Rumor: Canucks and Devils talking Zacha for Dickinson trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Hes 26, he is what he is at this point

No need to be trading a 23yo with better offense for a 'chance' that a 26yo turns it on late in his career

That's not what this trade would be about.

This trade would be New Jersey not wanting to pay Zacha (who's due for a new contract and has fell down the pecking order with the emergence of Mercer, Bratt and Holtz in the wings).

Dickinson is a different type of player, a bottom six defensive forward with cost certainty for the next 2 years.

Dickinson is having an awful year with the Canucks, but so is everyone else except 2 or 3 guys. He's previously shown on Dallas he can be a great 20-30 point defensive winger. I do agree the Canucks could add a mid round pick but nothing really substantial like a 2nd rounder or B prospect.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
That's not what this trade would be about.

This trade would be New Jersey not wanting to pay Zacha (who's due for a new contract and has fell down the pecking order with the emergence of Mercer, Bratt and Holtz in the wings).

Dickinson is a different type of player, a bottom six defensive forward with cost certainty for the next 2 years.

Dickinson is having an awful year with the Canucks, but so is everyone else except 2 or 3 guys. He's previously shown on Dallas he can be a great 20-30 point defensive winger. I do agree the Canucks could add a mid round pick but nothing really substantial like a 2nd rounder or B prospect.
The Devils arent trading Pavel Zacha for a guy making 400k less whos considerably worse and older, just to dump his contract

It makes literally no sense, it has to be part of a bigger deal or it wont happen

Last edited:

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
The Devils arent trading Pavel Zacha for a guy making 400k less whos considerably worse and older, just to dump his contract

It makes literally no sense, it has to be part of a bigger deal or it wont happen

I'm not sure why this needs to be reiterated despite being talked about countless times.

Zacha needs a new deal, probably something north of 3.5M. It's very likely the Devils do not want to commit the salary and term for a redundant player.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Like as in...Dickenson+Boeser for Zacha+1st...?

Like a 2022 first? ;)

It'll likely be a 2023 protected first, though I don't think that's enough for Boeser. There has to be another piece coming back... maybe McLeod or Smith?

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
I'm not sure why this needs to be reiterated despite being talked about countless times.

Zacha needs a new deal, probably something north of 3.5M. It's very likely the Devils do not want to commit the salary and term for a redundant player.
You can keep repeating yourself, it doesn't make it any more true

The Devils are not trading a 23yo forward for a 26yo forward whos considerably worse, just to save cap space they dont need to save

which is funny because Vancouver is the team that actually needs cap relief, not the Devils; yet here they take on more salary for a player who is not fast nor good 5v5?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I feel like you're being intentionally disingenuous here to try and talk down Zacha to make Dickinson for Zacha a fair deal.

Someone who gets 28 points in 63 games per year isn't the same as a player who gets 28 points in 82 games.
the covid shortened season are all zacha's fault.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
because this is not real world and this is a message board. non of our opionions actually have any weight.

I'm only giving mine as to what I'd be okay in trading for Zacha and what he would bring along with salary.

Don;t want Zacha for fair value, for a discount sure ill take him.

pettersson and demko for tatar

devils actually don't need another center, as they have hughes, hischier and mercer down the middle. so dumping a player, who makes 7+m/yr and only averageds 25 pts over the last two seasons requires a significant add like demko. tatar is included to balance the salaries a little bit and you can turn him into a first round pick at the next deadline, if you prefer. this opens the cap space rutherford is looking for and adds a proven 20g scorer.

do you really think posts on that level actually add any value to this message board?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If the devils get Boeser, they likely get the best player in the deal right now. As a Canucks fan I’d love to keep/resign him but it seems nearly impossible if it’s much higher than he makes now ($5.875).

Also I highly doubt Dickinson gets dealt for zacha (straight up). That would be robbery by JR, if so.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
You can keep repeating yourself, it doesn't make it any more true

The Devils are not trading a 23yo forward for a 26yo forward whos considerably worse, just to save cap space they dont need to save

which is funny because Vancouver is the team that actually needs cap relief, not the Devils; yet here they take on more salary for a player who is not fast nor good 5v5?

Your perspective is extremely narrow minded.

It's very conceivable that the Devils like Jason Dickinson as a player that fits your needs more (defensive bottom six winger v.s. a middle six forward that has been surpassed by several players on the depth chart).

Dickinson has not been a good fit for the Canucks - we would much rather pay more for someone with more upside.

Just because Devils don't need cap relief, doesn't mean they want to or have to commit money and term to a player they obviously don't see as a long-term fit. Devils aren't going to be taking more money because Zacha's extension will likely be north of 3.5M, which is more than what Dickinson makes...

I agree straight up doesn't seem reasonable but Taylor Hall also went for Adam Larsson. A lot weirder trades have happened in the NHL... this wouldn't even be close to one of them.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022

It's very conceivable that the Devils like Jason Dickinson as a player that fits your needs more (defensive bottom six winger v.s. a middle six forward that has been surpassed by several players on the depth chart).

Dickinson has not been a good fit for the Canucks - we would much rather pay more for someone with more upside.

Just because Devils don't need cap relief, doesn't mean they want to or have to commit money and term to a player they obviously don't see as a long-term fit. Devils aren't going to be taking more money because Zacha's extension will likely be north of 3.5M, which is more than what Dickinson makes...
You do realize 31 other teams can make offers on Zacha, right?

I can assure you the Devils can find far more value elsewhere than Dickinson straight up.

For example, a third round pick alone is more valuable than Dickinson. That saves us way more money than taking on a deadbeat like Dickinson at 2.6m

WeatherBeaten

Mar 4, 2019
how does zacha average 23 points a season?

his career low is 24 points (ignoring his first “season” where he had 2 points in 1 game)
He took his total points and divided by his 7 seasons which includes a year in which he played one game and 2 Covid shortened seasons. It’s really quite an ingenious way to undervalued a player and either clueless or completely disingenuous.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Dickinson and a 2nd for Zacha sounds pretty reasonable but the Canucks don't have a 2022 second. I guess a high-2nd equivalent prospect perhaps as the add? The Devils may value a prospect with upside who already has a season or two of development under their belt more than another roll of the dice pick that is 4 years away or more. Either way, I think we all pretty much agree the Canucks would need to add something pretty nice - thoguht certainly not a 1st or top, top prospect.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He took his total points and divided by his 7 seasons which includes a year in which he played one game and 2 Covid shortened seasons. It’s really quite an ingenious way to undervalued a player and either clueless or completely disingenuous.
he didn't even get the rounding correct. :laugh:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

I agree straight up doesn't seem reasonable but Taylor Hall also went for Adam Larsson. A lot weirder trades have happened in the NHL... this wouldn't even be close to one of them.

Trading a younger player in Zacha that has outproduced Dickinson by a considerable margin doesn't make any kind of sense for the Devils.
Even if you have to pay Zacha 3.5M for the next season or 2 it's still a lot better than paying Dickinson 2.65M for the same amount of time.
Even if they don't consider Zacha to be part of their long term plans, it doesn't change the fact that there is no chance Dickinson would be.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Dickinson and a 2nd for Zacha sounds pretty reasonable but the Canucks don't have a 2022 second. I guess a high-2nd equivalent prospect perhaps as the add? The Devils may value a prospect with upside who already has a season or two of development under their belt more than another roll of the dice pick that is 4 years away or more. Either way, I think we all pretty much agree the Canucks would need to add something pretty nice - thoguht certainly not a 1st or top, top prospect.
Canucks prospect pool is pretty shallow and we are missing our 2nd rounder. It doesn't make sense for the Canucks to do this. Most I'd be comfortable with is Dickinson+4th and maybe a prospect like Dipietro.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
you obviously don’t watch NJ. They need an entire good defensive third line. Zacha can score more but he’s redundant on NJ. The team seems to like Sharangovich more than him and they have Holtz waiting in the wings to be the PP shooter where Zacha has been most effective. There is also the tidbit that Zacha’s new agent has allegedly let it be known that the plan is for Zacha to accept the QO and go to UFA so think of him as a rental.

Sounds like Vancouver and Jersey are similar somewhat (both have skilled top-6 groups, therefore presuming for now that the incumbents don't leave, Zacha would be redundant as Vancouver has Miller, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Garland, and either Podkolzin or Hoglander occupying the top-6 spots).

If Dickinson could be traded for a responsible two-way C to play between Pearson and Hoglander/ Podkolzin and the top-6 gets hot, we should be good to go. Therefore I don't think Zacha is the guy we're really looking for, even if it's a "steal" of a swap like this. We'd just be putting him in an ill-fitting role (scorer where a two-way guy would fit best).

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad