Rumor: Canucks And Leafs talking — Canucks Targeting Liljegren

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Wonderful, are you able to explain to every Leafs fan in this board? He's not worth the anchor of who else is coming with him for any of the Canucks mentioned there. There is no deal to be had if Liljegren is the biggest piece returning for Miller, Horvat or Demko.

He has not been a "top four" on Toronto. He's played an average of 16:00 a night, so simply division has him below that mark. He is presently playing less than Brodie, Muzzin, Rielly, Lyubushkin (since he got to Toronto), Sandin and Holl. And it hasn't gone up in the wake of Muzzin's injury either. He's got twice the give aways to take aways, and has about a 55% offensive zone starts, and all that deployment goes down when the team is down, close or tied. I'm not ragging on the guy, but let's look at this objectively. He's expected to be a top four, and he's in his first fullish season in the league. But he's not a top four D yet. He's not some Marino-esque top four ready rookie, who is taking the league by storm and we all just missed it. He is not a finished product. Luke Schenn, who gets ragged on in every thread he's brought up in, is the current better or more impactful player.
Lily is a more raw player then Sandin. He has silky smooth edges. Very good stick work. Can throw some nice hits similar to Sandin. Not to mention there isn't a big gap after Toronto's top 4. The other guys are played so evenly. Between Sandin, Bush and Lily only a minute and 4 seconds seperate there ice time(16:00 to 17:04) They are clearly all trusted in there role. All are clearly better then bottom role players.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lily is a more raw player then Sandin. He has silky smooth edges. Very good stick work. Can throw some nice hits similar to Sandin. Not to mention there isn't a big gap after Toronto's top 4. The other guys are played so evenly. Between Sandin, Bush and Lily only a minute and 4 seconds seperate there ice time(16:00 to 17:04) They are clearly all trusted in there role. All are clearly better then bottom role players.
A minute isn't a lot game to game, but this is averaged over 50+ games this season, so it does show bias to others. Especially looking at things like TOI in certain situations (being tied, down or in close games were examples I looked at) and the others still have him beat there. Again, I'm not trying to say that this is all Liljegren will ever be, but he is not a top four guy by any metric I can see. And having Brodie, Rielly and Muzzin as the top three players, having these three in Lybushkin, Sandin and Liljegren fighting out for the last top four spot doesn't make him a top four either. Based on ice time, Holl is above 20:00 a night too, so he'd be who I'd consider top four over the others, even if it's a default usage due to chemistry or something too. 3-4 minutes a night screams more trusted than the guys he's beating out.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
A minute isn't a lot game to game, but this is averaged over 50+ games this season, so it does show bias to others. Especially looking at things like TOI in certain situations (being tied, down or in close games were examples I looked at) and the others still have him beat there. Again, I'm not trying to say that this is all Liljegren will ever be, but he is not a top four guy by any metric I can see. And having Brodie, Rielly and Muzzin as the top three players, having these three in Lybushkin, Sandin and Liljegren fighting out for the last top four spot doesn't make him a top four either. Based on ice time, Holl is above 20:00 a night too, so he'd be who I'd consider top four over the others, even if it's a default usage due to chemistry or something too. 3-4 minutes a night screams more trusted than the guys he's beating out.
I never said he was a top 4 player. But he is clearly better then a bottom pairing dman but not a top 4 yet. Liljegren is a little inconsistent he's a young players that's finding his game. He's shown tons of promise out there. He's turning 23 and in his rookie season. He's got time. You should watch him some time. Great young player. He's worth a pretty penny for sure.

Also for what it's worth. Bush has played only 20 seconds more a game then Lily. Lily pks more for Toronto then Bush does and hes pacing for more points then Sandin(almost 30). Not bad for no minutes Lily.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I never said he was a top 4 player. But he is clearly better then a bottom pairing dman but not a top 4 yet. Liljegren is a little inconsistent he's a young players that's finding his game. He's shown tons of promise out there. He's turning 23 and in his rookie season. He's got time. You should watch him some time. Great young player. He's worth a pretty penny for sure.
That was the claim I originally quoted, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

It's his first season, and he's expected to improve, likely to that top four role, which is why the report is believable. I believe Allvin and Rutherford would like Liljegren on the Canucks. However the original comment I replied to asserted he was already a top four D, which is just flat out not true at the moment.

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If he is traded for players like Halak/Motte/Schenn, I would be PISSED.
If they did, it would suggest they’ve given up thinking he’ll ever be a legit Top 4 dman.

If he’s included for Myers? That’s a different story. You think about it, go watch all the tape from every game this year, and make sure it’s not OEL who’s the reason Myers is having this type of year.

They really should hold onto him at least another season before making a judgment on him. He has been better every month. Not to the level some thought but we see him do some good things and he’s getting better.

Like I said, if it’s for Myers, that would change things.

As for most these deals for Motte, there’s other players out there you can get without giving up a top 40 pick for. Schenn would help the Leafs as a bottom pairing guy. Fact is, they need something better than Schenn too.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
That was the claim I originally quoted, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

It's his first season, and he's expected to improve, likely to that top four role, which is why the report is believable. I believe Allvin and Rutherford would like Liljegren on the Canucks. However the original comment I replied to asserted he was already a top four D, which is just flat out not true at the moment.
Oh I agree. All good. I edited my other post but wanted to say.

Also for what it's worth. Bush has played only 20 seconds more a game then Lily for Toronto(16:20 vs 16:00). Lily pks more for Toronto then Bush does and hes pacing for more points then Sandin(almost 30). Not bad for no minutes Lily lol. He's my fav Leafs D prospect/young player. I'm high on him.

Reactions: Cogburn
Feb 19, 2018
Just because Vancouver wants Liljegren, doesn’t mean they’re going to get him for their scraps. Only way he’s available is for an upgrade like Miller, Horvat, or Demko.

He’s been playing top 4 on a playoff team in his rookie season and has looked solid.

Obviously the leafs would need to add.
Do you actually believe in this shit? Demko, Miller or Horvat? Why not all 3 of them with 50% retention. In fact I’m feeling generous as a Canucks fan today, please send us Mrazek as well.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
In all seriousness, why?? Why would Vancouver be “targeting” him? He’s the last type of D they need.

Someone playing clickbait with Canuck fans. We’ve seen a team who’s on the borderline of selling, keep having reports they’re targeting certain younger D.
He's a young, right handed defenceman who's played well in top 4 minutes and who isn't looking at a serious raise. I'd argue he's exactly what the Canucks would want going forward. That said, he's also exactly what the Leafs need going forward lol so I don't see why they'd want to include him in a deal (unless he's part of a package for a bonafide top 6 forward).

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Do you actually believe in this shit? Demko, Miller or Horvat? Why not all 3 of them with 50% retention. In fact I’m feeling generous as a Canucks fan today, please send us Mrazek as well.
The Leafs and Canucks aren’t good partners. The Canucks won’t get Liljegren for scraps, they will end up looking elsewhere.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Mrazek has had a bad season with the leafs for 20 games, Myers has been terrible for years. You don't think other people watch the Canucks. Myers is awful and has been for a long time. Stop trying to lie to me and more importantly stop lieing to yourself.
Actually Myers is having one of his best, if not, best season he’s had in recent memory. He was God awful last year. Like he deserved to be in the AHL type bad.

Whether this year is due to OEL or not, who knows. He’s been solid though, and I’m the first one to have given up on him years ago. Not because he never made it like people thought, but because he didn’t figure out 6-7 years ago, what type of player and role he could be really good playing. That said, maybe he’s finally found what role he’s suited for.

He would help the Leafs significantly IF he comes in and just keeps playing the way he has this year. I’d have to watch a whole lot of tape before I’d go get him though. Just to make sure we’re not trading for a player who’s going to revert back to last season.

So his history says stay away but his play this year says, take a look.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I feel like shopping Vancouver outside of Miller and Garland is like shopping in a thrift store.
If they want pieces like Lilj and we can afford the good tuff then there is no point.
unless Van really likes Lilj and we really like Miller and decide to add to Lilj but guys like Motte, Myers, Halak don't move the needle much when there is a shot at guys like Mayfield and Varly

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Wonderful, are you able to explain to every Leafs fan in this board? He's not worth the anchor of who else is coming with him for any of the Canucks mentioned there. There is no deal to be had if Liljegren is the biggest piece returning for Miller, Horvat or Demko.

He has not been a "top four" on Toronto. He's played an average of 16:00 a night, so simply division has him below that mark. He is presently playing less than Brodie, Muzzin, Rielly, Lyubushkin (since he got to Toronto), Sandin and Holl. And it hasn't gone up in the wake of Muzzin's injury either. He's got twice the give aways to take aways, and has about a 55% offensive zone starts, and all that deployment goes down when the team is down, close or tied. I'm not ragging on the guy, but let's look at this objectively. He's expected to be a top four, and he's in his first fullish season in the league. But he's not a top four D yet. He's not some Marino-esque top four ready rookie, who is taking the league by storm and we all just missed it. He is not a finished product. Luke Schenn, who gets ragged on in every thread he's brought up in, is the current better or more impactful player.
If the report is to believed your management group is interested in him. It’s not that the Leafs management is looking to trade this player.
If they are interested in this 22 year old rookie Dman it because of what they feel he can develop into, not because of what he currently is. Yes he is playing on our bottom pair currently but we don’t feel that is his career ceiling. And if your team is interested in him they probably don’t feel that way either.

Yes we Leaf fans realize he isn’t worth Miller, Garland, or Horvat on his own. Or even close to that. But we also aren’t trading him for scraps and spare parts you guys don’t really want anymore.
A good way to look at it is if you are asking a team for something they don’t want to trade you probably have to offer them something you aren’t completely comfortable with losing.

Reactions: Ninjadude

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
F it go all in Miller+Myers both at 50% for a bunch of picks(1sts), prospects(top), Mrazek and Lilj

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If the report is to believed your management group is interested in him. It’s not that the Leafs management is looking to trade this player.
If they are interested in this 22 year old rookie Dman it because of what they feel he can develop into, not because of what he currently is. Yes he is playing on our bottom pair currently but we don’t feel that is his career ceiling. And if your team is interested in him they probably don’t feel that way either.

Yes we Leaf fans realize he isn’t worth Miller, Garland, or Horvat on his own. Or even close to that. But we also aren’t trading him for scraps and spare parts you guys don’t really want anymore.
A good way to look at it is if you are asking a team for something they don’t want to trade you probably have to offer them something you aren’t completely comfortable with losing.
Absolutely. I believe the braintrust has inquired. I also agree that isn't his ceiling, otherwise...why acquire him over trying Woo or Rathbone? Asking the value is fine, and I'm not pushing for Motte for Liljegren straight.

Here however, I disagree. There are enough "sarcastic" comments calling for them to make me question this. Also, in other threads for Miller specifically, we have been inundated with offers of Kerfoot, Liljegren (at best) and Dermott/Holl/Mrazek for Miller at half cap and Schenn, despite the rumour being Toronto has been asking about Miller, similar to Liljegren here. So while I'm not surmising that all Leafs fans think this way, there are a lot of Leafs fans that think this way.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Absolutely. I believe the braintrust has inquired. I also agree that isn't his ceiling, otherwise...why acquire him over trying Woo or Rathbone? Asking the value is fine, and I'm not pushing for Motte for Liljegren straight.

Here however, I disagree. There are enough "sarcastic" comments calling for them to make me question this. Also, in other threads for Miller specifically, we have been inundated with offers of Kerfoot, Liljegren (at best) and Dermott/Holl/Mrazek for Miller at half cap and Schenn, despite the rumour being Toronto has been asking about Miller, similar to Liljegren here. So while I'm not surmising that all Leafs fans think this way, there are a lot of Leafs fans that think this way.
Well sure. Any Leaf fan that think we could get Miller without it really hurting is an even bigger fool than those that think that the Leafs would trade Liljegren for some rental role players.
Toronto could trade Liljegren we are at a point where they have to consider anything that improves the team. But there really hasn’t been anything in this thread that makes much sense. It doesn’t help that our teams aren’t great fits.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well sure. Any Leaf fan that think we could get Miller without it really hurting is an even bigger fool than those that think that the Leafs would trade Liljegren for some rental role players.
Toronto could trade Liljegren we are at a point where they have to consider anything that improves the team. But there really hasn’t been anything in this thread that makes much sense. It doesn’t help that our teams aren’t great fits.
I agree entirely, we're not a great fit, but pieces from the other team could definitely benefit the otherside, but at what cost?

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
I don't think they're good trading partners. Outside of a few pieces the Canucks have overvalued, there isn't anything good there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Vancouver fans should be a bit apprehensive if JR follows his M.O. in Pittsburgh. He tends to overpay when he identifies someone he likes, such as the Zucker and Kapanen deals. Heck, he gave up a 1st for David Perron, which turned into Perron for Hagelin. Worked out in the end since Hagelin was a big part of the Pens' 2016 Cup win, but just in terms of "value" it was an overpayment.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Vancouver fans should be a bit apprehensive if JR follows his M.O. in Pittsburgh. He tends to overpay when he identifies someone he likes, such as the Zucker and Kapanen deals. Heck, he gave up a 1st for David Perron, which turned into Perron for Hagelin. Worked out in the end since Hagelin was a big part of the Pens' 2016 Cup win, but just in terms of "value" it was an overpayment.
I’m expecting something pretty bold, but the Canucks haven’t drafted in the 1st round in two years. The pick is not being traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad