they are a-changing.

It was a different MO for a different time.

Also, it's completely unfair to modern players. They aren't playing in a 6 or 12 teams league where right off the bat, you have a 1/6 or 1/12 chance of winning it. They aren't playing in a league that is almost exclusively Canadien either, where they had an upperhand in scouting. They aren't playing in a league without a cap and without free agency.

Let go of the past

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad