Value of: Carey Price brokered to Colorado or Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Nobody is retaining that much cap for FIVE years (not to mention taking up the retention slot) for a measly 2nd round pick

the 3rd team doesn’t even pick up the phone unless the offer is a minimum of a 1st+ (and it’s not a small plus)

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're joking right? go ask Tampa Bay if goaltenders aren't that valuable?
How do you think Vasi's career would've gone if he were drafted by a team like Arizona?

Or how do you think Tampa's team would've trended had they used that pick plus additional futures on an 'established' goaltenders in their mid-30s?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i think any trade talks of price have to start with his no movement clause . getting by that the habs would be better served by waiting till next year to trade price if he would agree . after his bonus is payed next year it's surprising what is left owing on his contract. he'll be much more valuable next year . it would also be disrespectful for any player to be discussed in rumours while dealing with personal issues .

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You can leave Edmonton out of this, I want zero part in moving a 1st and the prospect Habs fan will want for Price.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The value of the retention should get more in return than the value of Price. Give the team eating salary for nothing the 1st. Montreal gets a 2nd and a good (but not blue chip) prospect. So no Holloway, no Broberg, especially no Bouchard.

To Montreal- Koskinen, 2nd round pick, Raphael Lavoie, 20% retention on Price

Random 3rd team- Edmonton's 1st round pick, retention on Price (30%)

To Edmonton - Carey Price

I don't see how Edmonton agrees to pay more. I don't see how Montreal even considers this anyway.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If Price comes at 50% the return should be huge. If Habs takes a bad contract with that kind its a big meh

IDK about huge.

He is 34 years old, with four years left on this deal after this.

The past three regular seasons his SV% has been 918, 909, 901 and that is under a defensive team / system

Someone will grab him but that is a risky proposition

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I just see since Gorton got to Montreal maybe trying to move Price. Everyone saying Price at 5mill multiple times.

I was wondering if a bottom team looking to pick up a pick would do it. Yes for multiple years but maybe like a 2nd while the Habs get the 1st part of the big trade.

Montreal retains 35%. 3rd team retains 35% of the 7,350,000. Bringing it to a total of 4,777,500.

Montreal

1st
Kuemper
Prospect

Or

1st
Koskinen
Prospect

3rd team

2nd round pick + Prospect

Colorado or Edmonton

Price at 4,777,500

I know there was a thread earlier about it being a rumor. I not saying this could happen. Just going on the hunch of LeBrun saying these two who are cup favorites could really use him. They only have the glaring need in net for the most part.

Not even saying it'd happen but they idea of Price brokered to them a number that works is intriguing.

3 sides can win out of this.

people onhereseemto have no clue on the value of ap space.

no team is going to doa pass through highretainfor 4+ yrsfor a middling middle round pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Price’s contract has always been one that appeared to be too tough to move without massive retention before this season. I don’t see how it’s any easier now.

I wouldn’t expect anything great back even with retention. 34 with five years left? Woof. I wouldn’t give a first.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It would be 2.6mill for the remainder of the contract.

I see maybe a team like Buffalo being in that position. Lots of cap space. It's been fully torn down. They get futures. The cap won't hurt them and they get assets while giving up nothing thay hurts them in the short term.

Nah.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Price is untradeable at this moment.

AFAIK, If the Habs retain salary , let's say 4 M a year, and Price goes on the LTIR, the Habs still have to pay him all that money and it counts against the cap.

Considering how often Price is injured, retaining a decent amount of salary for so many years would be a stupid decision.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

AFAIK, If the Habs retain salary , let's say 4 M a year, and Price goes on the LTIR, the Habs still have to pay him all that money and it counts against the cap.

Considering how often Price is injured, retaining a decent amount of salary for so many years would be a stupid decision.
The Habs shouldn't care about what that retained salary is paying for. They're holding it for the opportunity to shed the rest of his contract.

But it's already been said before. Even at 50% retained, Price is still one of the highest paid goaltenders in the league. And he's currently on the shelf at 34 and has multiple seasons of sub-par stats preceding him.

Getting a 3rd team to 'broker' a deal by eating even more cap would cost the acquiring team even more future assets for the opportunity to pay that goalie until he's 39 years old.

I think Price is immovable at this point.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
If we retain 5M (habs) and he finishes the last 2 years on LTIR. Is the 5M on LTIR for us to? Or does it count as 'normal' cap?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we retain 5M (habs) and he finishes the last 2 years on LTIR. Is the 5M on LTIR for us to? Or does it count as 'normal' cap?
It counts as retained salary. It's 'normal' cap.

The only way retained salary ever 'changes' is if the contract is terminated either by buyout or retirement.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
But it's already been said before. Even at 50% retained, Price is still one of the highest paid goaltenders in the league.

Fake news. At 50%, he would have the 13th biggest cap hit for goalies in the nhl. The 18th highest cap hit goalie would have only 300 K less than Price.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
You're joking right? go ask Tampa Bay if goaltenders aren't that valuable?
Good goalies are rarelly traded that's why this narrative exists. Kuemper just got a first with very little history of success. Schneider returned 9th overall that turned into Horvat.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Exactly. If the Habs are going to rebuild, Price's cap hit will not be an issue for the next couple of years. The odds that Price plays the remaining 4+ years remaining on the contract are pretty low. It's very likely he ends up spending the final couple of seasons on LTIR. There is no reason to trade him unless the Habs get an attractive return.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
He hasn't played yet this year, played well for the habs previously, no guarantee he comes back and plays well.

5 years left, lots of risk as well on top of losing assets. Seems like a desperation move for team acquiring without seeing him play this year.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Good goalies are rarelly traded that's why this narrative exists. Kuemper just got a first with very little history of success. Schneider returned 9th overall that turned into Horvat.
How do those trades look in hindsight?

Goaltenders stand out more when their expectations are low. Their value stands out because they're exceeding the expectations that are based heavily on what the team puts in.

Kuemper was valuable in Arizona because he was under-the-radar. They acquired him for Rieder and Wedgewood. He was found money.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Fake news. At 50%, he would have the 13th biggest cap hit for goalies in the nhl. The 18th highest cap hit goalie would have only 300 K less than Price.
It's points like this that make discussions exhausting in the internet era. 13th highest (10th actually) at 50% of his current salary is still ridiculously high for a player with many years left on his contract and his best years behind him in all likelihood.

You're glossing over the actual argument to point out something completely meaningless. Stop doing that.

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Yeah, that kinda seems to be the crux of the problem. If the Canadians do something like retain $4 million over the next 5 seasons it's understandable they'd want an absolutely top return. I get that from their fans' perspective. And yet the receiving team is going to be looking at that...and even with ~$4 million retained Carey Price is the 4th-5th highest paid goaltender in the league. And 34 with significant health concerns...and frankly hasn't maintained a consistently elite record for the past few seasons. So yeah, they'd pay something good for that, but there's no way it's some amazing group of assets that Montreal fans would apparently want if they are going to saddle themselves with significant dead money. A 34 year old with baggage who still remains a ~top 5 highest paid player at his position just doesn't fetch that.

His current contract is just awful.

No he absolutely will not. Even at 50% retained Price is a 34 year old goalie making 5.25M until he's 39(!)

That's is not going to return a lot of value.

Agreed.

Personally I wouldn't want to commit to Price, even at @ 50% for the next 4+ years. There is something off about what is going on with him. He's obviously dealing with some deep personal issues (and I hope he works through them) &/or he's checking out of his career. You have to remember... he's 34... he seems like more of a family first kind of guy and by the time this season ends he'll have already made over $100 mill in NHL salary.

Also, he has a NMC. My gut says he would only agree to a trade that is (a) very close to his BC home, &/or (b) a city where he is not going to be living in a fishbowl. I would say cities like Vancouver, Seattle, the California teams, Vegas as potentials that he would waive for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad