Friedman: Canes to buyout Kotkaniemi?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I've thought for a while that something around KK + picks/prospects for Kadri could benefit both sides

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
As a Hab fan who was arguing that KK was extremely overrated for over a year before he left, this is extremely satisfying.

Of I'm counting correctly with the buyout KK will have cost them 25.7 million $ plus first and third round picks for three years of mediocre play. That is exactly the same cost per year as the original Aho offer sheet which their owner was so mad about.

Couldn't have happened to a better bunch of jerks.
$10m only due to the players age, as he can be bought at at 1/3 instead of 2/3, and the cap hit would be $8.8m spread over 12 years, so less than $1m/year cap hit.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
$10m only due to the players age, as he can be bought at at 1/3 instead of 2/3, and the cap hit would be $8.8m spread over 12 years, so less than $1m/year cap hit.
I believe the poster is saying the buyout of 10 million plus a season of 6.185 and 2 seasons of 4.85 = 25 some million and a 1st and a 3rd.

Teams have wasted a lot more assets / money signing guys in FA or on none producing playoff rentals. It isn’t the dig that poster thinks it is. Montreal has how many awful contracts on their books? Glass house?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
And if Pittsburgh then buys out Kotkaniemi there's a retained salary slot on the books for twice as long. See Arizona with OEL: Vancouver's buyout takes up a retained salary slot for Arizona, not a buyout slot.

Carolina's much more likely to use retained salary slots in the future than buyouts. So if they can't unload Kotkaniemi without retaining salary, they're likely to buy him out directly rather than retain salary.

A contract swap is also more likely than retained salary: send Kotkaniemi for a shorter-term similar cap hit. The other team could try him out before deciding on a buyout or just buy him out, while Carolina takes the cap hit for the next year or two.
u can have Campbell for him.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Would a team that doesn't spend to the cap be willing to do the buyout for them? Get a pick out of it?

I think the canes have almost no choice. They have to buy him out, or pay someone else assets to do it for them. He's going to be a massive anchor if they wait longer and miss the 1/3 cost window.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Would a team that doesn't spend to the cap be willing to do the buyout for them? Get a pick out of it?

I think the canes have almost no choice. They have to buy him out, or pay someone else assets to do it for them. He's going to be a massive anchor if they wait longer and miss the 1/3 cost window.

The 1/3 cost window is for players under the age of 26. KK is 23. They have time

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
That's the least surprising news of all time.

The Canucks FO has been high on him for some time and this is like the 4th time his name has come up in relation to the Canucks over the past 2 seasons. Their fans here on HF...not so much.

I figured Vancouver as a probable destination following his buyout. If they feel like they may have competition for a UFA Kotkaniemi, they might jump the queue and make the trade...I doubt it costs them anything.

Reactions: Tryamw

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The 1/3 cost window is for players under the age of 26. KK is 23. They have time

I'' admit I thought he was 24 or 25. But it still doesn't make much sense to keep him for another year during their competitive window just to buy him out later. I don't see it.

Do it now while it's cheap and they can se the space to try and win. He's keeping their Cup window closed.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
So here's the thing

6 years left at 4.82
He's overpaid this season by 2m

So you overpay a player by 2.0 m for 6 years vs having 800k on the books for 12.

The only reason you buy him out is if he doesn't fit on your roster.
You can “fit” the roster but not fit the cap.
You say over paid by 2 mill. So replace him for 2 mill and gain an extra 1.2m in cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad