Value of: Carey Price brokered to Colorado or Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Given Fleury is still decent at 37. Even Mike Smith at 39 though out at the moment still decent in net. We are talking about a premier goalie in Price he will be solid for awhile to come.

I think the best bet is to try to broker a trade where the 3rd team takes minimal cap for assets while the Habs done eat the full 5mill in cap to move him.
I'm pretty sure retention is up to a maximum of 50%. If Habs eat 50%, there's nothing more to be retained. And on a 4 year deal it's hard to imagine the assets a team would want to retain for that amount of time (taking into account it freezes a retention slot. That's 4 deadline deals with retention that can't be made).

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Huh? What are you talking about? Price is unmovable unless the Habs retain. No one can take on that contract, certainly no one in these trade proposals.

Goalies don't often age well after 34. Their play drops off.

Expecting the Habs to magically turn things around, when Weber is out for good, Petry is falling apart, Price is in rehab... you are selling Montreal fans a bill of goods.

Not sure what you are going on about. I realize he will be hard to move….hot take there pal. Again…. it would be stupid for Montreal to retain large. They need 2 goalies - hopefully you are still following - so why pay retention + goalie 1 + goalie 2 for what would be net worse goaltending unless the return is outstanding?

Shorter: he is worth more to Montreal then any likely return.

And Belfour, Brodeur, Hasek, Thompson , Luongo and
many other HOF goalies disagree with your take on 34+

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure retention is up to a maximum of 50%. If Habs eat 50%, there's nothing more to be retained. And on a 4 year deal it's hard to imagine the assets a team would want to retain for that amount of time (taking into account it freezes a retention slot. That's 4 deadline deals with retention that can't be made).
The 3rd team broker retains up to 50% of whatever balance is coming to them.

It's how Savard got to Tampa last year at 75% retained and foligno to Toronto at 75% retained.

If Montreal retained 35%. The broker gets the cap hit at 35% retained and can elect to retain up to 50% of the already retained amount from Montreal before getting him to Colorado or Edmonton.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The 3rd team broker retains up to 50% of whatever balance is coming to them.

It's how Savard got to Tampa last year at 75% retained and foligno to Toronto at 75% retained.

If Montreal retained 35%. The broker gets the cap hit at 35% retained and can elect to retain up to 50% of the already retained amount from Montreal before getting him to Colorado or Edmonton.
Thanks for the explanation. I was pretty sure, but I was also wrong...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He was playing on the same team that went to the finals! It's the exact same year!

I couldn't bother to commit to a discussion with you if you truly believe that Price is unquestionably a sub 3.00 GAA goaltender based on an unexpected playoff run.

Nothing that happened on that playoff run was sustainable. I tried to tell you guys that over the summer.

Price? He might bounce back to a certain point, but you'll never see a competitive team take that kind of chance by paying that kind of price to find out.

I think he retires in Montreal.

Are you serious? Do you realize Price has been performing phenomenally in the playoffs for a long time? Its not just a last-year thing.

In his last 56 playoff games, he has 0.927 Sv% and 2.12 GAA. Both are good for 2nd in the NHL among goalies having played 20+ games.

upload_2021-12-4_20-9-17.png

H'es even better in elimination games

Not surprisingly he's also great in International Tournaments
upload_2021-12-4_20-33-56.png

It's really a joke if you don't think Price is a big-time player and would drastically boost the cup chance of any team.

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-4_20-7-43.png
    upload_2021-12-4_20-7-43.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: japhi

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you serious? Do you realize Price has been performing phenomenally in the playoffs for a long time? Its not just a last-year thing.

In his last 56 playoff games, he has 0.927 Sv% and 2.12 GAA. Both are good for 2nd in the NHL among goalies having played 20+ games.

View attachment 487252

H'es even better in elimination games

Not surprisingly he's also great in International Tournaments
View attachment 487266

It's really a joke if you don't think Price is a big-time player and would drastically boost the cup chance of any team.

It's really a joke that you think his stats in 2014 somehow tell the story of how he'll perform in his mid-to-late 30s with a bum knee.

He's had a great career. But there's a very good chance his best years are behind him.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I dont want any part of Price as an Oilers fan. I shouldnt say that... I would only be interested if he was heavily retained and we gave up pretty much nothing to get him

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's really a joke that you think his stats in 2014 somehow tell the story of how he'll perform in his mid-to-late 30s with a bum knee.

He's had a great career. But there's a very good chance his best years are behind him.

He's literally just coming off his most successful playoff run at 33

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Given Fleury is still decent at 37. Even Mike Smith at 39 though out at the moment still decent in net. We are talking about a premier goalie in Price he will be solid for awhile to come.

I think the best bet is to try to broker a trade where the 3rd team takes minimal cap for assets while the Habs done eat the full 5mill in cap to move him.
I think the price you'd have to pay to convince a third team to take on five years of dead cap is so high it doesn't make much sense. You'd be talking a 1st+(+) just to bring that third team in, nevermind what Montreal would also want on top of that. I think others have kinda already covered that.

I think Montreal can definitely move Price if they're willing to bring his cap hit down into something that starts with a 6. E.g. if they'll retain 35%, Price would remain the fourth highest paid goalie in the league but suddenly sits just above Gibson, Hellebuyck, Markstrom, etc. Still not a bargain contract, especially given Price's age relative to the other goalies who have similar term left while earning 6+ million, but at least he would be within the range of other goalies then and more manageable for clubs to fit within their cap structure. I think Montreal could get a decent but not spectacular return if they retain ~35%. Ultimately it all comes down to whether Montreal rebuilds, whether they want a fresh start, and whether Price actually wants to stick around for a rebuild or whether he'd be discontent.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He's literally coming off a knee injury at 34.

He played with that knee injury in the playoffs.
Also, Price will obviously play games with the habs before a trade happens, which would eliminate the concerns regarding his injury.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Price's save % is worst then Koskinen's 2 of the last 3 year . Everyone bashes Koskinen and yet Price has been worst ....Let that Sink in ......Koskinen’s previous three seasons: 56-47-9 with a .908sv% and 2.92 GAA in 6546 minutes. I am not comparing the 2 but rather pointing out that at 10.5 M cap hit you would expect him number to blow away a goalie that Edmonton has tried to move on from

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He played with that knee injury in the playoffs.
Also, Price will obviously play games with the habs before a trade happens, which would eliminate the concerns regarding his injury.
He'll play plenty of games with Habs before he retires. They won't necessarily help his stats.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not sure what you are going on about. I realize he will be hard to move….hot take there pal. Again…. it would be stupid for Montreal to retain large. They need 2 goalies - hopefully you are still following - so why pay retention + goalie 1 + goalie 2 for what would be net worse goaltending unless the return is outstanding?

Shorter: he is worth more to Montreal then any likely return.

And Belfour, Brodeur, Hasek, Thompson , Luongo and
many other HOF goalies disagree with your take on 34+

Spare my your sarcastic comments. You're being a dick for no reason.

No return for Price is going to be outstanding. His age, numbers and contract have seen to that. Why would Montreal consider moving him? It should be obvious; to retool and gain cap space. Can they? I doubt it.

As for his play at 34 and moving forward: maybe you are focused on the last playoffs playoffs. Fair enough, it was a big post season for the franchise. You are probably glossing over Prices' regular season last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. For the past four years his regular season GAA and SV% have been below average for a starting goaltender. But you see him being a top goalie for the next few years?

The Oilers shouldn't make a deal for Price. Also, if you bothered to read anything I've posted on the subject I said it would be nuts for Montreal to retain 50% of his contract for the remaining five years. It's a dumb idea to suggest trading him to Edmonton.

Anyway I am done talking about this.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My response to every Price trade proposal:

1) No team is trading anything for Price until they see how he plays after his surgery and rehab. There is no way GMs are gambling on a contract that big and long until they see what they are bidding on.

2) If Montreal wants to trade Price, they shouldn't trade him until he shows he can still play. If he can play, there is no good reason to trade him.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Price and Lundqvist are prime examples of not giving masssive contracts well into their late 30’s. Once you’re at 35 the decline is strong. I’m happy the Rangers gave Shesty 4 years at first. He’ll be a UFA at 29 but him being injure prone with his groin can be a problem. Long term goalies are never the answer. Especially that most SCF winners rarely are Vezina winners.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
My response to every Price trade proposal:

1) No team is trading anything for Price until they see how he plays after his surgery and rehab. There is no way GMs are gambling on a contract that big and long until they see what they are bidding on.

2) If Montreal wants to trade Price, they shouldn't trade him until he shows he can still play. If he can play, there is no good reason to trade him.
I agree on 1). In fact, it's just a basic assumption in my thinking since no one would trade for him otherwise.

2) though I disagree with. Habs need to get going on a rebuild, keeping Price around means pressure to win now, means less ice time for developing another goalie, or setting up a good tandem. I'd like to see what Allen and Primeau together could do, after this season with a lot of AHL games for Primeau. Also, without getting a bundle in return it would give the Habs a couple of assets to work on and give ice time to. Also, there's no reason to think Price would make this a playoff team, even next season if everything worked out well. The team just lost 2 big pieces in Danault and Weber, so it's a good time to rollover into a rebuild mode. Veterans who want to win over a short window still open aren't a good fit.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The guy is 34 and pretty beat up and just had to deal with addiction issues.

That being said, a strong Olympic showing (even in just a game or two since I doubt he'll start) might give him some value.
Who do you think starts?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Most elite goalies do well all the way into their mid-late 30s. Can't be sure Price will, he dealt with injuries in his career. But the trend is there contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't see Price going anywhere. There is a human side to this a lot of people are not considering. He's been battling very personal mental demons and also has a family. The last thing I'm sure he's interested in at this stage of his life and hockey career is uprooting his family and moving them or leaving them behind. Throw in his contract and I'm of the opinion that Price will be a HAB until he retires or bought out. He's not waiving his NMC to be traded. That's for sure.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I don't see Price going anywhere. There is a human side to this a lot of people are not considering. He's been battling very personal mental demons and also has a family. The last thing I'm sure he's interested in at this stage of his life and hockey career is uprooting his family and moving them or leaving them behind. Throw in his contract and I'm of the opinion that Price will be a HAB until he retires or bought out. He's not waiving his NMC to be traded. That's for sure.
He waived it for the expansion, where there was a long discussion in Seattle about taking him Francis said.

I just think Price deserves a chance at a cup. Gorton said he was going to assess the team and figure out the direction. Based on him talking about preparing and developing young players multiple times in his presser. I believe a rebuild is coming. Not saying Price won't be loyal and just play. Just I think the organization should try to give him the opportunity at a cup. It won't be in Montreal and they know it.

Moving him is an entire different thing but I think both sides could get something to work.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
As one Avs fan (I say one because we don't share the same brain). I'd consider this:

Girard + Jost + Compher

for

Price 50% retained + Guhle + Lehkonen + Chiarot
Habs easily pass. Lower the retention and take out Guhle and it becomes more realistic .

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It's points like this that make discussions exhausting in the internet era. 13th highest (10th actually) at 50% of his current salary is still ridiculously high for a player with many years left on his contract and his best years behind him in all likelihood.

You're glossing over the actual argument to point out something completely meaningless. Stop doing that.
Not 10th He's be 11th.Price at 5.25 would get a pretty good return.,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad