Rumor: Canucks and Devils talking Zacha for Dickinson trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
OP spreads more disinformation than Alex Jones and your boomer Uncle on Facebook combined. Don't say anything borderline political though you might get banned....

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Is it possible they just want to get him on a different team so if he goes to arbitration, the other team can walk away from the award and NJ can sign him as a UFA?

Or would NJ be eligible to sign him as a UFA if they themselves walked away from an arbitration award? Can't remember the rule there.
He’s reportedly not planning to go to arbitration, he’s taking his one year 3m Qualifying Offer and then heading to UFA, unless he gets a bigger deal that changes his mind.

If we don’t qualify him we can sign him but so can anyone else.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Zacha either signs his QO at 3M, rejects it and makes whatever a player scoring what he does playing in your top 6, in arbitration...probably around 4M. Or NJ trades him for someone who they can control cost on (aka Dickinson at 2.6M...which is 400k less than his QO...for two more years) and at least get some kind of player who played well for Dallas and could play better for a team that isn't so much in flux. Or NJ doesn't like any trade offers, for whatever reason, and then decides not to Qualify him, making him a UFA and takes their chances getting someone at a lower caphit in the summer.

My point is that if NJ is shopping Zacha, you either do it for a contending team as a Rental and get a prospect and/or pick. Or you get a player with cost certainty, which would essentially be a swap of players needing a change of scenery. You are probably not going to get fair value for a player that, as has been stated NJ isn't keen to sign long-term or for a higher $ value/short term.
term is a positive, only when a player lives up to the contract.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
As a Canucks fan, Zacha for Dickinson, would be great for us, and just plain and simple stupid for NJ to even consider.

Dickinson is useless in Vancouver and we’d love to get that contract out of here.

Zacha, even with a modest 15% raise, makes the same $$$ as Dickinson, provides more offense, has more potential upside, is better in the FO circle (Dickinson is horrible), and in a worst case scenario, Zacha is just as good defensively.

I understand the Devils want to move on from him, but they should be able to get a better return then Dickinson. The Canucks would have to add a draft pick (which Rutherford has indicated he won’t do).

My pet peeve is homer fans making up trades that are unrealistic: these 2 guys in a straight up one for one obviously benefits one team more than the other.

Zacha is scoring at a 25 goal pace over the last 2 seasons.

Dickinson is scoring at an 8 goal pace over the last 2 seasons. He’s also been a huge disappointment defensively (which was supposed to be his strength).

If I’m the Devils I’m asking for at least a 2nd to go with Dickinson (just to take that contract off of our hands).

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Your perspective is extremely narrow minded.

It's very conceivable that the Devils like Jason Dickinson as a player that fits your needs more (defensive bottom six winger v.s. a middle six forward that has been surpassed by several players on the depth chart).

Dickinson has not been a good fit for the Canucks - we would much rather pay more for someone with more upside.

Just because Devils don't need cap relief, doesn't mean they want to or have to commit money and term to a player they obviously don't see as a long-term fit. Devils aren't going to be taking more money because Zacha's extension will likely be north of 3.5M, which is more than what Dickinson makes...

I agree straight up doesn't seem reasonable but Taylor Hall also went for Adam Larsson. A lot weirder trades have happened in the NHL... this wouldn't even be close to one of them.

the irony. zaxha still has value. also, market competition

dickson sucks too

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
As a Canucks fan, Zacha for Dickinson, would be great for us, and just plain and simple stupid for NJ to even consider.

Dickinson is useless in Vancouver and we’d love to get that contract out of here.

Zacha, even with a modest 15% raise, makes the same $$$ as Dickinson, provides more offense, has more potential upside, is better in the FO circle (Dickinson is horrible), and in a worst case scenario, Zacha is just as good defensively.

I understand the Devils want to move on from him, but they should be able to get a better return then Dickinson. The Canucks would have to add a draft pick (which Rutherford has indicated he won’t do).

My pet peeve is homer fans making up trades that are unrealistic: these 2 guys in a straight up one for one obviously benefits one team more than the other.

Dickinson is scoring at an 8 goal pace over the last 2 seasons. He’s also been a huge disappointment defensively (which was supposed to be his strength).

If I’m the Devils I’m asking for at least a 2nd to go with Dickinson (just to take that contract off of our hands).

this. 100%

Reactions: IComeInPeace

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Going to be pretty funny if no trade whatsoever happens between these two teams
I would be surprised if the teams made a deal. Both teams are targeting 2-3 years down the road and both seem to have similar needs. A minor deal at best between these two IMO. I really do not have interest in Boeser given his contract situation so maybe my view is biased by not wanting what the Canucks may be trading.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Boeser has, what looks to be, an unnecessary extra letter in his name. I can't see our owners being down for that kind of expense.

Reactions: MakoSlade

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Dickenson is not an offensive player in which Zacha is supposed to be though.

and for an offensive player, Zacha averages 23 pts per season.

I dont think this is a massive win by any means for either team if the deal went through.
Sorry to pick on you, but “Zacha averages 23 points a season.” is a great example of making stats say what you want them to say, rather than adding any sort of context for why he averages 23 points per season. You included his first season, where he only played the last game of the season.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

the honest valuation of your teams player is appreciated. there aren't enough classy poster like you. most people try to win an imaginary trade proposal instead of sharing their hockey knowledge. although in certain cases i doubt they have something to share.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I would be surprised if the teams made a deal. Both teams are targeting 2-3 years down the road and both seem to have similar needs. A minor deal at best between these two IMO. I really do not have interest in Boeser given his contract situation so maybe my view is biased by not wanting what the Canucks may be trading.
yes. something minor like trading the assistant coach responsible for the pp. :naughty:

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Sorry to pick on you, but “Zacha averages 23 points a season.” is a great example of making stats say what you want them to say, rather than adding any sort of context for why he averages 23 points per season. You included his first season, where he only played the last game of the season.
and scored two points.

if we extrapolate that to a full season, he is a proven 164 point scorer with size. his closest comparable is probably mario lemieux. :badidea:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I mean Zacha is just under 50% ppg average in his career (46% to be exact)…

Dickinson is not known for his offence. He’s a more defensive-minded player. If he could fill our 3rd line centre roll then it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. But he can’t, he’s a winger at best.

So if we bring Boeser into this and add Dickinson…. For any package revolving around Zacha there’s still another + (probably) + on top of that. Smith and a pick is likely what it will be.

Or if devils also take poolman the additional + could be removed and/or we swap later round picks.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Dickinson isnt worth his 2.65M a season. You would have to pay a team to take on his contract.

Zacha at worse is a rental that would garner a lot of interest from teams.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Dickinson isnt worth his 2.65M a season. You would have to pay a team to take on his contract.

Zacha at worse is a rental that would garner a lot of interest from teams.
True, if Dickinson’s contract was $2M it wouldn’t be much of a situation… so yes he’s overpaid like $500k-1M, story of Canucks life lol!

Reactions: McDoused

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
True, if Dickinson’s contract was $2M it wouldn’t be much of a situation… so yes he’s overpaid like $500k-1M, story of Canucks life lol!
overpaying on short term contracts hurts, but doesn't kill. if you go long term, you better nail that contract figure.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Zacha either signs his QO at 3M, rejects it and makes whatever a player scoring what he does playing in your top 6, in arbitration...probably around 4M. Or NJ trades him for someone who they can control cost on (aka Dickinson at 2.6M...which is 400k less than his QO...for two more years) and at least get some kind of player who played well for Dallas and could play better for a team that isn't so much in flux. Or NJ doesn't like any trade offers, for whatever reason, and then decides not to Qualify him, making him a UFA and takes their chances getting someone at a lower caphit in the summer.

My point is that if NJ is shopping Zacha, you either do it for a contending team as a Rental and get a prospect and/or pick. Or you get a player with cost certainty, which would essentially be a swap of players needing a change of scenery. You are probably not going to get fair value for a player that, as has been stated NJ isn't keen to sign long-term or for a higher $ value/short term.
I would rather keep Zacha and pay him $4M than trade anyone or anything for Dickenson and pay him $2.6M. Zacha will probably get a deal just over 3M. I'm guessing he gets $3.3 x4 million. He probably is worth closer to 4 million and I would be okay with signing him for that.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mean Zacha is just under 50% ppg average in his career (46% to be exact)…

Dickinson is not known for his offence. He’s a more defensive-minded player. If he could fill our 3rd line centre roll then it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. But he can’t, he’s a winger at best.

So if we bring Boeser into this and add Dickinson…. For any package revolving around Zacha there’s still another + (probably) + on top of that. Smith and a pick is likely what it will be.

Or if devils also take poolman the additional + could be removed and/or we swap later round picks.
I don't get why people think the add on to a Zacha Boeser is someone like Smith and like other people said, their first.
Zacha was on pace for about 54 points last year. Boeser has also put up better numbers in the past. I agree, but currently their PPG is not that far off for this year not to mention the opportunity that Boeser has on a #1PP unit compared to Zacha spending most of his time with players of Jimmy Vesey's calibre and there would not be a signifigant diffenrence as people think. Play Zacha with Petterson and Miller and put Boeser on a line with Vesey and maybe Jesper Boqvist and you will see the comparison isn't that far off.
Why would anyone trade a young D who won CHL D of the year and WHL D of the year, twice and still has yet to play one full season in the NHL and is only in his second season?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I don't get why people think the add on to a Zacha Boeser is someone like Smith and like other people said, their first.
Zacha was on pace for about 54 points last year. Boeser has also put up better numbers in the past. I agree, but currently their PPG is not that far off for this year not to mention the opportunity that Boeser has on a #1PP unit compared to Zacha spending most of his time with players of Jimmy Vesey's calibre and there would not be a signifigant diffenrence as people think. Play Zacha with Petterson and Miller and put Boeser on a line with Vesey and maybe Jesper Boqvist and you will see the comparison isn't that far off.
Why would anyone trade a young D who won CHL D of the year and WHL D of the year, twice and still has yet to play one full season in the NHL and is only in his second season?
I am not sold on smith for the record… just spitballing a name that everyone keeps throwing into this offer.

Boeser > Zacha

don’t think anyone is debating that part. And yes I do agree that linemates play a part into their success. Not sure why you’d put brock on a line with boqvist and vesey though. As that would not be utilizing Boeser’s strengths very well. You put him with Hughes or hischier.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I am not sold on smith for the record… just spitballing a name that everyone keeps throwing into this offer.

Boeser > Zacha

don’t think anyone is debating that part. And yes I do agree that linemates play a part into their success. Not sure why you’d put brock on a line with boqvist and vesey though. As that would not be utilizing Boeser’s strengths very well. You put him with Hughes or hischier.
You're missing the point. Of course you don't play BOeser with those two, but for the most part that is the talent that Zacha has been paired with for a good portion of his career and if you give Zacha the opportunities offensivly that Boeser has had, and include the fact that Boser is making almost three times the amount that Zacha is, the difference between them is not as top young D prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad