Value of: Carey Price brokered to Colorado or Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I agree on 1). In fact, it's just a basic assumption in my thinking since no one would trade for him otherwise.

2) though I disagree with. Habs need to get going on a rebuild, keeping Price around means pressure to win now, means less ice time for developing another goalie, or setting up a good tandem. I'd like to see what Allen and Primeau together could do, after this season with a lot of AHL games for Primeau. Also, without getting a bundle in return it would give the Habs a couple of assets to work on and give ice time to. Also, there's no reason to think Price would make this a playoff team, even next season if everything worked out well. The team just lost 2 big pieces in Danault and Weber, so it's a good time to rollover into a rebuild mode. Veterans who want to win over a short window still open aren't a good fit.
The reason I believe Montreal shouldn't trade Price now is only due to value. Right now he is a gamble. Nobody knows if he is any good anymore. So nobody will offer anything. Nearly negative value isn't the time to move a player that could be a game breaker for another team. Let him recover and come back and hope he plays well. It will increase his valie drastically. Then move him.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Has any team other then the team the current player plays for ever retained that much salary for that long?

Pretty sure the answer is no. If a team even entertains it they are admitting they arent competing for 5 years and while that is doubtful the cost would be ridiculous.

Everything has a price. I'm sure it could be done, but would cost a LOT.

The thing is, a healthy (big if) Carey Price at 50% fits on a whole lot of teams that desperately need solid goaltending, even moreso playoff goaltending.
If I was in Montreal's GM shoes, I might even consider retaining 50% myself and add the middleman only if it helps the deal get done (depends on recapture penalty though).

5M for 5 years is a long time but imo a goalie at 5-6M + the futures that would be received would be worth more to Montreal in the long run than Carey Price at 10M and would block around the same on the cap. Montreal is going nowhere in the next few years, and there's no superstar to sign or anything really...

And keeping Price around just locks that goalie position, immobilizing Montreal's ability to look for a decent replacement for the future.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Price is a gamer but goalies just don't hold the kind of value the Habs and their fans would want in return.

If you are trading Price, it's because you are doing him a favour by letting him go and try and win a Cup not because you want to maximize his value because no one is giving a lot for a 34 year old Price.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The cost of the retention needed to bring Price down to a reasonable cap hit is going to make him so expensive to acquire that it becomes very difficult to justify. And that's before you factor in that Price's SV% is only a 0.909 over the last 4 regular seasons, comparable to guys like Dubnyk, Koskinen, Hill and Bernier.

Reactions: TFHockey

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Honestly, the Canadiens will need to hang onto Price for another couple seasons. They would have to retain too much for another team to even entertain trading for him - because only true playoff teams would be interested and due to the flat cap, most of those teams don't have the cap space to take him on for 4 years (even retained).

If you hang on to him for a couple years and he comes back with a healthy mind and refreshed mindset on his career... and he shows well then you might have someone pay some decent assets for the final 2 years of his contract (retained) and the Canadiens would only have to retain for a couple years.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If I'm the Oilers I'd rather have Price at 4-5 million then whatever they are paying Smith

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Who is this Smith guy yr talking about does he play for Edmonton?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Who knows but if i'm todays Oilers. I'd rather be going into a cup run with a 5.6 mil Price than the 4.5 mil Koskinen. I believe that the Oilers/Avs are on the verge of giving Tampa a run for their money. If Price is the missing piece than he should be worth it to /Owner/Management and fans.
If giving up a little for that cup isn't worth it , Then i'm fine with either team being a bridesmaid till they run out of being a true contender.
When you have a good shot at the cup, go for it because Cups don't come easily and your shot can suddenly be gone.
Just ask the Sharks. A true contender but missing a piece.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trade Price for a garbage return and retain 50%? Then pay 5 million for a middle of the road starter? In what world would that make sense. Why does that even squeeze into any brain as a viable strategy for a trade?

Either there is a good return or nothing. Habs simply keep him and draft/trade for future starter.

Go back to NHL2000....

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If I'm the Oilers I'd rather have Price at 4-5 million then whatever they are paying Smith

Buuuuuttttt...the oilers have to give to get. Which oiler fans seem adverse too.

All these threads devolve into who is going to rip-off the other guy. The more the marrier.

Would Habs trade Price? Sure, for a substantial return because if we retain 50% and have to pay 5 million for a middle of the road or less goalie then that's pure nonsense.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Buuuuuttttt...the oilers have to give to get. Which oiler fans seem adverse too.

All these threads devolve into who is going to rip-off the other guy. The more the marrier.

Would Habs trade Price? Sure, for a substantial return because if we retain 50% and have to pay 5 million for a middle of the road or less goalie then that's pure nonsense.
Yes the deal would have to be good. We have no pressure because we will be going into a rebuild. Teams that are true cup contenders should be trying to do everything to win.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Price's save % is worst then Koskinen's 2 of the last 3 year . Everyone bashes Koskinen and yet Price has been worst ....Let that Sink in ......Koskinen’s previous three seasons: 56-47-9 with a .908sv% and 2.92 GAA in 6546 minutes. I am not comparing the 2 but rather pointing out that at 10.5 M cap hit you would expect him number to blow away a goalie that Edmonton has tried to move on from

I guess in your bubble never seen the Habs play in the regular season the last few years.

They raised their game to nuclear level in the playoffs but during the season? It's not there. So comparing regular season Habs and Oilers is a non starter.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yes the deal would have to be good. We have no pressure because we will be going into a rebuild. Teams that are true cup contenders should be trying to do everything to win.

You're right. Which is why adding the absolute worst contract in the entire league would be the complete opposite of trying to win :laugh:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

On any given day one has to keep a bottle of laughing gas to read some "thoughts". From Hab fans trading their favorite whipping mule for used pucks or blind hope to fans suggesting trades that resemble hockey card trades we did when we were 6.

I get that we are on a fan sight but a bit of reality and context would go a long way....

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Most likely if the Habs trade Price at most will be able to retain $3 mil.

meaning Price will be a $7 mil per season goalie for next 4 years.

the price of retaining $12 mil will properly include a first round pick and top prospect and cap going back to Montreal.

Edmonton I see Broberg, a first and anyone Edmonton wants to dump.

for Colorado I see a Byram first and anyone cap dump.

Price at 80% on a team like Colorado will probably win you a Cup.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

the price of retaining $12 mil will properly include a first round pick and top prospect and cap going back to Montreal.

Anyone but Colorado. I couldn't stand to see them win more Cups on the strength of another one of our all-time greats.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

... and I can tell you with 100% certainty the Canadiens are not landing a Byram/Broberg for Price, even at 50% retention... that's why Price is untradeable.

No teams care how much you have to retain to make Price a tradeable asset... that's on the Canadiens for agreeing to that contract.

If Price is healthy and playing like a top 10 goalie in the NHL, then that's something different. He is not healthy and his stats from the past few years does not scream top 10 goalie. He had a strong 22 games in last years playoffs and that's what Canadien fans are clinging to, to set a value on him. Oh, and he's 34 years old with 4+ years left on this contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trooth and katfude

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who knows but if i'm todays Oilers. I'd rather be going into a cup run with a 5.6 mil Price than the 4.5 mil Koskinen. I believe that the Oilers/Avs are on the verge of giving Tampa a run for their money. If Price is the missing piece than he should be worth it to /Owner/Management and fans.
If giving up a little for that cup isn't worth it , Then i'm fine with either team being a bridesmaid till they run out of being a true contender.
When you have a good shot at the cup, go for it because Cups don't come easily and your shot can suddenly be gone.
Just ask the Sharks. A true contender but missing a piece.
As an Oiler fan I'd rather go after the cup with Price than Koskinen as well. But the issue is the length of the contract and Price's age.

Reactions: Trooth

Trooth

Dec 5, 2021
Price's contract is not tradeable.

You would have to retain 50% to even make him tradeable without the Canadiens needing adding assets for someone to take him... and the Canadiens are not going to do that.

He's 34, he's not healthy and one good playoff in the last 3 years does not make him a sought after commodity.

Trooth

Dec 5, 2021

Byram or Broberg? You can't be serious.

Reactions: Linds and Zandar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad