Value of: Carey Price brokered to Colorado or Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's points like this that make discussions exhausting in the internet era. 13th highest at 50% of his current salary is still ridiculously high for a player with many years left on his contract and his best years behind him in all likelihood.

You're glossing over the actual argument to point out something completely meaningless. Stop doing that.

5.25 M x 4 years for an elite goalie that just led his team to the finals is ridiculously high? o_O

There are plenty of example of goalies playing well past the age of 34. So age is not a big issue.
If he was UFA this summer, there are teams that would easily give him that contract.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
How do those trades look in hindsight?

Goaltenders stand out more when their expectations are low. Their value stands out because they're exceeding the expectations that are based heavily on what the team puts in.

Kuemper was valuable in Arizona because he was under-the-radar. They acquired him for Rieder and Wedgewood. He was found money.
It's way too early to judge Kuemper imo.
Schneider gave NJ a good five years while they didn't have a team in front of him. Horvat turned out better then most player picked where he was.
1st goalies are almost never traded and when they are it's mostly 1B guys, or younger guys with potential still unproven and stuck behind a real number 1.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
As one Avs fan (I say one because we don't share the same brain). I'd consider this:

Girard + Jost + Compher

for

Price 50% retained + Guhle + Lehkonen + Chiarot
How do we give up Price, retain half his salary and give up the youngest player in the trade?

Reactions: pth2

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
5.25 M x 4 years for an elite goalie that just led his team to the finals is ridiculously high? o_O

There are plenty of example of goalies playing well past the age of 34. So age is not a big issue.
If he was UFA this summer, there are teams that would easily give him that contract.
The problem is that he's not a UFA. To get to the $5.25m number, we're assuming it'd cost that team some pretty significant futures. And that's just to get Price, who again hasn't been that impressive in recent history.

0.901 and 0.909 aren't the stats of an 'elite goaltender'. They're slightly below average. And if you're talking averages, those numbers aren't likely to improve heading into his late 30s with what we can assume will be recurring knee injuries.

Even with the 'broker' the OP mentioned, you're only increasing the actual cost of the player by dropping his cap hit. And that really isn't the only concern.

Again, goalies are not worth this kind of trouble. If Montreal was adamant in moving Price, odds are they'd need to be the one sweetening the pot because that contract is immovable as it stands.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The problem is that he's not a UFA. To get to the $5.25m number, we're assuming it'd cost that team some pretty significant futures. And that's just to get Price, who again hasn't been that impressive in recent history.

0.901 and 0.909 aren't the stats of an 'elite goaltender'. They're slightly below average. And if you're talking averages, those numbers aren't likely to improve heading into his late 30s with what we can assume will be recurring knee injuries.

Even with the 'broker' the OP mentioned, you're only increasing the actual cost of the player by dropping his cap hit. And that really isn't the only concern.

Again, goalies are not worth this kind of trouble. If Montreal was adamant in moving Price, odds are they'd need to be the one sweetening the pot because that contract is immovable as it stands.

You're completely out to lunch if you think Price at 50% retention is immovable.
There are risks associated with acquiring it, but the potential reward easily makes it worth it.

Teams like Edmonton, Colorado, and Carolina would drastically increase their chance at a cup if they were to acquire Price.

Price's stats the last couple reg season are not great, but he was playing on a bad team. Put him on a good team, and those numbers will rocket up. The teams I mentioned earlier dont need Price to play like a top 3 goalie in the reg season to make the playoffs. They would make the playoffs with even an avg goalie. They just need Price to play in the playoffs like he usually does, which is elite.

The habs went 11-1 in the playoffs last year when scoring 3 or more goals. Score 3 goals in a playoff game and youre almost guaranteed to win it with Price in net. The teams I mentioned have the offense to score 3 regularly. The upside of acquiring Price is very high, which makes the potential downside to that contract (50% off) negligeable.

Anyways this is all a moot point since at this moment of time there are no indications that the habs are looking to move Price.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're completely out to lunch if you think Price at 50% retention is immovable.
There are risks associated with acquiring it, but the potential reward easily makes it worth it.

Teams like Edmonton, Colorado, and Carolina would drastically increase their chance at a cup if they were to acquire Price.

Price's stats the last couple reg season are not great, but he was playing on a bad team. Put him on a good team, and those numbers will rocket up. The teams I mentioned earlier dont need Price to play like a top 3 goalie in the reg season to make the playoffs. They would make the playoffs with even an avg goalie. They just need Price to play in the playoffs like he usually does, which is elite.

The habs went 11-1 in the playoffs last year when scoring 3 or more goals. Score 3 goals in a playoff game and youre almost guaranteed to win it with Price in net. The teams I mentioned have the offense to score 3 regularly. The upside of acquiring Price is very high, which makes the potential downside to that contract (50% off) negligeable.
He was playing on the same team that went to the finals! It's the exact same year!

I couldn't bother to commit to a discussion with you if you truly believe that Price is unquestionably a sub 3.00 GAA goaltender based on an unexpected playoff run.

Nothing that happened on that playoff run was sustainable. I tried to tell you guys that over the summer.

Price? He might bounce back to a certain point, but you'll never see a competitive team take that kind of chance by paying that kind of price to find out.

I think he retires in Montreal.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I don't see any way he's moved without him coming back and playing at least decently well for a dozen games or so.

In his current situation there's almost no point in speculating a trade until and if that happens.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Price fan, but what GM would take him when he hasn't even practiced in gear yet since returning from rehab?

Let's revisit this in a month or two when he has or hasn't made a triumphant return.

Reactions: GOilers88

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
If Price comes at 50% the return should be huge. If Habs takes a bad contract with that kind its a big meh

Goalies never get huge returns and while Price's ceiling is best goalie in the world, the last few years probably leave teams weary over how often they get that Price

1st and prospect is probably the best they can get

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Iam glad we are finally discussing something that I said months ago
There is no doubt Edmonton wants to improve in net but I still think its Gibson not price. Honestly dont think price moves this season but he is totally movable with some retention

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He was playing on the same team that went to the finals! It's the exact same year!

I couldn't bother to commit to a discussion with you if you truly believe that Price is unquestionably a sub 3.00 GAA goaltender based on an unexpected playoff run.

Nothing that happened on that playoff run was sustainable. I tried to tell you guys that over the summer.

Price? He might bounce back to a certain point, but you'll never see a competitive team take that kind of chance by paying that kind of price to find out.

I think he retires in Montreal.
Eh, to be honest I think I diverge with you a bit on this one. I'd take Price at 50% cap hit on the Avs in a heartbeat, to be honest. The end of that contract will probably suck, but it's probably worth it to go all-in for a cup for the next 2-3 years. The problem is Montreal will likely want something ridiculous for retaining 3-5.25 million for 5 seasons because from their perspective that's a big blow -- but from the acquiring team's perspective retaining 30-50% simply makes Price's contract go from absolutely horrendous to kinda palatable.

Even if Montreal retains 35%, for instance, the acquiring team is still getting a 34 year old with notable health concerns at 6.825 million for five years. I don't think any GM in the league is giving up top-end assets for that. In most cases when a team retains a lot of money on a contract that contract becomes a steal. In Price's case, his current contract is so bad Montreal retaining 3.675 million for 5 seasons still means Price has a pretty "meh" deal given how high his cap hit still is combined with the term on the contract along with the health concerns.

I really only see two scenarios. Either Montreal decides they're retooling but would rather keep Price at 10.5 and at least have a starting goaltender rather than no starting goaltender + between 3-5 million dead cap with an only decent return in a trade. OR they decide they want a clean break and want to start fresh for a retool and hopefully develop a young goalie to go with their emerging young core. In that case, Montreal accepts that they're going just going to have to take a hit on the Price trade. AKA that they're going to have to retain significant salary but, since Price's contract is currently so bad given his context (and indeed the context of the flat cap), they still won't get an elite return for it. Nobody is paying Montreal shiny assets just because Montreal is retaining -- teams only pay for what they are getting.

I'm guessing neither options really satisfies the Habs fans who think that retaining on Price should get them top young assets, but I just don't see it. Nor is there really any precedent, as far as I can tell, that indicates an aging goalie with health concerns with a big cap hit (somewhere between 6.5-7 million, lets says) gets top assets back. The closest I can think of is when the Canucks traded a 34 year old Robert Luongo who I think had 7? 8? years left at 5.3 million. The Canucks retained 15% to bring Luongo's salary to 4.5 million + accepted the pretty big risk of the recapture penalty should Luongo retire (which they ended up getting hit with, incidentally, since Luongo's contract was specifically structured to circumvent the cap by encouraging him to retire before it ended, since his final two seasons only paid him $1 million in real salary). Florida took on no risk of the recapture penalty in that acquisition and ended up with Luongo for 6 seasons -- and since Luongo's contract was structured for him to retire before the contract with no penalty to Florida, I think they kinda knew that going in.

So for Luongo at 4.5 million, which was 6.3% of the cap at that time I believe? Florida paid Shawn Matthias, a depth forward, and Jacob Markstrom, who a couple years prior to the trade had been considered a near-top goalie prospect but had really struggled in his first two sample sizes in the NHL. So what does Price, hypothetically at 6.825 (35% retained), which is still 8.3%? of the cap (someone please check my math on this :laugh: ) get? I really don't think there's any chance it's more than what Luongo got.

And I believe to get Price's cap hit to the same percentage of the cap as Luongo (6.3%) Montreal would have to retain the full 50% (that would bring Price down to 6.4% of the cap).

So yeah. The best and perhaps only real comparable to a Price trade seems to be the Luongo trade -- same age, same calibre -- and to get Price down to Luongo's cap hit Montreal needs to retain a lot. And Luongo got a pretty mediocre return.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Zero reason to retain large unless the return is over the top. Lets say they retain 5mm, they still need two goalies. That will run you 6-8mm. So you are 11-14mm stacked against goalies.

You may as well keep Price, hope the team turns quick and roll the dice in the playoffs. Price is 34, goalies can age well into their late 30s, i’d rather they just keep a franchise HOF player rather then strike out on a late first.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Eh, to be honest I think I diverge with you a bit on this one. I'd take Price at 50% cap hit on the Avs in a heartbeat, to be honest. The end of that contract will probably suck, but it's probably worth it to go all-in for a cup for the next 2-3 years. The problem is Montreal will likely want something ridiculous for retaining 3-5.25 million for 5 seasons because from their perspective that's a big blow -- but from the acquiring team's perspective retaining 30-50% simply makes Price's contract go from absolutely horrendous to kinda palatable.

Even if Montreal retains 35%, for instance, the acquiring team is still getting a 34 year old with notable health concerns at 6.825 million for five years. I don't think any GM in the league is giving up top-end assets for that. In most cases when a team retains a lot of money on a contract that contract becomes a steal. In Price's case, his current contract is so bad Montreal retaining 3.675 million for 5 seasons still means Price has a pretty "meh" deal given how high his cap hit still is combined with the term on the contract along with the health concerns.

I really only see two scenarios. Either Montreal decides they're retooling but would rather keep Price at 10.5 and at least have a starting goaltender rather than no starting goaltender + between 3-5 million dead cap with an only decent return in a trade. OR they decide they want a clean break and want to start fresh for a retool and hopefully develop a young goalie to go with their emerging young core. In that case, Montreal accepts that they're going just going to have to take a hit on the Price trade. AKA that they're going to have to retain significant salary but, since Price's contract is currently so bad given his context (and indeed the context of the flat cap), they still won't get an elite return for it. Nobody is paying Montreal shiny assets just because Montreal is retaining -- teams only pay for what they are getting.

I'm guessing neither options really satisfies the Habs fans who think that retaining on Price should get them top young assets, but I just don't see it. Nor is there really any precedent, as far as I can tell, that indicates an aging goalie with health concerns with a big cap hit (somewhere between 6.5-7 million, lets says) gets top assets back. The closest I can think of is when the Canucks traded a 34 year old Robert Luongo who I think had 7? 8? years left at 5.3 million. The Canucks retained 15% to bring Luongo's salary to 4.5 million + accepted the pretty big risk of the recapture penalty should Luongo retire (which they ended up getting hit with, incidentally, since Luongo's contract was specifically structured to circumvent the cap by encouraging him to retire before it ended, since his final two seasons only paid him $1 million in real salary). Florida took on no risk of the recapture penalty in that acquisition and ended up with Luongo for 6 seasons -- and since Luongo's contract was structured for him to retire before the contract with no penalty to Florida, I think they kinda knew that going in.

So for Luongo at 4.5 million, which was 6.3% of the cap at that time I believe? Florida paid Shawn Matthias, a depth forward, and Jacob Markstrom, who a couple years prior to the trade had been considered a near-top goalie prospect but had really struggled in his first two sample sizes in the NHL. So what does Price, hypothetically at 6.825 (35% retained), which is still 8.3%? of the cap (someone please check my math on this :laugh: ) get? I really don't think there's any chance it's more than what Luongo got.

And I believe to get Price's cap hit to the same percentage of the cap as Luongo (6.3%) Montreal would have to retain the full 50% (that would bring Price down to 6.4% of the cap).

So yeah. The best and perhaps only real comparable to a Price trade seems to be the Luongo trade -- same age, same calibre -- and to get Price down to Luongo's cap hit Montreal needs to retain a lot. And Luongo got a pretty mediocre return.
Solid post. Everything you're saying here is logical.

I just have an inkling that his knee and the cost of retention are simply massive hurdles that make a palatable trade here really unlikely.

Like you said, Gorton and whoever he hires--they're going to have to make that decision. And if that trade is ultimately netting them nothing other than a couple fillers and four years of dead cap, you really need to question if it's even worth it for them.

Either way, Montreal's in a tough spot.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, that kinda seems to be the crux of the problem. If the Canadians do something like retain $4 million over the next 5 seasons it's understandable they'd want an absolutely top return. I get that from their fans' perspective. And yet the receiving team is going to be looking at that...and even with ~$4 million retained Carey Price is the 4th-5th highest paid goaltender in the league. And 34 with significant health concerns...and frankly hasn't maintained a consistently elite record for the past few seasons. So yeah, they'd pay something good for that, but there's no way it's some amazing group of assets that Montreal fans would apparently want if they are going to saddle themselves with significant dead money. A 34 year old with baggage who still remains a ~top 5 highest paid player at his position just doesn't fetch that.

His current contract is just awful.
I wonder if a Lecavalier-type situation might come up: a team offers to trade for him but he has to commit himself to retiring by a certain date.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Brilliant and insightful post showing how it looks from both perspectives.

I think a team might have some mid-level assets to offer that Montreal could like to build around, even without being high-end. Maybe a guy who has potential but hasn't gotten ice time (akin to how Danault and Gorges were when Habs got them), non-high end prospect (maybe someone who stalled), and a pick or two, and maybe this gets done, with Colorado also needing to dump some contracts the other way. But Montreal won't get the kind of high-end asset people like to imagine, and it won't be "worth" the amount of retention required. But it means getting the needed rebuild under way in Montreal while giving Colorado a big upgrade at a key position without weakening the current roster.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Good goalies are rarelly traded that's why this narrative exists. Kuemper just got a first with very little history of success. Schneider returned 9th overall that turned into Horvat.

I think it exists because goalies are unpredictable. You can get better results with random goalie than with 10m goalie superestar. So why take the risk.
They are probably few excceptions like Vasi, Helleybuck o goalies that are quite yound and consistently good, they probably have a lot of value,
Carey Price on other hand is 34 years old and was under .910 in 3 of last 4 seasons.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
How do you think Vasi's career would've gone if he were drafted by a team like Arizona?

Or how do you think Tampa's team would've trended had they used that pick plus additional futures on an 'established' goaltenders in their mid-30s?
But Tampa did draft Vasi and the rest is history, thats the fact, I prefer to deal with facts and not suppositions. Thank you very much!

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I think it exists because goalies are unpredictable. You can get better results with random goalie than with 10m goalie superestar. So why take the risk.
They are probably few excceptions like Vasi, Helleybuck o goalies that are quite yound and consistently good, they probably have a lot of value,
Carey Price on other hand is 34 years old and was under .910 in 3 of last 4 seasons.
I can guarantee you right now that Colorado would increase their chances of winning the cup substantively with Price compare to Kuemper! The Habs never come close to Final last year if not for Carey Price!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't see anyone touching price at that length of a contract. Even at 50%.
He's been very average during the regular season and should continue to regress. So many people make such a big deal about his playoff performance. He was so sheltered by the Habs collapsing system and monsterous defensemen he had in front of him last year. Why take a guy at 5M who will be a back up by the end of his contract? Having not played this season also hurts his value.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Zero reason to retain large unless the return is over the top. Lets say they retain 5mm, they still need two goalies. That will run you 6-8mm. So you are 11-14mm stacked against goalies.

You may as well keep Price, hope the team turns quick and roll the dice in the playoffs. Price is 34, goalies can age well into their late 30s, i’d rather they just keep a franchise HOF player rather then strike out on a late first.

Huh? What are you talking about? Price is unmovable unless the Habs retain. No one can take on that contract, certainly no one in these trade proposals.

Goalies don't often age well after 34. Their play drops off.

Expecting the Habs to magically turn things around, when Weber is out for good, Petry is falling apart, Price is in rehab... you are selling Montreal fans a bill of goods.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I gotta wonder if Price at 5M retained returns Kuemper, Jost and a pick or two. (not 1st rounders)

I suspect if Colorado is willing to give up on Kuemper, they'd rather do it sooner than later.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
MTL star goalie to Colorado?

Would be a neat little bit of history repeating itself.
TBH, Colorado should’ve traded for Price a couple years ago, at least. Price beat Vegas in the playoffs last year, Colorado didn’t.

Reactions: Frenchy

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
Carey Price will win the gold medal at the Olympic games and a team will trade for him after. Some people here seem to believe that the guy is 50 years old, it’s ridiculous.

Reactions: japhi

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Carey Price will win the gold medal at the Olympic games and a team will trade for him after. Some people here seem to believe that the guy is 50 years old, it’s ridiculous.
The guy is 34 and pretty beat up and just had to deal with addiction issues.

That being said, a strong Olympic showing (even in just a game or two since I doubt he'll start) might give him some value.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
The guy is 34 and pretty beat up and just had to deal with addiction issues.

That being said, a strong Olympic showing (even in just a game or two since I doubt he'll start) might give him some value.
Given Fleury is still decent at 37. Even Mike Smith at 39 though out at the moment still decent in net. We are talking about a premier goalie in Price he will be solid for awhile to come.

I think the best bet is to try to broker a trade where the 3rd team takes minimal cap for assets while the Habs done eat the full 5mill in cap to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad