Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Debatable...Tkachuk kinda does whatever he wants on the ice because he can.

Yes we see the good...but there's alot of bad penalties/indiscipline/poor defensive performance that wouldn't fly on more competitive teams.
Yeah I'm not really a Tkachuk booster, I think he gets pretty overrated here for exactly those reasons you mentioned. I just think ultimately the Habs would give him a far longer leash in the top 6 and I also don't know that they'd evaluate his defensive shortcomings properly, I don't think he'd get buried on the 3rd line especially with LW being a relatively thin position over the last couple years.

That being said I do think if we drafted him the Brady Tkachuk thread would be full of crying about "another 50pt winger" and anger that we didn't pick Quinn Hughes instead.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
The problem is that the player has to actually agree and sign the offer sheet,

I can't see Pettersson wanting to come to a rebuilding team
But that's what the Canucks are

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It’s a dangerous game when owners start to dictate what management does. Canes fans should be worried. Dundon was likely behind not wanting to pay their young goalie or Hamilton as well. Have fun with another Melnyk.

It's why I think Francis was fired in Carolina once Dundon showed up. Francis didn't want to do things the way Dundon wanted.

I understand that you're the owner and you have the right to hire and fire whoever you want. And you also have every right to be involved in decisions and be aware of everything. But at some point, you have to let your hockey guys take care of the hockey things.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
This makes me sick....feels like a lose lose scenario. I love KK and want him to stay, but not at 6.1 for the foreseeable future.

Conversely, if we lose him, the 1st and 3rd doesn't feel like it's enough.

This sucks
well said, but point 1 is more important, and at 6.1 he has to stay

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
What happens if Habs match for next years contract? Can they offer him a lower contract after a year?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's an offer sheet, you are supposed to overpay by design. If you handover a fair deal it will be matched no question asked.

Ultimately, with this gamble the Canes have more faith in KK than the Habs ever did.

I don't think it has much to do with the amount of faith the Canes have in KK. They might think he is an interesting project (which he is), but they are only offering him one year.

This is about their owner settling a score with the Habs at the expense of their own cup window.

The poison pill in this case is how this contract can mess with the Habs internal salary comparatives, and inflate the future contracts of other "cost controlled" players. It's an attack on the habs cap management structure designed to give them perpetual cap headaches even for homegrown talents.

If dundon gets KK, he gets to stroke his ego. If Montreal matches, he will take pleasure in screwing with the Habs salary cap moving forward, or potentially forcing the habs to lose him for nothing depending on how this season goes.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Canes tried to trade for him first so it was a hockey move. The only ego was burningbin for playing hardball again. Not to mention he started this last year and its his EGO that is doing the damage to the team, over and over. This is 2017 offseason bad again. Maybe he can dig up hemsky and ask him to play center, or maybe John Scott.
Just going through the motions. This was Dundon through and through trying to get revenge for Aho. No one is giving up a 1st and 3rd and paying KK $6M based on his merit.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Dundon is no different than many American franchise owner. Heck, even ours meddles by all accounts. It’s THEIR business after all.

He is a POS but not because of hockey. He’s a POS because of his previous business dealings.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just going through the motions. This was Dundon through and through trying to get revenge for Aho. No one is giving up a 1st and 3rd and paying KK $6M on his merit.
It's less about merit since many contracts are handed out less on merit and more about promise or potential.

But it's not hard to look at the details of this offer sheet and deduce that it's Dundon feeling some type of way about being somewhat embarrassed 2 years ago.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I don't think it has much to do with the amount of faith the Canes have in KK. They might think he is an interesting project (which he is), but they are only offering him one year.

This is about their owner settling a score with the Habs at the expense of their own cup window.

The poison pill in this case is how this contract can mess with the Habs internal salary comparatives, and inflate the future contracts of other "cost controlled" players. It's an attack on the habs cap management structure to designed to give them perpetual cap headaches even for homegrown talents.

If dundon gets KK, he gets to stroke his ego. If Montreal matches, he will take pleasure in screwing with the Habs salary cap moving forward, or potentially forcing the habs to lose him for nothing depending on how this season goes.
also well said

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
This makes me sick....feels like a lose lose scenario. I love KK and want him to stay, but not at 6.1 for the foreseeable future.

Conversely, if we lose him, the 1st and 3rd doesn't feel like it's enough.

This sucks

The thing is that if Kotkienemi ends up being a good 2nd line C he will worth around that very soon and his next contract will be that... so yes this sucks, but it may all even out a bit at some point

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's why I think Francis was fired in Carolina once Dundon showed up. Francis didn't want to do things the way Dundon wanted.

I understand that you're the owner and you have the right to hire and fire whoever you want. And you also have every right to be involved in decisions and be aware of everything. But at some point, you have to let your hockey guys take care of the hockey things.
He will be the "Dundon" of the farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad