Friedman: Canes to buyout Kotkaniemi?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
OP did not mention any of that. Hoglander will cost the Canes a pretty penny. $1 mill cap hit for a 23 year old 25-30 goal scorer is insane value.

He's referring to my thread where I proposed Necas, KK, Morrow for Hoglander, Mikheyev and Hronek. Very odd to me that a team with no top 4 RDs under contract apart from a 39 year-old Burns doesn't want one but it is what it is.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
He's referring to my thread where I proposed Necas, KK, Morrow for Hoglander, Mikheyev and Hronek. Very odd to me that a team with no top 4 RDs under contract apart from a 39 year-old Burns doesn't want one but it is what it is.
Agreed. To be fair, Canes fans balked at my proposal last year of JT Miller for Kotkaniemi + Morrow + 2nd, so I wouldn’t really take their opinions too seriously.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
OP did not mention any of that. Hoglander will cost the Canes a pretty penny. $1 mill cap hit for a 23 year old 25-30 goal scorer is insane value.
You're right. That was the other Necas to the Canucks thread where we were offered Hronek, Mikheyev + Hoglander for Necas, Kotkaniemi + Morrow.

It's still a low quality offer with two undesirable pieces in it.

Start from zero value for Kotkaniemi. We're not trading him for worse than future considerations. We'd just buy him out before we'd take back Mikheyev.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Start from zero value for Kotkaniemi. We're not trading him for worse than future considerations. We'd just buy him out before we'd take back Mikheyev.
Yeah, the objective facts/stats don’t seem to reflect that view - currently KK’s contract absolutely is negative value. And a buyout still carries a long cap hit and costs the owner lots of money for a player to not play. Easy for fans to say it’s better than taking a 2 year contract on, but real money is a factor that people often don’t seem to appreciate.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Hronek makes our defense worse not better next year.

If you're not interested that's fine, but this is silly. Several of you (Canes fans) seem to assume that when some members of an opposing fanbase want to move on from a player, or even when an opposing fanbase in general is proposing a player in a trade that they somehow lack value or "make your team worse."

Hronek is a #3 RD defenceman, the most difficult position to find. He scored 48 points last year while playing 23 minutes a night against the opposition's top lines (Necas had 53). The idea that he's undesirable or would "make your team worse" is ludicrous and nonsensical.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The depth in the RHD UFA market (Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, Tanev, Montour) is not exclusive to the Canucks to explore as an alternative to Hronek.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If you're not interested that's fine, but this is silly. Several of you (Canes fans) seem to assume that when some members of an opposing fanbase want to move on from a player, or even when an opposing fanbase in general is proposing a player in a trade that they somehow lack value or "make your team worse."
That's not it. A mutual change of environment trade for Necas is probably the best we're getting for him.
Hronek is a #3 RD defenceman, the most difficult position to find. He scored 48 points last year while playing 23 minutes a night against the opposition's top lines (Necas had 53). The idea that he's undesirable or would "make your team worse" is ludicrous and nonsensical.
He's an absolutely terrible fit for the Canes. We need a defensive top-4 RHD. Note that we're not being so ridiculous as to ask for Tom Willander despite him being exactly what we'd ideally be looking for for Necas.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Lol and skipped the important ones

Did you or did not you want write, "he makes our team worse"? And no he didn't get "handled in his own zone all season." He was dealing with some sort of an arm injury but was fine defensively all season and in the playoffs - he was an absolute killer for us in the offensive zone in the post-season. It's a stupid take, sorry.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Did you or did not you want write, "he makes our team worse"? And no he didn't get "handled in his own zone all season." He was dealing with some sort of an arm injury but was fine defensively all season and in the playoffs - he was an absolute killer for us in the offensive zone in the post-season. It's a stupid take, sorry.
When the team needs a shutdown guy and the player you are suggesting is the anthesis of that, then yea.

No arm thing confirmed. In fact Hughes said he and Hronek were just fine. Dudes were handled during the playoffs

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
When the team needs a shutdown guy and the player you are suggesting is the anthesis of that, then yea.

No arm thing confirmed. In fact Hughes said he and Hronek were just fine. Dudes were handled during the playoffs

He isn't the antithesis of that, he's a two-player who played well defensively against the top lines in the NHL all season. They weren't handled, what the f*** are you talking about? You clearly did not watch a single Canucks playoffs game. Again, if you are not interested that's fine - but these takes are nonsensical.

Reactions: viceroy

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
He isn't the antithesis of that, he's a two-player who played well defensively against the top lines in the NHL all season. They weren't handled, whatthe f*** are you talking about? You clearly did not watch a single Canucks playoffs game. Again, if you are not interested that's fine - but these takes are nonsensical.
Homer glasses, i see

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Would you like me to show you his defensive metrics? What do you think he was going playing 23:26 a night all season? Take the L and move on, you're embarrassing yourself at this point.
You don’t want to show me his defensive metrics.

Lol. I guess im the only one who wasn’t watching

• Haha
Reactions: Diamonddog01

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You don't want Hronek that's fine but he's is better than all of those players.

I quoted your exact words lol. Try watching a few more non-Canes games when possible

And he’ll cost more on the cap as a result.

Carolina doesn’t necessarily need #2 quality or whatever his contract cost reflects. Slavin is still in his prime. Orlov has the potential to get back to his peak form a year into the system and with a big contract on the line.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
IMG_2895.jpeg

Another im not the only one not watching

• Haha

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Another im not the only one not watching

You weren't watching and have not watched a single Canucks game when they weren't playing Carolina, that is abundantly clear. You are relying on a Jeff Patterson article in written about a 4 game sample size in which he states "outscored 3-2 at 5-on-5 and 6-3 in all situations with Hronek on the ice this series" lol. Really compelling stuff here.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You weren't watching and have not watched a single Canucks game when they weren't playing Carolina, that is abundantly clear. You are relying on a Jeff Patterson article in written about a 4 game sample size in which he states "outscored 3-2 at 5-on-5 and 6-3 in all situations with Hronek on the ice this series" lol. Really compelling stuff here.
Suuuurrrreeee. Carolina fans don’t watch other games, we get that all the time

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I’m in disagreement with some of the fan base in thinking Hronek would make sense for the Canes. He’d have to come in at <$7M at which point the Nucks might just sign him but if they’re that interested in Necas maybe it still works.

The rumors that we’re pushing to re-sign Skjei and not Pesce also support this.

Skjei had awful defensive metrics when we traded for him. I see Hronek as a similar potential to pick up a top-4 RHD and sign him through his prime.

I would not be interested in a Mikheyev - KK swap though.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Based on the fact Dundon owns a Sun Belt franchise and xenophobes can’t stand non traditional hockey markets.

Same reason they made up relocation rumors and lied about Dundon being able to afford Aho’s signing bonus.

And to put it in perspective: it’s $10M for an owner paying at least $880 million in payroll over the next 10 years, probably closer to $900M or more with a rising cap.

And that $800K the next few years buys $4M in cap space. Cap space is hard to come by, so paying $800K for $4M in cap space may make sense for a cap team.

Aho's signing bonus crap came from his own agent who seemed to play Bergevin to get his guy the contract he wanted. If anyone lied, it was him.

I do agree that calling Dundon cheap when he spends to the cap is dumb though.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Agreed. To be fair, Canes fans balked at my proposal last year of JT Miller for Kotkaniemi + Morrow + 2nd, so I wouldn’t really take their opinions too seriously.

Canes fans are impossible to reason with.

I said 1st + Kotkaniemi + Morrow would be a good trade last year for JTM to give them a one-two punch down the middle with Aho and Miller.

Most responses from Canes fans looked something like this: "WE WOULD NEVER DO THIS IN A MILLION YEARS. ONLY FOR FREE. WOULD NOT GIVE UP ANYTHING TO TAKE THAT ANCHOR CONTRACT. DON'T WAN'T TO TOUCH THAT CONTRACT WITH A TEN FOOT POLE".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad