Rumor: Canucks And Leafs talking — Canucks Targeting Liljegren

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Reading through this thread makes me think I'm in crazy world. Why would the Leafs trade a young NHL RD for a collection of assets like a pending UFA 4th liner, a rental backup goalie, a massive cap dump or other crap like that?

Hoglander for Liljergren is reasonable. Throwing spare parts at Toronto for Liljergren isn't reasonable.
Totally reasonable logic from a neutral party (by the looks of it at least)

You're absolutely right, Hoglander and Liljegren are in the same category of value with respect to their similar potentials and age. But I really don't see a scenario that makes Hoglander's value equal to Liljegren's given the scarcity of right shot D-men who can play both sides of the puck. Not to mention it would be trading from a position of need for a position of depth.

But absolutely, if a Canuck fan were to present that sort of framework to me, I would absolutely understand the logic and it would be within a range of acceptability. It just doesn't really help the Leafs.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Zero interest in moving a 22 year old RHD who has played somewhere around 40 games in the NHL this season-the extent of his regular playing time. Is a plus player and has 15 points, also has great Corsi and Fenwick analytics.

For what? Schenn? Halak, Motte or other scrubs. Ummm no thanks.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I'm not trading Liljegren for Vancouver scraps like Schenn/Motte/Halak. Hoglander makes no sense either he probably doesn't crack Leafs top 12. Only makes sense to move him if he's packaged to get an impact player that really moves the needle on our SC odds. Lil is a good young affordable D who ought to be in Toronto for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Liljegren looks like a guy with the tools to be a good two-way top for defender. Seems like an odd player to be traded away to fill depth needs in a lineup (ie. Motte, Halak, etc.).
It's seems odd, because it is odd. No one in their right mind would be moving Liljegren for spare parts. I don't care how effective those spare parts are.

Liljegren is only part of a bigger deal for a bigger player. He is far from unmovable, but he's not being moved for 1 or even 2 playoff pushes of whatever the return is.

It's insane to think otherwise TBH

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Reading through this thread makes me think I'm in crazy world. Why would the Leafs trade a young NHL RD for a collection of assets like a pending UFA 4th liner, a rental backup goalie, a massive cap dump or other crap like that?

Hoglander for Liljergren is reasonable. Throwing spare parts at Toronto for Liljergren isn't reasonable.

The only way I can think of Is if Dubas is really desperate to get out of the first round this year and is willing to sacrifice long term pieces for immediate help. Similar to the Caps trading Forsberg for Erat to get past the second round.

Motte is an amazing fourth liner and was a beast for us in the playoffs. Luke Schenn has found another gear after winning the cup and has been a solid reliable defensemen this year.

But yeah I think Dubas is smarter than that.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Vancouver sports media has got to be the most delusional media faction in the entire NHL. Dhaliwal pretending like he doesn't know who Liljegren is may be one of his finer moments. Yes the name Dhali keep's hearing in conversations is also the name he can't even remember or pronounce.... Makes a lot of sense LOL. They aren't even trying anymore.

The Leafs are not moving Liljegren for anything outside of a major piece. I am sorry to break it to Canucks fans.

It's hilarious how I could talk to any of my friends here in Vancouver and I wouldn't hear a single positive thing said about Tyler Myers, yet he still has value at 2/3rds his current salary? We all have eyes, he is a bottom pairing guy at this point. He has value at maybe 2.5-3AAV. Liljegren is already a better player in his rookie season.

I genuinely cannot wait till Monday has come and gone. Seeing Donny and Dhali scramble to stay relevant after the team 1040 shut them down is becoming nauseating.

Canucks have interest in Liljegren? ya I f***ing bet they do lol, as does probably every team in the NHL.

If you actually think Liljegren = Motte, Schenn or even a combination of them both, you are clinically insane. Get checked out.

quoted in case we get liljegren.

i tend to agree with your take on vancouver media desperately making up trade rumours to fill up airtime so i put zero stock in this rumour being real. but it does make some sense that the canucks would try and get liljegren off the leafs since he adds youth and fills a need in a position we lack depth. it's not delusional at all to think such a deal could happen since liljegren is not a key part of the win now movement. and schenn and motte do actually make sense as adds. both are playoff ready and playing really well right now.

whether that is an exact swap for value i am not sure as i have not scouted liljegren closely, but it's close enough that i can see something being built around it. each of schenn and motte have some tdl value this year.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Vancouver sports media has got to be the most delusional media faction in the entire NHL. Dhaliwal pretending like he doesn't know who Liljegren is may be one of his finer moments. Yes the name Dhali keep's hearing in conversations is also the name he can't even remember or pronounce.... Makes a lot of sense LOL. They aren't even trying anymore.

The Leafs are not moving Liljegren for anything outside of a major piece. I am sorry to break it to Canucks fans.

It's hilarious how I could talk to any of my friends here in Vancouver and I wouldn't hear a single positive thing said about Tyler Myers, yet he still has value at 2/3rds his current salary? We all have eyes, he is a bottom pairing guy at this point. He has value at maybe 2.5-3AAV. Liljegren is already a better player in his rookie season.

I genuinely cannot wait till Monday has come and gone. Seeing Donny and Dhali scramble to stay relevant after the team 1040 shut them down is becoming nauseating.

Canucks have interest in Liljegren? ya I f***ing bet they do lol, as does probably every team in the NHL.

If you actually think Liljegren = Motte, Schenn or even a combination of them both, you are clinically insane. Get checked out.

this doesn't add up. 1-2 ppl don't make a sensible consensus. Liljegren isn't that good either. he's just young.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Short of a larger package for Demko, there isn’t much on the Canucks I’d want in exchange for Lilly.

Now before I get harped on for being a homer, I am fully aware that Demko isn’t available and that Vancouver have pieces that equal or exceed Lilly’s value. It just doesn’t make sense for Toronto to make a deal like this.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Have you read this thread?

Have you read any thread involving a Canucks trade rumor? They are unsubstantiated claims based on hearsay that a guy like Rick Dhaliwal and Don Taylor would never be privy to. Unless the intention was to create some non existent marketplace.

To Van:
Good prospect
1st round pick

To Team "X":
Hot dog shit (retained)

Like in what f***ing world is there interest in Tyler Myers. Seriously. He doesn't even have interest on his own team for crying out loud

"But that's just what I'm hearing donny"

From who dude? lol

lmao... unhinged

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

i tend to agree with your take on vancouver media desperately making up trade rumours to fill up airtime so i put zero stock in this rumour being real. but it does make some sense that the canucks would try and get liljegren off the leafs since he adds youth and fills a need in a position we lack depth. it's not delusional at all to think such a deal could happen since liljegren is not a key part of the win now movement. and schenn and motte do actually make sense as adds. both are playoff ready and playing really well right now.

whether that is an exact swap for value i am not sure as i have not scouted liljegren closely, but it's close enough that i can see something being built around it. each of schenn and motte have some tdl value this year.
I have zero doubt in my mind that Vancouver has interest in Liljegren, he is a very promising player and fills a position of need. Unfortunately those type of players are needed by all 32 teams including the team Timmy presently plays for.

It would not shock me to see Timmy go to Vancouver, but it would absolutely floor me if he was traded for a framework that is built around a Motte and Schenn return.

The way I see it is very simple, I am not sure there is any raw data or advanced analytics that could suggest Motte or Schenn is better than Liljegren at the present time. So in theory Timmy is already the best player between him Motte and Schenn. When was the last time a buyer/contender at the deadline traded the best player away in the deal and improved their team?

It just doesn't happen.

Timmy would be included in a much larger deal if he went to Vancouver.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I have zero doubt in my mind that Vancouver has interest in Liljegren, he is a very promising player and would fill a position of need. Unfortunately those type of players are needed by all 32 teams including the team Timmy presently plays for.

It would not shock me to see Timmy go to Vancouver, but it would absolutely floor me if he was traded for a framework that is built around a Motte and Schenn return.

The way I see it is very simple, I am not sure there is any raw data or advanced analytics that could suggest Motte or Schenn is better than Liljegren at the present time. So in theory Timmy is already the best player between him Motte and Schenn. When was the last time a buyer/contender at the deadline traded the best player away in the deal and improved their team?

It just doesn't happen.

Timmy would be included in a much larger deal if he went to Vancouver.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
this doesn't add up. 1-2 ppl don't make a sensible consensus. Liljegren isn't that good either. he's just young.
And what exactly are you basing this on?

the fact that he has more points as a bottom pairing defensemen in his rookie season with zero PP time than Tyler Motte? The player who is headlining the proposed return?

or the fact that every one of his advanced analytics suggest he is one of the brighter young RD in the NHL?

fill me in

1647469420262.png

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
There is no chance Canucks take on Mrazek.
That is possibly the worst goalie contract in the league.
Big money, term AND trade protection for an absolutely terrible goalie.
Canucks are trying to get younger and clear cap.
Not add cap and get much worse.
And no, not going to acquire to buy out.
That is just a smaller longer cap hit.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
There is no chance Canucks take on Mrazek.
That is possibly the worst goalie contract in the league.
Big money, term AND trade protection for an absolutely terrible goalie.
Canucks are trying to get younger and clear cap.
Not add cap and get much worse.
And no, not going to acquire to buy out.
That is just a smaller longer cap hit.

Exactly.

Only way this could happen is if they take on Halak + Poolman or something and give us assets in return.

Mrazek's a bum who finessed a contract from Dubas. That Carolina team was so deep and inflated Mrazek's numbers.

In 19-20, Mrazek played 40 games and a .905 svp on the Hurricanes. Reimer, the journeyman backup had a svp of .914, almost 10 whole points better than Mrazek.

Mrazek's last good year was in 15-16. 6 years ago lol.

Sorry Leaf fans, but this guy's a bum.

Feb 19, 2018
As much as this would obviously have Motte involved I don’t see a move anymore with the chemistry and the way the Canucks are playing. Having an elite 4th line goes a long way in the playoffs when games start going into OT and you need to balance out the ice time. I think right now Vancouver has the best one in the league, they are basically our 3rd line at this point.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'd move him if we got something better than motte back . I know leafs would still have to add but Boeser or JT miller make sense

Liljegren + Kerfoot / Engvall + Pick / prospect

/ = or

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Exactly.

Only way this could happen is if they take on Halak + Poolman or something and give us assets in return.

Mrazek's a bum who finessed a contract from Dubas. That Carolina team was so deep and inflated Mrazek's numbers.

In 19-20, Mrazek played 40 games and a .905 svp on the Hurricanes. Reimer, the journeyman backup had a svp of .914, almost 10 whole points better than Mrazek.

Mrazek's last good year was in 15-16. 6 years ago lol.

Sorry Leaf fans, but this guy's a bum.
"But you have to take him, or we can't make a deal!"

Oh, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad