Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
@IWantSakicAsMyGM :

At that point Price will be 36+ years old and even with 2 years left @5.25m thats not appealing at all. Especially considering that you probably have to give the Habs a substantial return for retaining 10m on his contract. For the Avs I want absolutely nothing to do with Price and I think that most of the other teams will be in the same boat.
Maybe as a rental but odds are he will be quasi retired via LTIR by then anyways.

I completely agree that it would require a lot of very unlikely things to happen to come to fruition, I was just saying that there is some non-zero chance he could plausibly get moved. With how many stupid decisions GMs have made around the league over the last few decades, it wouldn't even really surprise me if some desperate fool took a chance on him after he's proven he can stay healthy and play well and was willing to give up what the Habs wanted in return for those 2 years of retention.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am bored and giving you my opinion considering that you might have had a team like the Avs in mind with your posts (like usually the Habs fans on here do).

Why would I want revenge over people posting silly stuff on a message board?. This wasn't even really written from an Avs fan POV and more from a general NHL fan / somewhat neutral NHL tradeboard poster POV. If it had been, I would have gone deeper into our cap situation and age structure and why Price due to that is a completely ridiculous idea.

I was just commenting on the fact that I think Price right now is almost completely untradeable (and that I think he will retire as a Hab due to that) and that your ideas did not make much sense. I think that was my first post in this thread so I don't see how I am obsessive.

It's all good. Price is almost untradeable if there is no retention or little retention. We agree there. But with substantial retention up to 50%, it's a completely different story. Will Molson want to do that? Well if they rebuild and Price wants out, they will be forced too! Reality

50% retention accomplishes two things. Habs get the best value back and the team he is going to gets a game changer in net for a very good AAV that fits the cap structure. People can say the Habs are not going to retain but they can't say that if they want a full rebuild. Habs have too many contracts in place and tough decisions have to be made.

Will the Habs rebuild? Lots of talk about it but we really don't know that answer yet. If they don't, there is going to be a lot of grumpy Habs fans but you might like that cause then the Price trade chatter fades a bit :laugh:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's all good. Price is almost untradeable if there is no retention or little retention. We agree there. But with substantial retention up to 50%, it's a completely different story. Will Molson want to do that? Well if they rebuild and Price wants out, they will be forced too! Reality

The crux is here though that Molson will never trade Price for the late 1st+ cap dump type of gamble return that a very desperate GM (and I wouldn't rule out that you might be able to rope Holland or someone like him into doing that deal) might give up for Price @ 50% retained right now. And I think a higher return is rather unrealistic. Which makes a trade almost impossible.
At 100% of his value his contract makes him completely untradeable and @50% of his contract IMO the expected return for retaining 20M on your franchise player makes a trade impossible (moreso than his still IMO bad contract) . And I don't really see a way out of this dilemma for the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The crux is here though that Molson will never trade Price for the late 1st+ cap dump type of gamble return that a very desperate GM might give up for Price @ 50% retained right now. And I think a higher return is rather unrealistic. Which makes a trade almost impossible.
At 100% of his value his contract makes him completely untradeable and @50% of his contract IMO the expected return for retaining 20M on your franchise player makes a trade impossible (moreso than his still IMO bad contract) . And I don't really see a way out of this dilemma for the Habs.

My platform base to discuss with anyone who calls and there would be phone calls no doubt
* Price (up to 50% retention)
for
* Late 1st (20+)
* Grade A (not turned pro yet)
* Grade B (not turned pro yet)
* 1/2 year cap dumps

New management worried about Price winning cups with another team and the return ends up meh where we are paying half his contract? Sure but if that same management wants to rebuild and thinks that Price sticking around will be OK with that, they are not good managers.

Maybe for these reasons, the new management decides not to rebuild? :sarcasm:

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Easier said that done. If the Habs decide to rebuild, Price will want out. Then you got to see how many teams he waives his NMC for. Then you got to see if those teams are interested. Then you got to work out how to make it work for their cap structure.

So yeah, if the Habs move Price, they will have to consider substantial retention. No doubt about it, it would be a historic move to retain that much and for that long. However, if the Habs want to trade Price and get fair value back, we have to consider substantial retention. What you worried about? We had $8M - $10M of unused cap space for 2+ years when we were a bubble team and let Markov and Radulov walk.

What's your plan? Don't retain or if we retain, retail little? Then what do you do if there are no takers? Keep a disgruntled Price during rebuild years which is a distraction? Explain your reasoning?

My plan is irrelevant. So is postulating scenarios before Gorton hires a GM and THEY formulate a plan. IF they come to the conclusion to nuke it, I just don't see them retaining half.

The notion that you know for certain Price would want out is pretty self-aggrandizing. Lundqvist didn't want out of the Rangers and I could easily see Price doing the same.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My plan is irrelevant. So is postulating scenarios before Gorton hires a GM and THEY formulate a plan. IF they come to the conclusion to nuke it, I just don't see them retaining half.

The notion that you know for certain Price would want out is pretty self-aggrandizing. Lundqvist didn't want out of the Rangers and I could easily see Price doing the same.

I don't see Price wanting to stay in a rebuild in Montreal. If the Habs rebuild, they are not going to be able to move Price without substantial retention. Both Price and his wife are from the west coast and there is no doubt in my mind he would value being closer to home. Lundqvist didn't have the option to play NHL and be close to home in Sweden. Price and Angela would value having their kids closer to their grandparents. It's not the same situation as Lundqvist wanting to stay in NYC or close by.

You could be right but I personally doubt Price wants to stay in Montreal during a rebuild. Seattle seriously considered taking him and I bet Price and his family thought about how life would be like on the west coast again. Seed has already been planted.

If the Habs don't decide to rebuild, forget the whole trade talk

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
My platform base to discuss with anyone who calls and there would be phone calls no doubt
* Price (up to 50% retention)
for
* Late 1st (20+)
* Grade A (not turned pro yet)
* Grade B (not turned pro yet)
* 1/2 year cap dumps

New management worried about Price winning cups with another team and the return ends up meh where we are paying half his contract? Sure but if that same management wants to rebuild and thinks that Price sticking around will be OK with that, they are not good managers.

Maybe for these reasons, the new management decides not to rebuild? :sarcasm:

I'm sure you'd have calls from 30 GMs if Price were made available at 50%, but they'd all be asking what the lowest you would realistically take in return is, since a 1st + A + B prospect is a really big ask for any goalie. The issue is that, with $21m in retention, I don't see how the Habs would ever be willing to take anything less than a 1st + A + B prospect, and at that return, Price is the single most expensive available goaltender by a huge margin. And, no matter what his talent level is or how many times he's been named to Team Canada, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to give up that kind of return for any goalie, when you can get someone extremely comparable for significantly less.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

50% retention accomplishes two things. Habs get the best value back and the team he is going to gets a game changer in net for a very good AAV that fits the cap structure. People can say the Habs are not going to retain but they can't say that if they want a full rebuild. Habs have too many contracts in place and tough decisions have to be made.

Will the Habs rebuild? Lots of talk about it but we really don't know that answer yet. If they don't, there is going to be a lot of grumpy Habs fans but you might like that cause then the Price trade chatter fades a bit :laugh:

I don't see anyone touching it @ 50% for a few reasons.

#1 He hasn't played this entire season and may not be what he was, whatever is causing him not to play right now might also not improve away from his current home, moving or relocating might be detrimental

#2 To get him @ 50% you would have to pay a premium for a 34-year-old goalie and the contract runs still he's 38? Goalies can seem to play longer than other positions, but it's not exactly a plus.

#3 @ 50% he still has 5.25m cap hit for this year AND the next 4 years, big gamble. Could be a great goalie, and you might win the trade depending on what you lost asset wise, if he's an average goalie you lost the trade and have paid assets and cap for an average goalie, if he plays poorly or doesn't play or continues having issues you are in serious trouble.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Crow52

Jan 8, 2020
I think Price will waive his no trade clause to have another chance at the Cup. Teams like Col, Edm would definitely trade for him but at what price? Both these teams lack the goaltending and Price would give both MacKinnon and McDavid a good chance at the Cup for the next couple of yrs

Reactions: BLONG7

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Price will waive his no trade clause to have another chance at the Cup. Teams like Col, Edm would definitely trade for him but at what price? Both these teams lack the goaltending and Price would give both MacKinnon and McDavid a good chance at the Cup for the next couple of yrs
The cost to acquire, the retention amount, his condition after having both a surgery and rehab are all major factors right now. If Montreal has any hope of moving him, I think they need to wait until he actually plays some hockey. Until then, nobody is going to make a gamble on Price even at 50% I don't think. Well, maybe Ken Holland, he doesn't mind the old dogs, but then the kicker is what deal makes sense for both sides with retention.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I certainly could see Tampa go after Price...as LTIR cushion.

In their case, yeah

But they also have Vasi, they won't enter the playoffs with Kuemper or Koskinen.
Price is without a doubt the best goaltender available (and those who bitch about his seasons are quick to forget how he took out the Leafs and Vegas all by himself just a couple of months ago)

Plus he didn't play, and will be healty and ready later this year.

It's a gamble for sure, but it's one hell of a lottery ticket, where the grand prize is the currently 2nd best goaltender in the World

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I could see something around Price for Matt Murray. Cash Salaries balance out for the next 2 years, and MTL would would get out of the contract 2 years sooner with no retention.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's objectively not, but at this point I think Montreal fans are just trying to flatter themselves instead of trying to change the minds of the rest of us.

I mean, he was on a Conn Smythe run last playoffs and with his pedigree, we know that it's not an accident

You can devalue the guy all you want, but it still happened

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Avs are fine in goal. At least this season.

if Price ever gets moved, it will be in a few years (think 3 or fewer seasons left on his deal) and will happen in the off-season. It will require retention by the Habs of a significant amount.

today, teams in need of a goalie (Edmonton) will kick tires with MAF, the Rangers backup m, Rask and other options. Not a single GM would call on Price. Not this season. Price has to prove he can play, play well, play consistently and stay off substances for at least a year. And that passage of time helps burn the term on his brutal contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I could see something around Price for Matt Murray. Cash Salaries balance out for the next 2 years, and MTL would would get out of the contract 2 years sooner with no retention.
Montreal would be incredibly lucky to trade Price for Matt Murray without either team retaining. Don’t see Price agreeable to go to Ottawa. Don’t see Ottawa dumb enough to make this deal either.

Reactions: Alienblood

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
in the event Pricer is moved, could we/they retain 50% year 1, 40% year 2, 30% year 3 sorta thing?

like gradually % that albatros down?

i would imagine the aav is like 10 mil until the end regardless right?

Luongo be like. "dude".

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
In no way can I see Colorado interested.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This...................is more than likely....that being said I can also see Price wanting to stay and finish in Montreal.
Flip a coin folks....
If there is a trade, there will have to be retention on the habs part, the more retained the more you can ask for prospects and picks coming back....
So, it's all moot until Price talks to the media to answer questions as to his plans....I would think he and Gorton have already met......and talked.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Price single handedly brings a team to the finals and he still gets disrespected to another level. Posts in this thread are treating him as if he’s a second tier goalie. Any contender that can afford him and trades for him, will win the cup if not at least reach the finals- of that I’m certain.

So if Montreal fans think this why are they bragging up Chiarot and how great he was in the playoffs ? You can't have it both ways .

Reactions: McJedi

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I mean, he was on a Conn Smythe run last playoffs and with his pedigree, we know that it's not an accident

You can devalue the guy all you want, but it still happened
he was also a 2.64/.901 regular season. and has been for the last few years.

like already mentioned, considering health issues and length of remaining contract, I don't see him fetching a 1st/A/B..etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad