Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
he was also a 2.64/.901 regular season. and has been for the last few years.

like already mentioned, considering health issues and length of remaining contract, I don't see him fetching a 1st/A/B..etc..

Still, if you're Colorado or Edmonton, what are you going to do?
Go on a run in a year where you can win it all with either Kuemper or Koskinen?
Carey Price is available right there and will be more than ready to go on a playoffs run.
Koskinen + 1st + something for Carey Price at 50% is absolutly a short term move (good for 2 or 3 years max) but if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup "right now", you have to pull the trigger I think
I mean, you can't get better than that in terms of upgrades unless you get Vasi but good luck with that

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Carey Price is available right there and will be more than ready to go on a playoffs run.
Koskinen + 1st + something for Carey Price at 50% is absolutly a short term move (good for 2 or 3 years max) but if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup "right now", you have to pull the trigger I think
I mean, you can't get better than that in terms of upgrades unless you get Vasi but good luck with that

what I wouldn't do, if I were them, is saddle the team with a 5m dollar goalie for the next 4+ yrs, who can't stay on the ice and who's numbers are worse than what they already have when he does get on the ice
that contract is poison... in both term and cost

I get that some are holding on to what Price WAS... but the chances of him regaining that as he gets older is just not sensible

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Binnington has a Cup, so there's no logical reason to believe Kuemper and Koskinen can't possibly do it.

And Price has zero Cups, so there's no logical reason to believe he's the 2nd best option behind only Vasi when former Cup winners like Holtby, Quick and Fleury could be available. He's also the single most expensive goalie to acquire, due to the fact that his contract is so ugly that it needs ugly retention to even be palatable, so the ROI is absolutely horrible compared to literally anyone else.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
See the whole idea is flawed to begin with. If Price were a UFA today, I'd be extremely unhappy if my team signed him for more than $6 million, with 4 years term and even at that, there's a lot of risk involved. I question if the amount of retention required even makes the return it worth it for Montreal. Maybe to Edmonton, with the Koskinen contract coming back but I can't see much more than a 1st coming back with him.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
See the whole idea is flawed to begin with. If Price were a UFA today, I'd be extremely unhappy if my team signed him for more than $6 million, with 4 years term and even at that, there's a lot of risk involved. I question if the amount of retention required even makes the return it worth it for Montreal. Maybe to Edmonton, with the Koskinen contract coming back but I can't see much more than a 1st coming back with him.
If my team was a true cup contender and in need of a goalie i would be extremely happy if i could sign a ufa Price for 6 mil a season for 4 seasons.
Imagine having a legit shot at a cup for the next 4 seasons for a lousy 6 mil a season.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
This i agree with.
Maybe you are onto something. The Habs keep Price and his salary into their rebuild and get high lottery picks. Price may noy even play half the games or games at all. Can't see him bein hapoy on a bottom feeder for the rest of his days but who knows. I'd be willing to bet he wants out now though and the Habs cut him a favor.

Only way that favor hapoens is to retain and likely at 50 %

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maybe you are onto something. The Habs keep Price and his salary into their rebuild and get high lottery picks. Price may noy even play half the games or games at all. Can't see him bein hapoy on a bottom feeder for the rest of his days but who knows. I'd be willing to bet he wants out now though and the Habs cut him a favor.

Habs don't owe Price a favor. Price understands that his caphit is the equivalent of a NTC and he also understands that retaining 5M / season is not an option just to dump him. Price is a professional and will remain a Habs as result.

Reactions: McJedi

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I imagine the Canadian would love to do him a favour and rip up his contract and let him sign wherever he wants. Win-win Habs can rebuild and Price can be a winner. But if he is fine with status quo I’m sure they are too unless they get a good offer.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
what I wouldn't do, if I were them, is saddle the team with a 5m dollar goalie for the next 4+ yrs, who can't stay on the ice and who's numbers are worse than what they already have when he does get on the ice

I get that some are holding on to what Price WAS... but the chances of him regaining that as he gets older is just not sensible

Was, as in, a couple of months back? Guy didn't hurt himself since then, he hasn't played lol
He'll be top shape for a run

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If my team was a true cup contender and in need of a goalie i would be extremely happy if i could sign a ufa Price for 6 mil a season for 4 seasons.
Imagine having a legit shot at a cup for the next 4 seasons for a lousy 6 mil a season.
The thing is, you have to make it to the playoffs first and Prices in season numbers, have been no better than Koskinen's, over the last 4 years.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
The thing is, you have to make it to the playoffs first and Prices in season numbers, have been no better than Koskinen's, over the last 4 years.
last 5 reg seasons
16/17 2.23/.923
17/18 3.11/.900
18/19 2.49/.918
19/20 2.79/.909
20/21 2.64/.901
so no, as a UFA no one would be giving him a 4yr/6m deal at 34 yrs old, even if he was on the ice

Reactions: Alienblood

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Was, as in, a couple of months back? Guy didn't hurt himself since then, he hasn't played lol
He'll be top shape for a run
Hes 34 years old with a history of lower body injuries that had knee surgery over the summer and hasn’t had a good regular season in years. Montreal has only made the playoffs the past two seasons due to Covid related format changes. He hasn’t played well enough in the regular season and playoff stats only matter if he can get them there

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Habs don't owe Price a favor. Price understands that his caphit is the equivalent of a NTC and he also understands that retaining 5M / season is not an option just to dump him. Price is a professional and will remain a Habs as result.
Under those circumstances he doesn't have a choice. LTIR is a real possibility

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m Colorado and I’d much rather have Kuemper in net than Price for this season’s playoff run. Kuemper is the better goalie. He’s healthier, younger, cheaper and much more reliable. Isn’t an addict, that we know of, either.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I’m Colorado and I’d much rather have Kuemper in net than Price for this season’s playoff run. Kuemper is the better goalie. He’s healthier, younger, cheaper and much more reliable. Isn’t an addict, that we know of, either.
Kuemper is about to go on a tear.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Price won't be traded.

He'll play some games here and there and go LTIR'ed in 2-3 years from now.

Retiring a Habs.

IF he gets traded, big problematic contracts will come the other way.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
He’s already playing fine. Kuemper is adjusting to the Avs faster than Grubs did.
Agreed , I don't even think Grubauer is a legit starter, he's a backup.

As for Kuemoer yes he started to heat up got concussed and started playing well again but Covid. His numbers will look pretty good in a month or so

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Exactly. Taking him for nothing would be one thing, even at 50% retention. Adding a 1st for a $5,25 M cap hit for four more years. You could take that first and get a better goalie with a smaller cap hit and way less commitment. Habs fans are smoking some serious stuff based on what they think Price might fetch.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I really appreciate how practical you’ve become. This post was a well written.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

How is it that guy Carey Price Based on what? One playoff run? Look at the body of work for last four years. His age. If he was a UFA, I bet he would almost have zero chance at 4 x $6 M

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Not happening. Price stays a Hab till his contract runs out. Habs are not retaining 50% of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad