Rumor: Canucks and Devils talking Zacha for Dickinson trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
You're missing the point. Of course you don't play BOeser with those two, but for the most part that is the talent that Zacha has been paired with for a good portion of his career and if you give Zacha the opportunities offensivly that Boeser has had, and include the fact that Boser is making almost three times the amount that Zacha is, the difference between them is not as top young D prospect.
Then why are you putting zacha on a 3rd line with linemates of that caliber ? That seems to be the most puzzling part of it, if he’s that much better he should have a top 6 role, no? I’d love to see proof so we can say that Boeser and zacha are closer in value. Of course zacha’s contract is better but so are Boeser’s #’s. There’s no tangible facts to suggest otherwise, to this date.

At the end of the day I think Boeser would do well with the devils. As well, zacha needs a fresh start. There can be value for both teams here.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Then why are you putting zacha on a 3rd line with linemates of that caliber ? That seems to be the most puzzling part of it, if he’s that much better he should have a top 6 role, no? I’d love to see proof so we can say that Boeser and zacha are closer in value. Of course zacha’s contract is better but so are Boeser’s #’s. There’s no tangible facts to suggest otherwise, to this date.

At the end of the day I think Boeser would do well with the devils. As well, zacha needs a fresh start. There can be value for both teams here.

Zacha's most common linemate is Nico with his next two being Tatar and Bratt..he can get moved up and down the lineup, of course, so he certainly has played some third line minutes, but he's still mostly used in a top 6 capacity throughout the year.

This probably makes him look worse lol

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

He does get some opportunity playing on those top lines, but the lines have barely been set in stone for the last 4-5 years and have changed every few games. He does play with some good players. I am not saying he is on Boeser level though. I am saying that he isn't given the opportunities that Boeser does. Boeser is clearly a better player. I am not denying that. My argument that is if you look at some of the factors like who Boeser generally plays with and who Zacha plays with, and then compare stats and reverse the roles, is the difference in value a top young defenseman? No chance

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
He does get some opportunity playing on those top lines, but the lines have barely been set in stone for the last 4-5 years and have changed every few games. He does play with some good players. I am not saying he is on Boeser level though. I am saying that he isn't given the opportunities that Boeser does. Boeser is clearly a better player. I am not denying that. My argument that is if you look at some of the factors like who Boeser generally plays with and who Zacha plays with, and then compare stats and reverse the roles, is the difference in value a top young defenseman? No chance
Well there’s definitely a difference in value… I am not sold on smith so that doesn’t have to be the piece. The biggest question is then what? Has to make sense for Canucks too. Zacha as main piece doesn’t do much for us so would have to be worthwhile.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Well there’s definitely a difference in value… I am not sold on smith so that doesn’t have to be the piece. The biggest question is then what? Has to make sense for Canucks too. Zacha as main piece doesn’t do much for us so would have to be worthwhile.
There definetly is a difference but not at the cost of a top young player we want to build around. There are many things to consider. Cap, linemates etc. And those things IMO bring Zachas value closer to Boeser. Still not at the same level though. We can talk about the past but currently their PPG are relativly close this year and Zacha is making about a third the money with way crappier linemates. I factor that in. I don't even know why the Canucks would want Zacha IMO. I don't know why you trade the better player away unless you are getting something like Smith in return, but I think the Devils would be crazy to do that.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
According Sat Shah of Sportsnet 650 whom I believe has broken some Canuck signings before like Hughes extension etc.

He mentions that he has heard that the Canucks have had deep conversations with the Devils regarding a Dickenson for Zacha trade.

Shah said that the Devils are not interested in giving Zacha a raise or a long term commitment. However, rather than walking away from any RFA salary arbitration in the off-season , the Devils instead have had conversations with the Canucks about Jason Dickenson whom apparently the Devils believe bring alot of the same attributes as Zacha but more importantly is cost controlled for 2 more years at 2.6 mil.

Scouting Report on Dickenson for my NJ family:

-Offensive Blackhole
- Very good defensively especially 5 on 5
- Better winger than Centre imo
- Skates really well with good size at 6'2
- Would succeed as a shutdown checking winger
Dickinson, with an "i"

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
M2B is back!
photo-122824.jpg

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As a Canucks fan, Zacha for Dickinson, would be great for us, and just plain and simple stupid for NJ to even consider.

Dickinson is useless in Vancouver and we’d love to get that contract out of here.

Zacha, even with a modest 15% raise, makes the same $$$ as Dickinson, provides more offense, has more potential upside, is better in the FO circle (Dickinson is horrible), and in a worst case scenario, Zacha is just as good defensively.

I understand the Devils want to move on from him, but they should be able to get a better return then Dickinson. The Canucks would have to add a draft pick (which Rutherford has indicated he won’t do).

My pet peeve is homer fans making up trades that are unrealistic: these 2 guys in a straight up one for one obviously benefits one team more than the other.

Zacha is scoring at a 25 goal pace over the last 2 seasons.

Dickinson is scoring at an 8 goal pace over the last 2 seasons. He’s also been a huge disappointment defensively (which was supposed to be his strength).

If I’m the Devils I’m asking for at least a 2nd to go with Dickinson (just to take that contract off of our hands).

lol No he's not. In a best case scenario he's like half as good defensively

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

He has had a top 6 role this year. He's literally 2nd in average 5v5 ice time. He just sucks.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
He has had a top 6 role this year. He's literally 2nd in average 5v5 ice time. He just sucks.
Haha thanks for confirming my point. I guess if Boeser is being dealt for a package including zacha the + (+) needs to be justifiable for Canucks to make that deal. Taking Dickinson/poolman would also be helpful.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Haha thanks for confirming my point. I guess if Boeser is being dealt for a package including zacha the + (+) needs to be justifiable for Canucks to make that deal. Taking Dickinson/poolman would also be helpful.

Yeah Smith would be a pretty sizable add (although he's been the worst skater on the team this year so that hurts) but the fit just doesn't make sense for you guys. A 1st or Luke, Holtz, Mercer isn't happening. I don't really know if we're partners here

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Yeah Smith would be a pretty sizable add (although he's been the worst skater on the team this year so that hurts) but the fit just doesn't make sense for you guys. A 1st or Luke, Holtz, Mercer isn't happening. I don't really know if we're partners here
Fair enough… might not be the right trade partners.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I would be surprised if the teams made a deal. Both teams are targeting 2-3 years down the road and both seem to have similar needs. A minor deal at best between these two IMO. I really do not have interest in Boeser given his contract situation so maybe my view is biased by not wanting what the Canucks may be trading.

One positive about Boeser no doubt he would cash in a lot of Hughes's passes.....But I'd wait a year and see if he makes it to UFA then reevaluate our interest

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Which Vancouver writer broke this “rumour”?

Satiar Shah, so I don't really know if I see it being as 1 for 1. OP does say that the Devils don't want to give Zacha a raise on his next contract being a factor, so I guess it's down to his QO being to high for his year over year contributions or something (actual production versus per game production? I don't see the problem for a small raise myself).

Boeser+Dickinson or Garland+Dickinson could be done for a package for Zacha I guess, but as I've been on record as saying before, I don't think the Devils and Canucks make the best trade partners for larger pieces.

Reactions: mazmin

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Sat Shah and most of 650 (other than Randeep) are the biggest homers with blinders on lmao. Dickinson has been a complete bust and 2.6M for a 4th line C is not a good contract. Zacha is younger, has more pedigree and has been better than Dickinson at every stage in their careers.

Poolman was another top notch signing according to 650! Guy is a 7th Dman

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Sat Shah and most of 650 (other than Randeep) are the biggest homers with blinders on lmao. Dickinson has been a complete bust and 2.6M for a 4th line C is not a good contract. Zacha is younger, has more pedigree and has been better than Dickinson at every stage in their careers.

Dick sucks but Zacha isn't some gem. Zacha is better offensively but Dickinson is better suited for a bottom 6 because he's good defensively. Zacha is worth more overall but it doesn't make sense for the Canucks to add anything more than a mid round pick to the trade.

Zacha isn't a good fit for a bottom 6 role, and isn't good enough for a top 6 role. He has ok production at first glance but considering that he's been playing with guys like Hischier and Bratt, it's not impressive at all. And I've seen people say that Zacha will get 4m? That would be a worse contract than Dickinson.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Dick sucks but Zacha isn't some gem. Zacha is better offensively but Dickinson is better suited for a bottom 6 because he's good defensively. Zacha is worth more overall but it doesn't make sense for the Canucks to add anything more than a mid round pick to the trade.

Zacha isn't a good fit for a bottom 6 role, and isn't good enough for a top 6 role. He has ok production at first glance but considering that he's been playing with guys like Hischier and Bratt, it's not impressive at all. And I've seen people say that Zacha will get 4m? That would be a worse contract than Dickinson.

I am not saying Zacha is good just saying the value doesn't add up and it's not surprising coming from Sat

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why would NJ want the much worse producing player for a much better producing player?

Reactions: M2Beezy

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Why would NJ want the much worse producing player for a much better producing player?

Because production isnt everything especially with depth pieces. But i dont think anyone things this will be a 1 for 1 deal

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because production isnt everything especially with depth pieces. But i dont think anyone things this will be a 1 for 1 deal

23 pts vs 6 is a big gap, especially when talking about Zacha vs Dickinson. Zacha has produced more in other seasons, while Dickinson seemingly has no offence.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

Ok, now this thread makes sense ;)

Ita

Mar 11, 2019

I don't think it's a fair trade at all. That being said, one possibility is that NJ has no intention to resign Zacha and sees some value in Dickinson.

As a Canucks fan, I will be glad to give Dickinson away for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad